Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2015 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Emily Baroody

Participant

Five words to describe the music in sprouting melodies one:

quiet
      soothing
      supporting
      lilting
      caressing

I think the primary objective of the sprouting melodies one groups is to promote bonding between parent and child, support development through awareness into trust phase, and create a supportive community for parents. I think the music reflects that by creating a calm, quiet space and promotes participation without too many stipulations.

Anonymous

Inactive

When creating a plan for songs and music experiences Meredith and Beth are looking for you to create a class plan. Below is an example:
      Walking into class: Soothing recorded music

Hello/Gathering Song: Hello, Hello

Body Percussion: Sit Down With Me

Lap Ride: Sing! (Sing A Song)

Instrument Play: Play Your Instrument With My Music

Movement: I Can Move Around

Cool Down: Can You See Me?

Good-Bye Song: Good-bye Everyone

Kristina Rio

Participant

If you are not currently working with young children, feel free to use songs from the videos to make your plan!

Cynthia Cross

Participant

5 Words: Flowing, rocking, connection, calm, restful

5 sentences:
      Your child wants to hear your voice
      Look into your child’s eyes and smile while you say hello
      It’s okay if your child fusses!
      Your child may be more comfortable in a different position
      Take time to be aware of your child’s response

Session ideas:
      Hello song – I like your simple hello song, I’d like to write something of my own to use

Gathering song – I might try The More We Get Together

Bonding song – Row It Faster (love this idea!)

Songs about Me – Hide and Seek with scarves
      Just Like Me

Instrument song – I think I would adapt a shaking song here (Shake It Baby)

Movement song – Put Your Little Foot w/ adapted lyrics

Good-bye – We’ll Sing Good-Bye

Molly Moses

Participant

5 words: comforting, supportive, rocking, bonding, cuddling

5 sentences: It’s okay if she’s asleep, you will learn how to do the songs at home.
      Your child wants to hear your voice!
      Maintain eye contact with your child (model 12 to 18 inches) and smile.
      Try helping him stand, he might be more comfortable.
      How are you? (or similar question to check in with new parents).

Hello/Gathering Song: Good Morning
      Bonding Song: Row it Faster
      Songs About Me: Just Like Me
      Instrument Song: Sit With Me and Shake
      Movement Song: Pick Your Hands Up High
      Goodbye: Goodbye Song

Laura Silvestain

Participant

5 words: supportive, soothing, calming, stimulative, fun!

5 sentences: Music can be beneficial for everyone. It is beneficial for you, the parent, and your child by creating bonds and providing a unique shared experience. No matter how young your child is, he/she can participate. This initial bond is the foundation for future experiences with your child. It is important that stimulative and sedative music are used to keep your infant engaged and as happy as possible.

Session ideas: Hello song: Good Morning to You
      Gathering song:
      Bonding song: Hold On Tight!
      Songs About Me: Who’s That?
      Instrument Song: adaptation of a shaking song
      Movement Song: I Can Move Around
      Goodbye: Goodbye Song

Mary Kerrigan

Participant

5 Words:
      Calm, encouraging, understanding, cheerful, connected

5 Sentences:
      It’s okay if he/she is fussy. We want the child to be comfortable so do whatever your child needs, their needs come first and the group and music will still be here. Sing! Your child wants to hear you. It’s okay to get nice and close, make sure he/she can see you. Have fun and enjoy this time to bond and play with your baby.

Session Ideas:
      Entering group: Soft recorded music playing, encourage parents to get comfortable and bring in anything and everything they may need.

Hello/Gathering: Today’s a Beautiful Day

Lap Ride: Row it Faster

Song about Me: Where is My Face?

Instrument Play: Sit With Me and Shake

Movement Song: As Big As Can Be

Cool Down: Soft song with scarves maybe like the color/rainbow song that was sung in the video.

Goodbye: It’s Time to Sing Goodbye Everybody

Mary Carter

Participant

5 Words: Learning, accepting, soothing, stimulative, connecting

5 Sentences: Your voice is perfect to your baby and they want to hear you. Take this time to ignore whatever else is happening in your day and have fun being present with your child. It’s fantastic that you’re here! Feel free to let the child experience different positions, sitting, standing, cuddling or moving. Use these songs outside of the music class, deep breaths and slow singing can help calm your baby.

Gathering: Hello, Hello

Body Percussion: I’ve got the music in me (Margie LaBella, great MT with lots of original songs that are easily adaptable) Here is her webpage with lots and lots and lots of resources http://www.musictherapytunes.com/wp/author/mtt/

Lap Ride: Baby goes Bumpy Boo Here’s a link to a youtube video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=27&v=CfRovVgCXLc

Instrument Play: Shake my sillies out (Raffi)

Movement Song: Let’s all Clap our Hands Together (Hap Palmer) Here’s a video (super 80’s I know!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2cuy0HCnxU I think it’s adaptable enough for movement with babies, I’d probably use a little less synthesizer 😉

Cool Down: Way up in the sky. Ok I found this when I was looking up the Margie LaBella link to share with you, but I think this is great too with her actions the parents could adapt with their kids. I think I’d make the lyrics a little simpler, or not use all of them. Her youtube link does not work so here’s a version of it for the melody if you’re interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdFPj-4Rmi4

Goodbye: So Long, Farewell To You My Friends. Here is the video where I came across this song. I just use the chorus, you can speed it up or slow it down depending on the ages and I’ve added a tag after the chorus where I include the child’s name. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0SUEMGZU04

Corie Barkey

Participant

5 words that describe the music in Sprouting Melodies 1 would be; supportive, steady, accessible, nurturing and connecting

I loved to come up with ideas to cater to the itty bitty’s… too fun cant wait to play!!!

Gathering: Hello, Hello, Hello (This is an original sequential song that can be adapted to include names very easily)

Body Percussion: A Ramm Sam Sam

Lap Ride: Row Row Row … progressing to Row your Boat a little bit Faster

Instrument: Adaptation of the Shaking Blues

Movement: Zoom Zoom Zoom we’re Flying to the moon

Cool Down: Scarf Or Bean Bags to a “Little Song Singing in my Heart” (Tune of “Little Wheel Turing In My Heart”)

Goodbye: Goodbye Everyone

Mary Jane Dibble

Participant

5 words that describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1:
      comforting, safe, bonding, calming, uplifting

Plan for music experiences:
      *Hello Song: One that I wrote where I go around to each child and say his/her name (I also love the one shown in this video)
      *Body Percussion: Oh will you tap along with me (A song I wrote)
      *Lap Ride: The car song shown in an earlier video
      *Instrument: Shake to the music (also love the one shown in this video)
      *Movement: The Silly Song
      *Cool Down: Twinkle Little Star
      *Goodbye Song

Brianna McCulloch

Participant

5 Words: Gentle, Cozy, Safe, Engaged, Accessible (simple, learnable and singable).

Hello/Gathering Song: Hello with names (one of my own 🙂 )–love the idea of encouraging the parent to really put pressure on baby’s chest when that child’s name is being sung.

Body Percussion: Tap tap tap (one of mine)

Lap Ride: Motorboat (a game my mom did with us as kids, and I set to music…starts slow, goes fast, then you “step on the gas”)

Instrument Play: Shaky Egg (adapted for little ones from Laurie Berkner)

Movement: Move Your Body Along (from Listen and Learn Music I think…also adapted)

Cool Down: Rainbow (with scarves)

Good-Bye Song: Good-bye (usually use one of my own, but loove the one in the video for its simplicity–going to use that one this week!!)

Melaine Pohlman

Participant

5 Words: Nurturing, Non-threatening, Discovery, Supportive and Gentle

5 Sentences:

* Your baby is turning to the timbre of your voice; what a way to share the gift of your voice, a familiar, soothing and comforting sound to your baby!
      * I notice your baby’s movements are becoming more purposeful and repetitive during the music.
      *Your baby is actively making the choice to turn towards the music and reach out for to discover and explore the source of the sound.
      *Your babies recognize this familiar tune and are anticipating what is coming next.
      *Your little ones are playing and exploring instruments for longer periods of time.

Session plan: (I’m really embracing the notion that the repertoire for this age group can and should include more functional language, so I’m wanting to incorporate more songs like the ones written in “You and Me MaKes We” into my practice.)

Hello/Gathering: Good Morning

Lap Ride: Little Red Wagon

Instrument Play: In My Little Hand with shakers

Movement: As Big as Can Be

Cool Down: Just Like Me

Goodbye: Goodbye

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content