Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2014 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Elyse Suhay

Participant

This time I was smart and took some notes during the video 🙂

5 words: authentically excited, spontaneous, exploration and discovery, playful, energetic

5 sentences:

1. It’s okay to let your kids go so they can explore.
      2. Babies at this age like to watch and absorb what’s happening while they’re here, and then they’re probably going to sing it at home.
      3. It’s okay for children to want to “visit” with other people, and it means they’re ready to move forward and trust that you will be there when they come back.
      4. We want to organize your child’s body through movement, so here are some things to keep in mind…(feet firmly on floor, etc.)
      5. If I say, “Shake up high” and your baby moves another direction, that’s great because they are responding to the music. It doesn’t have to be perfect, as long as they’re engaged.

Session Plan:

Instrument Exploration: I would have the room set up with instruments in a semi-circle so that babies can have access to explore them while everyone comes in and gets situated.

Hello: I would use a hello song that has simple lyrics, but I would use a slightly more upbeat accompaniment.

Bonding: Sing Wiggly Jiggly Car and emphasize the importance of waiting for the child to bring their hands back together to go on in the song

About Me: Sing All of Me and let parents know that I don’t expect their babies to know their body parts, but that they will be listening and learning it

Instrument Play: Play Sit With Me and Shake, and let parents know that it’s okay if their child doesn’t stop right away. They might just need a little more time to process that, and they will get better at it as time goes on.

Movement: Sing Pick Your Hands Up High, and focus on slow movements and moving in whatever way the child wants to with the music.

Goodbye: I will keep the goodbye song that same to keep continuity throughout the different groups.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

5 words: playful, free movement, energetic, exploration, discovery

5 sentences: I’m so glad you’re here! Your baby is in a great stage for exploration and they are likely to move about and then come back to you while they are here in music class. It is alright for your little one to visit me and others in the group and they will most likely return back to you to check in. Your little one will be taking in and absorbing songs and movements here in class and will very likely sing the songs and repeat the movement when you leave here and you’re in your home environment. We will sing a lot of songs that I call “About Me” songs that are very appropriate for the age of your child. In this class, we suggest that you plant your little ones feet firmly on the ground when we are jumping and moving.

Session Plan:

Hello: The words and melody of the song will be simple but the tempo can increase and there is more room for interaction with the hello.
      Bonding: This song will include the element of surprise and interaction
      All About Me: This song will help babies listen and explore their body awareness as well as give an opportunity to experience moving away from their loved one and moving back for check-in
      Instruments: Awareness when picking instruments that babies are mouthing and that instruments will go in the mouth. (I like the idea of a “wash me” bin!). Songs for instrument foster development and independence with the instruments over time. Instrument activities can give the opportunities for kids to play with each other.
      Movement: Song that include marching, running and jumping songs, floor to up and moving around the room and more use of timbre to accompany the movement
      Goodbye: A goodbye song that can be repeated through the groups and each session.

Jennifer DeBedout

Participant

(I forgot to add that the goodbye song should include the opportunity to say thank you! Great reminder)

Caroline Gillott

Participant

5 words: authenticity, spontaneous, exploration, observation, energy

Sentences: Sprouting melodies 2 will help promote health development and wellness in your child. During our time together you and your child will start to explore a variety of sensory experiences. Your child is welcome and encouraged to move around the room freely but may not yet approach other peers. Your child will discover elements of anticipation and surprise through playful experiences. You may notice that your child is more of an observer during the session but an active participant at home. This is completely normal for this stage of development. Next time you come in share with us what your child did at home. We love to hear that the skills are transferring to other aspects of their lives.

Plan:
      Instrument Exploration: Families will check in and register with me. Music may be playing in the background. Instruments will be arranged in the group area for them to explore.
      Hello: I would use a song with a strong march like beat at a moderate upbeat tempo. Words should be simple and repeititve

Bonding: Sing Wiggly Jiggly Car– this song will first provide a safe bonding experience for child and parent. But, the song will also allow the child to move toward gaining more trust and independence through waiting and movement

About Me: Can you see me?– I love this song and have used it in many sessions. My favorite part is the anticipation just before the chorus

Instrument Play: Dancing in the Middle– this song gives the child the opportunity to play with other children and then return back to “safety” with their parents. The changes in tempo provide excitement and foster anticipation. It’s okay if child doesn’t stop right away. That is not the goal of the song. This song is all about joining together and playing in the center with others.

Movement: Pick Your Hands Up High– I really liked this song because of the use of scarves. This song gives the child a sense of where things are in space.

Goodbye: This song should be in a similar format as the hello song but should be slower in tempo or should start fast and wind down to a slower tempo. The lyrics should b simple and repetitive.

Katie Maurer

Participant

5 words: exploration, energetic, varied timbre, active, structured spontaneity

5 sentences: -As your child develops he’ll start to make choices about his participation in our musical activities. It’s okay if he wants to move in a different way than I’m moving, wants to play an instrument differently, wants to explore the rest of the room for a bit, or even wants to just sit and watch the rest of the group. -Your child will likely move to the music or play an instrument to her own rhythm. That’s great! -While your child may not sing all the words to the song, he loves repeated sounds like ‘la la la’ or ‘do do do.’ -Your child thinks musical surprises are great. It can be a funny sound, a moment of silence, or a quick change from loud to soft. Be comfortable adding these surprises to your music at home. -Even if your child seems quiet or doesn’t participate much here, keep singing at home. Your child might start singing at home before they sing here!

Plan: -Instrument Exploration, have instruments in the circle for children to explore during arrival times. Have recorded music playing sometimes. -Hello/Gathering, I really liked Meredith’s two-word hello song. It could also be changed to sing hello to each child. -Bonding/Lap Song, everyone seems to love “Wiggly, Jiggly Car”. I can just imagine a group of little ones and their caregivers giggling along! -Songs About Me, I really like “All of This is Me.” -Instrument Song, “Dancing in the Middle” seemed like such a fun one (and I want a good excuse to ‘need’ a large gathering drum!). -Movement Song, “March With My Baby,” this one seems like it’s very versatile and adaptable to both those that are not yet walking and those that want to move themselves. -Goodbye, Meredith spoke last week about how all the SM classes there use the same goodbye song and I really like that idea. I also really liked the idea of using “Thank You Very Much” and encouraging the children to work up to shaking hands with others.

I’m really looking forward to getting “You and Me Makes We” that I ordered last week. I’ve been out of early childhood so long that I don’t have a very good variety of songs at the tip of my tongue to choose from.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Great idea to take notes during the videos, Elyse. Just another reminder to everyone that it will be helpful in the future to have a copy of your answers to these forum questions.

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2…. energetic, playful, exploration, surprise, free

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
        The space has been designed to be safe so that the kids can explore. It’s important that they feel secure in going to explore, but know there’s safety back with you too. Move with your child. Try to synchronize your body motions with the music but also with your baby. Sometimes we forget what it’s like to be playful. This is a wonderful space to rediscover your playful self with your child. It’s ok if your child isn’t sitting down. They’re still being part of the group in their own way, exploring their own way.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.
        Hello/Gathering: The Hello Everybody song that Meredith does in the video! I love the surprise and whoaaas for this stage between trust and independence. A more upbeat tempo, and more rhythmic strumming pattern should be used.
        Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car to help them understand the balance of going out into the world but having a safe base to return to. It creates wonderful anticipation with the surprises, and again is higher energy than SM 1 to match the child’s energy.
        Songs about me: I think I would do Just Like Me here again. I love the simplicity of the song as the carrier of information, and it would be a carry over, familiar tune from SM1. Then farther into the classes introduce Can you See me? I liked the pitch matching there which they should be good at now.
        Instrument Songs: Lot of instruments for them to explore and play, include stops, changes in tempo, shake high, low, fast, slow. I do a variation on Shake My Sillies Out with a middle part “Can you shake up hiiiigh? Can you shake down low? Loud, soft, as well and I try to “trick” them to make sure they’re listening.
        Movement Songs: From watching my son in music class I see that kids LOVE to march and follow behind the leader. March with my Baby is a good choice or another song with a steady marching beat.
        Goodbye: I like the idea of having the same goodbye song throughout all SM classes for a familiar tune for both the kids and parents.

Dany Orozco

Participant

5 words: Surprise, fun, bonding, engaging, exploring

5 sentences: It’s okay if your child picks up 3 maracas, it doesn’t matter how many instruments they have, it’s how they’re choosing to participate. It’s fine if they don’t play the shakers up and down and are only shaking them, they are learning by watching you do it. Every instrument has been sanitized and they will be cleaned again after they’re used. Your child is learning to anticipate and loves surprises that he knows are coming, try to play this way with him at home too. As your child gets used to coming to the sessions, he’s probably gonna get up and walk around, then come back. It’s okay if he ends up sitting on someone else’s lap for a while.

Session plan: Hello song – Have instruments out while everyone arrives so they can get familiar with them. During the hello song say everyone’s name. Bonding song – “Los elefantes”. With this song we can swing the babies side to side as the elephants are swinging in the song. Songs about me – “Pimpon” we can go through the body’s parts like Pimpon and then use a spanish version of “Just like me” going through the movements in the same way. Instrument song – “Las calaveras” we can dance when the skeletons come out to dance and play different instruments while dancing. Movement – “El barco chiquito” with scarves we can do the movement of the little boat as it travels. Goodbye – “Hasta mañana” fingerpicking on the guitar. Since we are coming from a song with scarves it could be a nice transition to go to the goodbye song.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

5 words: adventure and exploration, energetic, playful, surprise, moving

5 sentences:
      -This group is structured to allow your children to explore.. the music, the environment, and even other adults, so please allow them move about and discover their place in the music and the group.
      -It is OKAY for your child to participate in the music however they are comfortable.
      -Listening and watching is just as important as singing
      -They will often process the music silently during the group, and practice what they learned at home/in the car/etc.
      -Even though your child may be in a different participation space (across the room, watching etc.) Please remember that they are looking to you for how to participate in a group. Watching you have fun will help them to have fun 🙂
      -Instruments are cleaned after every session.

Plan: (THIS is an age group that I do not have much experience with- so my plan is less origninal than my last)
      Gathering/greeting: I love the HEY/HEY come and play song. It is a good introduction to my hello song where I can sing to every kiddo.

Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car-

Songs about me: Can you see see me?- I am adding this in here because I would really like to learn this one and explore. I love the call & response, replication of vowels.

Instrument Songs: Shake it up baby- Challenge range of motion W/element of surprise and offer musical choices- High/low. Allow children to observe and make choices. Sing about what child is doing (watching, shaking, during music.
      Dancing in the middle- love the idea of placing all my drums in the middle and encouraging people to drum together.

Movement Songs: Scarf song- Wind is blowing. Encourage movements from side to side/up and down/circles etc. March with my baby- (I practiced the jumping & drumming so I may as well add this). This is a great for gross motor practicing. With older SM2 kiddos- I would like to add finger plays, such as ‘where is thumbkin’ or ‘5 brown buns’.

Goodbye- I will also use my goodbye song. Thank you very much- I like the hand offering, and shaking hands and the potential for transition out the room.

Kate St. John

Participant

5 words: authentic energy, playful, exploration, free movement, timbre variety.

5 sentences: Welcome to Sprouting Melodies 2! In this class your child will develop communication, motor and social skills through active music making and music listening. Your child may appear to be watching in class which is great because we know from research that they are learning through observation and they will begin to participate more in class over the next few weeks once they have processed the information and practiced it at home. It’s ok for your child to explore and visit other people and instruments and they like to come back to you as a safe place. And it’s ok if your child moves or plays an instrument a different way than the directions of the song, because they are making musical choices and learning about themselves.

Session Plan
      Instrument exploration with instruments around the room while checking everyone in.
      Greeting: “Hello Everybody” or “Hey Hey Come and Play” and greet each person.
      Bonding: “Wiggly Jiggly Car” to encourage bringing arms together, looking for responses to surprises and balance, and foster trust and independence.
      Songs About Me: “Can You See Me” or “Just Like Me”. For hands, position my/parent’s arms underneath the child’s armpits and against trunk so that the child can feel the sensation of clapping when the adult claps or brings hands together. For feet, position feet flat on the floor and provide grounding with flat feet during assisted jumping because the feet receive a lot of sensory input (do not bounce on heels as this is not organizing).
      Instrument Song: “Sit With Me and Shake” – It’s ok if children are not following the directions of the song because they are making musical choices and learning about themselves.
      Movement Song: “March with my Baby” which can be done with the parent holding the child or for older children, they can move around themselves.
      Good-bye: “Good-bye” followed by “Thank You Very Much” which is a good transition out of the room at the end of class and a great way to encourage respect and thanks.

Nancy Bair

Participant

In the words of my twins that are SM2 age group right now, “WOW!” “OOHHH” “MORE”

I would say energetic, rhythmic, exploration, discovery, and careful listening

Discover the joy and energy of music through sprouting melodies 2! In this class, we will move, move move and explore together! It’s OK if your child wants to move on the other side of the room too and get to know their peers or the other grown-ups in the room. We are going to practice “careful listening” where will be listen for surprises in the music that tell us what is coming next. It could be that the music will stop for a moment, or the music is getting faster or slower, or we are going to change our movements. We are all going to be pros at listening and being able to use music as a cue with our kids here and at home. After each group, all the instruments are cleaned and sanitized.

Create a Plan
      1-Gathering: Welcome/Hello song- pick 1-2 songs to sing consistently. I love the “Hey Hey, come and play” song!!! Add a hand wave or some simple motion that the kids can participate in.
      2-Bonding Songs: Create an environment with the song selections to provide the children and their parents the opportunity to “let go” and “reconnect”

3-Songs About Me–A fun song to explore similarities between each of the children and their parents.

4-Instrument Songs—Provide rhythmic music to give a strong beat pattern and model how to play instruments or use clapping, foot stomping, etc. Watch for over stimulation, bring tempo down if too much or too crazy. I love the sit with me and shake song with the “stop!” to provide them the opportunity to listen to the musical cues and keep them “on-task” and not over-whelmed

5-Movement Songs-Fun songs where kids can roam around the room. I love the marching song presentated in the video with the drum. Songs where caregivers and children can move together

6-Goodbye-Consistent 1-2 songs. 1st song would be a transition song from higher energy movement songs and 2nd would be a slower paced song where we would wave good bye to each person there, and maybe wave goodbye to the instruments, and the guitar, and whatever else we can think of….

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content