Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – July 2014 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Kerry Cornelius

Participant

5 words to describe music experiences in SM1:
      1. Warm
      2. Gentle
      3. Predictable
      4. Calm
      5. Bonding

5 sentences to use when speaking with parents about musical responses in SM1:
      1. If your baby looks bored, he or she is just totally confused; singing songs again and again will help them adapt to this new musical environment.
      2. It is important for you to sing along with us because your baby learns from and looks for the familiar timbre of your voice!
      3. If you tickle your baby’s hand with a maraca, their reflexes will allow them to grasp it and shake.
      4. Did you notice that your baby was just vocalizing on a pitched note?
      5. It can be comforting for your little one if you gently rock or pat the steady beat of the music on their body as we sing.

A potential SM1 session plan:
      Gathering/Greeting Songs: Good Morning (EKS)
      It’s a Beautiful Day for Music (my original song with gentle patting/rocking motions)
      Bonding Songs: Row it Faster (EKS)
      Wiggly, Jiggly Car (EKS)
      Songs About Me: Where Is My Face?(EKS): peekaboo song with scarves
      Just Like Me (EKS): continue using scarves if desired; parents can dangle scarves near each body part in the song
      Instrument Songs: In My Little Hand (EKS): shaker song
      Listen to the Sound of My Drum (EKS): drum exploration song
      Movement Songs: As Big as Can Be (EKS)
      Goodbye: Music Time is Over, Music Time is Done (my original goodbye song w/ gentle fingerpicking on guitar and basic sign for “All done”)

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies® 1.
      Sing. Play. Move. Maraca. Share.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1.

1 Since children learn music in much the same way they learn language, you can expect your little one to begin experimenting with music babble and other speech sounds.
      2 Your child may initially just orient her gaze toward the music source and simply stare as she “takes in” both visual and aural stimulation.
      3 Your child may reach for the maraca and just touch it during the first session or two before venturing into picking it up and shaking it as she moves from awareness to trust.
      4 Your 9-month old is in the process of exerting his independence when he crawled over to the piano and tried to pull himself up.
      5 Did you hear that sound she just made? That’s called “audible breath” and it means that she moving toward singing!

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies® 1 session.

GREETING: Hello-Hello-Hello, and Good Morning – while rocking baby gently back and forth.
      MOVEMENT: I Like This Song – move baby gently from side to side. Row Row Row Your Boat – pick up the tempo a little. Yankee Doodle Went to Town – bounce baby up and down at a moderate tempo one time through, slow way down, then pick it up and sing one more time through while bouncing baby more briskly.
      BONDING: Java Jive – do a little “jazz dance” with baby while using exaggerated facial expressions to reflect some of the “silly” lyrics (e.g., “a cuppa-cuppa-cuppa-cuppa-cup!”).
      Ten Little Indian Maidens – hold baby in standing position and rock back and forth, then on the last line “ten little Indian maidens” hold baby up in the air and jiggle her.
      SONGS ABOUT ME: Monkey See, Monkey Do – take baby’s hands and place them near her eyes, then ears, then mouth when singing “Monkey see … hear … speak, laugh sing.” Where Is My Face? – use scarves to cover and reveal baby’s face and mom’s face throughout song.
      INSTRUMENTAL PLAY: How Much Is That Doggie In The Window? Encourage baby to shake a maraca at the end of each phrase.
      GOODBYE – I See the Moon, and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star – rock baby gently back and forth and sing quietly to help baby cool down from all the excitement. Then sing Goodbye.

Katie Bagley

Participant

5 Words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1: Gentle, Safe, Predictable, Absorbing, Familiar

5 Sentences:
      1) You can help your baby hold the maraca by tickling it in the palm of their hand! Their reflex will be to close their grasp.
      2) That was great, Emily just directed her gaze to the guitar! She is in the awareness stage of development and taking it all in.
      3) When we use these scarves, try to keep 12-18 inches between it’s end and your baby. This is the best range for their vision, to allow them to see it.
      4) If your baby has a startle response, it is a normal sign of awareness! Try elongating and smoothing your singing voice to make it flow with less abrupt breaks.
      5) Your baby has a natural familiarity with the sound and timbre of your voice. By learning and singing these songs, they will be more comfortable and drawn to the music by hearing you!

Session Plan: GREETING & GATHERING- Good Morning, Today’s A Beautiful Day. BONDING- Row It Faster, Just Like Me (Using this “Song About Me” also for bonding purposes between caregiver and baby). INSTRUMENT- In My Little Hand, I Like This Song. MOVEMENT- As Big As Can Be. COOL DOWN- Where Is My Face (Another “Song About Me” with scarves for cool down). GOODBYE- Bye Bye Music Time Is Done

Katie Romano

Participant

Five Words: 1. Bonding 2. Soothing 3. Playful 4. Rhythmic/Predictable 5. Warm

Five Sentences: 1. Watch the baby’s reflexes, but the maraca in the palm of their hand and see them grasp it! 2. Sing with us! The tamber or your voice is familiar to the baby. 3. Keep scarves roughly 12-18 inches from your child, so they can best see and track it. 4. Watch your childs eyes, see them look and track different auditory cues and visual stimulation. 5. Did you hear them sing?! They might start vocalizing some on pitch!

Session Plan:
      Greeting- Its a beautiful days (A song I learned during my internship)
      Bonding- Wiggle, Jiggle Car (EKS)
      Song About Me- Just Like Me (EKS)
      Instrument Song- In My Little Hand (EKS)
      Movement- Pick your Hands Up High (EKS)

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

5 Words: Bonding. Intuitive. Playful. Stimulating. Explorative.

5 Sentences: 1. I encourage you to slow down, take a breath, be present, and enjoy this time with your baby. 2. Put your hand on your baby’s chest when we sing “hello” to him/her. 3. Place the maraca handle in the center of your baby’s palm and they should close their hand. 4. You got out of the house! Thats great, and I’m really glad you’re here! 5. Please sing! It is most beneficial for your child to hear your voice!

Session Plan: Gathering- “Hello,” Greeting- “Today is a beautiful day,” Bonding- “Row it faster,” “Wiggly jiggly car,” Songs about me- “Just like me,” Instrument Songs- “Shakey Shakey song,” Movement- “Growing Up,” Goodbye- “Music is finished”

Shonda Malik

Participant

5 words= soothing, gentle, comforting, soft, safe

5 sentences= 1. The baby loves your voice the most. 2. The baby sees you best when you hold her 12-18 inches from your face. 3. (when they arrive late) I’m so glad you made it, join us. 4. Sway with the baby gently and slowly. 5. (baby asleep) Their sleep is important, you can learn the song and share it with your baby at home.

Session Plan; Instrument exploration with recorded music; Greeting song-“Hello”-Nordoff-Robbins, sing names; Gathering song- “Gather Round Babies” (MRP) body percussion; Bonding song- “Row it faster” (EKS) baby held in bended legs; Instrument play with “in my little hand” (EKS); movement song- “as big as can be” (EKS); cool down-‘Just like me” (EKS); goodbye-Meredith’s goodbye song

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

Five words: comforting, developmentally appropriate, unique, predictable, structured.

Five sentences: 1. By pausing in a song and waiting for eye contact; you’re promoting bonding and communication.
      2. Don’t be afraid to sing. Research shows the your baby prefers your voice and is comforted by it, no matter the quality.
      3. Swaying and rocking to the beat helps your child really feel and begin to internalize the steady beat in his body.
      4. Twelve to eighteen inches is the perfect distance between your face and your baby’s face.
      5. Listen for spontaneous focalization a while you are singing. That’s you’re child’s way of singing back to you.

Plan
      Hey, Hey (composed by my internship supervisor): gathering/greeting. Let’s Make Music (self-composed): gathering/greeting.
      Little Red Wagon (traditional): bonding song. The Noble Duke of York (traditional): bonding song. I’ve Got Two Eyes: songs about me. Just Like Me (EKS): songs about me. In My Little Hand (EKS): instrument songs. I like this Song (EKS): instrument songs. I Am So Big (self-composed): movement songs. Pick Your Hands Up High (EKS): movement songs. Goodbye (self-composed).

Christina Wensveen

Participant

5 words: Simple, Bonding, Touch, Awareness, Slowly

5 sentences:
      1) Your baby responds most to your voice.
      2) Put your hand on your baby’s chest when we sing hello so they know we are singing to them
      3) Babies see best when you or objects are 12-18″ in front of them.
      4) When placing a maraca in your babies hand, tickle their palm so they close their hand around the maraca.
      5) So glad you were able to make it today! Welcome!

Plan:
      Greeting song: “Hey, Hey” (composed by another MT) Bonding song: “Row it faster” (EKS) Songs about me: “Where is my face” (EKS) “Just like me” (EKS) Instrument song: “In my little hands” (EKS) Movement songs: “As big as can be” (EKS) “Goodbye” (MRP)

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

5 words: Gentle, Slower Pace, Flexible yet Predictable, Sensory, Calm.

5 phrases: 1. “It’s just as important for you to be here to learn the music to use at home” if the child has fallen asleep. 2. “The most important sound in the world to your child right now is your voice” to encourage them to sing. 3. “Your child is very actively engaged in listening right now” if their child is engaging, but not participating with an instrument or movement. 4. “Repetition, repetition, repetition. Then when they do something new, do it 3 more times.” 5. “Use your hands to gently tap on your baby’s body in time to the music.”

Plan-
      Greeting/Gathering: “Hello” Nordoff-Robbins version to greet and orient to names, “Hey, Hey Come and Play!” (EKS) to raise energy and start moving,
      Bonding/Sensory: “I Feel the Beat” (EKS) to start with a strong rhythmic pulse, “Swimming Together” (EKS) for some vestibular input, “Who’s That?” (EKS) to orient visual field, “Can you See Me?” (EKS) to promote eye contact with parent.
      Songs about Me: “I Can Feel my Body” Metro Music Therapy for body awareness and proprioceptive input, “Come on Let’s Make Some Music” (EKS) body part orientation, “All of This is Me” (EKS) same as previous.
      Instrument Songs: “In My Little Hand” (EKS), “One, One Play the Drum” (EKS)
      Movement Songs: “Hold on Tight” (EKS) more vestibular input, “More Music” (Self composed)to promote signing ‘more’, “I Can Move Around” (EKS) slow it down and reduce dynamic range towards the end to transition into the goodbye,
      Goodbye: “Music Time is Over”

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

5 Words: Predictable, Gentle, Playful, Structured, Bonding.

5 Sentences: 1) Your baby feels safe and connected to the sound of your voice, so yes! Sing out! 2) It’s so nice to have you here today! Take this time to enjoy it as much as your baby, you deserve it! 3) Actually, if you tickle the palm of your child’s hand, they will be more inclined to grasp the maraca. Their reflexives will allow them to also drop the maraca if you do the same once the maraca is within their grasp. 4) By learning the songs here, you will be able to bring the music home. Your child will learn through the repetition of various songs, which will support their development and growth. 5) As we sing please gently pat your baby’s chest/back, as this will enable them to feel secure and grounded by feeling the rhythmic pulse and touch of your hand.

Session Plan: Gathering song/Greeting song: “Come to The Cirle” by EKS,”We Wanna Say Hello” by Carol Robbins. Bonding/Sensory Song “Row It Faster” by EKS, “You Gotta Truck” by EKS, Songs About Me: “Where is My Face?” by EKS, Instrument Song/Exploration: “Can We Shake?” Self-composed, “I Like This Song”by EKS, Movement Song: “As Big As Can Be” by EKS, Calm, soothing/bonding music to transition to goodbye, “Music Time Is over” – “Thank You For Your Music” self-composed.

Jonni Fogerty

Participant

5 words: calming, safe, welcoming, simple, predictable

5 sentences:1)Did you notice your baby vocalizing on pitch? 2)Make sure to sing with us! It doesn’t matter how you sing. Your voice is your baby’s favorite thing to listen to! 3)It’s okay that he is turning his head from the instrument. At this stage of awareness, this is one of the choices he is able to make – whether or not to look at the sound source. 4)Your child is not bored, just confused. We’ll repeat the song a few more times to help him become more familiar with it. 5)If you tickle your baby’s palm, this will stimulate a reflex to allow him to grasp the maraca and shake along with us.

Plan: Gathering Song: Welcome to Music (Laurie Farnen); Bonding: Wiggly, Jiggly Car (EKS); Instrument: Shake, Shake, Shake (Darcy Walworth); Movement: As Big as Can Be (EKS); Goodbye: Music is Over (Laurie Farnen)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content