Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

Gentle, educational, repetitive, bonding, supportive

Kristina Rio

Participant

Be sure to also write 5 sentence you can use when speaking to parents about musical responses.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Soothing, bonding, cooperative, warm, calming

Babies are individuals and have different responses to music that may be different from the other babies in the room.
      Bonding with caregiver is an important goal of SM1.
      Babies have different responses to calming songs versus play-songs.
      Movements that are stimulating for one child may not be for another, so as a caregiver you can try an alternate way (standing vs. sitting).
      Babies are able to engage in instrument playing with the correct instruments.
      The routine of babies are constantly changing. What doesn’t work one week, may work the next.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

I really appreciate the array of songs presented in this module. I love the idea of using both familiar and new songs. It was another wonderful reminder of incorporating hello/gathering songs, bonding songs, instrument playing opportunities, play songs and a goodbye into session planning to make for a well-rounded and functioning group.

Noelle Larson

Participant

Nurturing, child-focused, safe, embracing, inviting

Where ever you and your child are at when you come to class, it’s ok!

Notice how she grasped her instrument, that’s a great step!

Your child might feel more or less secure with this activity than other children in the room. You may adapt it to meet your baby’s needs and comfort.

When you relax and move with the music, it helps your baby feel connected to you and to the music as well.

I love the way you speak and sing to your baby, right at her level! That’s just what she needs at this stage.

Session Plan:
      *Hello: Welcome parents and babies to music, begin to take a seat on the floor, slow down from the bustle of the day

*Today’s a Beautiful Day: establishing the flow for the session

*Wiggly Jiggly Car: a lap ride/bonding song to pick up the energy and increase engagement

*Just like Me: touching child’s and parents’ body parts, establishing a connection

*I Like This Song: simple singing, allow children to explore instruments

*All of This is Me: cool down, introspective

*Goodbye: closure for the group, transition out of music

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Ideas for session plan:

“Let’s Sing Hello Together” – the hello song that I use to greet each child
      “Good morning to You” – another gathering song in 6/8 that provides that “swaying feeling”
      “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” – I also add some different movements if the babies are able to tolerate (bounce our boat, sway the boat, tickle the boat, etc.)
      “Just Like Me” – absolutely love this song with the suggestions provided in the video
      “Shake Your Shaker” – exploration of instruments
      “Snowman” with scarves – can be used as a cool down or play song depending on how it is sung and based on group need
      “Goodbye” – song for closure

Ashley Carroll

Participant

Bonding, calm, supportive, quiet energy.

Your child loves to hear your voice, keep singing!
      It’s okay for your child to sleep, you can share this music at home too!
      Sometimes children at this age want to move around a bit (sit or stand up), that is perfectly fine!
      Every child is different every day, we meet them where they are right now!
      You know your baby best, adapt the experience to allow you and your child to be comfortable and able to enjoy the music.

Ashley Carroll

Participant

SM1 Session Plan:

Housekeeping/Arrival: Recorded Music, soft guitar/piano instrumental (embedded music)
      Hello/Gathering: “Hello” Introductions and bringing awareness to each child
      Bonding/Lap Ride: “Row It Faster”: singing familiar song to encourage caregiver involvement, giving confidence. Also providing a tolerable “unknown” for baby in the change of planes in the movement portion.
      Instrument Song: “In My Little Hand” provides opportunity for instrument exploration and/or play
      Movement: “As Big As Can Be” allowing for movement and can be adapted to the level of comfort of each dyad in the group.
      Songs About Me: “Where Is My Face” using the scarves near end of session for a cool down period before closing session with a Goodbye Song-bringing closure to the session, addressing each child again.

I like the idea of using the same goodbye songs in all classes. It is nice to have something that does stay constant as the children “graduate” to other classes.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

Your child may look at me during class, but they will learn from you first!!<br />
      Theses babies love feeling the beat of the song through your movements, make sure you exaggerate your movements to the beat, or if you bounce them on the floor, make sure they’re really getting that kinesthetic input from feeling their feet on the ground.<br />
      Silence is golden, because it will be more likely that we will hear the babies initiating the musical play through singing or moving their instrument when we are quiet!.<br />
      Your child wants to hear your voice, even if you don’t think you’re a singer, in this class and in your child’s world, you are amazing!!<br />
      Be sure to face your child toward you and use very exaggerated facial expressions when interacting! They are learning expression from you!!

Kelsy Gati

Participant

nurturing, supportive, expressive, exploratory, safe

Possible sentences to parents:
      -Exploring is good! It means they are comfortable in this space.
      -All sounds are welcome here! It is so wonderful to hear your child’s voice!
      -Thank you for singing, your child knows your voice the best so it helps them get better connected to the music!
      -Your child might just not feel ready to try an instrument, let them decide when its time. Everyone likes to try new things in their own time.
      -Wow! I’m so excited that your child did the movements to that song today! Sometimes it takes a few classes and a few repetitions and today they did it!

Belinda Adams

Participant

experimenting, bonding, relationship based, child-centered, thoughtful

Let your child decide how much to participate and what participating looks like.
      It’s ok if your child doesn’t have the same response as another person’s child–it’s normal.
      Let your child put the instrument in their mouth. They are exploring it. I will sanitize it afterwards!
      Make sure you sing and chant! Your child wants to hear you much more than me!
      Participate with your child– make this about your relationship!

Welcome — music playing in the background/sign in/attendance/remove outerwear etc.
      Hello song- We’re all together is a song I like to use because most adults know it. This way it gets them singing and we can acknowledge all of the children and adults in the song. I think it’s important to acknowledge the adults – sing hello to them too- if we want them to participate.
      Movement- Row, Row, Row your Boat on the caregiver’s lap. Change in the speed or motion in the song can allow for experiences in other movements(horizontal/vertical/etc)
      “Happiness Runs” can provide for instrument exploration. The words are altered depending on what instruments the child is trying and how they are interacting with them.
      “The Noble Duke of York” can be sung as a play song that again allows movement within different body planes and is most likely a familiar tune for adults.
      “Babies have wiggles” to the tune of “Elephants have wrinkles” with scarves allows for a cool down but also pointing out of body parts and a sensory/tactile experience with scarves. I even like to give options for the materials that the ‘scarves’ are made out of this way parents/children can have more than one experience if they’d like. (this seems to be more interesting to the children who are a bit older though)
      Goodbye song – acknowledgement of caregivers and infants.

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

inviting, accepting, developing, exploring, loving

— Give yourself credit for making it here today. — Do what you need to do to make yourself and your child comfortable. — Your voice is your child’s favorite. — Look at his eye gaze. Observing is an important form of engaging and participating. — That cry is warming her up for a lovely singing voice someday! —

Anonymous

Inactive

As a reminder, this question has three parts to complete the answer.
      1. Use 5 words to describe the music experiences
      2. Write 5 sentences to you can use when talking to parents.
      3. Create a plan of songs and experiences. Please include the song titles for each are of your plan.

Keep a copy of your answer as this will be helpful for you as you bring this training into your work.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

SM1 Session Plan

Gathering: Have soft music playing, encourage parents to set up their space in the room so they feel comfortable. Have everyone make a name tag with caregiver’s name as well as Baby.

Welcome: Hello Hello- could be a cappella or with accompaniment. Keep a steady beat by tapping lap lightly. greet each child and parent individually. encourage them to tap their child on chest when their name is said to reinforce the sign language of “me.”

Bonding/Lap: “Row it Faster” familiar song with a twist! Depending on age of group, direct how to hold child in lap.

Song about me: “Just Like Me” can be intimate between child and caregiver or more outward involving class.

Instrument song: “In my little hand” use maracas, lots of silences throughout song to give babies a chance to initiate play
      Movement Song: “As Big As Can BE”baby can be on lap, but also might prefer to stand and feel the movements in that position.

Cool down/bonding: “Here is a Beehive” focuses in on caregiver and baby bond; make sure not to be too loud/dramatic to prevent startling

Farewell/closing: “Goodbye for Now” address each person again. After GBS go around and give opportunity for babies to experience the guitar.

Kelsy Gati

Participant

When parents and their baby enter the room have recorded music playing, allow time for each parent to set up and mingle and greet people as they arrive!

Start with a greeting song: Use this to connect with each child in the group, incorporate calling out each child’s name so that everyone in the group gets to know each other and get use to saying hi to everyone!

Movement: Wiggly Jiggly Car or Row it Faster: This lap movement song involves bouncing movements and an opportunity for closeness between child and caregiver! I would follow this with a slower movement song that introduces elements of body awareness. One that includes stomping, hand clapping, opening and closing hands etc. I think having a joint caregiver and child activity, such as Wiggly Jiggly Car followed by a copying activity would provide nice variety!

Instruments: In my little hand: to Explore instruments! I also might do a team rhythm stick playing activity at this point. Caregivers could hold one stick and the child could grip the other, then as a team they could hit the sticks together to make the sound…

I also might add a familiar song element, particularly when sessions are first established. I know caregivers will learn the music, but I would want there to be a couple of songs that they can sing along to so that the child has can react to their caregivers voice and in turn become comfortable in the music environment faster!

Goodbye: A parting, definitive closing to the group and an opportunity to let the music exploration time settle!

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

Come together: Have room set-up with plenty of space on periphery for all of those young infant accessories. Consider set-up to include a comfortable place to nurse or change diapers. Recorded music can be on the background, but quiet enough to allow for talking and not to startle sleepy babies.
      Hello: “Let’s All Sing for Baby” – a simple, repetitive melody where child’s name is inserted and can be accompanied by gentle tapping
      Bonding/Lap: “Come Sit With Me and Hold on Tight” – contrast between fast and slow, with consideration for the fast not to be overstimulating. Song allows for pausing and space.
      Song: “Just Like Me” – also furthers bonding with caregiver
      Instruments: “In My Little Hand” – allow for some hand over hand but also letting child explore or observe on his/her own
      Movement: “Noble Duke of York” with lifting up and down
      Relaxation: “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot” – familiar tune for parents to bring out their voices, can use gentle rocking in rhythm
      Goodbye: “It’s Time to Say Goodbye” – address each child. After song, allow for caregivers’ questions and perhaps socializing between parents.

Tiffany Lee

Participant

Gentle, cuddling, calm, close, and bonding

We are so glad you are here and you deserve credit for being here to bond with your baby. Your voice and your face is your baby’s favorite over anyone else; let them hear your and see you. Take time to slow down and enjoy this time with your baby (let go of any stress and tuck away your mind’s distractions). Your baby’s needs are the most important (bring anything you need, don’t feel bad for feeding, burping, or comforting your baby during a session). You know your child best! Hold them the way that they love and its ok to be different than everyone else (try cuddling, lap holding, leaning over them on the floor, standing them up, swaying…etc)

Welcome: Hello to Good night ladies (warm up, greeting, learning each others’ names)
      Bonding/ Lap: Wiggly Giggly Car (opportunity to pick up the speed; quick tempo changes)
      Song About Me: Just like me (tactile and visual stimulation, bonding/ teaching moment, increase awareness of body & others)
      Instrument Song: In my Little Hand (explore maracas, practice reaching and grasping, be mindful of startle reflex)
      Cool down/ bonding: My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean (swaying side to side and front to back)
      Farewell/ closing: Bye Bye Everyone with guitar (gentle closure, acknowledges each person)

Kristina Rowles

Participant

1) Gentle, Slow Pace, Cuddling, Joy, Touch

2) – Your baby is going to recognize you because of your unique vocal timbre/ voice.

– Everyone in the room is unique and their own person. Each child may respond differently to music than another child.

– It’s okay your child is asleep, you can learn the music and share it at home.

– Your child may not be ready to try an instrument, give them the option to decide when it is time.

– I know it looks like your child is bored, but really your child is confused and trying to make sense of the world. Repetition will help your child make sense of what is going on.

3) Session Plan

Gathering/Transition – “Today’s a Beautiful Day” Sway and individually greet each child with the music (guitar)

Lap Ride/ Bonding – “Little Red Wagon” Have child sit in caregiver’s lap and focus on the bond between the child and caregiver

Instrument Play/ Instrument – “In my little hand” – using small maracas and reminding caregivers to allow the child to make the choice to play and hold the maraca

Gross Motor Movement/ Movement – “As Big As Can Be” – encourage caregivers to move their child through space with gentle movement. If appropriate encourage parents to have the child stand or stand themselves

Cool Down/ Songs About Me – “Where is my face” – use scarves and encourage caregivers to allow the child to remove the scarf at their own pace

Goodbye/ Transition – “It’s Time to Say Goodbye – allow space in the music for closure and use guitar

Kristina Rio

Participant

Wonderful job with this post everyone! It was so much fun to read all of your different plans for the sessions! It’s so nice to get some fresh musical ideas, so I always love reading about what others would use for music in their classes. Once you complete the training and if you decide to become a provider you will be given access to our online Sprouting Melodies Provider Forum where you can share ideas and songs and learn from others!

Katy Hutchings

Participant

1.Connecting, Soothing, Gentle, Love, Rocking

2.Your baby wants to hear your voice more than anyone else’s. Babies don’t judge. Thank you for taking the time to be here and sharing this music with the group. Don’t be afraid of the silence. A gentle touch and a gentle voice will help your baby to learn to trust. Don’t worry about what other babies may be doing; every baby will react to music differently.

3.WELCOME –Allow time for setting up blankets, becoming comfortable in the space GATHERING – Hello Everybody (my typical Hello song but sung in a more gentler, rocking tempo and making sure to sing to everyone by name) BONDING – Row it Faster which is familiar to the adults and simple vocally, SONG ABOUT ME – Open and Shut which is a hand movement song to explore small movements with the child, INSTRUMENT – In my little hand to encourage gentle instrument play with shakers, MOVEMENT – As Big As Can Be to involve some larger movements. GOODBYE – Goodbye that clearly shows the session is over and brings closure

Kristen McSorley

Participant

Calm, intimate, soft, supportive, warm

*Your child will learn best from your voice. *Here, there is no such thing as good or bad singers. There is no wrong way to sing! *Make sure to provide repetition here, and at home, to allow your baby time to process and trust the music. *Support your child’s rhythm by moving rhythmically with them. *Use a warm, soothing sound to sing with your baby. Your child prefers higher pitches now, but it’s also important for you to be comfortable singing!

Gathering: “Good morning” opportunity to greet each child; soft, finger-picking
      Body awareness: Just Like Me, continuing a calmer, soft feel in the beginning
      Bonding/lap song: Row it faster
      Shakers: I Can Move Around; free exploration of shakers, with parent and/or baby holding depending on development
      Movement: As Big As Can Be
      Cool-down: finger play (Itsy Bitsy Spider)
      Goodbye song

Stephanie Harris

Participant

1. Gentle, Rocking, Bonding, Support, Calm
      2. He vocalized back at you, keep up that singing! She didn’t startle like she did when we were at that part last time. He is following you, you’re at a great distance from him for interaction. She’s doing such a great job grasping and shaking the maraca today. Look at that smile when we started going faster.
      3. GATHERING/GREETING- Good Morning song – adapted from Nordoff Robbins, repetitive with option to add names. BONDING SONGS- Row it Faster- a familiar song for parents to feel comfortable, but opportunity to adapt. SONGS ABOUT ME- Just Like Me- Hand motions to engage, repetitive INSTRUMENT SONG- Boom Boom- “Boom boom it’s fun to play the drum, play the drum…” “Shake Shake it’s fun to shake the maraca, shake maraca. MOVEMENT SONG- Noble Duke of York- opportunity to move child up/down. GOODBYE- “Goodbye my friends, time to go.”

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

Bonding, supportive, nurturing, exploring, child-centered

5 things to say: I love to hear you sing and so does your baby – it’s your voice that they recognize and will respond to most! Every child is different and will do new things when they are ready. It’s great to see you! I know how hard it can be to get here some days! Notice how your baby is reacting to sounds and turning towards the sound source – this is how he participates right now. Your baby doesn’t need to “play” an instrument all the time – give her a chance to explore the instrument in her own way.

Session Plan:
      Gathering – Have calm yet inviting music playing while parents get settled with babies and we do the “housework” of the session.
      Welcome – “Good morning” – encourage parents to sing to their children and acknowledge each other.
      Bonding – “Row, Row, Row, Your Boat” going into “Row A Little Bit Faster”. This starts slowly but has the flexibility to provide more stimulation if the babies are ready for it. Good to start with because the parents are familiar with it.
      Song About Me – “Just Like Me” – encourage parents to tap on babies bodies as indicated. If babies are older – have parents indicate that other babies/parents also have these things by singing specific babies name.
      Instrument Song – “I Like This Song” – use maracas and give babies chance to explore the instrument. This song encourages play while providing flexibility for babies to react in their own time.
      Movement – “I Feel The Beat” – another flexible song that parents can tap the beat on the baby or bounce them depending on their needs.
      Cool Down – “Rainbow Song” – a good song to bring the group back “down” using scarves that allows for interaction with others in the group.
      Goodbye – I have a goodbye song that it an adaptation of the Jamaican Farewell that I like to use. It is simple and easily adaptable to say bye to each child and then to the group as a whole.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Bonding, Inviting, Calm, soothing, and exploration

“Baby loves your voice, continuing singing”, “It’s alright if baby is sleeping, baby could still be listening and benefiting”, “remember how that startle reflex was a few weeks ago!”, “Keep encouraging baby to hold the instrument, baby will get it soon”, “It’s alright if baby looks confused, baby is just taking everything in”.

GATHERING: I have a hello song that I currently use that adds names in. It works well because it was be adapted easily. It is welcoming and states “it’s time for music”. BONDING SONG: Row It Faster. Start off slow and slowly get faster. Allows for parents to be able to sing along and bond with the baby. SONGS ABOUT ME: Where is My Face- Encourage families to engage with the babies during this. INSTRUMENT SONG: “Sit and Shake with Me”, use little maracas and encourage babies to maintain grasp and play instruments. MOVEMENT SONGS: As Big As Can Be GOODBYE: A lullaby rocking goodbye, especially for evening classes.

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

Caring, bonding, calm, joy, inviting

“Keep singing, the baby is attracted to your voice”
      “Good job in keeping a beat going on your baby during the song”
      “It’s ok if your baby won’t sit still, try standing him up or laying him down”
      “Look at the baby’s smile, he is fully engaged”
      “just enjoy the moment, even if they fall asleep”

SM1 plan

Have recorded music in the back ground that is alm and inviting while the parents are coming in and setting up with all of their bags, car seats.

Hello: Hello to you. Acknowledge the child by using their name. It is repedetive and includes names.

Bonding: Row it faster. Familiar song to get parents started and focus on their child rather than the song.

Songs about me: Just like me. Enganing whole baby

Instruments: Sit with me and shake. Promote graspsing and releasing and show parents how they can get their child to grasp and release items.

Movement: Pick your hands up

Goodbye: Goodbye song with repetition and allows for name placement.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content