Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – July 2014 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Kerry Cornelius

Participant

5 words to describe SM2:
      1. Authenticity
      2. Surprise
      3. Safety
      4. Exploration
      5. Energy

5 sentences to use when speaking with parents in SM2:
      1. Don’t worry–it’s totally normal for your baby to mouth the instruments! Just place your instrument in the “Wash me” bin when class is over.
      2. It’s okay if your child is facing you–this is a lovely opportunity for bonding with your baby!
      3. It’s okay to let your baby go–our room is a safe place for your baby to crawl and explore.
      4. To help your child clap during movement songs, put your arms under baby’s shoulders when they’re sitting in your lap.
      5. When helping your child stomp their feet, try grabbing their feet at the top near the ankles; this will help make sure the bottoms of their feet are touching the floor so they can best feel the pulse of the music!

Potential SM2 Plan:
      Hello: Hello Everybody
      Hey, Hey, Come and Play
      Bonding Songs: Wiggly, Jiggly Car
      Hold on Tight
      Songs About Me: Can You See Me?
      Just Like Me
      Instrument Songs: Sit With Me and Shake
      In My Little Hand
      Dancing in the Middle
      Movement Songs: March With My Baby
      Pick Your Hands Up High (with scarves)
      Goodbye: Thank You Very Much
      Music Time is Over

Katie Bagley

Participant

5 Words for Sprouting Melodies 2: 1) Explore 2) Surprise 3) Authentic 4) Anticipation 5) Engage

Parent Sentences:
      1) If your child wants to go exploring the room and behind the corner, it is okay! This is a safe place, and it is great that your baby feels comfortable enough to leave for a bit!
      2) While your baby is sitting on your lap facing the group, place your arms under and within theirs. This allows them to hold your outer arm, which helps with learning the clap motion.
      3) To help your baby with jumping, make sure their feet are planting on the ground each time they bounce. This helps them feel a stronger, more organized sense of standing.
      4) When we are shaking up high/low, it is okay if your child isn’t fully getting there- it is more about having choices and varied movements.
      5) All of our instruments are cleaned between every group, but if your child has been mouthing the instruments, you can place them in the “Wash Me” bin so they are not exchanged within this group.

Potential Session Plan:
      GATHERING/GREETING: Hello, Hey! Hey! Come and Play. BONDING: Hold On Tight. SONGS ABOUT ME: All Of This Is Me, Just Like Me. INSTRUMENT: Sit With Me And Shake, I Like This Song. MOVEMENT: I Can Move Around, March With My Baby (Keeping instruments) GOODBYE: Bye Bye Music Time Is Done, Thank You Very Much (While exiting)

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

5 Words: Exploration. Spontaneous. Balance. Absorption. Discovery.

5 Sentences: 1. It does not matter if your child is imitating exactly what I’m doing; it’s important that they are making their own musical choices. 2. It is okay for your child to move and walk around, they need to be able to explore in safe environments. 3. It is typical for children of this age to mainly observe the session leader at first and repeat songs at home. 4. Children of this age are unsure of their position in space. 5. During jumping, help the child to land firmly on the bottom of their feet to ground them.

Session plan: Greeting- Hey, Come and Play, Hello- Hello Everybody, Songs about me- Can you see me, Instrument- Come with me and play a little (gathering drum), Sit with me and shake (maracas), Movement- March with my baby, Goodbye- Music is finished, Thank you.

5 Words: Freedom. Assertion. Discover. Improvisation. Maracas.

5 Sentences:
      1 That kind of monotone seemingly disorganized chanting she’s doing is her first attempt at creating her own song!
      2 I love the way she’s beginning to add inflection to her babbling that she’s attempting to imitate word sounds!
      3 She’s beginning to match her movements to the tempo of the music when she’s marching.
      4 She may be sitting and watching and not actively participating, but she’s processing all of this sound, color, and movement and will spring into action when she’s ready.
      5 You see how she’s looking around the room trying to locate the source of the drumming?

Sprouting Melodies® 2 Plan.
      GREETING: Hello Everybody! Hello! Hello! Hello! – while going around the circle and addressing each child by name; slowing down and having fun with the tempo through the end. Hey! Hey! Come and Play! – to invite everyone into the activity and to give the activity an official start. (PS – my husband thinks this song sounds like something you’d sing en masse in an Irish pub with a cold beer in your hand!).
      MOVEMENT: Can You Follow Me? Have children and caregivers form a “conga line” while MT cues movements. The Birds and The Bees – move toddler’s legs so that movement is organized; vary the tempo.
      INSTRUMENT PLAY: Yes! We Have No Bananas – provide a basket of several fruit and vegetable shakers and have child look for the bananas and other items named in the song, and shake-shake-shake! Segue into Sit With Me and Shake – changing tempo and adding stops and rests (as in the video).
      BONDING: Wiggly Jiggly Car – hold child in lap as if she were sitting in a car seat and wrap arms around her during first eight bars; then move child side to side, back and forth during last 16 bars. The Letter – hold child’s arms out to the side during the “airplane” verse, then hold her tight.
      SONGS ABOUT ME: Can You See Me? – using scarves to alternately cover and reveal different parts of the child. My Girl – instead of saying “my girl,” substitute the child’s name, e.g., “my Ronnie.”
      GOODBYE: Happy Trails – put child on your knee, horsey style and rock. Thank You Very Much – have child make the rounds to the other child to wave goodbye.

Katie Romano

Participant

5 Words: 1. Exploration 2. Spontaneous 3. Playful 4. Authentic 5. Energetic

5 Sentences: 1. Its ok if your child is roaming around, let them explore! 2. If you are gonna bounce your babies, go for it! BUT remember to have them be grounded and have their feet touch the floor. 3. Don’t worry if they put instruments in their mouths, they ARE washed after EVERY session. 4. Play with inflection, your child is and it is a way of communication. 5. Let then explore with musical choices, it helps with development 6. Dont worry if your childs attention span is not always 100 percent- 45 minute session is all long time.

Session Play: Greeting- Hey! Hey! Come and Play! (EKS); Bonding- Wiggly, Jiggle Car (EKS); Songs About Me- Can you see me?; Instruments- Sit with me and Shake (MRP) and the Come and Play with me song…the one that is adapted from “Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat”; Movement- Watch with my Baby (MRP) and Pick Your Hands up High (EKS); Goodbye- Thank you very much (EKS) and Music Time is Over (EKS)

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

5 words: safety, freedom, activity, real, discovery.

5 sentences:
      1. The pauses that we use in our songs create the opportunity for your child to give a response; watch and listen for a vocal and/or physical response during these pauses.
      2. We help kids move their feet with a full foot on the ground so that they can get full input and be as organized as possible.
      3. Make sure that both of your child’s feet are landing firmly on the ground when you are helping him jump.
      4. Songs About Me give children the ability to develop a sense of self and be separate from his caregiver. They also provide a safe place for the child to come back to the caregiver to continue to develop that bond.
      5. We use scarves to encourage the children to really use their bodies to explore and expand their movements.

Plan:
      1. Instrument exploration with recorded music.
      2. Hey, Hey (composed by my internship supervisor)
      3. Hey! Hey! Come and Play! (EKS)
      4. Wiggle, Jiggly Car (EKS)
      5. The Noble Duke of York (traditional): lap game with “up” and “down”
      6. Dancing in the Middle (EKS)
      7. Shake and Stop (Lynn Kleiner)
      8. Gonna Do a Little….(movement song adapted from Ken Medema’s “Gonna Do a Little Singing)
      9. March With My Baby (MRP)
      10. Can You See Me? (EKS)
      11. Five Little Ducks (traditional) with book
      12. Thank You Very Much (EKS)
      13. Goodbye to Everyone

Shonda Malik

Participant

5 words; explorers, observers, movers, surprises, fun

5 sentences; 1. If you notice your child sings the songs at home but never in class that is normal and completely okay. 2. Your child will enjoy facing you at times and facing towards the group at times. 3. It is okay for your child to explore the room, even if it seems they are not engaged in the song, this is normal and they will rejoin the music making when they are ready. 4. Help your child organize and feel safe in their jumping by firmly planting their feet on the floor with each landing. 5. When you child finishes with an instrument and it has been in their mouth please place it in the bin marked “wash me.”

Session plan sprouting melodies 2; 1. Instrument exploration- recorded music during arrival. 2. Gathering song-Hey! Hey! come and Play! (EKS) 3. Hello song- NR 4. bonding-wiggly jiggly car (EKS) 5. Instrument play-dancing in the middle (EKS) 6. Gross motor movement-pick your hands up high (EKS) with scarves 7. Cool Down- can you see me? (EKS) 8. Goodbye (MRP) 9.Farewell-Thank you very much (EKS)

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

5 words to describe SM2: Exploration, Playful, Structure, Authenticity, Observation

5 sentences to use with parents: 1. “It’s okay for them to be moving around, you don’t need to make them stop.” 2. “It’s great that they are singing and using the song at home! When they’re comfortable with their learning process, they’ll use it here.” 3. “It’s natural for children to put the instruments in their mouths. When they do, put the instruments off to the designated bin and we’ss clean all the instruments after each class to prevent the spread of germs.” 4. “Your child may not be participating in playing the instrument, but see how actively engaged they are in listening? They are observing and learning and it will come out later.” 5. “See how your child is slowly moving their wrist back and forth with the instrument? They are learning to shake the maraca and planning out their movement.”

Session plan:
      Gathering/Greeting: “Hello” (NR) to use with individual names, “Hey, Hey Come and Play!” (EKS)
      Bonding Songs: “A Car on my Knee” (EKS) adapted for use with some sensory activity (i.e. tickles, light brushing, squeezes), “Wiggly, Jiggly Car” (EKS), “Watch Me Go” (EKS)
      Songs About Me: “I Have a Space Around Me” (EKS) to transition into focus on their personal space and bodies, “My Eyes are On My Face” (EKS), “All of This is Me”(EKS), “I Can. You Can. We Can Sing!” (EKS) for the child to use their voice purposefully and mimic.
      Instrument Songs: “All Night! All Day!” (EKS), “Come on Let’s Make Some Music” (EKS) adapted for drum with accelerando, “Dorian Dance” (EKS),
      Movement Songs: “More Music” (self composed) to practice ‘more’ sign, “Come On Let’s Make Some Music” with different movements instead of body parts (i.e. clapping, marching, bouncing, walking, rocking), “I Can Move Around” (EKS) to move from circle/lap time to free standing/crawling movement, “Jumping Up, and Jumping Down” (EKS), “Come and Join the Circle” (EKS) to gather everyone in for the goodbye song.
      Goodbye: “Thank you very much” (EKS) to facilitate the beginning of social interaction (I LOVED that idea, by the way), Music Time is Over (EKS) with the ‘all done’ sign at the end.

Christina Wensveen

Participant

5 words: Observers, Independent, Explore, Energy, Play

5 phrases to say to parents:
      1) “It may take a bit of practice to synchronize movements with your baby during lap rides”
      2) “Don’t worry about your baby crawling around- they need to move and are still listening to the music experience”
      3) “Sometimes children observe more at first, but typically join in the music making when they feel comfortable”
      4) “If you’re child isn’t following directions to play up/down, that’s ok! We want them to play independently and learn at their own pace”
      5) “We wash our instruments after every session. Please place any instruments needing a clean in the bin marked “Wash Me”

Session plan:
      Gathering: Hello (NR) to each child, Hey! Hey! Come and Play!(EKS) Bonding songs: Hold on tight (EKS) Wiggly Jiggly Car (EKS) Songs about Me: Can you see me? (EKS) Just like me (EKS) Instrument song: We are making music (self composed)
      Movement song: As big as can be (EKS) March with my baby (EKS) Closing: Goodbye (MRP) Thank you very much (EKS)

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

5 Words describing Sprouting Melodies 2: Engage, Exploration, Authencity, Observers, Surprise

5 phrases for parents: 1) I know it must be difficult to let them move around on their own, but we are here to support their discoveries. We are providing a safe environment which will allow them to maximize their overall experience in music, as they move around here and there. 2) During lap rides, its important to sync to your child’s rhythm 3) What you are seeing is not your child being unmotivated or not engaged. They are processing the music and what is happening in their environment. 4) It’s not so much about imitating movements and listening to directions. We want the babies to understand that they have a choice in musical-play, and that they are not limited to shaking just up/down. 5) To help your baby jump, it will be best to support them to land firmly on the ground. The outcome should be the same each time he/she jumps in order to provide a predictable experience.

Plan: Gathering song/Greeting: “Hey! Hey! Come and Play” EKS, “Hello to You” Originally composed, Bonding Song: “Wiggly Jiggly Car” EKS, “Jingle Up Jingle Down” EKS, Songs About Me: “All Of This Is Me” EKS, “Can You See ME?” EKS, Instrument Song: “In My Little Hand” EKS, “I Like This Song” Movement Songs: “I Can Move Around” EKS, “Can You Follow?” EKS, Goodbye

Jonni Fogerty

Participant

5 words: active, engaged, trust, learning, exploration

Sentences: 1) Make sure the bottoms of your baby’s feet are touching flat on the floor as you tap them. This will help organize her. 2) Feel free to let your baby move around the room. The environment is safe and your child needs the opportunity to explore. 3) Don’t worry about instruments going in the mouth. Just put them in the “wash me” bin and we’ll make sure they’re sanitized for next time. 4) If it seems like your child is not participating, he is probably just taking time to process everything going on around him. He’ll join in when he’s ready! 5) If your child isn’t imitating our actions exactly, that’s fine! She’s exploring and learning to make her own choices.

Plan: Gathering Song: The More We Get Together (Traditional); Bonding: Wiggly, Jiggly Car (EKS); Instrument: Egg Shaker Blues (Gary Johnson); Movement: The Leaves Are Falling (Music Together); Cool Down: All of this is Me (EKS); Goodbye: Hey, Hey Goodbye (self-composed)

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content