Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2014 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Lauren Roberts

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2:
      1. Energetic – energy should be high, but within a calmer overall structure.
      2. Authentic/Genuine – being authentic and genuine keeps the higher energy from being frightening.
      3. Active – these children are doing more moving and exploring, so the music should reflect that and provide more opportunities to do just that
      4. Passive – in the sense that a child may not always be actively engaged in singing, moving, playing, but instead observing and absorbing everything happening around them.
      5. Fun – although children are learning, they won’t/don’t realize this because everything has a sense of play to it

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2:
      1. Your baby’s feet are one way he can take in and process information, so it is important for the bottom of his feet to hit the floor when stomping.
      2. Your baby may wander and explore, but she will always come back because you are a safe place.
      3. Your baby will continue to enjoy the “surprise” at the end of the song, even though she already knows it is coming.
      4. Your baby may enjoy the extra stimulation he could get from facing out, toward his peers and their parents.
      5. Your baby is certainly welcome to explore any of the instruments available, including my guitar.

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session:
      Instrument Exploration Time
      Hello/Gathering – “Hello Everybody” and “Sit Down with Me”
      Lap Ride/Tickles – “Wiggly Jiggly Car” and “Hold on Tight”
      Instrument Play – “Sit with Me and Shake”
      Movement – “March With My Baby”
      Cool Down – “Pick Your Hands Up High”
      Goodbye – “Bye, Bye, Music Time is Done”
      “Thank You Very Much” – I loved this! I could see it being a helpful way to watch for some of those red flags too, particularly where social skills are concerned (if they were to shy away from shaking hands or learning the cues for when to do so).

Barb Blackburn

Participant

Five words to describe Sprouting Melodies 2: Playful, authentic, energized, exploratory, surprising.

Five sentences to use when speaking with parents: 1. It’s okay that your child moves around the room, they will come back to the group and to you, you are their safe place. 2. It’s okay, and encouraged, that your child explores all the instruments that are out and available to him/her. 3. It’s okay that the child wants to participate with other kids/moms, me, or themselves, this is the age where they are learning their independence. 4. The bottom of your child’s feet is a great way for them to take in information, and can help them process quite a bit. 5. Don’t worry too much about your child “mouthing” an instrument this is still pretty common at this age, we always wash everything after every session!

Plan:
      Instrument Exploration prior to session starting
      Hello/Gathering Song: “Hello Everybody” I love that “whoa-oh-oh” part of the song. Those kinds of things are always the kid’s favorite parts of the songs.
      Lap Rides/Bonding Song: “Wiggly Jiggly Car” and “Row Your Boat Faster” I think that kids this age would really love the tickles that come along with these songs.
      Singing: Songs about me – “Can you see, see, see”
      Instrument play: “Sit with me and Shake”, gathering drum songs so that children have the opportunity to play with other children.
      Movement: “March with my Baby” – I like the different movements. I also like the lots of stand up, sit down, move all around the room, get that energy out! (I totally agree with practicing some of the movements prior to the group, there are definitely things that are harder than they look! I learned this the hard way learning a motor intervention with a client when I first started working at the facility that I’m with now)
      Cool Down: scarves, relaxing song, “Thank you very much”
      Goodbye: “Bye, Bye, Music Time is Done”

Kristen Crouch

Participant

Playful, Anticipated Surprise, Freedom, Exploratory, Responsive, Authenticity

1. Your child is learning to be more independent. There will be times when he will stay near to you (safe) and times when he will want to venture out. He will come back. He may even venture over to other parents as he learns that this is a safe environment.
      2. Its ok if they aren’t singing along in the group. They are learning and observing and will probably respond by singing on his own at home.
      3. As we are doing our instrument and movement songs, your child may or may not be doing exactly as we are doing, and thats ok. We will model for him and he will watch and try at his own pace.
      4. Your child is starting to understand that he is a separate person from you. This is developmentally appropriate. We are helping him to learn his identity. Its ok to let him start to be more independent.
      5. Your child is not quite ready to clap on his own but you can help him to learn the general movements by supporting him and having him put his hands on your hands/arms as you clap.

Session Plan SM 2:
      Exploration of Instruments
      Hello/Gathering Song: A simple two word hello song like Hello Everybody
      Body Percussion/Gathering: A song that gets everybody moving (clapping, stomping, swaying) and the theme of music time/gathering together
      Lap Ride/Bonding: Baby on lap with parent bouncing and moving (horse or car or boat), adding fermatas, changes in timbre, dynamics, tempo
      Song About Me: Song that really helps child identify “me” like All of this is me or that all makes up me
      Instrument Play: Gathering drum or instruments in the center with Dancing in the Middle or other song that offers steady beat and encourages instrument play
      Gross Motor: Marching song that gets everyone marching, stomping, jumping, etc; instruments still in hand is ok
      Cool Down: Slower song with scarves that can be done standing or sitting; some modeled movement, some free movement
      Goodbye: Music time is over or goodbye song; adding shaking hands or waving goodbye with smiles

Lauren Caso

Participant

Five words to describe Sprouting Melodies 2:
      Discovery, engaging, absorbing, active, awareness

Five sentences: 1.) (Emphasize to the adults to) Try to synchronize their rhythm and movements with the child. Most likely, the movements or rhythm will be faster! 2.) Freedom of exploration with movement outside the group or towards others is okay, and in fact is encouraged! 3.) Isn’t that great that your child is singing the songs at home or in the car? They may practice for some time until they are comfortable bringing it into the room. This may take longer for some children, and is a natural function of how the brain processes the information being presented, and a response to that information. It is typical and natural for children to appear still on the outside, while a neurological response may be happening on the inside. 4.) You are providing a safe and secure base for your child. This will help the child move from trust to independence. Children need to be able to get up and explore, and come back to you. It’s okay, and a natural part of their development. 5.) “Songs about me” may help a child form their sense of self. This also gives the caregiver an opportunity to see their child as separate from themselves. The cild is not necessarily rejecting you, but rather developing their own sense of identity. This can encourage independence, and allows the child to move forward in their developmental stage.

Session sample set list:
      Gathering drums and shakers upon entering
      Hello everybody
      Hey, hey come and play
      Can you see, see, see?
      Wiggley jiggly car
      March with my baby
      The Wind Song with scarves as a cool down
      Goodbye song
      Thank you song with shaking hands

Bernadette Skodack

Participant

The 5 words I would use: playful, aware, exploratory, safe, and engaging.

1. You and your child will be able to play in music- playing instruments, movement play, and even playing with the other children in the group. 2. It’s ok if your child begins to look and sit away from you- they are becoming more aware of the world around them and want to see it all. 3. With that newfound awareness, your child will want to explore these new items and experiences. 4. The Sprouting Melodies room is set up to be a safe environment for your child to explore their new world. 5. By exploring, your baby will engage with new items and with new friends as well.

A sample session would be Hey, Hey, Come and Play (greeting…so catchy!); Hold on Tight (bonding); Head, shoulders, knees, and toes (songs about me); Shake and Stop (instruments…a musical game that has anticipation); Let’s Go Fly a Kite (movement…use little kites on paint sticks for children to move around), and Goodbye, Goodbye, it’s Time to Go (goodbye…the common song amongst all groups).

Ann Dardis

Participant

Energy – incorporate a lot of elements of “surprise” in the music
      Exploration – encourage children to be able to reach out & move away from mom
      Security – allow children to return to the safety of Mom as needed
      Playful – model playfulness
      Bonding – encourage bonding with other adults and other children in addition to family bonding

Amy Dunlap

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.
      Exploratory, Energetic, Playful, Moving Out and Back In, and Musical Variation

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.
      1. “If your child is doing nothing on the outside, then they are probably doing everything on the inside. This is a great time for your child to take it all in.”
      2. “Silence in a song is a great way to grasp your baby’s attention and build anticipation for the familiar.”
      3. “The fact that your baby is crawling away is a good sign that he/she is developing and moving toward ‘trust.’ Don’t worry, he/she will come back to you in no time.”
      4. “Your chid is getting so much enjoyment out of bouncing the soles of his/her feet on the ground because it is helping him//her to organize the sound that is all around him/her.”
      5. “SM2 is where we learn to play maracas!”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.
      1. Gathering: “Sit Down With Me” – I love this take on “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” and find it very attention-grabbing
      2. Greeting: “Hey! Hey! Come and Play!” – I think this would be a nice, energetic complement to the gathering song, plus it’s a lot of fun to sing and sets a great tone for the session
      3. Bonding: “Wiggly Jiggly” – nice blend of security and risk
      4. Songs About Me: “All of This is Me” – after two high energy songs, a slower, more introspective song might be a nice placement here
      5. Instrument Songs: “Dancing in the Middle” – I think this would go well after the last song because it is taking the focus out of the contemplative “me” and bringing the awareness to the whole group as they play the gathering drum together
      6. Movement Songs: “March With My Baby” – This will get the babies up off of the floor as they will have been here for most of the session at this point; this will also give the babies and parents a chance to bond a little after playing as a group
      7. Goodbye: “Music Time is Over”

Caitlin Kauffman

Participant

5 words to describe SM2:
      Playful, exploratory, high energy, exciting, observing.

5 sentences you can use when talking with parents about musical responses of children in SM2:
      1. It is normal for children of this age to test out new people and they might want to sit with me or even with another parent at times! 2. Your baby might like the opportunity to “explore” and observe their surroundings by facing toward the other parents and children. 3. Do not worry if your child is crawling or walking around to explore the room – this space is set up safely for them to explore! 4. Even if your child is not actively engaging, mirror neurons are still helping them learn about what they are watching and observing. 5. Using silence is an effective tool to create an “anticipated surprise” that will grab attention and that your child will learn to expect.

Create a sample session plan for SM2:
      Gathering/Greeting: “Sit Down With Me” – I love that this is a familiar song melody that is a great attention grabber.
      Bonding Songs: “Wiggly/Jiggly Car” OR “Hold On Tight” – this is a nice variation of tempo, exaggerated side-to-side movement, hugging and letting go, as well as introducing that anticipated “stop” at the end.
      Songs about me: “All of This is Me” – A bit of a change of pace and a way to focus on several body parts
      Instrument Songs: “I Like This Song” – brings the group back together and has very few words so the children and parents can be very successful in joining in both with playing instruments and singing along
      Movement Songs: “I can move around” – with this one, I would have them get up off the floor, and have them jump, spin, stomp, etc, as well as playing with the tempo some to work on fast/slow movements and following directions
      Goodbye: “Music Time is over” – plus some hand shaking!

Brandy Jenkins

Participant

**Late Entry as I am Catching Up on Posting**

5 words:
      active, authentic, stimulating, exploratory, playful
      5 sentences:
      “You may find that your baby will begin to explore and then come back to you.”
      “Allow room for your child to explore if he/she wishes as this is a normal developmental step.”
      “It is ok if your child plays with different instruments. They are just exploring the things in their environment.”
      “It is ok if your child isn’t outwardly participating. Your child is learning and taking everything in.”
      “You may notice your child beginning to imitate peers with more accuracy.”
      Session Plan:
      Greeting: “Hello Everybody”
      Bonding/focus: “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” for lap
      Song About Me: A body part song where the children are called to move/touch certain body parts
      Instrumental: 2 to 3 minute song where the children are invited to play instruments. This music will be continuous and with an upbeat tempo.
      Movement: A movement game with stop and start
      Cool down/Relaxation: a bit more active then I would do in SM1, but still something in the lap or interacting with caregiver. Perhaps a medium tempo lullaby or song with a 6/8 rocking rhythm.
      Goodbye: “Goodbye, So Long” is a more up-tempo and active good bye song

Sarah Gagnon

Participant

Explore Trust Wait Organize Play
      Today we’re going to EXPLORE all the different ways you and baby can find each other and the music. Learning TRUST in music with you can helps children to learn and explore their environment. Don’t forget to both show and WAIT for your kids to observe and respond to the music you are making!! When we do songs like “Head Shoulders…” remember to touch and help kids find their head and shoulders as it will help to organize their body awareness. Have fun PLAYING with each other in music…

Greeting
      Transition 1: Lap/Bonding
      Transition 2: Get up and dance or March
      Transition 3: Layer on an instrument: Find instrument trade with child; Marching Song; jumping
      Transition 4: Cool down- scarf play with music
      Transition 5: Goodbye gathered together

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content