Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2013 Week 6 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 1. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM1. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 1 session.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Coleen Shanagher

Participant

My five words would be: Bonding, Soothing, Appropriate, Attention, Engaging.

1. It is important for us to encourage bonding even if you are not the parent, because you are a caregiver and you have a role in teaching this child how to bond with others.
      2. We choose these instruments specifically because the sounds may not be as harsh as others.
      3. You may notice your child’s startle reflex, and this is something we want to be aware of as they are developing, and perhaps adapt some of our music experiences to be sensitive to them.
      4. At this age children show us they are engaged-or overstimulated- in subtle ways. If they look away from the music or try to move away from it this might be the child showing us it is too much for them.
      5. It’s okay if your baby falls asleep! It is just as important that you learn the songs and experiences to take home with you. We understand the value of sleep.

Session:

Greeting: Hello
      Bonding: Row Row Row your boat
      she’ll be comin’ round the mountain (I do this in a similar way as in the lecture, starting slow and then bouncing faster)
      Songs about me: Just like me ( I like this one a lot!)
      Instrument: Shake Shake (blues-y song I learned in undergrad)
      In my little hand
      I’d also probably do an improvised rhythm play here to take the words out possibly singing on one syllable
      Cool down: Twinkle, Twinkle
      Goodbye song.

Coleen Shanagher

Participant

Sorry I just noticed when I hit submit it changed the spacing and it’s a little strange. Hope you can figure out what I was saying.

Stacy Reno

Participant

5 words: supportive, warm, inviting, engaging, loving

When talking to parents: 1. It is your voice that is most important! 2. Get close to your baby -12″-18″ is a great guide. 3. Gently rub the center of your babies hand with the maraca (instrument) -they will grasp it! 3. It is important at this stage to focus on more on expressing yourself through movement and keep the singing volume at a lower level during the songs. 4. You may notice your baby becoming more fidgety and wanting to move more – they may want to stand. They are moving from awareness to the trust stage! 5. You may want to touch your baby gently but firmly when we sing their name – this encourages awareness!

I wrote this and then looked at yours Collen…very nice – I would like your class!

Hello- incorporate all names
      Bonding- Round and Round the Garden (Not remembering at the moment who wrote this) – Use a finger to circle on baby’s stomach, follow rest of song using touch
      Songs about me- Just Like Me!(EKS) – Tried this out with a few groups loved it!
      Instrument song-Shake the maracas all night! Song I made up ….sometimes it feels like that as a parent!
      Movement-Scarf song (can’t remember specific name) – (Lynn Kleiner)
      Goodbye – I would like to add the deep breath pause that you did in the video to mine. It felt right.

How long are the groups?

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Just a thought, participants in past courses have found it helpful to keep copies of their forum responses so when you are ready to provide groups you can pull out a copy of your ideas and you are good to go!
        Stacy, the Sprouting Melodies sessions are generally 45 minutes.

Erin Spring

Participant

My five words: comforting, bonding, trust, gentle and appropriate

When talking to parents:
      1. Bonding is extremely important for infants, and this class is specifically designed to support and nurture bonding.
      2. You infant prefers familiar voices. (Your voice is most important to your infant, therefore it is vital that you participate in the singing. Your infant just wants to hear your voice, no matter how you think it may sound, to your infant, there is no sweeter sound that you)
      3. The songs, movements and instruments use in this class are specifically selected and designed to provide your infant with the appropriate type and amount of sensory stimulation, which is so important to your child’s development.
      4. Your child will generally respond to sedative songs rather than play songs at this age.
      5. Your child will likely respond to and create varied pitches.

I’m not sure I can think session plan at the moment- its been a long day, but my expectation is that I will use experience demonstrated in this training, and then as I become more comfortable with the type of service, the families, and work with other therapists providing sprouting melodies, that we will adapt and create new experiences that accomplish the same things, but in our own unique ways.

Kehlen Bushatz

Participant

Words- Engaging, appropriate, calming, organized, appropriate.

1. Your (the parents) voice is most important… it’s the most familiar voice to them!
      2. Be aware of your child’s body language… if they are fidgety they may want to stand up!
      3. Babies at this age respond better to higher pitches.
      4. Touching your babies chest when we sing their name helps them develop awareness of their name.
      5. Because babies are still developing awareness at this age so we tend to use calmer music.

Session Plan
      1. Hello Song
      2. Bonding- Rig a Jig Jig… it’s easy to build fast/slow in this one!
      3. Just Like Me… I think we all love this one!
      4. Instrument- I’m Gonna Shake, Shake… not sure where I learned this one from.
      5. Movement- The Colors Are Gliding… with scarves. I think it’s a Lynn Kleiner song.
      6. Goodbye

Lauren Stoner

Participant

5 words: inclusive, open, bonding, reassuring, comforting

5 Things to tell parents/ caregivers: 1) Your voice is the one they recognize, sing along, they aren’t judging your voice and neither are we. 2) It is good to interact with your baby during the music experience, tapping a steady rhythm, or touching them for the hello song this helps with bonding and trust. 3) It is okay how your baby responds to music. 4) Notice your baby’s body language, they may prefer standing or sitting. 5) A softer more calm voice while singing may be better at this stage, but if they begin to get fussy you can increase the tempo.

Session: Hello Song; Bonding- “Just like me”; Songs about Me- “Where is my face”; Instrument Songs- On the drum (an original song); Movement Songs- “I can move around”; Goodbye Song

Toni

Participant

5 words: Bonding, comforting, loving, engaging, calming

5 Things to tell parents/caregivers: 1) Don’t worry if you think you can’t sing, the voice your child loves to hear the most is *your* voice! 2) Did you hear that?! Your child is vocalizing in response to your singing! 3) Babies respond well to songs with higher pitches. 4) Gently touching your baby when singing it’s name increases awareness 5) This class is a great place to really bond with your child through music.

Session: Hello song – Good Morning; Bonding – Songs about Me- Just Like Me; Instrument Experience- w/jumbo chiquita; Movement Experience w/scarves; Goodbye Song

Andrea U

Participant

5 words: Bonding Exploration Stimulation Awareness Attachment

5 Things to tell parents/caregivers: 1) The best way to bond with your child is to sing to them. 2) Please feel free to do what you need to do during the session! 3) It is great to provide your baby with some sensory stimulation to support the music 4) Don’t worry about this bonding method not working – each baby has their own way and be creative with this exploration! 5) Try singing in a higher pitch – babies respond better

Session Plan
      1) I Like this Song 2) Hello (NR) 3) Just Like Me 4) Pick Your Hands Up 5) Let’s Play The Drum Today (an adapted song from a Ghanaian song) 6) Twinkle Twinkle 7) Goodbye

Sarah Tree

Participant

5 words: Bonding, Intimacy, Love, Explore, Wonder

1) Don’t be afraid to sing to your baby at home, too! Your baby LOVES to her YOUR voice. 2) Sitting with your knees up and your baby in your lap is perfect. It places them at just the right distance to be able to see your face while their vision is developing. 3) Babies typically respond best to high pitches. Feel free to explore your voice here as well as at home. 4) Placing your hand on your baby’s chest when you sing his/her name can help them to increase their awareness. 5) All of the songs and instruments we will be using today have been specifically selected with your babies development in mind.

Session Plan 1) Let’s play today. 2) Hello (NR) 3) Just Like Me 4) Row it Faster 5) Something to shake 6) I can Move My Feet 7) Baby Mine 8) Goodbye

Jennifer Sokira

Participant

5 Words: Bonding, nurturing, awareness, trust, love

5 Sentences:
      1) Remember, your baby knows your voice the best
      2) I am choosing songs based on your baby’s development to meet them where they are
      3) At this age babies respond to higher vocal timbre- have you ever noticed that we do this naturally with babies? We are also doing it with some of our songs here in class
      4) I love how you are gently helping your baby experience the basic beat of the song
      5) Great job with that gentle movement song!

Session Plan:
      1) Settle in time
      2) Hello (NR)
      3) Body Percussion: Let’s Feel The Beat JS
      4) Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car ES
      5) Instrument: Shake Shake Shake JS
      6) Movement:Pick Your Hands Up High ES
      7) Cool Down: No One Like You- Muppets- also a song about me
      8) Goodbye- NR

Shannon Kiley

Participant

Calm, Comfort, Stimulation, Bonding, & Structure.

1) Look how your baby tracks the instrument with their eyes! 2) I love how you are providing a strong physical foundation to sway with your baby to the song… this helps them develop a sense of security. 3) Allow your baby to explore the instrument however they want to– drool/mouthing is OK! We clean the instruments 🙂 4) They take in a vast amount of information through their mouths at this stage. 5) Even if it looks like your baby isn’t doing anything in particular, the amount of information they are taking in is enormous and the processing is largely internal!

1) Greeting/Gathering: Good Morning! (ES) 2) Hello: Hello Everybody! 3) Bonding: You Are My Baby 4) Song About Me: Where Are Your Toes? 5) Movement: Sway With Me 6) Instruments: Instruments, Instruments 7) Cool-Down/Bonding: I Love You, You Love Me 8) Goodbye: It’s Time To Say Goodbye

Kathryn Opher

Participant

Words: Gentle, Bonding, Supportive, Calm, Touchinh

1-It’s ok he puts the instruments in his mouth. 2-I love how you are singing and looking at your baby 3- Nice movement–so soothing 4- your baby fell asleep–it’s ok, they can still hear us 5-It’s OK you are late–we are glad you are here

Hello, wiggle your fingers, shaker songs, clean up songs for putting instruments away sit or lie on the drum and sing “there’s a cobbler” (sally’s music circle) rainbow scarves–look outside my window song , goodbye

Kathryn Opher

Participant

1-It’s ok he puts the instruments in his mouth. 2-I love how you are singing and looking at your baby 3- Nice movement–so soothing 4- your baby fell asleep–it’s ok, they can still hear us 5-It’s OK you are late–we are glad you are here

Hello, wiggle your fingers, shaker songs, clean up songs for putting instruments away sit or lie on the drum and sing “there’s a cobbler” (sally’s music circle) rainbow scarves–look outside my window song , goodbye

Kathryn Opher

Participant

Petra Paukova

Participant

My five words would be: Bonding, Gentle, Soothing,Comforting and Calm.
      % sentences for parents could be: 1) Feel free to touch/pat your baby in rhythm of music for more sensory impact. They can not only hear but also feel the music with their bodies. 2) If you are afraid to sing, try humming instead. You child will like your voice anyway. 3) Your children might seem non responsive, but look at their eyes! Their eyes are tracking all we do here and trying to find the resource of the sounds. 4) This is perfect bonding time for you and your child. 5) Look how she is reaching towards you with her hand. She wants you to pick her up and sing!
      Session Plan: 1) I Like this Song: sing a long 2) Hush a bye: gentle movement 3) Sit Down With Me: bonding song 4) Swimming Together 5) Hey a naa, hoy a naa: body/drum play 6) Twinkle Twinkle 7) Music time is over

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content