Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2015 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Everyone. Make sure to include the songs you will use in your plans and be sure that you also including them in your Sprouting Melodies 1 plan as well. I would also recommend keeping a copy of the plans you made as you can have them in the future when you need them.

Dina Breaux

Participant

5 Words: Joyful; Fun; Family; Learning; Creative
      5 Sentences:
      Did you see your child stop when the music stopped?
      Watch how your child is starting to shake the maraca to the music instead of mouthing it.
      Try tapping the bottom of your child’s feet so they can feel the beat of the music.
      It’s okay if your child wants to move around the room while we are singing. It’s because the feel safe enough to do so.
      This time, turn your child towards the circle as we sing “Wiggly Jiggly.”
      Session Plan:
      Thankfully, I ordered Beth’s book and have been using many of the songs. Right now, my sessions go something like this: an unaccompanied welcome song to transition children to the play area (Good Morning To You); a hello song (traditional song, Hello, Everybody)in which I sing each child’s name and invite them to strum the guitar; a bonding/lap song (They love Wiggly, Jiggly) with the caregiver and I giving each child a chance to sit in our laps; an instrument song (I use Shake your Sillies Out and change the words); a song about me (I started using That All Makes Up Me); a movement song with guitar (Will You Come); a story (This week is 5 Little Pumpkins); a goodbye song that includes each child’s name (I use the chorus of the 70’s song, ”Na, Na, Hey, Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye); and finally, a goodbye/clean up song (Music Time is Over works very well) to help them put away instruments, because once I bring them out, they do not like to put them away!

Lauren Klimek

Participant

5 words- independence, learning, awareness, fun, exciting. 5 sentences- “It’s okay if they are playing off beat as they’re learning how to make music and play the instrument” “You can put him down so he can explore, it’s okay if he wanders from the circle and then comes back as he’s exploring his environment and the music” “Make sure to mimic the therapist’s movements in the song so your child knows it’s okay to do it too” “Look at how she is anticipating the next word in the song, she’s learning the music and processing the order of it” “Give your child some time and space to experience what it likes to make music and to be in music.” Session Plan- Free play with instruments and/or books and toys during the greeting, Gathering: Sit down and join the circle, How do you do and shake hands (with one version of singing faster and shaking hands faster) into Here’s my hand baby (with tambourine- child hits the tambourine with their hand on the word hand and yes), Marching/Movement: Can you follow? and/or scarves- Pick your hands up high-where oh where is my face, Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car, Songs About Me:All of this is me, Instrument Song: We’re going to shake, Goodbye- Bye Bye (with bells), Music time is over. There is always a transition clean up song in between the songs that require instruments or props to be put away which is, “Clean up put away we’ll play again another day.” I LOVE Beth’s songs. Most of the songs I use are her’s except a few that are my own. When I grow up I want to write children’s songs like Beth ha ha ha ha ha!! 🙂

Gina Greeson

Participant

Five words: Exciting, creative, energetic, welcoming, joyful

Five Sentences:
      1. Did you see how your son anticipated what I was going to do in the song? That’s great!
      2. It’s okay if your daughter is just observing the sessions. She is processing what is going on and will likely remember the songs at home!
      3. Wow! Look at how he trusts the group member next to you-she went right to your lap with your daughter!
      4. Try making sure you firmly plant your son’s feet on the ground so he is grounded in the music.
      5. Look at how she bounced to the music! That’s great!

Session Format

Welcoming Music (one of the Putumayo kids classic songs )
      Greeting/ Gathering (The Hello Song)
      Bonding Song ( Jiggle Up, Jiggle Down)
      Songs about Me ( All of This is me)
      Movement Song ( March With My Baby)
      Instrument Song (Dancing in the Middle)
      Transition Song (instruments away song)
      Bonding Song (Hold on Tight)
      Songs about Me (Just Like Me)
      Goodbye into Thank you Very Much

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, everyone

Five words/terms that I feel describe SM2 – playful, joyous, exploration, “quiet energy”, and welcoming. Five sentences that I may share with a parent are: “It’s totally fine for baby to explore the instruments/guitar/etc! No worries!” “Feel free to sit with your baby in your lap so that he/she can check out what’s happening!” “I invite you to help model clapping for your baby – here’s a great way to do that.” “It’s ok for him/her to be watching the other people in the group, and check out what’s going on. Look at how much he/she is taking in!” “At this stage of development, it’s wonderful to help your baby to organize him or herself. One great way to do that is to help make sure that your baby is able to feel his/her feet firmly on the ground when we’re standing, jumping, etc, in the music. Here’s s great way that you can help!”

Session format: I would start with some quieter, yet playful music as people are coming in. Gathering song – Good Morning To You into Hello, Hello! Bonding song – Come Sit With Me. Song About Me – All Of This Is Me. Instrument Song – In My Little Hand. Movement Song – Marching With My Baby. Transition/Bonding Song – perhaps something familiar to parents such as Twinkle Twinkle, or Hush Little Baby. Goodbye – It’s Time To Go into Thank You for Singing Today.

Joanna Calahan

Participant

5 Words: Exploration, Movement, Fun, Interactive, Playful

5 Sentences: Watch how your child is exploring the space around us by moving/dancing. He/She must trusts the space around us. It’s ok to give him some space to process the music- he’ll interact when he’s ready. I encourage you to keep mimicking my motions in the songs as this will encourage your child to participate. Look at her move to the rhythm!

Session: Good Morning to You, Bonding Song- Wiggly Jiggly Car, Songs About Me- Just Like Me, Instruments- I Like this Song or a song called Razzle Dazzle (I believe it’s from BrightStarts), Transition/clean up, Movement- March with My Baby and/or I Can Move Around, Songs About Me- Can You See Me, Cool Down with a book or familiar folk/children’s song such as Twinkle Little Star or You Are My Sunshine, Goodbye- Music Time is Over

Dina Breaux

Participant

This questions goes out to everyone:

Any ideas or songs to put instruments away? I have been using Music Time is Over to put away the instruments and as a final, closing song, but the kids still protest and do not want to let go of those drums and shakers! ha ha ha! It’s so sweet, but I need a gentle way to encourage them to let the instruments go. Thank you in advance!

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, Dina. I usually make something up on the fly. Thus far, my two favorite improvisations have surrounded either (a) “it’s time for the instruments to have a bath”, or (b) “it’s time for the instruments to have a nap.” Other than that, I usually sing a Goodbye/Thank You For Singing song, during which I prompt the kiddos to put the instruments away. Hope that helps a bit!!

Dina Breaux

Participant

Thanks, Megan! Yes, I do use the song Music Time is Over as the very last thing we do, putting the instruments away while I sing. The children are beginning to respond appropriately, but it’s so sweet because they help put them away and immediately take them back out again! They’re so darn cute! I know that when I have groups with parents involved, it will be easier to transition.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Dina, I typically keep the melody of the song I was using for the instruments to cue to put away the instruments and also as a transition into the next experience. If I have any kiddos that are having a difficult time with this I also sing about how it’s difficult to let go and give back something that was fun to validate their feelings. I also, add, how we will get to see these instruments again the next time we see each other. Most children seem to follow putting their instrument in the box within the first to second session, but there are some that need a few sessions before they can do this, and then there are those who need support weekly. Some times, for the very young children, especially those who are not yet verbal, I let them hold on to an instrument through the transition and once they are engaged in the next experience they typically drop the instrument or are ready to put it away. This is for my Sprouting Melodies classes, in my therapy groups it can be a much longer an difficult process. Megan thank you for sharing. That is a great ideas.

Kristina Rio

Participant

I use “It’s time to clean up the instruments (or shakers) and put them all away.” Repetition is key! Once the children can trust that something else that’s predictable is coming, they will be more ready to clean up independently. I also use Erika’s technique of letting the child hold on to the instrument a little longer until they drop it independently. Other times, it’s great to model for parents a technique to help with the physical aspect of letting an object go. If you firmly rub the top of their hand it stimulates the release of their grasp. Opposite that is if you tickle their palm with an instrument or your finger, the response if for them to grasp. If you are moving into something with another object for the kids to hold, it can be helpful to do a trade such as a scarf for a maraca. I also keep the instruments on a high shelf mostly out of sight, so once they are cleaned up they are not visible or reachable! Hope this helps!

Kristina Rio

Participant

Lauren, If you do fulfill your dream of writing children’s songs, be sure to share on the provider’s forum so we can learn from you as well!

Dina Breaux

Participant

Thank you so much, Erika and Kristina! Those are wonderful ideas and I will begin to incorporate them into my sessions.

Dina Breaux

Participant

Lauren, I love Beth’s songs, too! Last week I improvised a melody while putting instruments away and wished I had recorded it because I couldn’t remember it later. It would great to have a copy of Meredith’s songs, too! hint hint 🙂

Anonymous

Inactive

Dina Meredith gave me a copy of her CD when I became a Sprouting Melodies provider. I sent her an email and asked if I could have a copy and she was happy to share.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content