Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2015 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Jessica Bogacik

Participant

– Five Words: Playful-Explore-Growing-Moving-FUN!

– Five Sentences: 1. Let’s make sure our babies’ feet are planted on the ground so they feel the rhythm of this lap ride.
      2. It’s ok that she is just watching us sing and play. She is participating by absorbing everything around her, and she might go home and practice the songs and join in next week!
      3. It’s so great that he is moving away from you while he is playing that maraca! He’s really growing.
      4. We teach our babies independence by giving them freedom to move away from us, but always being the secure base for them to return to when they choose.
      5. I’m so excited to see him playing the drum/maraca/shaker any way he chooses to! We’re looking for our babies to explore and make their own musical choices!

– SM2 Plan: 1. Hello Song (Greeting, and transitioning into musical space)
      2. Sit Down With Me (Gathering, bringing everyone together)
      3. Wiggly Jiggly Car (Child starts off with parent, getting lots of rhythmic input through their feet and interaction with that person that they trust the most)
      4. Sit With Me and Shake (Giving children opportunity to branch away from caregiver a little – make musical choices, explore instruments, but still following adult models, and knowing they can come back to their caregiver)
      5. March With My Baby (The children keep their instruments and may really start to demonstrate independence here)
      6. Just Like Me (Cool down – bring children back to the safe base of the caregiver, but maybe facing outward towards the rest of the group this time)
      7. Goodbye

Natalie Condon

Participant

5 Words: Playful, Discovery, Surprise, Anticipation, Motion

5 Sentences: “Some children will face inward towards you, but give them the option to face outward and see everything that is happening around them.”
      “By sitting them in your lap and tucking your arms under their shoulders they have the ability to hold on you you and to feel the motion of clapping when you clap.”
      “When holding them up to jump make sure their feet come firmly back down to the ground so they can feel how to stand strong and with certainty.”
      “It’s okay if the child is just watching, it is a lot to absorb and internalize.”
      “It’s okay if they explore the guitar with me, it’s how they learn and become comfortable”

SM2 Plan:
      Gathering: “Would you like to play some music?” with drums in a horse shoe around the room to welcome them in and transition.
      Hello: “Hello Everybody” greeting each child.
      Bonding: Lap Ride “Wiggly Jiggly”, strong rhythmic base.
      Song about me: “Just like Me” Lower energy and being aware of self.
      Instrument song: “Sit with me and shake” Giving direction options (high, low, fast, slow), but really just giving them a chance to have musical options and choices.
      Movement: “March With My Baby” High energy jumping, running, marching.
      Goodbye: “Goodbye Song” closing music time and saying bye to each child.
      Transition: “Thank You Very Much” Giving the children the chance to say thank you for the music to me, peers, and back with their caregiver.

Leigh Ann Walberg

Participant

Five Words: Exploration, Surprise, Observation, Playful, Startle

5 Sentences: Children at this age will still startle easily and often scared by lack of authenticity. Start working with your child to face outward on your lap during a session, rather than facing you. This is the age where they will start developing a sense of security. It is ok if they wander a bit and don’t stay right in the circle. When jumping with them, or doing anything with the feet, make sure their flat feet hit the floor for better input, not their heels.

SM2 Plan: Gathering/Greeting-Hey!Hey! Come and Play!
      Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car–therapist have some time with some of the children on her lap to help with trust and give time to assess
      Songs About Me: Can You See Me? and Just Like Me
      Instrument Songs: Sit with Me and Shake–do this several times, playing with the Stop!, different speeds and high and low
      Movement Songs: March with my Baby
      Goodbye-Goodbye song and then end with Thank you very much and have the older children start to walk around and interact/shake hands with other children/parents

Kayla Hamilton

Participant

Five words: Playful, Fun, Surprise, Moving, Observant

Five sentences: 1. “Please be sure that your child’s feet land firmly on the ground while jumping or standing. It allows for them to be more aware of their place in the space” 2. “It is okay for your child to take some time to get their wiggles out before coming back to music.” 3. “Your child can face towards you, but give them the option to face outwards and see what is happening” 4. “It is okay for your child to leave to circle and explore. This is a safe place.” 5. “It is okay if your child isn’t doing the actions! They are actively listening and observing what is happening.”

SM2 plan: 1. Hello/Gathering: Hey! Hey! Come and Play! 2. Bonding: Wiggy Jiggly Car 3. Me: Just Like Me 4. Instrument: I Feel the Beat 5. Movement: March with my Baby 6&7: Good Bye: Thank You Very Much and Music Time is Over

Mikhala Majeau

Participant

Five words: Playful, Surprise, Explore, Energy, Free

Five Sentences: 1. It’s okay if your baby watches here, s/he is learning and will practice later. 2. Let your child explore and move around the room, it is perfectly ok. 3. Your baby may want to be close to you, but s/he may want to explore. Either is wonderful!
      4. Remember to have your child’s whole foot touch the floor while jumping or stomping, this will help orient him or her better. 5. Your child is watching you, have fun, and s/he will learn by watching you!

SM2 Plan:
      Embedded music at the beginning with instruments on the floor. Hello/Gathering: Hello Everybody. Bonding: Hold on Tight. Songs about me: Can you See Me? Instrument Songs: Dancing in the Middle. Movement Songs: March with my Baby. Cool Down- Scarves with embedded music, then a book. Goodbye: Thank You (Renee Coro) and Thank You Very Much

Michelle Nettle

Participant

Five words: Playful, Exploration, Surprise, Energy, Authentic

Five Sentences:1. It’s okay if your child is just observing, as they are taking it all in and will likely do it later at home. 2. Don’t worry if your child isn’t always in the circle- at this stage of development they are looking to explore and will often come “in and Out” of the activities in a session. 3. When they leave you to explore, they are not rejecting you, they are just forming their sense of identity. 4. Children learn a lot from the sensations on the bottom of their feet, so make sure when we do jumping or stamping movements, that you ensure your child’s entire foot is firmly planting on the ground. 5. When positioning your child on your lap, set them in the middle of your lap and wrap your arms under theirs so that the child’s arms and hands are freely able to touch the “outsides” of your arms or hands as you move them out and in to clap. This way your child can experience going to their midline or not, depending on how comfortable your child feels be choosing to hold onto your hands or not.

SMP2 Session Plan: Gathering Song: Hello Everybody. Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car. Songs About Me: Can You See Me? Instrument Song: Sit with Me and Shake. Movement Song: March with my Baby. Goodbye: Goodbye and Thank You Very Much

Amanda Goff

Participant

FIVE WORDS: 1) FUN 2) INDEPENDENCE 3) EXPLORE 4) RHYTHM 5) MOVING!!!

FIVE SENTENCES:
      1) Parents please, not only have your child sit in your lap facing the group, but also have your child face you and continue that bonding relationship.
      2) Let your child explore the room, to go in and out of the circle, it is alright for your child to wander it is a safe and fun environment.
      3) Parents, when your baby is sitting in your lap, it’s helpful to put your arms under your babies arms to keep that sense of security and to help move and to hold instruments.
      4) It’s great that your babies are singing these songs at home, we encourage that so much, sometimes it’s about hearing the songs here and practicing them at home, so please sing these songs at home with your baby!!!
      5) This is about you and your baby having this time together, having fun together and your baby finding their independence through you.

SESSION PLAN SM 2:
      Gathering/Greeting~ Hey, hey come and play
      Bonding~ Hold on Tight
      Songs About Me~ Just Like Me
      Instrument Song~ Dancing in the Middle
      Movement Song~ Marching with my Baby
      Goodbye~ Music Time is Over

Melissa Hentges

Participant

Five Words: Laugh, Move, Active, Independent, Play

Five Sentences for Parents: It’s ok if she wanders away during a song, she knows you’re here when she’s ready to come back. He probably won’t clap quite yet, but put his arms outside of yours and he will feel you clapping. This is a lot of information to take in, she is just processing what is going on and I bet you will hear her practicing later! Try to plant his feet firmly on the ground, he’ll have a better sense of his body in space. She probably doesn’t want to be picked up because she is trying to hold on to all of those instruments.

SM2 Lesson:
      Gathering – Hello Everybody; Bonding Song – Hold on Tight; Songs About Me – Can You See Me?; Instrument Song – In My Little Hand; Movement Song – Pick Your Hands Up High; Goodbye – Thank You Very Much

Lauren Servos

Participant

5 Words: surprise, move, personality, active, independent

5 Sentences for Parents: “It’s ok if she doesn’t follow the directions!” “Look what this baby is doing. Let’s all bounce like her!” “She can hold on to as many shakers as she wants.” “I love to hear all of the parents singing!” “It’s ok if your baby crawls away from you. She’ll come back!”

Session plan: Greeting time prior to the session. Gathering: “Hey! Hey! Come and Play!” Bonding song: “Hold On Tight.” Song about me: “Just Like Me.” Instrument song: “Sit With Me And Shake.” Movement song: “March With My Baby.” Goodbye: “Thank You Very Much.”

Linda Madler

Participant

Five words to describe Sprouting Melodies 2:
      Exploration Surprise Safe Variety Energy

Five sentences to use with parents:
      “Don’t worry that he’s not doing everything here. Isn’t it great when he sings it at home?”
      “Look how your child is responding—she’s anticipating the surprise!”
      “Remember when your child only shook the maraca a few times? Now’s he’s playing the whole song!”
      “When you make sure your child’s whole foot is on the floor, s/he feels grounded and safe and stands stronger.”
      “It’s o.k. that she’s not lifting the jingles up high like us. She’s exploring making choices about how to play.”

Sprouting Melodies 2 Lesson Plan:
      Gathering/Greeting-Hey! Hey! Come and Play!(I like the surprise final “hey!”)
      Bonding: Wiggly, Jiggly Car (This song encourages independence but feels very safe)
      Songs About Me: Can You See? (fermatas add surprise, pitch matching gives opportunities for individual response, change in dynamics adds energy)
      Instrument Song: Sit with Me and Shake (ROM, tempo; stops for surprise, controlling movement, etc.)
      Movement Song: Pick Your Hands Up High (fluid movement with scarves, explore/safety)
      Good-Bye: Good-bye, Thank You Very Much (sign of respect, good transition. I always say good-bye at the door for school classes but I’d like to give this a try, too. Also might be good when you classes back to back and need to clear room but still appear calm?)

Robyn Rutland-Coleman

Participant

Five words: discovery, play, wonder, surprise, observing

Five sentences for parents: 1) I have created a safe space for your children to explore, so please let them roam whenever they want to! 2) Have you noticed how much they love those little surprises in the song? Don’t get tired of singing it over and over — they love it! 3) Don’t mistake standing and watching during class as not participating — they are doing important inner work! 4) As you jump your baby up and down, make sure the bottoms of their feet land on the ground — it gives great sensory input and makes them feel secure in the movement. 5) After you’ve had your special face-to-face time, let’s turn them around for the rest of the song — they want to see everyone!

SM2 Session Plan: 1) Gathering: Sit Down With Me, 2) Bonding: Wiggle, Jiggly Car, 3) Song About Me: Just Like Me (perhaps include another song in this section to help both parent and child to form a sense of child’s individual sense of self), 4) Instrument Song: Dancing in the Middle (with gathering drum), 5) Movement: Pick Your Hands up High (with scarves), 6) Goodbye: Goodbye song, then Thank You Very Much with handshake for each child, either in circle or at the door as they leave.

Steven Clarke

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies® 2.

Curiosity. Motivation. Variation. Balanced. Enjoyable.

Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2.

“Did you notice her respond when we paused for about three seconds the first couple times and then she began to self initiate her responses towards the end of the song?”

“Did you notice your child having some difficulty clapping during that last song? Try putting your son on your lap, and let your arms support underneath his shoulders. This way he can hold on to you for support if needed, but you both also have the freedom to move along to the music without obstructing each other.”

“That is great that she is moving her legs so energetically to the music! We want to organize body movements through the rhythm of the music. Try grabbing her feet from the top and helping as she stamps so that the bottoms of the feet are flat on the ground.”

“Have you noticed how he had moved from mouthing the maraca to moving it very slowly from side to side, but now he is shaking it two or three times in a row? These are indicators of your son’s developmental progress. He’ll be stopping and starting on cue in no time at all!”

“It’s great that she came up and hit the drum after the song was over, this is part of her exploration of the music. Did you notice how the other children were exploring the drum through playing with their feet and sitting on it?”

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies® 2 session

Gathering/Hello song: It’s Time to Sing Hello
      – Children and parents sing and wave to one another

Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car
      – Therapist models movements with or without guitar while singing. Parents give child lap ride while following moves and singing.

Songs About Me: This is Me
      – Children follow movements modeled/sung by therapist/parents identifying hands, knees, feet, toes, eyes, head and smile

Instrument Song: Drums are Fun
      – Children play along with drums while therapist sings and plays guitar. Children invited to Stop/Go and/or play Fast/Slow

Movement Songs: Marching to the music
      – Therapist leads group while marching and singing. Different ways to move are modeled and incorporated if suggested.

Goodbye Song: Lets all sing goodbye
      – Group sings and waves good by with modeling and prompting from therapist/caregivers.

Jamie Sacca

Participant

Playful, anticipation, exploration, safety net, energy.

5 sentences to say to parents:

– “it’s alright if Johnny wants to explore the room and watch his peers, he’s still listening!”
      – “parents, if baby wants to cuddle close, then go right ahead! But it’s alright if they’d like to look out at all that’s going on with their friends!”
      – “watch your child as we get to the surprise part of the song- see how they react!”
      – “encourage baby to try touching their toes, or reaching for (body part) at that part of the song- see if they can do it with you!”
      – “remember to support your child’s motor movements by helping them securely stomp their feet with the bottom of their foot touching the floor, and to support their palms touching when they clap!”

Class plan:
      Greeting song/gathering- hey, hey come and play. Inviting each student to join in and be a part of the group
      Bonding song- I really like jiggly wiggly car here and how it encourages bonding but also exploration and body movement by the student
      Songs about me- can you see me? Great for encouraging more independent movements and engaging with their caregiver and with their peers
      Instrument songs- dancing in the middle (with drum)
      Movement songs- pick your hands up high
      Goodbye- thank you very much

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

I apologize in advance for any typos…..I’m mostly typing 1 handed due to a broken collar bone.

5 Words to describe music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2: Playful, Observation, Exploration, Surprise, Spontaneous

5 Sentences to use when speaking with parents:
      1. Your child is exploring his/her independence at this stage. It’s alright that he/she leaves your lap to check out what is happening.
      2. At this age children are observing everything around them – even though it might appear that they aren’t participating or are even interested bonding time with you.
      3. Your child is learning that he/she can control their environment as they make music (response of others as they play and then stop playing an instrument)
      4. Your child is enjoying this bonding time with you (can demo positioning to parents to help with bonding)
      5. Take cues from your child (interested in participating, finished and ready to do something else, etc.)

Plan for Sprouting Melodies 2 Group:
      Gathering/Greeting Hey! Hey! Come and Play! (EKS)
      Bonding Wiggly, Jiggly Car (EKS)
      Songs About Me All of this is Me (EKS)
      Instrument Songs Sit with me and Shake (MRP)
      Movement March with my Baby (MRP)
      Goodbye Goodbye (MRP)

Amanda Barnett

Participant

5 words: independence, exploration, anticipation, surprise & play

5 sentences:
      “For this activity we want to make sure baby’s feet are planted on the ground so they get the full sensation on the whole bottom of their feet.”
      “Look how adventurous s/he is becoming by venturing away from you during this activity! S/he is becoming little miss/mister independent, aren’t they?”
      “Baby may seem like they aren’t involved but the involvement is their observing and absorbing everything happening around them. They are doing great!”
      “Did you notice how baby anticipated your movements during the last time through the lap ride activity? S/he is learning how to prepare herself/himself for the movements learned from previous run throughs of the activity.”
      “It’s perfectly alright if baby goes to the ‘hiding area’ during this activity. Just because they aren’t completely engaged in this activity doesn’t mean they don’t like it. They are just branching out of their safe zone & trying out new things. It’s a wonderful thing!”

Gathering song: hello everybody! -greeting everyone & welcome them to the group as you transition into music time.
      Bonding song: Wiggly Jiggly Car -(FYI: my 1 year old LOVES this song)
      Songs about Me: can you see?
      Instrument song: pick your hands up high!
      Movement song: Marching with my baby
      Goodbye song: goodbye

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content