Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2017 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Carolyn Keenan

Participant

5 Words to describe SM1: Stimulating, Gentle, Bonding, Discovery, Calming

Things to say to parents: I am so glad that you are here! (I know this is not specifically about music responses, but I want to remember how important it is to say this to parents when they arrive!) Your child wants to hear your voice. Sing with me now so that you remember at home. He/she is not bored, he/she is confused about this new experience. That is a perfect closeness for your baby to see you. If you put the instrument in the middle of your baby’s hand, he/she will begin to close fingers to grasp it.

(I apologize I don’t have the exact sources of some of these songs right now…I locked myself in our home office while my husband chases our toddler downstairs, and some of my music books are down in the basement! I may have to edit this later to add that information.)
      Greeting: Hello, Hello, I am happy that you are here today! *repeat* la la la, la, la la
      Bonding: Little Wheel a’Turning in my Heart — one of my personal favorites and my own son loved this one as an infant
      Songs About Me: “I Have a Body, a very busy body, and it goes everywhere with me. On my body, I have two hands, and they go everywhere with me.” — This one I learned long ago in internship from my supervisor, and she used to use a cabasa on each body part with older children, but for this age group I would just use hands to touch. Open, Shut Them — uses hands, tickling up the body to reach chin and mouth
      Instruments: I Can Play the Drum — I can play the drum, easy as can be, I can play the drum, 1-2-3, I can play the drum, come and play with me, play play the drum!)
      Movement: Roly Poly — up, down, out, in
      Goodbye: simple goodbye song with gentle arpeggios on guitar

Alison Barrington

Participant

HI. I have quite similar words to describe SM1:
      1. gentle: 2. calm: 3. space. 4: predictable. 5: intimate

Things to say to parents:
      1. This is a chance for you to have space and time to enjoy playing with your child.
      2. We’re going to slow the pace down so we can really listen and respond.
      3. Let’s keep our music quite soft and relaxed.
      4. These maracas are great for placing in your child’s hand. Let them explore the sounds and feelings.
      5. Don’t worry that your child is asleep. Enjoy learning the songs and you can use them at home.

Create a plan of songs and musical experiences:
      hello: I’ve often used the NR hello song and I like the way it’s introduced in a very simple way here (and can be developed as they get older). Bonding: I love the ones on your training video. I’ve also used one called ‘Round and round the garden, like a teddy bear. One step, two step tickly under there.’ Not sure if it’s known here. Songs about me: Again I like the ones used because they provide a sense of mirroring – so I’d probably use ‘Just like me.’ Instrument songs. I have made up a song which has the words ‘hold the maraca, hold the maraca, hold the maraca, and let it go.’ Movement song: I’ve used one that has the words ‘Here we go up, way up to the sky, here we go down again.’ That may have too many words for this age group so I might reduce down the words to simplify it but I think the tune is easy.’ I really love the fact that the goodbye stays the same throughout all SM programs. thank you!

Elana Dietz-Weinstein

Participant

Words to describe SM1: Calm, gentle, soothing, nurturing, bonding

Things to say to parents: 1. There are no right or wrongs here 2. This is your time to enjoy just being with your child 3. We are going to keep the music soft and soothing for the babies 4. The more you sing to your babies the better! 5. I encourage you to sing all our songs at home.

Create a plan: Hello song
      Bonding: Row it Faster or Tick Tock (baby placed on your lap and rock from side to side on “Tick tock, tick tock, I’m a little cuckoo clock/ tick tock, tick tock, now I’m striking one o’clock/ Cuckoo!! (lift child up)
      Songs About Me: Just Like Me
      Instrument song: I like doing a blues shake with egg shakers, very simple blues progression singing about shaking the eggs, incorporating the children’s names
      Movement: I like the old standard Happy and You Know It, for movement of arms, legs, clapping, stomping, and learning body parts. Plus there are an infinite amount of movements, sounds and words you can incorporate.
      Goodbye

5 words: gentle, sensory, bonding, awareness, calm

Things to Say to Parents:
      1. It’s important to be on your baby’s level, generally about 12-18 inches away 2. When using scarves make the scarf short so they can see it and move slowly so they are able to follow your movements. 3. It is your voice and timbre that your baby wants to hear most 4. Don’t worry if your baby is sleeping, we’re glad you are here and by being here you are learning music that you can share with your baby later. 5. Touch helps your baby bond with you, try keeping a steady beat on their body during our hello song

Session Plan:

Greeting- Good Morning
      Bonding Song- Wiggly Jiggly Car
      Song about Me- Who’s That?
      Instrument Songs- It’s Your Turn
      Movement- Pick Your Hands Up High
      Goodbye-Music Time is Over

All songs are taken from ‘You and Me Makes We’

Claudia Eliaza

Participant

5 words: Bonding, Slower Pace, Cuddling, Touch

Things to say to parents: 1. Take a moment to breathe, center yourself and be present. This is a time for you and your baby, so forget about the dishes and other things that might be on your mind. 2. Touch is love manifested – so be sure to spread that love to your baby. 3. You’re voice is your child’s favorite voice – so remember to sing to them here in class, at home, and anywhere else! 4. Remember that you can sing with energy and presence even if you’re singing quietly. 5. Your babies mind is being filled with incredible music, and all sorts of information each week; even at this young age!

Lesson Plan:
      Greeting: Good Morning (Afternoon) Song
      Bonding: Trot Trot Trot to Boston
      Song About Me: Just Like Me
      Instrument:I do a 1-4-5 progression tune to shaking tiny egg shaker maracas
      Movement:Open and Shut Them
      Goodbye: A song that requires some good vocal presence and claps (We Gotta Go)

Mabel Ortiz

Participant

Bonding, exploration. introduction, nurturing, discovery

1) Your child may respond differently to the music, and that it’s ok. 2) If your child seems overwhelmed/surprised to the instruments/music, he/she is responding to a new stimuli and therefore, exploring something new. 3) Instrument playing time serves to give your child an opportunity to explore. 4) When playing or singing quietly, we are focusing on the tempo or rhythm. 5) Making music doesn’t necessarily has to be loud.

Welcome- Hello, how are you? (Good morning, how are you?) Greeting- When I meet a new friend; My right hand says hello Movement- My hand on my head; Move your scarves Instruments- Shake, shake, shake; Leader of the band Bonding- In my own little way Goodbye- It’s time to go; Goodbye {name of child}; It’s time to go

Songs from Bright Start Music

Laura Pruett

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Gentleness
      Calmness
      Rocking
      Closeness
      Bonding

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in Sprouting Melodies 1.

1. Your child is exploring the instrument by dropping it.
      2. Your child responds best when they hear your voice.
      3. It’s ok to play with the music – start slower, go faster, end slower, make it a game.
      4. It’s ok that your child is asleep. You can both be connected through music today: Adjust and slow down your movements to match their breathing.
      5. Sitting (or holding) your child right there is perfect – they can see you best at that distance.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session

1. Good Morning – to help transition from non-music to music
      2. Today’s a Beautiful Day – encourage parents to gently press their baby’s chest while their name is being sung to reinforce that the group is acknowledging them
      3. My Eyes Are On My Face – and have parents tap or move gently the body parts sung in the song, and instead of feet stamping on the second verse, we could sing, “My feet are on the bottom. I’ll move them just a little” or “My feet are on the bottom. I’ll tickle them just a little”
      4. Row It Faster – encourage the parents to move as fast as their child can stand without overstimulating them
      5. In My Little Hand – “round and around” instead of “up and down”
      6. Pick Your Hands Up High – have the parents seat or stand the child in front of them, or on their legs so they can move the child’s arms up and down
      7. All Of This Is Me – have parents emphasize the lyrics by tapping or moving the body parts that are being sung
      8. Music Time Is Over – to cue the child we are almost done
      9. Time To Go – to ease transition out of music

Jen Hinton

Participant

Two questions for Meredith and/or the group:
      1. In SM 2 and 3 you mentioned using gathering music before we begin – what do you suggest? Do you use your own original recordings? Is it OK to use someone else’s CD?
      2. I think I feel comfortable to set a good range for Moms…I’m not sure what range is best for Dads?

5 words to describe SM1: 1. Bonding 2. Gentle 3. Calm Affect 4. Slower Pace 5. Community

5 sentences to use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1
      1. (If baby falls asleep- reassure them it’s ok)…”While they sleep you have a chance to learn songs to teach them when they at home.”
      2. This is a good time to slow ourselves down and focus on being together.
      3. We create energy using a quiet pulse…you can tap that pulse on your baby.
      4. To help your baby track you can get nice and close with your face and scarves (12-18’ is best)
      5. Sing with us now to help your baby listen and to help you remember them later!

**I am using a very similar format here to what Elizabeth and Meredith presented and trying to remember some positioning, etc…it’s funny how such “simple” songs can engage them so much and I’m trying to envision 45 minutes for this group!

SM1 Session:

Gathering – quiet music – time to gather and find comfortable space (encourage parents to bring blanket, diaper bag/get situated and find name tags with their name and baby’s)

Hello/Greeting:
      2-word hello song – baby and parent facing each other- then facing out and greeting

Today’s a Beautiful Day – “Hello to ( ) – today’s a beautiful day” (use open hand to point)
      Greet each child – cue parent to hug/press on chest to help them know “that’s you!”

Bonding Songs
      Row-Row-Row Your Boat (while child is facing parent and rocking)
      Row Your Boat A Little Bit Faster! (remind 12-18” proximity)

Songs About Me
      Where is My Face – cover with a scarf
      My eyes are on my face

Just Like Me – baby on lap/looking up; then pick up – show to group with open hand

That All Makes Up Me – baby laying down- tracking scarf

Instrument Songs
      In My Little Hand (steady rhythm, quiet pulse…”round and round” – shake it on knees, toes)

Shake-Shake-Shake with me (to Row, Row, Row) and then we will all stop
      Shake up high; shake down low; side to side

Movement
      As Big as Can Be
      Parent can cradle on knees/hold in front/assist baby to “stand”

Improvised Bonding/Movement to tune of My Bonnie

Time to Go – deep breath at the end

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Jen,

Typically the a gathering song, like “Gather Round” is used before the Hello song. Typically after families have entered and are socializing we use this to gather and come to the circle and prepare to begin. I personally never used recorded music in my sessions and actually used guitar/flute/ukulele for 1-2 songs and did everything else acapella. I needed my hands free a lot of the time so having an instrument, other than a small percussive instrument, got in the way. I forwarded this question on to Meredith and Beth, however since we are in the last few days I do not know if they will be able to comment before the end. Meredith and Beth want each provider to feel confident in running their classes in a way that works for them, so I think they would say it is fine to use recorded music for a Gathering song. You are also free to use any music that works for your class. You are not bound to use material or curriculum designated by Raising Harmony. We share Beth’s music because it is specifically designed for early childhood, but also encourage everyone to create their own too 🙂 In Sprouting Melodies 1, I had quiet and relaxing recorded music playing in the background when families entered to create an calming and welcoming atmosphere before we started. Meredith and Beth made this suggestion and it was highly effective.

Can you give more information about he “range for parents.” I am not sure if I understood the question correctly. Thank you!

Jen Hinton

Participant

Thank you, Erika, for your input.

Yes, for the recorded music I was referring to the time when parents are entering and getting settled-when the group has not officially started.

For “range of parents” I think I was asking about vocal range. I feel comfortable choosing that for women but am not sure the best vocal range to choose for men?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content