Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2015 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that I will be away this week on my honeymoon, so I will not be checking in. Please contact Erika, Meredith, or Beth with any questions you may have, and I look forwards to reading your posts when I return!

Dina Breaux

Participant

I made it a 5 word list: Welcoming, Accepting, Caring, Joyful, Fun

Dina Breaux

Participant

Oops, well I guess I will post each of this 3-part forum question separately! 🙂

Here are the 5 sentences I would most likely use with parents during a SM1 session:<br />
      1. Did you notice your daughter turned toward you when you started to sing the Hello song with me?<br />
      2. Notice how your son kicks his feet in response to your moving his feet first.<br />
      3. Even though your child may seem uninterested in what we are doing at first, they are absorbing this information and will begin to participate when they are ready.<br />
      4. It’s okay to let your child crawl around and mouth the instruments during a song. They are exploring the space and new surroundings and will join in when they are ready.<br />
      5. If your child startles when we do our moving songs, try holding him/her closer until they become familiar with it.

Lauren Klimek

Participant

If I had to use 5 words to describe SM1, they would be- inviting, warm, soothing, playful, and sensitive. Five sentences that could be used when talking to SM1 parents are, “He really responds well to you when you get just a little bit closer,” “Look at how she looks at you when you sing along or when you sing louder/softer,” “She looks like she’s ready to move, you can put her down so she can explore the instruments,it’s okay,” “Did you hear how he babbled when you were singing the hello song? He’s singing with you!” “It’s okay if your child cries, sometimes you need to let it out!” I think the last sentence is so important because often parents feel embarrassed or worried that their child is disturbing the group and we need to let them know and understand that it’s okay. If I were to plan a SM1 session, I would also start with instrument exploration but may also put out some age appropriate toys and books for the children and their care giver to explore, I would also try to go around to each child and interact with them briefly so as to re-introduce myself. After the exploration time, we would do a group clean-up with song and then go right into the hello/gathering song. After the hello, I would incorporate a bonding song into instrument play into a movement song, followed by a clean up and then go into another bonding song, songs about me and then into the cool down followed by a goodbye song. I think it’s good to have a plan for the session but also to remain flexible as sometimes that plan can go out the window depending on the children. Keeping a clear structure and format that is predictable is important too because children need that, especially at a very young age.

Joanna Calahan

Participant

5 Words: Inviting, Comforting, Accepting, Playful, and Adaptive.

5 Sentences I could use with parents in SM1: 1) It’s ok if he cries or startles. He may need more time to trust the motions for this song. 2) Did you see her reach for the (instrument)? She wants to play with you! 3) It’s ok to move with your little one! 4) Notice how your child is cooing or babbling. They’re beginning to find their voice! 5) Watch his facial expressions as you sing to him.

Lauren- I like your idea of the exploration. I typically put the instrument exploration before the “planned” instruments intervention to allow clients decision making opportunities. I think exploration is an important part of making music as it allows us to build trust within our environment, materials, and familiarize ourselves with others around us.

I use a similar structure to Beth and Meredith’s outline in the preschool program I work with right now. Sometimes I add another instrument, singing or movement song, sometimes I take away a singing intervention, but this is the primary structure I already use, and would adapt for SM1.

-Hello/Gathering
      -Bonding or Embedded Song
      -Transition Song
      -Movement
      -Instrument Exploration
      -Instrument Play/song
      -Transition/Clean up song
      -Songs About Me or second movement song
      -Cool Down
      -Goodbye Song

Gina Greeson

Participant

Five words to describe Sprouting Melodies One: Explorative, inviting, invigorating, adaptive, joyful

Five sentences for Sprouting Melodies One: “Oh look, he is mimicking your movement! It’s okay if she only plays with the maracas for a portion of the song, she is still following with us! That was great how she was cooing during the song! Look at how she smiles at you when you bounce her on your lap! It’s okay if he bounces to the music on that side of the room, he is following the music and expressing himself!

I would start with a greeting song, bonding song, transition song, movement song, instrument song, transition song, song about me, lullaby/cool down, goodbye song.

Megan Calabro

Participant

I think the five words I would use to describe SM 1 would be: calm, inviting, gentle, joyful, and welcoming.

The five sentences I might put out for parents may include: “Welcome! It’s wonderful that you’re here today.” “I invite you to really take this time to simply be, and enjoy being with your baby.” “I invite and encourage you to sing with and to your baby – yours is the voice they love more than anything.” “It’s completely fine if your baby is quiet – they’re taking it all in.” “Your baby is loving this time with you – notice how he/she is watching you, listening to you, (etc).”

I might try the following format for a group: Embedded music for exploration and setting the space; Gathering/Hello song; Holding/Bonding song (possibly an All About Me); small movement or play song; simple instrument or body percussion song; “winding down” song – possibly using a story book; Transition/Goodbye song.

Dina Breaux

Participant

As parents entered the music space, I would have soft, instrumental music playing in the background as they set up their nests. I would then begin a welcome/gathering song while parents and children move to a seated circle. Once seated, I would begin a hello song, accompanied on guitar, singing each child’s name at least twice. Next, we would sing a bonding/lap song, possibly a song about me, that might include scarves or some object that a child can track. An instrument song with drums and shakers would come next, followed by a movement song with guitar accompaniment. A story or lullaby would then help transition the class to a goodbye song, making sure to sing each child’s name. I would then turn on the quiet instrumental music again as parents packed up to go.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for sharing. When you create your plan please add the songs that would go with each section. Below is an example from my submission when I took the training. Don’t forget to save your plans as they will be of use to you in your future work.

Walking into class: Soothing recorded music

Hello/Gathering Song: Hello, Hello

Body Percussion: Sit Down With Me

Lap Ride: Sing! (Sing A Song)

Instrument Play: Play Your Instrument With My Music

Movement: I Can Move Around

Cool Down: Can You See Me?

Good-Bye Song: Good-bye Everyone

Lauren Klimek

Participant

Hello Song- come and join the circle, how do you do and shake hands
      Bonding Song- we are singing together
      Instrument play- we’re going to shake
      Transition- clean up song
      Movement- put your hands up high (scarves), where is my face
      Transition- clean up song
      Bonding song- I like you
      Cool down- swaying to guitar music and lullaby-esqe vocalizations
      Good-bye- bye bye

Gina Greeson

Participant

I’m changing my format a little bit…
      Songs to begin-Soothing music (something instrumental)
      Hello Song
      Songs About me (Where is my face)
      Bonding Song (Little Red Wagon)
      Movement Song (As Big as Can Be)
      Instrument Song ( In my little Hand)
      Songs About Me (That All Makes Up Me)
      Goodbye Song

Dina Breaux

Participant

Here is my SM1 session plan with songs included:

Quiet instrumental CD playing as families enter, with instruments set out in what will be the center of our circle

Welcome/Gathering (Good Morning To You)

Bonding/Lap/Tickles (Wiggly, Jiggly)

Songs About Me(That All Makes Up Me)

Instrument Song (I Like This Song)

Movement Song (Can You Follow?)

Goodbye (Na, Na, Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye) to each child and then the entire group

As families leave, turn on the quiet instrumental music.

I have used all these songs in my sessions with my granddaughter’s daycare group and they love them!

Joanna Calahan

Participant

-Hello/Gathering:Good Morning to You
      -Bonding or Embedded Song: Row it Faster
      -Transition Song: I Like This Song (encourage swaying or other movements to the rhythm as we prepare for movement)
      -Movement: Pick Your Hands Up High
      -Instrument Exploration
      -Instrument Play/song: In My Little Hand
      -Songs About Me or second movement song: That All Makes Up Me
      -Cool Down: Rock a Bye Baby or Hush Little Baby
      -Goodbye Song

Joanna Calahan

Participant

-Hello/Gathering:Good Morning to You
      -Bonding or Embedded Song: Row it Faster
      -Transition Song: I Like This Song (encourage swaying or other movements to the rhythm as we prepare for movement)
      -Movement: Pick Your Hands Up High
      -Instrument Exploration
      -Instrument Play/song: In My Little Hand
      -Songs About Me or second movement song: That All Makes Up Me
      -Cool Down: Rock a Bye Baby or Hush Little Baby
      -Goodbye Song

Kristina Rio

Participant

Dina, I’m glad you are able to test these songs out with your granddaughter’s daycare group! It’s so great that you have the opportunity to practice with a group of little ones!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content