Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Julia Park

Participant

Five words to describe music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1:
      trust, awareness, bonding, support, and joy

5 sentences you can use when speaking to parents about musical responses of children in SM1:
      Sprouting melodies 1 is a special form of early childhood music class focusing specifically on the children’s developmental level between 0-9 months old. It is very important to have knowledge on babies’ developmental growth and know what is developmentally appropriate for them. The first developmental level is the “awareness” stage and during this stage, you can expect the babies to look or not to look, reach toward music, and to turn attention toward music or turn away. The next developmental level is the “trust” stage. The babies will turn attention toward music or turn away, to choose how to explore instruments (hands or mouth), and the duration of instrument play. Music can be utilized to help babies to enhance in language approximation, tolerance of novel experiences, reciprocal communication, and movement synchrony.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session:
      1. Instrument Exploration: “Do you wanna be my friend?” Have instruments on the floor (middle of the circle) on the same eye level as the babies.Therapist begins to play an instrument while singing while babies and parents can come around and explore different instruments.
      2. Hello/Gathering:”Good Morning to you”. Go around the circle and call out the names of the each babies by replacing “to you” with their names on the second verse. Encourage other parents to sing and say the names even if it’s not their child.
      3. Body Percussion: “Are you ready for music?” Use hands to clap and feet to stomp with the help from the parents.
      4. Lap Ride / Tickles: “Hold on Tight!” or “Wiggly Jiggly Car”
      5. Instrument Play: “In my little Hand”
      6. Gross Motor Movement: “I can move around” or “Just like me”
      7. Cool Down: “All of this is me” Sing slowly in the minor key.
      8. Goodbye: “Good bye my babies” to “Rock a bye baby” tune. Make sure to go around the circle and name each babies. (Good bye my babies until next time. We will see you again next time. Good bye my darling (insert name). Good bye my babies until next time).

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

Before I post, is it alright for this assignment to use music and songs that have not been presented?

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Rebecca, absolutely! Meredith and Beth encourage everyone to use any music they have and music you may have written yourself. Beth encourages everyone to share music they have written with the group. If you become a Sprouting Melodies Provider, you are not required to use all of Beth’s songs for your groups. It is all about making the program your own. I look forward to your ideas and music!

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

Thank you Erika! I thought that was the case but just wanted to make sure.

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

Five words to describe sprouting melodies 1: Bonding, Attachment, Calm, Awareness, Trust<br />
      Five Sentences: At this age, your voice and timbre is what is most preferred and important to your child – it doesn’t matter if you think you can’t sing. Musical choices that your child can make at this are; to look or not to look at the music, to reach toward the music, or turn attention toward music or away from it. Children of this age will not be singing but they do use pitched vocalizations that will contain intervals. Your child will most likely prefer and be more responsive to higher pitches. Rhythmic movements of these children are instinctive but not synchronized to the music – watch for movements vs. the child being still.<br />
      Create a Plan:<br />
      Instrument Exploration: Depending on the group I might actually skip this one for a Sprouting Melodies 1 class, to give the parents more time to settle into the space and not to add more stimulation to infants that may be overwhelmed. After everyone settles I would use the transition song of “Good Morning to You” and have everyone sing along.<br />
      Hello Song: “Here We Are Together” Have each parent sing the name of their child while giving them a squeeze or a pat on the belly.<br />
      Body Percussion: “Just Like Me” Have parents lay their child down (or stand if it is more comfortable for the child). Have parents clap hand over hand with the child to the rhythm of the song. If You have babies that are startling be sure to play guitar in the background to keep sound through the pauses.<br />
      Lap Ride/Tickles: Use “Row It Faster” Have parents rock and support babies.<br />
      Instrument Play: “In My Little Hand” Hand out age appropriate maracas to parents. During the song, have parents give their children opportunities to play the maracas. Have them try to place the maraca handle on the midline of the hand (infants may instinctively use palmer grasp to play the maraca).<br />
      Gross Motor Movement: Use “As Big As Can Be” and have parents at first sway the child side to side them later, following the lyrics, lift their child up.<br />
      Cool Down: Fingerpick “Soft Rain” in E major on guitar, and have parents lay their babies on the ground and slowly move scarves in front of their child (within 12-18 inches) so the child can visually track.<br />
      Goodbye: Use “Goodbye” continue to finger-pick on guitar, or is more appropriate sing a Capella.

Nicole Drozd

Participant

1.Bonding, Gentle, Calm, Joy, Awareness

2. “You’re baby is not bored, he is totally confused! If the baby does something new, sing it three more times!”, “you’re child is staring at me because they don’t know who I am, but they learn better hearing it from your voice because they recognize it!”, “Don’t worry about the movements of your baby being synchronized with the music-As long as their moving and grooving that’s all we care about! They’re still getting used to their new body and all of the sensory input they are getting!”, “Don’t worry about your kiddo sucking on the shaker- they just are exploring the instrument! Plus-we have cleaner for the instruments!”

3. Plan for a group: At the beginning of the session, Allow for parents to get settled in and “build a nest” and get comfortable with their kids and environment. Instruments will be placed in the middle of a circle and both children and parents will have an opportunity to explore the instruments an environment. Once everyone settles in have parents place child on lap and begin with “Hello (NR)” (1). Invite to sway with child to the music and encourage caregiver to place a steady beat somewhere on the chid like their chest or back. As the song continues, have parents greet each other and children within the musical structure. (2) “Row it Faster” will be next with kids and parent rocking back and forth. Slow and fast building up energy and fun of the group. (3)Where is my face follows. Building off the energy of the last song, the allows kids to find their parent but visually and editorially (because depending on how young the babe is, he/she may still not be able to see). 4. Teach and sing through “in my little hand” this allows parent and child to explore the instrument and engage together. This is also a great opportunity to teach parent how to get child to grasp onto objects (by tickling the palm of their hand). 5. “Pick your hands up high” have parents sway side to side with child and then help with motor movements of child to to reach up 6. “Goodbye” have parents hold child and sway either in their arms or on their chest and sing to child.

I apologize if there were not any new songs introduced in this session plan! I have never worked in baby groups so what I learned in the videos were more of first for me!

Julia Park

Participant

Nicole, good idea to have those sentences ready! These will come in handy when we are leading groups as we are trying to do million things at once.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Nicole. You did a great job, you are welcome to use the song examples from the videos if that is all you have for this age group as well! As long as you are writing out specific songs/experiences then you are good! We want these to serve as class outlines for you to create and save for if you start groups of your own! Be sure to print out your plans so that you have them handy! Great responses so far, your detail is fantastic!

5 words to describe Sprouting Melodies 1:
      1-Calming
      2-Joyful
      3-Bonding
      4-Awareness
      5-Trust

5 sentences to describe the class to parents: Sprouting Melodies 1 is an early childhood music class specially tailored to meet each individual child’s needs and to promote overall healthy development for each child. Music is used as a tool to develop your baby’s awareness and trust, while also promoting healthy bonding between yourself and your baby. In the class, you will learn a variety of age-appropriate songs that will enhance the bond between you and your baby in a special way. The music therapist will guide you within each song on how to use your voice, gentle movement and instrumental play with your baby in an effective and developmentally appropriate way. Most importantly, the class provides an opportunity for you to spend valuable, stress-free time with your baby, without the day-to-day distractions, while also providing an opportunity for you to be a part of a community of other parents and caregivers of same age children.

SM 1 Plan: Begin by welcoming parents, allowing them to bring everything they have into the room, and giving some time for them to get comfortable in their own space. Begin singing “Hello” song, naming each child within the class, and having the adults touch their baby when their name is sung. Encourage adults to place the beat of the music somewhere on their child, by patting their chest or back. Move on to a bonding song, “Row Row Row Your Boat” – have parents sit babies on their laps, gently swaying them to a slower tempo, then gently move into the play song “Row your boat a little bit faster” for some added stimulation through increased tempo. Continue with “Wiggly Jiggly Car”, leading parents from slow lullabye tempo to the faster play song, while they hold babies on their laps. Move on to instrumental play with “In My Little Hand”, and encourage parents to tickle the middle of their baby’s hand with a shaker so that they grasp it. Gross movement song is introduced wit “As Big As Can Be”. Have parents sway children from side to side, and then pick them up high when cued by the music. Cool down with “All of This is Me”, finger picking on the guitar. Goodbye song at the end of class with parents holding child on their legs or chest.

Daniel Henry

Participant

1. 5 words to describe the music experiences in SM1:
      – Bonding
      – Adaptable
      – Trust
      – Supportive
      – Fun!
      2. 5 sentences for parents when talking about musical responses in their children:
      – I want to encourage you to sing along because your child recognizes your voice and will respond to your voice more so than anyone else.
      – Don’t worry if you’r child continues playing when the music stops or maybe doesn’t play their instrument when the music starts. Often times this is just their way of interacting with the music. They are just saying “I want more!” by playing their maraca.
      – At this point your child is in what we call the “awareness” stage. Their going to prefer consonant or happy sounding music and they are going to interact with the music by turning their attention toward or maybe away from the music.
      – Other children might be entering into the “trust” stage of musical development. Here they are going to start moving and recognizing familiar songs. They’re going to explore instruments in different ways and even create spontaneous melodies.
      – I encourage you to sing because that’s going to be the easiest way to learn these songs so you can use them at home with your kiddos.
      3. Session plan for SM1:
      – Hello today is a beautiful day (go through each child in the class by name and have the adults touch their child when their names is said.)
      – Come and sit with me and clap your hands (Child in the lap of caregiver)
      – Row it faster (Child in the lap of caregiver)
      – Wiggly jiggly car (Child in the lap of caregiver)
      – Sit with me and shake (Care giver assists child playing instrument if needed)
      – That all makes up me (Caregiver assists child in identifying parts of body)
      – Where is my face? (each adult puts scarf of their face first and then a verse where the child gets the scarf on their head)
      – As big a can be (Caregiver lifts child up)
      – Goodbye

Alexis Ramagnano

Participant

1. Bonding, trust, safety, flexibility, and supportive

2. We are here to enjoy our babies natural responses to music. Please allow yourself,and your baby, time to get settled in this space. Remember your babies need to see and hear YOU participate to get the greatest benefit from this group. Please share these songs with family and friends so they too can share them with your son/daughter. It is ok for your baby to look startled or unsure because they most likely are! This just means we should do it again.

3. Allow participants to enter and get comfortably settled while music is playing. Start with a greeting “Hello song” and incorporate each child’s name with physical touch. Then move onto a bonding song like ” Skittermarinky, Dinky, Dink” ( not sure if that’s the official song name) with child on parent’s outstretched legs. Encourage parents to make eye contact and engage their child in the movements. Next move to a song about me. I enjoy the “Just Like Me” song and would go around the group and encourage the parent to name a body part to add in for the group to sing. We would move onto an instrument song such as “In My Little Hand”. Each child and parent would have a percussion instrument to shake. Each pair would be encouraged to shake, move, and experience their shakers. Finally, we would end with a Goodbye song ( the same one each time) making sure to address each child to prepare them for their departure from music.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies® 1…gentle, calm, bonding, breathe, be

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1…1-Look at your baby follow the scarf with their eyes, that’s exactly what they should be doing. 2-Your baby can play an instrument! Just watch them hold on and shake the maraca…it may only be for a short time now, but watch closely and you will see them play longer and longer as we progress through the session of classes. 3-It may seem like your baby is not responding to much when they are so little, but really they are watching and observing. If you look closely and stay within their visual range, they might surprise you with more responses. 4-Go ahead and try having your baby stand up if they don’t like sitting, some babies like to stand while others like to sit. 5-Think of music class at this stage as your oasis, it is a time of calm, breathing and being with your baby.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies® 1 session…Gathering/Greeting song: Hello Babies-sing all babies’ names in the greeting song in a calm and steady/predictable way to welcome the babies and create a predictable environment for them the feel secure. Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car – invite caregivers to place baby on their lap and be childlike in their play with the baby, enjoying being in the moment and watching the baby’s responses. Songs About Me: Just Like Me – invite the group to sing along and follow my motions to help baby to explore and learn about their world and make connections between the caregiver and baby as well as others in the group. Instrument Songs: Egg Shakin’ Blues is a song many therapists in my area know and is so inviting and repetitive that it works well with babies who are learning to play the shakers. Bring appropriate shakers for the ages in the group as shaker eggs do not lend themselves well when working with babies. Movement Songs: Lift Up and Let it Fall is a song I use with the scarves. Caregivers can be encouraged to move the babies in the same way (falling with assistance of course!) for movement. Goodbye: Goodbye babies provides another opportunity to sing baby’s name in the song as well as closure to the group. If using guitar, babies can be given an opportunity to reach and touch or even explore the difference in sound when they touch the strings and let them go.

Susan Gannon

Participant

Since I’m joining week 6 a little late, I’ll try to be a little creative in my 5 words: of course, awareness, trust, and then stimulation, touch, bonding.

5 sentences: Sprouting Melodies 1 is a music group just for babies from birth through 9 months old. These groups provide sensory stimulation and bonding between caregiver/parent and baby in a developmentally appropriate way. As your baby grows, she/he will respond by showing awareness of your particular voice (timbre and your typical pitch range). Your baby can choose to respond by looking toward the music or away, explore an instrument or drop it, move to the music with rhythm (maybe not yet synchronized), and show surprise and attention. As your baby grows into the trust stage of development, more responses will be notable such as melody recognition and a little pitch matching.

As a music therapist, this is one age group I have rarely worked with, so I am sticking to the suggested songs in the handouts. 1) As the parents and children enter, I will have some gentle music playing or I will walk around with my guitar. I will have age appropriate instruments set out for the babies to explore. 2) I will then perform a very simple “Hello” song and encourage the parents to sing. 3) For a bonding song I would probably use the “Little Red Wagon” changing it a bit to allow for the element of surprise and a change in dynamics and tempo. 4) I know several songs about me, so this one would be easy to adapt these songs for babies. I really like the “Just Like Me” song demonstrated in the video and plan to use that one. 5) I will probably use my own “egg shaker” song for instrument play songs. I may have to adapt the words to allow for mini maracas. 6) Movement songs – For babies, I like walking the child around the room while singing Skinny-ma-rinky-do (sorry, I don’t remember how to spell it). I really like a song called “Rise, Sugar, Rise” for encouraging the children to do their own movement. 7) Goodbye.

Kate Potrykus

Participant

1) Five words to describe the SM1 experience: Awareness, calm, exploration, sensory, and inviting.

2) Five sentences: a) We invite all parents/caregivers to interact with their child as much as possible throughout the experience, b) do not be afraid to sing to your child – your voice is most important, c) use your body to engage the child in the rhythm – gently tap the beat on their body or sway and rock your child to the music, d) closeness is important for that bond, so hold your child close as we engage in the music together, and e) this music setting is for both the parent and child – feel free to bring in anything you have with you, from diaper bags to strollers.

3) I always like to have music playing as people enter – it brings them directly into the music experience without hesitation. On my guitar I would play soothing music as the families unpack, settle in, and I greet them. Instruments will be set out on the floor in the center of the circle. Instruments chosen will be instruments with a nice timbre that are easy to play, but nothing harsh like a tambourine. As families settle in, we will begin with “Hello” as we sing to one another and greet one another. I will encourage all parents to hold their children in their laps as we transition to “Row it Faster” for a bonding song. With their knees up and their child on their knees, parents will be invited to rock their child and sing along. From there, we will transition to “Just Like Me.” Parents can sit with their legs out and their child on their lap as they tap the beat somewhere on their child’s body. When a body part is identified lyrically, the parent will be guided to point to the body part on their bodies. Keeping with the theme of body parts, I would move to “In My Little Hand” for an instrument song. Again, no tambourine will be used. Instead, maracas, nesting drums, and light bells will be used to shake on the different body parts sung in the song. This will be the highest point in the session as we will start to bring it down again during the movement song. I have an unnamed song that I use with little ones to allow them to experience different planes. The lyrics are about flying in the sky like a bird and then coming down to land. Parents can either lift children up from a sitting position, or, if the child is learning to stand, they can stand as part of the movement. Finally, we will end with “Goodbye.” Everyone will be encouraged to sing as we come together again with a deep breath at the end.

Charniqua Snell

Participant

5 Words: Open, Warm, Bonding, Observant, and Calming

5 Sentences: It is okay if your child puts an instrument in their mouth, this is how they are exploring music – Sing to your child and do not worry about being perfect! They prefer your voice anyway. – Do not worry if your child only wants to observe. At this age, observing is just as important as participating. – Please sing these songs with your child outside of our group in your day to day routine – Do not stress if you are late to group, you made it out of the house with an infant! I am glad you are here

SP1
      Gathering: “Hello Everyone” – It is a very simple song that repeats and allows for the parents to say hello to the child by name. Everyone learns names and it helps build a community.
      Bonding: I really like “Wiggly Jiggly Car” and cannot wait to try it with young ones in the future.
      Instruments: Then, we would could move to “shake our sillies out” using shakers. It is a children’s song usually used for movement, but can work with any instrument you shake too.
      Songs about Me: I have a peak-a-boo song with scarves that would work for this. Using scarves, the parent would touch different body parts on the baby and/or themselves.
      Goodbye: “Goodbye Everyone” – Just like in the gathering song, it allows for the MT and parent to say goodbye to the child by name. It also is very simple and repetitive so the parents can easily remember.

Christina Bass

Participant

Bonding, trust, warmth, exploration, and joy!

“Take time for you and your baby to get settled into the space” “Your child recognizes your voice more than anyone else in the room, so I encourage you to sing along!” “I encourage you to get within 12-18 inches of your baby, that is the place they can see you best!” “Keep your scarf up high and move really really slowly so your child can follow you to the left and right” “if you tickle your baby with the end of the maraca in the palm of their hand the reflex will allow them to grasp their fingers around it.”

Session:
      Have recorded music playing as you greet the families and allow time for parents and children to get situated in the room and ready for the session.
      Gathering: Begin singing a Hello song, using just the word hello and a melody the parents can easily sing along with, encourage parents to pat their children with a steady beat. Sing through all the children’s names, having parents gently press on the chest of their child so they understand the group is saying hello to them.
      Bonging Song:
      Songs About Me: Have parents place child on their lap and sing “Just Like Me” going through various facial features.
      Instrument: Lead the group in singing “In My Little Hands” while parents support child in grasping and playing small maracas.
      Movement: Encourage parents to cradle their baby on their knees or hold them up if they are ready, sing through “Growing Up” encouraging parents to explore all the pains.
      Goodbye: Sing a goodbye song that will stay consistent throughout the sessions and different levels. Have parents and children take breaths towards the end of the song and allow time for them to rest before leaving the session.

Johanna Horn

Participant

5 Words: Bonding, Trust, Awareness, Exploration and Flexibility!

Sentences to Parents: “Welcome everyone! Please come sit down and make yourself comfortable with your child”, “Don’t worry if your child isn’t playing right now, they are observing and learning from you!”, “Parents, your children want to hear you sing–they love your voice and they are learning from the music you are making!”, “It is okay if the instrument goes into your child’s mouth–they are exploring!”, and “Sprouting Melodies 1 is here to meet the needs of your children and we will adapt to the needs of your child”

Sample Session Plan:
      (Prior to a hello song, I like to have music playing or I have my guitar/ukulele with me and I am singing/humming as children come to class) 1) Hello/Gathering Song: During the “Hello Song”, I will encourage parents and caregivers to sing, and I will offer a chance for the children to strum my guitar/ukulele (with guidance or without, depending on age).
      2) “Wiggly Jiggly Car”– a lap activity that provides bonding. Children can sit in parents laps and the children can feel and experience the movement and rhythms that their parents are making.
      3) “Where is My Face”
      4) “Sit with me and Shake”–instrument playing activity. Instruments will be placed in the circle and children and parents can choose which instruments they want.
      5) “Let’s All Move Our Bodies”–This song was written by me and I use it to move certain parts of the body and I choose individual movements from the group (Let’s move like Sally, she’s wiggling her arm, etc) The parents will guide these movements.
      6) Cool Down/Scarves/Singing
      7) “Goodbye”

Flora Whitmore

Participant

My five words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1:
      1. Calming 2. Awareness 3.Supportive 4.Nurturing 5.Bonding

Five sentences to describe Sprouting Melodies 1:
      1. Sprouting Melodies 1 is the first step in exploration of your child’s earliest development through music.
      2. We are here to guide you with developmentally appropriate and appealing music to help your child begin to explore their world and interact with you.
      3. Sprouting Melodies 1 invites to you grow and bond with your child and take part in shared, meaningful musical experiences and help you understand how your baby is developing.
      4. Move and sing, feel and listen with your baby and us- you are your baby’s first guide to their environment. Let us help you navigate together on that route.
      5. Each child is unique and develops at their own pace, and our music therapy backgrounds help you meet your kiddo where they are and nurture their responses within the music, and apply them to their experiences in your home and the outside world.

I would start with riffing on a major key on either guitar or piano in the key of the gathering song- probably Good Morning, or a song I use with my pre school and younger groups, which can be easily adapted called “Come on in” and goes through gentle swaying motions, bouncing, patting knees, touching hands or feet and has an inviting melody with gentle, ascending thirds. Parents could move babies to laps or comfortable sitting/supported position for the bonding song- I would probably use Wiggly Jiggly Car, or Trot Trot to Boston (to the tune of twinkle twinkle) with a pause after “You Might Fall…” “IN!” I would go into “Just like Me.” For an instrument song, I would use possibly use a song from my internship with a calypso beat with maracas that the parents could shake along with and sway/ bounce their babies to called the Papaya song or “hand hand finger thumb” with a drum beat, with parents can tap with their children’s fingers and nesting drums can be used to hand-over-hand gently tap pulse. For the movement song, there’s a scarf song that I learned from the ladies in my practice about falling leaves where the voice goes up in down in a 6/8 rhythm and the “down” of the leaves / scarves falling is accentuated by a drop in the voice, and can be delayed and the scarves can go “up up up” to get back up to the ‘sky’ above the heads or hands or feet of the babies. For closing, I would either use the goodbye mentioned in our course or “bye bye, butterfly” with rhyming animal words and a jazzy melody “bye bye butterfly, see you later, alligator.”

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content