Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2015 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Jessica Bogacik

Participant

Five words to describe SM1 – Trust, Acceptance, Calm, Love, Bonding.
      ===========
      Five sentences to use with parents (I hope I understood this part of the assignment) –
      – “Look at how she’s watching and listening while you sing to her!”
      – “Let’s use soft warm voices and slow movements so we don’t startle or overwhelm the babies.”
      – “It’s ok that he’s looking away – he’s listening to everyone singing around him.”
      – “Take this opportunity to be relaxed and really present in this moment, to bond with your baby.”
      – “When we sing hello, press on his chest so he knows that we’re singing to him!”
      ===========
      SM1 Plan (I picked out some of my favorite songs that Meredith and Beth have shared in these modules)
      1. Hello – Today’s a Beautiful Day
      2. Just Like Me (I like how this can be adapted for older babies or younger babies)
      3. Wiggly Jiggly Car (not too fast with the younger ones, gauge babies’ readiness for faster movement)
      4. In My Little Hand (encourage baby to reach out and maybe grasp an instrument, move it slowly in front of their face)
      5. As Big as Can Be (gentle movement)
      6. Goodbye (sung like a lullabye)

Leigh Ann Walberg

Participant

Five Words: Sensory Stimulation, encouragement, quiet, startle reflex, welcoming
      Five sentences: It is important to be 12-18″ from the child for their best vision. Startle reflex is normal for this age of development, start taking notice of when they startle. When singing to them, use open palm, not pointing finger so you don’t scare them. We will keep the music quiet and calm, this will help with startle reflex also. Children this age will usually respond better to a calm affect, vs. a lot of emotions in the face.
      SM 1 Session: Gathering/Greeting time and open with Hello Song and Today’s a Beautiful Day. Bonding Song:; Row it Faster
      Songs about Me: Just Like Me, Instrument Song: In My Little Hand, using the baby maracas. Movement Song: As Big as Can Be, allowing child to stand, or tossing when appropriate. End with Goodbye song.

Melissa Hentges

Participant

Five Words: Bonding, Soothing, Gentle, Exploring, Repetition

Five Sentences for Parents:
      – Let’s move our scarves slowly so that the child can follow with their eyes.
      – Tickle their palm with the instrument and they will grasp it!
      – If they are fidgeting, your child may be more comfortable in a standing position – try holding them that way.
      – See how he turned to you when you sang? He learns from your voice first!
      – She’s not bored, she’s taking it all in so let’s sing that song again.

SM1 Plan:
      Gathering/Hello – “Where Is ______?”
      – “Where is Sara? Where is Sara? There she is! There she is!” When the child is quite young, I will look at them when I sing the question and touch their knee, tummy, or arm when we ‘find’ them. As they get a little older they start to anticipate it and will raise their arms up when they hear their name then reach out for a ‘high-five’ when I sing “There he/she is!”

Bonding Song – “Hold On Tight” (EKS)
      – I like how this song has a slow, rocking section and a faster, bouncing section. Encourage parents to be aware of their child’s reaction when the music changes so that it is not startling.

Songs About Me – “Show Me if You Can”
      – “Can you find your nose? Can you find your nose? Can you find your nose? Show me if you can!” This is a simple song about the body. I model finding each body part or touch the child’s nose/knee/toes/etc and repeat it as many times as needed before moving on to the next part.

Instrument Song – “In My Little Hand” (EKS)
      – I like how adaptable this songs is – changing how you shake (up and down, all around), changing where you shake (in your hand, on your knee), etc.

Movement Song – “As Big As Can Be” (EKS)
      – This song sounds like so much fun! Again, encourage parents to be aware of how their child is responding to the music and adjust movements accordingly.

Goodbye

Michelle Nettle

Participant

Five Words: Bonding, Warmth, Acceptance, Wonder, Gentle

Five Sentences for Parents: – 1. “The timbre of your voice is most important.” 2.”It’s important that you use a calm and soothing voice when singing to your babies to help avoid startling them.” 3. If the child is sleeping, “That’s okay because it’s just as important for you to be here and learn the music so that you can go home and sing it to your child.” 4. “It’s okay that your child isn’t always looking right at you, as he/she may be looking to hear where the sound of the guitar or other voices are coming from.” 5. “Notice how your child responds differently to slow lullaby songs vs. faster play songs and practice both kinds of songs at home to allow your child to have varied experiences with you and also develop appropriate responses to both.”

Session Plan:
      Gathering/Hello Song-The “Hello Song” that Merideth sang “Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, He-llo” with the baby lying on the floor while the caregiver gently sings and pats a steady beat on the baby

Bonding Song – “Row it Faster”- I like how this starts with a “familiar song” and has an “unexpected” twist of going faster which allows parents and babies to feel secure at first and then challenges that with something “new” that the baby and parent aren’t expecting, allowing for a bit of excitement to be shared between both baby and caregiver.

Songs About Me – “Just like Me” – I like how this song really allows the caregiver and baby to share in matching body parts that they both have and ALSO how this song allows you to broaden the experience to those in the group who ALSO have the SAME things.

Instrument Song – “In My Little Hand” – I like this song a lot and love that it uses the soft sound of the maraca to exlore not only playing it with their hands, but also playing it “on” various parts of their body (tummy, leg, arm, ext.)

Movement Song – “As Big As Can Be” This song is really fun and I like how you can adapt it from having the baby cradled in the hands in front of the caregiver to holding the baby upright standing and moving up and down. This gives much opportunity for the baby to experience movement in different planes and from different perspectives.

Goodbye- Use the Sprouting melodies Goodbye Song- I enjoy the “sighs” at the end and how this gives everyone a sense of release and signals that this time is all done and the baby and caregiver can transition naturally to leaving.

Amanda Goff

Participant

FIVE WORDS: Fun, New, Supportive, Positive and Musical
      FIVE SENTENCES: 1) Your child is watching other children not because they are not at their level, but because they are learning from what their peers are doing.
      2) Let your child explore what is around them and allow room for your child to get to know their bodies when moving.
      3) Have fun with your child, this is about having fun too.
      4) Sing these songs at home, use them in your everyday routine and it will help both you and your child to learn these amazing songs.
      5) Sing to your child, it’s your voice that your child recognizes and is most comfortable.

Session Plan:
      1) Hello~ Good Morning
      2) Gathering~ Will you Come?
      3) Bonding Song~ Hold on Tight
      4) Instrument Play~ In My Little Hand
      5) Movement~ As Big As Can Be
      6) Cool Down~ Wave the Scarves~ This is a song I have used in the past~ parents/caregivers can wave the scarves in the air and help their baby~ Wave the scarves in the air, wave the scaaarrvvess in the air, can you wave them up high, can you wave them down low REPEAT
      7) Goodbye~ Goodbye My Friends~ goodbye my friends, goodbye my friends, may you bring a happy smiiiillleeee, everywhere, everywhere you may go.

Mikhala Majeau

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

5 Words- calm, bonding, joyful, gentle, subdued

5 sentences: 1. Look at how your baby is looking at you while you are singing! 2. Your child prefers your voice and your timbre, s/he is only looking at me because I’m new! 3. Your baby is not bored, s/he is confused, let’s sing it again! 4. Hold your baby away from you, 12-18 inches is best for baby’s vision. 5. Take a moment and just be in the moment with your baby in the music! Sing to you baby at home, s/he learns from you!

Music Plan for SM1

Hello: Hello (NR) Bonding song: Row it Faster Instrument Song- In My Little Hand (I love this!!) Bonding: I Like You (EKS) Songs about Me: Just Like Me Cool Down- Scarves, maybe to recorded music or a board book. Goodbye: Thank You-Renee Coro

Steven Clarke

Participant

Five Words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1:

Gentle, supportive, consistent, developing, connections

Five sentences to use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in Sprouting Melodies 1:

“Do you see how she is looking at you when you sing, she knows your vocal timbre best.”

“Startle responses could indicate a phase of develop that they are passing through, lets keep an eye on it and see how they are
      responding during the next couple of sessions.”

“Goodbye songs can provide closure, and help your baby transition from one thing to another, he seems much more calm this week at the end of the session.”

“Some babies like to stand up, some like to sit, if your baby is fidgety or looks uncomfortable, try standing them up.”

“Can you see how supporting your baby by placing them on your knees in a sitting position allows them to really focus on you and you to focus on them?”

“Look at her feet moving while your singing and providing a steady rhythm on her body matching the music.”

Sprouting Melodies 1 music experiences and activities plan:

1) Hello, Hello (Hello/Gathering song) 2)Wiggly Jiggly Car (Bonding song) 3)Where is my face (Songs about me) 4)I see colors 5)Row it faster(Bonding Song) 6)Bye, Bye (Goodbye/Transition Song)

Natalie Condon

Participant

5 Words: Embracing, Supportive, Warm, Soothing, Approachable

5 Sentences for Parents:
      “Use the music we use here at home, the songs are for you to use as tools at home.”
      “Don’t worry if you’re late, I’m glad you made it here.”
      “When we say “hello” to your baby put a little pressure on their chest so they know that’s them.”
      “Try leaning close, about 12 to 18 inches, so your baby can see you.”
      “Your baby isn’t bored, they are just confused, repeating the song helps them get familiarized with the music.”

Class Plan:

Gathering: Recorded music with instruments in a horseshoe around the room. Get everyone settled in.
      Hello: Hello Song to greet each baby
      Ride Song: Little Red Wagon
      Instrument Song: In My Little Hand (with shakers)
      Movement Song: As Big As Can Be
      Self Song: Where oh Where is my face? with scarves
      Transition Out: Goodbye Song in lullaby form

Linda Madler

Participant

Five words to describe music experiences in SM1: joyful, gentle, connecting, calm, touch

Parents:
      “Let’s put a steady beat on your baby during the hello song, and press on your child’s chest when it’s your turn, so s/he knows we are singing to him or her.”
      “If you tickle your baby’s palm with the instrument, his or her will close around it.”
      “The sound and timbre of your voice is the most important.”
      “if you fold your scarf, it will be easier to keep it within 12-18′ of your child’s face. That is the best range for this age.”
      “We use the same goodbye song for consistency but vary the tempo and accompaniment based upon the ages. Calming breaths are good for everyone, adults included.”

SM1 Session:
      Gathering Song: Hello. (I like the idea of a firm touch/pressure when the baby’s name is used–not only so s/he knows we are singing to them, but I think it would be comforting for a child who may be uncomfortable or unsure.)
      Bonding: Row Row Your Boat and Row Faster. (I like the familiar tune for parents and the sense of play.}
      Me: Just Like Me. (Sometimes I turn my circles inside out so the parents are back to back and the children are on knees. That the way the child can look at the parent’s face as well as have contact with other children. This seems like a good one to try in that position.)
      Instrument: In My Little Hand
      Movement: Pick Your Hands Up High
      Good-bye with soft guitar, slower tempo

Anonymous

Inactive

As Beth and Kristina have shared in previous weeks, keep a copy of these great plans. You will find them helpful even after the training is complete.

Robyn Rutland-Coleman

Participant

5 words to describe Sprouting Melodies 1 music experiences: gentle, nurturing, bonding, rocking, intimate.

5 sentences to use with parents when speaking about musical responses of children in SM1: 1) Don’t be afraid to sing! Your baby knows and loves your voice best, and wants to hear it. 2) Your baby likes higher pitched voices, which you know from that natural (mommy, daddy, etc.), high voice you use with baby instinctively. That higher voice is calming to them at this stage. 3) Is your baby getting fidgety while we sing and move? Let’s try standing while you hold him, or supporting her while she stands. 4) We don’t want to sing too loudly with these little ones, since it might be too much for them, especially as they outgrow their startle reflex. 5) Let’s keep a steady beat somewhere on your baby if she’s on the floor while we sing. It will help ease her into the music and increase her awareness of it.

Here’s my sample SM1 session plan: 1) Gathering – “Good Morning”; Greeting – “Today’s a Beautiful Day” incorporating each child’s name; 2) Bonding Song – “Row it Faster” (great because it can be modified to meet the mood of the class that day, alertness/tiredness of the babies); 3) Song About Me – “Where is My Face?” with scarves; 4) Instrument Song – “In My Little Hand” with baby-safe maracas; 5) Movement Song – “Pick Your Hands Up High” (could be modified to “pick yourself up high” as caregiver holds baby up); Goodbye Song – “Goodbye” – consistently the same song each class, in order to give predictability and clear closure to babies.

Kayla Hamilton

Participant

5 words to describe the experiences in Sprouting Melodies one: supportive, bonding, exploratory, gentle, unique.

5 sentences for parents: 1. “I love how (child’s name) is actively listening to the music.” 2.”Don’t be afraid to sing with us! It is important for your child to hear your familiar voice.” 3.”Your child is bored, they are just experiencing something new and trying to understand it. Let’s sing it again to help them become more familiar!” 4. “If you child seems fidgety or uncomfortable, try standing them up.” 5. “It is great to use this music at home! It helps your child to become more familiar with what we are doing here.”

Session plan:
      1. Hello/gathering song: Hey! Hey! Come and Play! 2. Bonding song: Row it Faster 3. Me: Just like Me 4. Instrument: All Night! All Day! 5. Bonding: Horsey Carry Me 6&7. Goodbye: Thank You Very Much and Music Time is Over

Jamie Sacca

Participant

Hi all! Sorry I am behind- I was off indulging my inner child in Disney World 🙂

5 words to describe sprouting melodies 1: awareness, trust, bonding, touch, gentle

5 sentences for parents: “look at how ‘johnny’ responds to the sound of your voice, mom/dad”
      “Keep the tone of your voice gentle and calm as you sing to your baby”
      “Move baby back and forth or up and down however they are comfortable or want to move- standing
      up, being held, or with a gentle toss and catch upward”
      “Let’s repeat the song again- see if baby reacts to something new this time!”
      “You’re doing great singing along! Baby likes to hear your voice best- they know it’s you!”

Session plan: check-in time allowing parents to get settled, say hello to each other, and to check in with you.
      Hello song: hello w/rocking
      Bonding song: wiggly jiggly car w/lap ride
      Songs about me: where is my face w/scarves (maybe do on parents and on baby as they get older/are less startled)
      Instrument songs: in my little hand
      Movement song: as big as can be
      Closing: goodbye

Lauren Servos

Participant

Hi everyone! Sorry I’m behind as well. I loved reading all of your responses! Here are my ideas:

5 words to describe Sprouting Melodies 1: gentle, bonding, repetition, encouraging, loving

5 sentences for parents: “I can tell you and your baby have a strong bond! Look at how she is responding to your voice!” “There is no wrong way to participate in this class. Each baby is a unique little person and will respond best to different types of stimulation.” “Let’s try that song again, but this time, hold your baby in a different position.” “Great job, parents! I love to hear you sing, and so do the babies!” “Look at your baby gazing at you. I can tell he loves you so very much.”

Session plan: Begin with greeting time prior to the start of class. Hello: “Good Morning” (I love the sweeping melody of this one!). Bonding song: “Row It Faster” (I bet parents will be inclined to sing along since they will recognize part of it). Song about me: “Where is My Face?” Instrument song: “In My Little Hand” (This one is so adorable. I plan to use it at work tomorrow with some of my hospitalized infants). Movement song: “As Big As Can Be.” Goodbye song.

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

I am also behind…..my granddaughter and I have been busy sharing germs! Sorry.
      5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1 — clam affect, bonding, cuddling, slower pace, joy.

5 sentences to use with parents…(I hope this is right)… “Look how (baby’s name) is watching you!”, during the Hello song – encourage parents/guardians to tap a steady beat somewhere on their baby to help with bonding, “(Baby’s name) is enjoying your gentle swaying movements!”, “Your baby loves it when you sing to her!”, and “Be aware of your baby’s movements/fidgeting. She is trying to tell you something!”

Class plan ideas:
      Gathering/greeting song — Hello (from the video)
      Bonding Song — Row it Faster (EKS). This has a familiar tune so I think it would be a good one for parents to feel comfortable enough to participate.
      Songs About Me — Where is my Face? (EKS). Use scarves to help with interaction.
      Instrument Songs — In my Little Hand (EKS). I really liked this one. Use baby maracas.
      Movement/Cool Down Songs — As Big As Can Be (EKS)
      Goodbye — Goodbye Song used in the video (MRP). I liked the song, especially the slower pace, added pauses, etc.

Amanda Barnett

Participant

5 words: love, repetition, bonding, development,enjoyment

5 sentences: “You are encouraged to sing along with us! Baby doesn’t know our voices well but s/he adores the sound of mommy & daddy singing.”
      “Take these songs home & use them with your child. These are great tools we are giving you to bond with your baby and to help with their development.”
      “Don’t worry if s/he tries putting the instruments in their mouth. It’s their way of exploring the world! Plus, I sanitized them this morning so they are perfectly safe.”
      “Baby seems to be a little fidgety. How about we try this song holding them in a more comfortable position?”
      “As you sing to your baby you may feel the urge to sing in a higher tone. This is completely natural and is actually preferred by babies!”

Session plan:
      Allow everyone to come in and get settled prior to beginning session with warm, welcoming music playing softly in the background. Greet everyone with a simple (1) hello song: hello everybody (incorporate each child and parents name into the lyrics) (2) bonding song: row it faster (3) songs about me: where is my face? (4) instrument song: in my little hand (small egg shaker maracas could work well for this particular activity) (5) movement song: as big as can be (6) goodbye song wishing everyone a wonderful day.

All of these session plans sound like so much fun! I like the idea that most of the songs listed were the same, mixed and in somewhat different orders. This allows for the repetition of the songs while not following the exact same schedule every single session. I believe that mixing up the flow of things ever so often while still maintaining the same overall focus is beneficial to the parents so that they don’t get burned out too quickly. Love all of these wonderful ideas

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content