Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2014 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Barb Blackburn

Participant

Calm. Consistent. Exploratory. Engaging. Fun.

“It’s important for you to sing along as well. They will recognize the timbre of your voice.”
      “It’s okay if their child cries or turns away from the music. Not everyone likes every song.”
      “It’s important to move instruments and scarves slowly so the child can process what’s happening.”
      “Even though your child is very young they can still explore instruments and hold on to them.”
      “It’s okay if the child falls asleep. Some music has that calming effect.”

Hello/Gathering Songs – I like the one of Nordoff Robbins hello songs. It’s very simple: Hello, hello, hello. Hello, hello, hello. Hello, hello, hello to (name) today. Hello to (name), hello to you. Hello to (name) hello to you.

Bonding song – I like the lap ride songs. It’s important to keep your child close and engage with them in a fun play song towards the beginning of the session to “wake” them up/get their attention.

Instrument playing/exploring – I like the “In my Little Hands” song. Or we use the tune to “La Cucracha” while singing about playing the instrument on certain body parts.

Movement – I like the “Just Like Me” song. Something where you can move the child’s body parts as you sing about them.

Singing – Children loved to be sung to! Any children’s song could work here.

Cool down – Scarves are a great idea!! Or even a book or another song.

Goodbye – I like that you keep the goodbye song the same throughout all classes. Do you keep the hello song the same as well?

Kristina Rio

Participant

Barb, I do keep the hello song the same, however I do sometimes change up the same song to be more active with dancing for the older kids who have been in the program a long time, and may lose interest. If you can give them a more active role or musical direction such as a (ouuuuuuuuu while pointing around the room to see who’s next, who is she going to point to next?) There are subtle ways you can change it up. I do like to keep it the same structure and basic tune, and it has become the staple and favorite song for several of the families that I work with.

Lauren Roberts

Participant

(Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies® 1.)
      When initially reading this question/assignment, my first question was “describe the music experiences for who?” This almost led to my creating two lists of words: one to describe the music experiences for the babies/from the babies’ perspective, and another for the parents/from the parent perspective. As I began to do that, however, I found myself being able to justify putting an adjective on either list! Then I realized that this was the case because Sprouting Melodies 1 is so much about the shared relationship between baby and parent that their musical experiences simply cannot be exclusive of one another. When describing the musical experience of the parent, you are also describing the musical experience of the child, and vice versa. All that being said…my five words are:
      1. Engaging – The parent and baby are engaged with both the music and each other for all activities. The parents also get to engage with one another and create new friendships and relationships.
      2. Calming – For the parent, Sprouting Melodies 1 can be an escape from everything else happening in life, such as chores that need to be completed at home. For the baby, some songs may be so calming that he/she falls asleep during the class!
      3. Repetitive – This is how both parents and babies learn the songs.
      4. Welcoming – The Sprouting Melodies 1 class is an open and forgiving environment. I love the idea of each family being able to build a little “nest” with the stroller, diaper bag, blankets, etc.
      5. Reassuring – The baby is reassured by the parent and is beginning to develop toward trust. The parent is reassured by the music therapist and his/her encouragement (see sentences below).

(Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1.)
      1. Your baby will have more fun and be more likely to respond to your voice than mine.
      2. Your baby is still participating in music even if he/she is choosing to only listen (and not sing, clap, etc).
      3. Your baby is certainly capable of playing an instrument!
      4. Your baby may or may not be ready for different/increased movement. It is okay to do only what your baby prefers or is comfortable with.
      5. Your baby may respond to the same song in different ways. As long as he/she continues to respond differently, he/she is not bored and you should continue singing the same song.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies® 1 session
      Hello/Gathering – I like “Hello Everybody” from the mp3 audio sample page on the Sprouting Melodies website. It would be easy to substitute each child’s name for “everybody.”

Lap Ride/Tickles – There’s an old rhyme that may or may not have a melody (if there is I don’t know/don’t remember it). Either way, an original melody could be created.
      “Round and round the cornfield
      Looking for a hare.
      Where can we find one?
      Right up there.”
      The tickles begin with parent tracing circles on the baby’s stomach or palm of an open hand. On “right up there” parent finger-walks up the baby’s arm and then gives a gentle tickle to the neck. I imagine you could change it anyway you’d like. For example, “right down there” and walk down the leg to tickle the foot.
      Same idea exists for another rhyme,
      “Round and round the garden,
      went the teddy bear.
      One step, two steps
      Tickle under there.”

Bonding – “Row it Faster.” I loved this!

Instrument Play – “Sit With Me and Shake” Was also able to find the mp3 of this on the website!

Singing – “Where is My Face” I imagine this could incorporate other body parts? Putting the scarf on shoulder, arm, hand, etc to substitute for “face,” though it wouldn’t have the peek-a-boo quality that the scarf over the face provides.

Cool Down – Scarf movement shown in the video during the Songs About Me section that followed “Where is My Face.” The lyrics began “I see colors way up in the rainbow…” I enjoyed this transition very much and like how it provides parents with multiple ways the scarf could be used.

Goodbye – “Bye, Bye, Music Time is Done” As I developed this plan I also began to wonder what others’ thoughts would be regarding using the same song for goodbye as hello (but obviously substituting “goodbye” for every “hello” in the lyrics)?

Kristen Crouch

Participant

Calm, Exploration, Bonding, Closeness, Gentle</p>
      <p>”This is a time for you and your baby to spend some quality time together. Do what you need for your baby and enjoy yourself.”<br />
      “Pay attention to your babies cues and adjust as you need.”<br />
      “Sing along as much as you can – its your voice that your baby wants to hear.”<br />
      “Its ok if your baby responds differently to a song or activity we are doing from the other babies. Each child is unique and is developing in his own time.”<br />
      “Remember to take some deep breaths and just enjoy being with your baby. This time is for you too!”</p>
      <p>Session Plan:<br />

Exploration of instruments and welcoming music<br />

Hello song – a song to welcome everyone and help focus everyone to begin. Something in 3/4 to encourage rocking.<br />

Bonding song – a song where baby is on parent’s lap and parent engages baby with facial affect and gentle bouncing or swaying.<br />

Song about me – a song where parent is singing along about baby’s body parts, touching each part as its sung with hand or scarf, with excited affect<br />

Instrument song – a song with a strong steady rhythm where parent and baby can play along on drum or maraca<br />

Movement song – a song where parents move baby up and down, side to side, or for littlest ones gently moves hands/arms and legs/feet up and down to he beat of the music.<br />

Cool Down/Relaxation song – a quiet, slow song that again encourages rocking, perhaps something with out words but rather encourages parents to just hum along or use vowels like ahh or ooo

Goodbye song – a closing song where everyone sings along, looking at others, parents can model waving bye and smiling at others

Caitlin Kauffman

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1:
      Calming, engaging, comforting, closeness, educational.

When watching these videos, I found myself calmed and swaying with the music! I really enjoyed the music examples, and cannot wait to try these with some of my friends’ babies.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1:
      “It is most helpful for your baby to hear your voice.”
      “It is okay if your baby falls asleep. Sleep is important and it is so wonderful you both are here today with the group!”
      “Your baby needs time to process, so we will repeat songs several times so they become more familiar.”
      “Your baby can take part in playing instruments, even at such a young age.”
      “It is okay if your baby is responding differently than other babies.”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session:
      “Hello” (Gathering/Greeting Song) – I loved the swaying rhythm to this and the parent keeping a steady beat through touch on their baby.
      “Row it Faster” (Bonding Song) – This one I found particularly neat, in that it used a very familiar song and then switched gears to a very energetic (but also familiar) tune that I can imagine is very fun for parent AND baby
      “Just Like Me” (Songs about Me) – Ever since the earlier module, I have really loved this one. And in this module, I especially loved the idea of connecting with other group members as the babies get a little older. There seems to be so much opportunity here for bonding, eye contact, touch, and even using the babies’ hands as they are comfortable
      For an instrument song, I would like to try “In My Little Hand” (though I am not as familiar with the others listed…yet). I also have one that I have used years ago with kids that I believe could be used with instruments – it is repetitive, with a narrow range, and I think catchy!
      “As Big As Can Be” (Movement Song) – what a FUN song! I love the lifting the babies up high and then bringing back down, and that there are more options for when the babies are a little older.
      “Goodbye” song – for closure and consistency.

Lauren Caso

Participant

5 words: Engaging, sensory/stimuli, bonding, calming, joy.

5 sentences (I hope I am interpreting this correctly): 1.) By singing the Hello song together, you and your child are getting to know the other children and adults in the group, helping to build a community. 2.) Using the guitar (etc.) to sustain the music, this can help to fill in spaces in order to decrease a child’s startle reflex within songs/activities. 3.) It’s best to start with music familiar to your baby such as “Row, Row”, and then modify the words/activity. 4.) Singing and holding props 12″-18″ away from baby’s face is best for engaging them and getting their attention. Move scarf/prop slowly from side to side, and be sure it’s within this range of sight. 5.) Tickle baby in the middle of their hand to trigger their grasp reflex in order to hold a shaker. Tap the back of their hand to trigger their reflex to release the instrument.

Sample session/’set list’:
      Instrument exploration: Putamayo CD on with gathering drums and shakers on floor
      Hello: Hello Song (NR)
      Body Percussion: Toe-Knee-Chest nut Nose I love you (Tony Chestnut knows I love you)
      Lap Song: Choo Choo to Boston
      Instrument: B-I-N-G-O
      Gross Motor: My body makes music (English and Spanish)
      Cool down: Twinkle, Twinkle (with prop stars)
      Goodbye: Goodbye Song

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

It was great to hear some of you suggesting your own songs or ones you have used in your other sessions. We would love to hear them if you would be willing to share.
      You might also want to check out the video blogs I do for the Raising Harmony and Sprouting Melodies web sites. I have been trying to put new material there for you to have.

Bernadette Skodack

Participant

The 5 words/sentences I would use are:

Bonding- The parent(s) will bond with their babies in a variety of ways: movement songs, playing instruments together, and songs about baby.

Interactive- The parent(s) will be able to interact with their child, other parents, and other babies in the group while making music together.

Inviting- All parents and babies are welcome in music! The room is set up to create a welcome and safe space for everyone.

Child-centered- If your baby is moving, but maybe not how other babies are moving- it’s ok! He or she is exploring their world as well as themselves!

Musical- We’ll use music that may be familiar and some that will become new favorites. Parents are encouraged to use the songs at home as well. If you feel you aren’t a singer, don’t stress- it’s all about the time you spend with your baby!

For the structure of the group, I think I would do this:
      greeting- use “Today’s a Beautiful Day”…I really liked that one from the video!
      bonding- I need to try and find this song- it was one my grandma would sing to me when she would bounce me on her knee. It was called “pony boy”, and that’s sadly all I remember about it….that and her singing while bouncing me.
      songs about me- my internship director used a great song called “My Hand on My Head”. The parent can touch all the body parts, and the tune was pretty catchy.
      instrumental- definitely the small shakers and using music that is from a popular children’s show for familiarity.
      movement- a moderate piece for a “cool down” of sorts with scarves.
      goodbye- one of my favorites is “Goodbye, goodbye, it’s time to go” (to “Goodnight Sweetheart” but a little faster)

Ann Dardis

Participant

Gentle – being careful not to over stimulate or cause a startle reflex
      Bonding – through action such as cuddling, swaying, bouncing, touching
      Calming – helping families discover music that works to calm the child when he/she is upset
      Joy – incorporating playfulness in class that can be brought home
      Exploration – allowing for instruments to be placed in the mouth, slowly introducing different timbres

Amy Dunlap

Participant

Five words to describe Sprouting Melodies 1:

1. Supportive
      2. Sweet
      3. Fun
      4. Bonding
      5. Grounding

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1:

1. Your voice is the most important sound for your baby to hear.
      2. It’s okay if your baby isn’t holding an instrument; the first step in playing is listening.
      3. If you tap the beat on your baby’s body, it will help him/her to internalize the rhythm of the music we are making.
      4. Don’t worry if your baby falls asleep! That means he/she is comfortable in this space with us and sleep is so important for your baby.
      5. Did you hear that exhale? Your baby is trying to sing with us!

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Hello: “Good Morning” – I really like the mode here and think it’s a really engaging way to start the group, plus, the swaying will help to establish a cohesive energy
      Bonding Songs: “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” – making sure to gauge the babies and not to overstimulate them in the play section
      Songs About Me: “All of This is Me” – I think the minor mode will be really grounding after the more high energy (and potentially overstimulating) “Wiggly, Jiggly Car”
      Instrument Play: “I Like This Song” – simple lyrics will be easy for parents to learn and more emphasis can be placed on interacting with babies with instruments; this song is very happy
      Gross Motor Movement: “As Big as Can Be” – I really liked this song and the natural progression some babies might take in standing up
      Cool Down: “Time to Go” – this seems like a nice transition into the goodbye song and will help parents to start the transition back to real life as much as it will help the babies
      Goodbye: “Goodbye (Music Time is Done)” – I really like this song as well and would like to use it as my goodbye for SM sessions

Brandy Jenkins

Participant

**Late Entry as I am Catching Up on Posting**

5 words:

calm, bonding, stimulating, explorative, supportive

5 sentences:

“It is ok if your baby does not engage in instrument play. He/she is still experiencing sensory stimulation and will play when he/she is ready”

“Your baby may not be outwardly participating, but he/she is taking it all in and listening. Listening is just as important to development as outwardly engaging.”

“It is ok if your baby is not moving to the beat. He/she is moving and that is the start!”

“You don’t have to sing on key. The most important sound your baby hears is the sound of your voice.”

“Patting your baby to the beat will help him/her internalize the rhythm.”

Session Plan:

Greeting: “Hello Everybody”

Bonding/focus: “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” for lap

Song About Me: Some song where the parent can touch body parts and individualize the experience to their child

Instrumental: Song with no words where the children and parents can explore instruments….even at the basic level

Movement: Using scarves would be nice here. This could be used with an instrumental song as well or one with words to incorporate singing.

Cool down/Relaxation: Another lap song or lullaby

Goodbye: “”Goodbye, oh Goodbye” it is a gentle goodbye song played with an arpeggio pattern. The lyrics are “Goodbye, oh goodbye. Thank you for the music. Goodbye, oh Goodbye. Thank your for the music today”. I can incorporate names into it and spruce it up should need to end with more energy.

Sarah Gagnon

Participant

Engaging, Opportunities, Singing, Moving Listening
      Engaging: Let’s take time right now to learn to engage each other and our children.
      Opportunities: Each song can provide an opportunity to learn and grow.
      Sing: It’s not American Idol; your child wants to hear your voice!!!
      Move: Let’s start with taking a breath and moving slowly!
      Listen: Listen to what sounds your baby is making ask we sing and move to the music!

Session:
      Greeting Song “Goodmorning, Bon Dia, Buenos Dias…etc”
      Transition 1: Breathing, Stretching and beginning to move….slow lap/bonding song
      Transition 2: Move into faster lap song
      Transition 3: Head Shoulders….or another simple body awareness song
      Transition 4: Back to the lap; Take a breath and listen to what kiddos are saying/doing; Cool down song/lullaby
      Ending: Give choice of lullaby-like ending via vocals and sung ending

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content