Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2014 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Laura Myers

Participant

1. Exploratory, active, playful, engaging, and supportive
      2. Through the music your child is continuing got leArn trust and independence.
      Music will encourage free movement.
      The music will offer your child the freedom to move around, but they will need you as a secure base to come back to.
      The music will begin to illustrate anticipation for your child.
      The children will be engaged in the music making whether or not they are outwardly participating.
      3. My plan for SM 2
      Begin with setting the environment, allowing families to come in and get settled, maybe some music on to great them, as well as me greeting everyone.
      I would then use a gathering song to begin the music making, such as hello. I may also add in sit down with me to prepare them for the next song, the bonding song- wiggly, jiggly car.
      Since that song can get exciting I would bring the energy level down for the song about me- just like me. Next in instrument playing I might try something a little more active, maybe dancing in the middle. And then the children can keep the instrument for the movement song, marching in the middle. And keep a slight relationship between the instrument song and the movement song. Then we will end the session with a moderately paced good bye song, to be followed up with a slower thank you song.

Ian Crawford

Participant

5 words about the music experiences:
      Exciting, playful, engaging,

5 sentences for parents:
      1. It’s ok to let your child move in and out of the circle. This supports their movement from Trust to Independence by allowing them to choose to engage actively, observe, explore on their own, or take a break.
      2. It’s ok for your child to explore the guitar!
      3. When we play instruments, it’s fine if your child isn’t playing all the time, or isn’t doing exactly what I’m doing. Having those musical choices is what’s important at this stage.
      4. When engaging musically with your child, observe his/her movements and reflect (or synchronize) his/her rhythms and tempo with your own movements.
      5. Your child may simply sit and observe at times. Remember that even in those moments of observation, your child’s brain is still at work gathering information, and you may hear them singing these songs in the car or at home.

I don’t feel like I’ve explored enough of these songs to create a decent plan for a Sprouting Melodies 2 class yet. But I do understand the structure and I’m starting to really think more deeply about the songs I currently use in my work and how they might fit into the framework of a Sprouting Melodies class. However. tomorrow I plan to dive into the songbook and hopefully will come up with something to post tomorrow evening!

Ericha Rupp

Participant

Five words: discovery, authenticity, observation, playful, and surprises.

Five Sentences:
      1) Children at this age are completely absorbent to a variety of information.
      2) It’s okay if your child doesn’t refer to peers during the music activities.
      3) It’s all about having musical choices and the ability to explore and not about actually moving the instrument as suggested.
      4) Your child may choose to explore instruments with hands or mouth.
      5) Your child may move body parts with internal rhythmic beats.

Plan: In general I’d plan for a lot of structure in the environment while also adapting all the activities to the different levels and abilities of all child and parents in the group. Change the timbre of my voice, include a variety of surprises and opportunities for exploration.

Shonda Malik

Participant

5 words; explorers, observers, movers, surprises, fun

5 sentences; 1. If you notice your child sings the songs at home but never in class that is normal and completely okay. 2. Your child will enjoy facing you at times and facing towards the group at times. 3. It is okay for your child to explore the room, even if it seems they are not engaged in the song, this is normal and they will rejoin the music making when they are ready. 4. Help your child organize and feel safe in their jumping by firmly planting their feet on the floor with each landing. 5. When you child finishes with an instrument and it has been in their mouth please place it in the bin marked “wash me.”

Session plan sprouting melodies 2; 1. Instrument exploration- recorded music during arrival. 2. Gathering song-Hey! Hey! come and Play! (EKS) 3. Hello song- NR 4. bonding-wiggly jiggly car (EKS) 5. Instrument play-dancing in the middle (EKS) 6. Gross motor movement-pick your hands up high (EKS) with scarves 7. Cool Down- can you see me? (EKS) 8. Goodbye (MRP) 9.Farewell-Thank you very much (EKS)

Kristina Rio

Participant

Remember to list specific songs whether they be from the video this week, one of your own songs, or from Beth’s songbook! The purpose of this question is for you to have a song framework for a SM2 session ready to go so you can look back at it if you plan to start groups of your own!

Lysa Wright

Participant

1. Exploration, observation, energy, free movement, surprise.
      2. It’s ok for your child to explore, they aren’t expected to sit and attend for the whole time. At this stage, It’s not so much about following directions as it is making choices. It’s ok if your child is sitting and just listening, they may not be excitedly participating at all times, just think of all the info they are absorbing by listening! Music encourages fee movement from your child. You helping them stomp their feet on the floor helps them organize movement.
      3.a) Gathering/greeting song at beginning like Hey! Hey! Come and Play! b) bonding song like Wiggly, Jiggly Car c) Songs about me like Just Like Me d) instrument songs Sit with me and Shake-with maracas, or Dancing in the Middle- gathering drum e) movement song As Big As Can Be f) goodbye song followed by a thank you song and shaking hands with children

BJ Waelz

Participant

The music in SM2 again is engaging, fun, interactive, interesting and age appropriate. It was easy to see this music was for an older crowd of children with growing independence. It allows opportunities for surprise, response, interaction and musical growth. I liked the originality of the music, yet melodies were simple enough for families to learn and reproduce at home.

My Session Plan might look like this:
      Welcome Song
      Lap Song
      Instrument / movement song
      Dance or out of seat type song (with scarves etc)
      Listening Song
      Then I would determine the direction needed to work towards the end of the session.
      Closing Song

When speaking with parents I would encourage them to let their child participate as they are able, “Johnny will come back to you when he is ready” , “I love how Katie is watching everything that is going on, she is really taking it in”, ” See how Jackie is manipulating that instrument, very soon she will be playing to the beat with us!”

Parents need reassurance that what their child is doing is appropriate and “on target”, I have many parents who seem to worry about their child doing every task perfectly, just as I demonstrated it.

Adrienne Salmon

Participant

5 words to describe the music experiences in SM2: surprising, engaging, fun, exploratory, and energetic.

Sentences: 1). 1. It is absolutely fine if your child isn’t doing exactly what I’m doing; it’s most important that the kiddos are making their own, independent musical choices. 2). If your child wants to explore and move about the room, that is fine! It is both important and encouraging that they feel comfortable enough to explore the space on their own. 3). Make sure, if your child wants to bounce, that their feet are planted firmly on the ground and that you are there to physically support them so that they are as safe as possible. 4). A 45-minute session is a very long time, so it is fine if your kiddo’s focus isn’t 100% on the session 100% of the time. They are absorbing and processing the session even if their full attention isn’t on it. 5). Don’t worry if your kiddo wants to orally explore the instruments; I have sanitizing wipes and each instrument is cleaned following every session!

My session plan might look like: Welcome/ Hello song, an instrumental tune such as Come With Me and Play A Little, followed by Sit With Me and Shake, then a movement/play song (maybe pre-recorded, maybe I Can Move Around depending on ages of group members), then self-identifying songs such as All Of This Is Me and/or Can You See Me, followed by a Goodbye/wrap-up song

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content