Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Kelsy Gati

Participant

exploratory, playful, surprise, engaged, spontaneous

Possible Session Plan:
      Hello: Everybody Hello! I love how this song involved two words, it is so simple and appropriate to greet each child and their caregiver, it provides an opportunity to greet one another and give everyone a chance to be acclimated to the space and get to know one another!
      Lap Song: Wiggly Jiggly: Love this one, I think it is so different if used in this age group, there is a new developmental level of anticipation with this age range. I think emphasizing closeness between caregivers and child and having those anticipated bounces as well as the safety of having the caregivers arms around the child is beneficial when creating connections
      Just Like Me: I think this promotes great body awareness and opportunities to form relationships and connections between child and other people
      In my Little Hand: With Shakers: To encourage instrument playing
      Movement: March with my Baby: Use fast, slow, stop and go cues!
      Goodbye: Thank you Very Much: to close the session and thank everyone for being present, also to provide a definitive and predictable ending.

Possible sentences to parents:
      -Thats wonderful that your child is singing the songs at home! When they are ready they will share that in group!
      -Don’t worry if your child is not copying or focused on me the entire time! 45 minutes is a long time for a baby, they are still listening and being a part of the group!
      -I am so happy to see everyone exploring! That means they are comfortable and finding where the fit within the space!
      -Look at how they are starting to anticipate those stopping and starting points! They are learning!
      -If your child puts their instrument down thats okay! Offer it to them again in a few minutes and maybe they will want to try again!

Kristina Rowles

Participant

5 Words

Playful, observation, energy, surprise, exploration

Sentences

Make sure your child’s foot is flat on the ground so he/she feels grounded and organized.

Some children will want to stay close to you and some will want to explore and that is okay!

It’s okay if your child isn’t following the directions, it’s about making their own choice. Even if they are just watching you their mirror neurons are firing and they are still learning.

We can’t expect the children to pay attention for the whole 45 min. It’s okay for them to move in and out of the activity.

I know your child is singing at home and that is great! When he/she feels comfortable he/she will sing here.

Session Plan

Sit Down w/ Me (Gathering) – This is a great song for gathering and getting everyone involved with the different movements and singing

Wiggly Jiggly (Lap Ride/ Bonding) – It’s important to remember that the children will feel a little unsafe in this position and they will also begin to anticipate the movements.

In My Little Hand (Instrument Play) – This is a great song for shakers as children learn how to use them.

As Big As Can Be (Gross Motor Movement) – The scarves are a great tool to use during this song. They are bright and colorful which is fun and playful for the kids.

Just Like Me (Songs about Me) – It’s important to remind parents to let their kids face out in the circle and see everyone if appropriate.

Music Time is Over (Goodbye) – This is a great song to bring closure to the group.

Stephanie Harris

Participant

1. Playful, energy, spontaneous, explore, free
      2. Wow, listen to how he is vocalizing that syllable with us. It’s okay for him to wander around the room, we want him to explore! It’s great that he’s exploring the drum by rubbing it and feeling it, he’ll learn to bang on it soon. Look at how he’s banging the maracas together, that’s a great skill at this age. He just pointed to the right body part we sang!
      3. GATHERING/GREETING- “Hey, Hey, Come and Play” to start to bring parents and children together and transition to “Hello” with children’s names added. BONDING- “Hold On Tight” to encourage children to sit and bond with parent, engage in rocking type movements to the song, with slight changes in tempo or some spontaneity. SONGS ABOUT ME- “All of This is Me” to work on body parts, and repetitive words could encourage speech imitation. INSTRUMENT SONGS- “In My Little Hand” to encourage moving in general direction of song and again syllables to encourage some imitation of speech. MOVEMENT SONG- “Will You Come” to encourage following movements. GOODBYE- “Goodbye my friend, music is done.” repetition from SM1.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Playful, Free, Energetic, Surprising, Fun

Make sure your baby’s feet are planted firmly on the ground. Your baby enjoys bonding with you, but also may feel secure enough to engage with the other adults/peers in the room. Your baby is able to make musical choices even if they are not doing what the music therapist is doing. Have your baby face outward, so they can see the environment around them. It is okay for your baby to explore my guitar.

“Let’s Sing Hello Together” – hello song to greet each child.
      “Hey, Hey Come And Play” – additional gathering song.
      “Wiggly, Jiggly” – bonding song with the sensation of movement.
      “Open, Shut Them” – songs about me. I adapt the lyrics to this for familiar song.
      “Shake Your Shaker” – a stop and go shaking song with the element of surprise along with different musical choices.
      “Come Along And Sing This Song” – (subbing word “play” or “drum” for the word “sing”) – drumming on the gathering drum.
      “Walking, Walking” – opportunity for movement, running, jumping, marching.
      “Goodbye Song” – closure, goodbye song

Kristina Rio

Participant

Great session plans everyone! Your sentences are perfect! They are short enough to share in between cleaning up instruments or quickly during experiences so you are getting information out there but not talking so much that you lose the attention of the children!

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

Energizing, playful, predictably spontaneous, silly & fun!

Exploring this entire room is completely normal and fantastic! The children are showing us that they feel safe enough in this space to make their own choices.

Your little ones really want to feel grounded, so make sure when you bounce their feet on the floor, you’re giving them a lot of input through their feet! This includes taking off those shoes!!

I love hearing that your child is acting out music class at home!! It is very normal for these kids to take in and process what we do at music and let it out in their home, a.k.a. “the comfort zone.”

Don’t worry about your child coming up to me and exploring the instruments I’m using, even if it’s my guitar. It gives me a chance to know them a little more, and I don’t mind sharing!

Musicking comes in many forms. We can play instruments, sing, listen, dance, sit quietly, etc. All are valid forms of musical expression in this class, and your child will most likely demonstrate all of them at one point or another!

Session Plan:

Let’s make some Music!: gathering/instrument exploration
      Hello Hello: Welcome song, validating each individual in the group
      William Tell’s Ride: Lap/bonding song
      Can you see me?!: Songs about me, small movement
      Shake, uh-huh: instrument song (maracas/jingle bells)
      Rig-a-jig-jig: Gross motor movement
      Sunshine on my shoulders: Book/cool down
      Goodbye Song: Farewell

Noelle Larson

Participant

Anticipation, joyful, familiar, opportunity, nurturing

*Notice how your child is sitting: he feels safe with your arms keeping him steady, but he is so interested in seeing the activity in the room!
      *I love the way you let your daughter choose as many instruments as she would like! This time is all about exploration.
      *Great job engaging your baby’s full body and flat feet when helping her jump!
      *It’s ok to want your toddler to stay close, but it’s good for him to feel free to move around the room, as well.
      *When we pay close attention to how our babies respond to surprises, we can give them the sensory stimulation they crave without it being too much.

Session Plan:
      *Good morning to You: Greet children and parents
      *Hey! Hey! Come and Play!: Invite group members into the fun of making music together, opportunity to bounce child and rhythmically engage body.
      *A Car On My Knee: this embedded song has a steady rhythm that group members can move to as we warm up for music.
      *Wiggly Jiggly Car: Lap ride/bonding. Offers opportunity for anticipation and surprise.
      *March With My Baby: Higher energy movement song, offers variety of energy levels as group members engage by jumping, marching, etc.
      *In My Little Hand: Brings the energy of the group back down while keeping the excitement and engagement with the music
      *All of This is Me: Opportunity for calming and introspection as group gets ready to wind down.
      *Music Time is Over: Signals that the time has come to transition out of music.
      *Thank You Very Much: Group bonding, help each child feel valuable and important.

Kristen McSorley

Participant

Laughter, observation, trust, adventure, curiosity

Kristen McSorley

Participant

*It’s perfectly okay for your child to engage in music differently than the song suggests! *Exploring the instruments in non-traditional ways, including mouthing, is okay and typical behavior. *Even when your child is watching and listening, they’re absorbing information and learning! *It’s important to alternate between upbeat and soothing experiences to allow for a full range of emotional and sensory experience. *Your child is curious to explore their environment yet also relies on you to provide safety and reassurance.

Session plan: *Gathering: Hello- spending time greeting each person; Hey Hey! Come and Play! a second hello song used to further integrate children into the session and provide elements of surprise. *Bonding: Wiggly jiggly car (this song’s just that incredible). *Just like me: soothing in comparison, provides opportunities for introspection and body percussion; *Instrument: Shake, shake, shake, a shaking song with high energy, using directions for modeling; I Like this Song, a calmer instrument song focused on simple enjoyment *Gross motor movement: Will You Come? engaging in various gross motor activities- jump, tiptoe, crawl, run. *Goodbye song

Katy Hutchings

Participant

Exploring, motion, joy, safety, absorbing

It’s fine if your child refuses to sit in your lap! Some children may want to sit, others will stand, and others will wander. Don’t worry if your child is not vocalizing in class. They are too busy absorbing all the music! Help your child feel both in control and supported at the same time. We all need a break from high-energy songs – that is why we incorporate some gentler music throughout the session.

Session plan: Gathering – Hello song (for names and setting the music tone) and then Hey! Hey! Come and Play! to add a bit more energy. Bonding – Wiggly Jiggly Car (allow for lap time with the caregiver and include some predictable surprises), Song About Me – Just Like Me (parents can still be physically connected to children and sing to and with them), Instrument Song – Dancing in the Middle (to help encourage exploration and some movement), Movement Song – Can you follow (to encourage gross motor movement with instruments in hand) Goodbye song

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

lively, animated, exploring, mobile, adult-base

— See how your child is anticipating the movements? — How nice it is that all children have found a lap, even if it’s not who they came with! They’re learning to trust others. — It is fine for your child to be mobile and exploring. — You are still their home base. — Your child is loving the surprise and timbre in your voice, watch her attention! —

Gathering: Sit Down with Me and Sing This Song – “shepherd” the children back to their adult base
      Hello: Hello Everybody – greet the group with a 2 word song, option to add childrens’ names
      Lap/bonding song: Wiggly Jiggly Car – observe children session to session anticipating movements
      Song about me: Can You See, See, See? – allow opportunity for response
      Instrument: Play, Play, Play (“Old Joe Clark”) – sing and play, include opportunities for directional playing
      Movement: Walking, Walking (“Frere Jacques”) – varying mobile movements, can be held by parent, or practice holding hands
      Movement: Let’s Go Fly a Kite – with scarves
      Winding Down: You Are My Sunshine – allow for a quieter moment after movement and bonding time with caregiver
      Goodbye: Well It’s Time to Say Goodbye – allow for guitar exploration

Ashley Carroll

Participant

Playful, Exploration, Variety, Excitement, Interaction

It is wonderful that your child feels comfortable/safe enough to explore on his/her own.

Your son’s/daughter’s independence is not them rejecting you, it is a developmental milestone that occurs at this age, and its a good thing!
      It is expected that children may move in and out of activity throughout session, let them explore.
      Rest assured, ALL instruments are washed before each session to keep them germ-free!
      Remember, play is the work of children! There is no wrong or right way to participate!

Session Plan

“Hello Everybody”- Greeting everyone in the group
      “Hey! Hey! Come and Play” – inviting them to engage in the music, setting tone for the session.
      “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” – Lap ride, bonding with caregiver and child, in later sessions children may be on other adults laps.
      “Sit with Me and Shake” – instrument discovery and play, in repeats of song, leave room for response and anticipate surprises.
      “Pick Your Hands Up High” – I LOVED this idea with the scarves, body awareness through movement.
      “Can You See Me” -with scarves, (can you tell I love scarves!) Transition song of body awareness, slowing down to bring session to close.
      “ Music Time is Over”- brings closure to session, and provides transition to continue to the next activity outside of group.

Tiffany Lee

Participant

Discovery, playful, movement, energetic, Surprise.

Your child is experimenting with independence! It’s ok if she is focused on you or if she turns outward to explore and interact with others. It’s ok if your child doesn’t do everything or follow directions perfectly. This is simply an invitation and giving him/ her choices on how to play. Mouthing the instruments is a normal part of development; we do disinfect instruments between each session. It’s wonderful that your child is roaming and exploring/ interacting with the other parents and children, but its also normal if they want to stay close to you. When helping your child stomp, press their feet flat on the floor, not just their heels to the floor.

Hello Everybody- Greeting/ Gathering, Hold on Tight- Bonding Song, Just like me -songs about me, Shake our Sillies Out- Instrument song, As big as can be- movement song, Goodbye Song and Thank you very much as families leave.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

Fun, Playful, Exploring, Energetic, Interactive

It is alright if the child is not sitting the circle the whole time, Let your child hide, he/she will come out when they are ready, She is watching you move, he/she doesn’t have to move exactly like us, It is alright if the instrument goes in his/her mouth, we have a sanitizing bucket to indicate they need cleaned, It is completely fine if your child is running around the room.

Greeting/Gathering: Hey! Hey! Come and Play!, Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car, Songs About Me: Just Like Me, Instrument Song: Sit with me and Shake, Movement Song: March With My Baby, Goodbye Song: Thank You Very Much and Goodbye.

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

Playful, Energetic, Discovery, Surprise, Adventurous.

It’s okay if your child is exploring the instruments and playing them in unusual ways – All instruments are sanitized between sessions. Kids want to explore at this age, so it’s okay if he moves around the room – he doesn’t have to sit still! Sometimes your child needs to practice being independent, so he may wander away from you – he likes that he can come back to you when he needs to! ! It’s great that your child is singing at home – often they will listen to and learn a song here but won’t sing it until later. There is no right or wrong way to participate – you can tell she is participating by the way she is…(exploring that instrument, stopping and looking when the music stops, etc).

Gathering – Good morning – good way to welcome everyone to the room and enables you to sing to each child/parent.
      Bonding – Row, Row followed by “Row A Little Faster” – This is a good song that parents are familiar with so hopefully they will feel comfortable singing which works into more stimulation as the children are ready.
      Songs About Me – Just Like Me – allows opportunities for response and for parents to connect with children.
      Inst. Song – I like This Song – a simple structure that gives lots of opportunity for free instrument play/exploration.
      Movement – I feel the Beat – encourages children to move
      Cool Down – Rainbow Song – can use scarves to slow movements and return to quieter environment
      Goodbye

Belinda Adams

Participant

Spontaneous, child-centered, exploration, exciting, engaging

It’s ok for your child to do something different than the others — they are experimenting with independence. It’s ok that the instruments are going in their mouths — that’s how they are exploring! It’s ok if your child sits with you one moment and hides from you the next, they are watching you though! Stay involved with the music and the group and your child.

Hello: It’s time for music; Bonding song: Wiggly Jiggly Car; Song’s about me: These are my hands Instrument song: We are great musicians; Movement: Dancing is what I feel like; Goodbye Song: NA, NA, NA, NA Goodbye

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

Excitement, discovery, playful, exploration, timbre variety

“It is ok to let you child go and explore his surroundings, he’ll come back”

“Your facial expression are very good”

“Your child has a good grasp on the maraca”

“Don’t worry if they put an instrument in their mouth, they are exploring. Just put it in the “need to clean bin” at the end of the class”

“Help your child clap by scooping your arms under their shoulders”

Gather/Greeting: Hello song with repetition and child acknowledgment. Hey, hey come and play to invite child and parent to the group

Bonding: Horsey carry me- encourage parent to give pauses, use facial expressions, and change voice timbre to engage child

Songs about me: All of this is me

Instrument playing: Come with and play- encourages joint music making

Movement songs: pick up your hands. Scarf can be calming and good for calming down before ending the class.

Goodbye: Goodbye song with repetition and child acknowledgment. Also a thankyou song directed and each individual child as a transition out of the class

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content