Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2015 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Mary Carter

Participant

Five Words: Exploring, excitable, testing, lively, learning

Five Sentences: The work of the children here is to play. It’s alright for them to leave the group for a while and then come back. Let your child face the center so they can see their peers. Just because they are quiet and they seem like they are not participating does not mean that they are not learning from what they see and hear. Place your arms under your child’s arms and hands to model while we clap together.

Opening Song: Hello to Our Friends and Welcome to Music (My friend came up with this one…don’t have a link to share 🙁 )

Bonding/Lap song: Ha Ha This Away I think there are many ways to adapt this old folk song. I typed it into youtube and found a music therapist giving some examples. This is not necessarily how I would do it in this context but I think it’s good enough to share and to show how you could use this song in other ways. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTCNFPb1dE4

Songs About Me: Oh what a miracle! (Hap Palmer) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFlVciz8aGs

Instrument Song: How You Gonna Shake It? (Don’t remember where I learned this one…it goes through, loud, soft, fast, slow)

Movement Song: I’m gonna move to the music (Again, don’t remember where this came from…)

Goodbye Song: Time to Say Goodbye

Mary Jane Dibble

Participant

5 Words: fun, engaging, helping, encouraging, exploring

5 Sentences: -synchronize your movements with the speed of your child on the lap ride
      -letting the child have some independence in getting away from you is ok
      -help the child tap their foot with the flat part of their feet are on the floor, we want to organize their bodies through rhythmic movement, they need to feel feet firmly on the ground when jumping to help with their certainty with their position in space
      -it’s about making their own musical choices, they don’t have to be going exactly along with what’s happening
      -children observe what adults are doing, we want them to be observing you
      -independence is good it’s ok if they’re not following with the group the whole time and they go off on their own some

Plan: I really liked the examples given in the video so I wrote some of them down to use in my sessions:
      *Hello Song: (I really like the 2 word hello song because it’s easy for the parents to sing along to)
      *Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car (I’ve started using this in sessions and it’s been great)
      *Songs About Me: Can You See Me?
      *Instrument Song: Come Along and Play with Me (on the drum)
      *Movement Song: Let’s Go Fly a Kite with scarves
      *Music Time is Over and Goodbye Song

Corie Barkey

Participant

5 words: inviting, variety, stimulating, grounding, and playful

5 sentences: Allow your child to explore the space and learn.
      More than one instrument is GREAT, it is their choice today!
      Flat feet on the ground will help to organize your child.
      Listening is a perfectly acceptable way to participate.
      An instrument to the mouth is ok, and is how your child is learning about it right now.

Plan:
      Gathering: Hel-lo (tune of Hi-Ho from Sleeping Beauty) opens with a call an echoed Hello octave … so fun
      Bonding/Lap ride: This is the way the Cowboy Rides (progressively gets more bumpy on the parents lap)
      Songs about me: Just Like me …this has been stuck in my head for about 4 days now : )
      Instrument: Dancing in the Middle
      Movement: Little Friends Dancing in My Heart adaptable to all levels of movement from rocking to jumping
      Goodbye: Time to Say Goodbye (NR i think)

Molly Moses

Participant

5 words: energy, observe, play, explore, and spontaneous

5 sentences: Help your child so that the bottom of his foot is tapping! It’s okay if your child wanders. Have your child face the middle so she can see everyone. Place your hands between your child’s so they follow your clap. It’s okay if they’re not specifically following the group, they are making their own musical choices!

Plan: Gathering: Look Who’s Come to Music Today. Bonding: Wiggly, Jiggly Car (I loved that one in the video)! Songs about me: Just Like Me. Instrument Song: Sit With Me and Shake. Movement Song: March With My Baby. Goodbye Song: Goodbye Song.

Cynthia Cross

Participant

5 words:
      playfulness, variety, surprise, energy, exploration

5 sentences:
      It doesn’t matter what they shake or how many they shake!
      It’s not about playing ‘high or low’ but about making musical choices or watching others do it.
      They need to be able to explore and be able to come back.
      Value the play – it is the work of children.
      Let the babies move!

Session:

Hello – maybe an energized version of the SM1 hello song

Greeting – name song

Bonding – I love Wiggly Jiggly Car! Maybe a song about playing/having fun

Songs about Me – I still like Just Like Me for this group, and it would be familiar from SM1

Instruments – a shaker song and a drum song

Movement – Put Your Little Foot, like the Marching song, Colors are Moving (with scarves)

Good-bye – We’ll Sing Good-bye (this is slightly adapted from Kids Can Listen, Kids Can Move)

I also like the idea of a thank you song

Kristina Rio

Participant

Great plans and sentences everyone! As Erika said last week, these will be helpful when you start your own classes, so be sure to print them and save them in a folder for reference later!

Cynthia Cross

Participant

Quick question: what software or program do you use to notate your original songs? I have been doing it the old fashioned way with manuscript paper but now that I’m writing more songs I’d like to upgrade! Thanks!

Emily Baroody

Participant

five words: playful, energetic, exploring, variety and observing

five sentences: Make sure to face your little one out so he can see everything, you can help support your child’s development by making sure his or her weight is evenly distributed through the feet when they are standing. Watching is still engagement its ok if he or she wants to watch, its ok for them to move around this is a safe space for exploration, sixty seconds of singing solidifies social synapses ( I heard this one on one of the videos linked to this week’s content and I really really like it)

Hello song-

gathering song
      Are you ready for music?

Bonding
      wiggly jiggly car

songs about me
      just like me

instrument song
      in my little hand

movement song
      pick your hands up high

Goodbye song-

Laura Silvestain

Participant

5 words: exploration, stimulative, surprising, moving, variety

5 seentences: This time is for exploration if your child wants to do so. If they are not comfortable with facing the group, some time can be spent facing you. Your child can use as many or as little instruments as he/she want; this is their way of exploring and recreating sound. Hold your baby in the way that is most comfortable for them, but remember to give them a solid foundation with their feet planted squarely on the floor. Your child is still participating and absorbing the music even if he/she is not moving or playing an instrument.

Plan: Hello: Good Morning to You
      Bonding Song: Wiggly Jiggly Car
      Songs About Me: Just Like Me
      Instrument song: I think I would find or create my own shaking or drum song
      Movement: Marching with Baby
      Goodbye Song: I like the idea of keeping the same goodbye song for every level of Sprouting Melodies classes

Mary Kerrigan

Participant

It’s okay for your child to walk or crawl around the room or sit facing outward. It’s important to let them explore the space, each other and other parents and then allow them to feel they can come back to a comfortable space in your lap and arms. Don’t worry about their wandering or exploring the instruments we want them to explore things and start exploring their independence. It’s okay to help your child tap their feet or jump and clap. Make sure when jumping to have their feet firmly touch the floor to help them feel grounded in their movement.

high-spirited, captivating, free, stimulating, spontaneous

Greeting Song: “Hey! Hey! Come and Play!

Bonding Song: “Wiggly Jiggly Car”

Songs About Me: “I’ve Got a Song in My Tummy” – Lori Berkner

Instrument Songs: “Sit With Me and Shake”

Movement Songs: “Will You Come?”

Goodbye: “Goodbye Everybody”

Anonymous

Inactive

Cynthia you have several options for music notation. The free programs that have had good reviews are Musescore https://musescore.org, Finale Notepad http://www.finalemusic.com/products/finale-notepad/, and Noteflight https://www.noteflight.com/login. Then if you want a professional program that has all the bells and whistles you have Finale (link is the same for Finale Notepad, and Sibelius http://www.sibelius.com/home/index_flash.html. Finale and Sibelius are expensive programs but worth the money if you are looking for the all encompassing programs.

Beth is also a wonderful resource for music notation so I would definitely recommend reaching out to her.

Brianna McCulloch

Participant

5 Words: Anticipation, Surprise, Exploration, Energetic, Freedom

5 Sentences: Suzie might like to face the group now, but still sit on your lap. Look how John is moving around the room–he’s really exploring everything and everyone. It’s fine that Luke isn’t singing along here–he’s processing them and learning them here and you can sing them with him at home. Can you help your daughter tap the bottom of her feet on the floor? Not just those heels, make sure the bottom of their feet are tapping along.

Opening Song: Hello, What is your Name?

Bonding/Lap song: Put Your Seatbelt On/Wiggly Jiggly Car

Songs About Me: Grey Squirrel

Instrument Song: The Dinosaurs! (with drums)

Movement Song: Move Your Body Along or I’m Gonna March With My Baby Now (I really love this!)

Goodbye Song: See Ya Later, Alligator

Melaine Pohlman

Participant

5 words: Playful, Energetic, Exploring, Motivating and Engaging:

5 Sentences:

*Notice how your little one is beginning to match the pitches and engage in the musical conversation with this song.

*Your child is watching you make musical choices and is doing the same. It’s okay if they have more than one shaker or shake in a different way.

*Your little one may appear not to be taking it all in since they aren’t singing, but I know they are taking it all in; I bet you’ll see the results of that when you’re at home!

* While your child still is looking to you as a safe and secure home base in our group it is great to see them exploring their environment a bit on their own as well!

* No worries that some children might not be “in” the circle all the time; we like to see them starting to explore this safe environment a bit.

Session Plan:

Gathering: Hey! Hey! Come and Play!

Lap Song/Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car (awesome song!)

Song About Me: Can You See Me

Instrument Songs: I Like this Song

Movement: March with my Baby Now

Goodbye: Goodbye

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content