Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Julia Park

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experience in Sprouting Melodies 2:
      Exploration, Energy, Playful, Surprise, Spontaneous

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses for children in SM 2:
      Your babies are entering into the independence stage meaning they can have experiences separate from another person.
      They can use their hands to strike drumhead of tambourine. They can also grasp and shake maraca or jingle bell. Be playful with your babies by including musical surprises like fermata, glissando, and even silence. They can also use whole body and can move rhythmically. We should all stand up (jump to the beat of the drum) and move our bodies together with the babies.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session:
      1. Gathering/Greeting: The group will sit in a circle as the therapist invites everyone to gather while strumming the guitar. When everyone has gathered and situated sing “Hello” song. Encourage the parents to sing along. Go around in circle and include names of each babies. Sing the song one more time.
      2. Bonding: Sing “Hold on tight” sing the song without the instrument so that the therapist can model for the parents.
      3. Songs about me: Sing “Can you see Me”. sing the song without the instrument so that the therapist can model for the parents.
      4. Instrument songs: Sing “Dancing in the middle”. I like this song because it can invite the children in the middle of the drum.
      5. Movement song: Sing “March with my baby”. After marching as the therapist plays the drum, encourage the parents to jump to the beat of the drum. Then try singing as you are jumping with parents and the babies.
      6. Goodbye: After telling the group that it is time to say good-bye, teach them a new skill by singing “Thank you very much” and shaking hands.

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Julia, I am glad you mentioned “dancing in the middle” I completely forgot about that song!!! Also, I love all of your sentences 🙂

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Playful, Observation (kiddos may just watch during the group, but at home they sing all the melodies), Surprise, Free Movement, and Energy!

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
      1. If child just observing the session and “not participating” reassure parents: “Don’t worry! He/she may only be watching the group but I garuntee your little one will be singing many of these songs on their own or with you when they get home!”
      2. If child is moving away from parent to explore instruments or try moving on their own reassure parents by: “I promise your child is not rejecting you, they are just developing some independence! Stay where you are and offer a place to come back to when they are ready!”
      3. If child needs to jump or tap their feet, help parents by: “Parents. we want to organize the child and make them feel secure while we do music. When we jump, lets make sure when bring them down we have their feet touch the ground. And when they stomp, lets guide their feet to intentionally feel the ground underneath their foot in rhythm,”
      4. “when at home allow for songs to have an element of surprise in them. You’ll be surprised that when you pause right before the song ends, your child will initiate vocalization in response to the music.”
      5. “Don’t worry about you’re child clapping their hands right away, they will get it over time”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.
      Plan for group: 1. make sure environment is safe so that child can move around but you can still keep an eye on them while you facilitate group. 2. Set up group in a circle with instruments in the middle. 2. Open: “Hello Everybody” (MP) this simple song will get parents singing a long easily and has lots of opportunities for small surprises but still be structured enough to not startle the child. 3. “Wiggly Jiggly Car” (EKS) this care both allows for independence for the child as well as gaining a support from the parent. Initiated vocalizations from silence may also occur and depending on development the child may be the parent’s lap, another parent’s lap, or the facilitator’s lap 4. “Just like me” this can be done in the lap or with child in proximity to parent/caregiver. Again, it allows both independence, identity, and bonds to develop and grow. 5. “Sit with me and shake” (MP) allows for instrument playing but also follow musical cues of “start” and “stop”, “fast” and “slow”, “loud” and “soft” etc. The child also begins to learn how to shake the maraca independently. 6. “March with my Baby” (MRP) this is only time to do this song (in SM2). Children can still have instruments and parents gets to hold child while they move with them 7. “Goodbye” and maybe “Thank you very much” this adds closure to the session and also an opportunity for kids to engage with each other.

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

Five Words: Energy Balance, Movement, Musical Surprises, Trust, Independence

Five Sentences: Your child is moving from the stage of trust to independence – it is important to keep them close, to be a home base, but to also give them room to explore. Throughout Sprouting Melodies 2, your child will move from having purposeful repetitive movements to music to isolating body parts and intentional movement to music. Your child will begin to explore playing a variety of instruments and their tempo (speed of play) will expand as well. Your child can match pitches about half of the time – they can’t sing entire songs but will begin to babble with melodic inflection. Your child will recognize familiar melodies and move towards beginning to match the intensity of their movements to the intensity of the music.

Plan:
      Instrument Exploration: Have a variety of instruments (jumbo chiquitas, small hand drums, small gathering drums, small rain sticks) for children to explore before class begins.

Hello Song: “Here We Are Together” Have each parent give their child a hug when their name is sung.

Gathering/ Body Percussion (lower energy) “Good Morning” (EKS) Have parents sway with their child on their lap the first time. The second time through have parents clap the beat with the children’s hands over top of their own (wrap your arms under the baby’s shoulders so there hands are behind yours). Last time through have the parents sway with the children on their laps again.

Lap Ride/Bonding Song (higher energy): “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” (EKS) Have parents get child seated on their lap. At the beginning of the song have their arms outstretched. Arms are gradually wrapped around the child “put your seat belt on”. Parents will sway side to side during the “Oh” section and bounce the child on their lap during the “wiggly jiggly” section.

Instrument Play (lower energy): “In My Little Hand” (EKS) Hand out chiquitas and maracas and have parents offer them to their children. Have babies shake their instruments along with the song. Reassure parents that if their child chooses not to play that is okay.

Gross Motor Movement (higher energy): “March with My Baby”(MRP). Instruct parents to hold their children or do actions with them. Have parents march, run, jump, etc. with their baby and stop when appropriate.

Cool down (lower energy): “Pick Your Hands Up High” (EKS) Give scarves to each parent and child. Have them throw the scarves up to the music.

Good-Bye: ”Good-Bye” (To the tune of “Goodnight Ladies”) Sing good-bye to each child individually and give them a turn to strum the guitar while the music therapist chords.

Daniel Henry

Participant

Energetic
      Playful
      Explorative
      Timbre variety
      Surprise

1. In SM2 we are going to be helping your child grow in their language and communication skills, their motor planning , as well as their social development.
      2. Often times at this stage in development these children are observers and really absorb what they are seeing and then give it back to us later at home or in the car. Don’t worry they will eventually display that activity here in the group. It’s a very typical and natural part of development.
      3. As you help your child jump make sure their feet are landing firmly on the ground so that they can remain certain about their position in space. we really want to help your children organize their body not disorganize it.
      4. It’s okay if you’re child does’t quite follow the directions given. It’s really about allowing your child to make their own musical choices and observing the adults so that they can mirror that activity.
      5. Your child is starting to play instruments on their own! they can really play the maraca and hit the drum and explore these instruments on their own now.

Hello Everybody
      Wiggly Jiggly Car (child can begin to choose other laps than their caregivers if the like)
      That all makes up me (child is beginning to perform movements on their own)
      Sit with me and shake (child can be in lap of care giver or exploring the room)
      I’m gonna march with me baby (child gets some bonding time with caregiver)
      Goodbye song (Thank you very much)

Alexis Ramagnano

Participant

1. Fun, energetic, exploration, discovery, personality

2. Allow yourself to synchronize with your child’s movements, not necessarily the rhythm of the music., This space is safe for your child to explore and move about freely., I clean all instruments after each group so it’s ok if your baby puts the instruments in his mouth., Your child may want to sit on someone else’s lap during this group and that is developmentally appropriate., That is so great that he/she wants to face outward and see everyone!

3. Greet everyone and begin with a GATHERING SONG. I love how inviting the song “Hey, Hey, Come And Play” is. Parents can allow their children to explore others in the room and/or bounce their child on their knees. Next for the BONDING SONGS, the “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” song is also one of my favorites. The movements, energy, and dynamic changes are perfect to keep the children engaged with their parent and provide a great framework for bonding. Next I would do two or three SONGS ABOUT ME including “Just Like Me” and a song that involves incorporating each child’s name and something about them. For example, lyrics may be “Sarah’s in a blue dress! How pretty!” And “John has two sandals! One and Two!”. Go around the room and create a verse for each child to feel unique. The INSTRUMENT SONG “Dancing In The Midddle” allows the parents and children to explore the space and move freely with their maracas. Incorporating predictable stops in the song provides the suprise the children enjoy. MOVEMENT SONGS “Pick Your Hands Up High” and guide the group to move scarves high, low, left, right, fast, slow, etc. Finally, I loved the ” Thank You Very Much” song and going to each child to shake hands and encouraging them to shake another child’s hand. I felt this was a great element especially since children this age tend to not acknowledge their peers. On their way out have group members assist with dropping used instruments in the “Recently Appreciated” bin for cleaning. This reassures parents that the instruments do get cleansed after each group.

Anonymous

Inactive

Great submissions everyone! Don’t forget to save your responses and anyone else’s you found helpful for the future.

Susan Gannon

Participant

Erika, how do you save the responses that we find helpful for the future?

Susan Gannon

Participant

5 words – trust, independence, playful, surprise, and exploration.

5 sentences: Sprouting Melodies 2 is where children learn and develop more independence. They are developing a sense of their own identity and can do and explore things with a sense that they are separate of each other. Allow your children to move about the room if that is what they want to do and be ready to accept them back and comfort them when they are ready to return. It is developmentally appropriate if they tentatively seek out another parent or the therapist. They are also developing greater musical sense and abilities such as listening, moving to music, briefly shaking a maraca, and even matching pitches part of the time.

Session Plan: 1) Set up a safe area with safe instruments to explore. Greet everyone with a smile and have soft music playing. 2) Gathering song – I like the “Hey, Everybody” song because it is so simple. 3) Bonding Songs – I am really going to try some of the suggested songs. Right now, I use a song from Kindermusik called “Jingle, Jingle, Jingle Go the Car Keys and use it more as a bonding song than it is intended. 4) Songs about Me – I actually have written a song called “Amazing Me” that I can use for this, but I like the suggested songs too. 5) Instrument Songs – I thought the “In My Little Hand” song will be very useful for this. 6) Movement songs – Can You Follow? and Pick Your Hands Up High are two choices I will probably alternate. 7) Goodbye. I often use very simple songs for goodbye.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies® 2…energy, playful, independence, exciting, explore, discover

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2…1-You parents are the secure base for your child, expect them to go out and explore and then come back to you and that’s ok, that’s what they need right now and where they are at developmentally. 2-Don’t worry if your child is not participating fully in class, they will often sponge it all up here then go home and practice. When they are comfortable doing it here, they will and we can give them that time and space to get there. 3-Remember, we are encouraging the babies to develop independence at this level. It is ok if baby is not by you at all times. It is ok to allow them to explore and come back to you. 4-45 minutes is a long time at this age – we don’t expect your child to be as an adult would be during the entire class, they will have times where they are more engaged than others and that’s ok. 5-When we are doing this movement, some children will want to be held while others will be independent on the floor and that’s ok. Each child will develop their comfort with that in their own time. Let’s give them an instrument to hold and see if that helps. Sometimes when they are so busy holding onto something, they don’t notice they are doing it on their own.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies® 2 session. Gathering/Greeting: Hello, Hello, It’s Time for Music is a high energy song that invites the children to come greet one another. We can model waving hello, sing each child’s name and encourage movement as well to get everyone feeling the rhythm. Bonding Song: Wiggly, Jiggly Car I have used in my classes and it is one of my favorite new ones. Everyone responds so well to this song and it does just what it was designed to do in creating a bond between caregiver and child. Songs About Me: Just Like Me brings the energy down a little as discussed with the ebb and flow of high energy/low energy and invites the children to really look at relationships between two people. Instrument Song: In My Little Hand is another great new song in my repertoire that encourages shaking and playing instruments but not in such a structured way. This encourages that exploration and tells caregivers it’s ok to explore as well. Movement Song: March With My Baby looks like a great one to try with my groups as they love to stop and go as well as practice different gross motor movements. Goodbye: Thank You Very Much – I really liked Elizabeth’s demonstration of shaking hands and then encouraging the babies to shake each others’ hands as well as the caregivers. What a wonderful way to connect them as well as encouraging them to be thankful for the experience. There are so many opportunities throughout the day where a reference to this is appropriate.

1. Spontaneous
      2. Trust
      3. Independence
      4. Playful
      5. Surprise

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
      This is an exciting stage of development for your child because this is the beginning of them gaining an increased sense of self. Children within this stage begin to gain more independence, and may walk away from you (the parent) to share in the music with another child or another adult in the group. Children within this stage still, however, continue to love bonding with you in the music, and continue to need a strong sense of security and trust from their caregiver. Children love to explore different instruments, occasionally playing them appropriately, however, they may still simply mouth and grasp instruments for short periods of time, which is developmentally appropriate. Through the musical experiences they participate in within this class, children can continue creating a strong sense of self, while also becoming more aware of others and wanting to share with others.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

1.Greeting Song: “Come with me, sit down in the circle”(EKS) – This song prompts for children and adults to begin gathering together in the circle. “Everybody’s Here & It’s time to say hello” – Hello song which welcomes group to begin greeting each other, and each child’s name is incorporated into song for their individual greeting.
      2. Bonding Song – “Wiggly Jiggly Car” – Caregivers can have children on their laps for this bonding song which allows for a sense of security, and anticipated surprise. Move into “Hold On Tight” to continue building the sense of trust, and excitement for children.
      3. Song About Me: “Can You See Me” – song to increase sense of self for children. Be aware of giving a good amount of response time, allowing children to observe and imitate what the adults are doing.
      4. Instrument Song: “Sit with Me & Shake” – pass out chiquita shakers for the group, and remind adults that even if the children aren’t shaking exactly the way they are, they are still taking in the information through observation
      5. Gross Motor Movement: “March With My Baby” Invite parents to stand up and march around the room with their child, as you provide a steady rhythm on a drum to allow for entrainment. “Pick Your Hands Up High” with scarves – pass out scarves and sing this song while modelling the movement for children.
      6. Goodbye – “Thank You Very Much” – Offer your hand to a child and wait for them to reach out to you during this thank you song. Slowly give an opportunity for children to thank each other with a hand shake, and to thank their caregivers. “Music Time is Over” – this song lets them know that our time together is over and prepares them for the transition out of music.

Charniqua Snell

Participant

5 Words: Playful, Flexibility, Authentic, Variety, and independence
      5 Sentences: Just because they are not moving, it does not mean that are not observing their surroundings. – We are promoting independence in this group. So let the child go to another adult, MT, or another child! – At this age, it is okay if they do not imitate exactly what the songs say. They are still exploring music and any participation is encouraged! – Children are still putting things in their mouth, so we have a “dirty” bin. We clean every instrument before giving them out again. – They are still learning to shake their maracas/shakers. It will take a while for them to shake them on their own.

SP2 Plan
      Have music playing in the background and have instruments out for exploration.
      Gathering: “Hey, hey come and play” – It is more energetic than the hello song I had for SP1. Bonding: “Wiggly Jiggly Car” Movement: I know “Dancing in the middle” was under instrument playing but this would be a great movement song as well. There are not specific instructions but encourages free movement and play. Instruments: “Sit With Me and Shake” Songs about Me: “Can you see Me?” – This song is so perfect for not only bringing awareness but imitation too. Cool Down: I have a scarf activity where the child will move their scarves as the MT and parent do. Goodbye: “Goodbye Everyone”- A song I use that allows for the MT and parent to say goodbye to the child by name. It also is very simple and repetitive so the parents can easily remember.

Kate Potrykus

Participant

Five words: Playful, energetic, authentic, spontaneous, and exploration.

Five sentences: 1) Don’t be afraid to let your child explore the space, but always be ready for them to come back to you, 2) We don’t expect your child to follow directions…it’s about making musical choices, 3) Find the beat and put it on your child’s feet, arm, or somewhere else on their body, 4) It is okay for your child to explore everything in the room, and 5) We encourage you to allow your child to face inward toward you, but also out towards the group as they begin to explore outside their secure base.

SM2 Plan: Begin with music as the children enter and begin to explore the space. During Hello, encourage parents to bounce their child on their lap. The therapist should engage with the children, and also include familiar but surprising elements in the music – exclaiming “hey!” during the song for example. Hold on Tight will come next. Parents should have child on their lap and should be encouraged to wrap their arms around their child to promote that bond and remind the child that the lap is their safe space. The therapist should begin to interact with the kiddos as well. Can You See Me? allows children to identify parts of their self. The therapist will encourage the identification of body parts and incorporating gestures. The therapist should allow for opportunities for response from the children, as well as initiation – so stopping and starting the music to illicit responses. For an instrument song, Sit With Me and Shake can also use the stop and starting of the music to illicit responses. Vary the tempo and the range of motion for playing the instruments. For movement, March With My Baby is good for both the younger kids and the ones transitioning to SM3. Movements can be varied, and some parents can stand up with their child if their child is able, or they can tap their child’s feet on the ground in a marching fashion. Again, it is about the exploration of the room, so the movement should allow that. Finally, Goodbye. I have a repetitive goodbye song that allows for some sort of response from the child but also incorporates varied tempos and timbres to keep it interesting. After “Goodbye,” “Thank You Very Much” could be sung since it is great for promoting the recognition of others. As children move into this independence stage, it is good for them to connect to other children and people.

Elizabeth Carras

Participant

Explore, Energy, Autonomy, Contrasts, Imitation

“Even if your child is not moving or playing with his peers, he is doing a great job of observing the other kids and learning how to interact with this music.”
      “Don’t worry if your child is not following the exact instructions given (e.g. stomping feet instead of tapping knees), it is important that she is engaging with the music in her own way and expressing her choices.
      “Your child is starting to make music on her own! As they develop that sense of self, they are learning what they themselves can do.”
      “It is great to see your child facing toward and interacting with you, and also starting to face toward and interact with other kids/parents in the group.”
      “There are lots of cool instruments to explore in this room, your child is okay to walk away and explore a new instrument and then come back to you.”

_Hello Song: Let’s sing hello hello, sing hello to everyone, it’s time for music now. Let’s wave hello hello, wave hello to [child 1] it’s time for music now. Let’s high-five hello hello to [child 2] and repeat with different motions for each child. Let them think of their own. _Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car, _Instruments: give each family a soundshape and a mallet, and encourage parents to hand over hand assist their child playing, or allow the child to hold either the drum or the mallet while the parent holds the other, and play together. Tap along to a steady beat in “Ants Go Marching” _Movement: “Colors in the Sky” Have children listen for high sounds (move with your scarves up high) and low sounds (move with your scarves close to the ground. Wave scarves to this slow song with an ABA pattern: a section with higher pitches about seeing colors floating by and seeing a rainbow in the sky, and then a section with descending melodic lines about rain falling down. _Cool down: “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” have children return to their parents’ laps and rock or sway to this familiar tune. _Goodbye: To the tune of Goodnight Ladies, sing goodbye to each child and offer them an opportunity to strum the guitar.

Christina Bass

Participant

Independence, energetic, spontaneous, active, and playful.

As your child is moving from the trust stage to independence it is great to have them come back to you, to be a home base, but also allow them to explore and build trust with others in the group. Your child is observing and taking in all the information, so don’t worry if they do not seem fully engaged by participating, they will most likely practice when they get home. Use the three second rule to allow time for your child to process information and initiate a response. The bottom of your child’s feet is a great place for them to take in information, so make sure to tap on the bottom of their feet instead of the heel. We clean the instruments after every group, so don’t worry if your child puts it in their mouth.

Gathering/Greeting: Have recorded music playing for when parents come in and get settled in the room. Once everyone is settle begin singing “Hey! Hey! Come and Play!” adding elements of predictable surprise with the “hey” to engage children into the session. Sing a hello song with some engaging predictable surprise and 1-2 words (hello, or hello everybody).
      Bonding: Lead group in singing “Hold on Tight” encouraging children to bond with parents as well as other adults in the room as the child is ready.
      Songs about me: Lead group in “Just Like Me”. Make sure to use the three second rule to wait for children to respond. Add some pitch matching.
      Instrument songs: Provide each child and parent with a maraca and sing a Sh-Sh-Sh Shake or Sit with Me and Shake, encouraging children to explore different planes and anticipating starting and stopping.
      Movement: Lead group in I Can Move Around encourage children to move all around the room and in different planes.
      Goodbye: Sing a goodbye song that will stay consistent throughout the sessions and different levels.

Johanna Horn

Participant

Five Words:
      Exploration, Energy, Spontaneity, Variety, Surprise!

Sentences: “This is the work of children, be playful!”, “Choose instruments that can easily be grasped by children”, “Allow your children to be free in the space and explore the instruments!”, “Your child is still exploring, so it is okay if the instrument goes in their mouth!” “Don’t worry if your child isn’t playing–as long as you keep playing and making music, your child is observing it”.
      Sprouting Melodies 2 Plan:
      1) Hello/Gathering: Again, before the actual “Hello Song” is sung, I have music playing or I will strum/hum with my ukulele or guitar.
      2) Wiggly Jiggly Car: In SM2, there will be more dynamics. The first time it is sung, it can be sung at a mezzo dynamic level. The second time, increase the volume and decrease it quickly–allowing for surprise.
      3) “Can You See Me”–allowing for a variety of dynamics and pitch matching.
      4) “Sit With me and Shake”- Have several instruments in the middle and allow the children to grab anything they can shake! Stop and change tempo and volume!
      5) “Dancing in the Middle”
      6) “March with My Baby”
      7) Cool Down/Scarves–Move slowly to the music, parents can rock and sway to the music.
      8) Goodbye

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content