Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2013 Week 7 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 2. Write 5 sentences you can use when speaking with parents about musical responses of children in SM 2. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 2 session.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Lauren Stoner

Participant

5 Words to describe SM2: (anticipated) surprise, active, observation, variety, playful

5 things to tell caregiver about musical responses: 1) “It is okay if they want to hide/twirl/dance off to the side; they will come back to you and back to the music.”; 2) “You want to encourage your baby to step with the bottom of their foot to organize and ground them.”; 3) “Your child might not be able to clap right now, but the position of your body can help them be successful.”; 4) “It is okay if they are not singing/ playing right now; they are still taking things in and processing.” 5) “It is okay if your child is not shaking based on the direction; they are making a musical choice.”

Gathering- Hey, Hey Came and Play (EKS); Bonding- Hold on Tight (EKS); Songs about me- That all makes up me (EKS); Instrument song-Shake Five (EKS); Movement- March with my Baby (MRP); Goodbye Song- Goodbye (MRP); Thank you very much (EKS)

Stacy Reno

Participant

5 words: exciting, exploration, suprise!, observation, impromtu

5 ideas to share with parents: 1: Postion your child so they are facing the group! Have them seated with your arms under their shoulders so when they need to they can touch you! 2. Some children will stay on their parents laps and others will move about the room. Both are ok – everyone is progressing at their own rate. 3. Feet are a great way for children to take in information. When they are sitting on your lap and stomping their feet or jumping make sure that the bottoms of their feet are making solid contact with the floor. 4. It’s ok when your child would rather move around the room then sit with you. They are not rejecting you but rather developing their own identity. 5. It’s ok if your child does not follow specific song directions (up/down) it’s more important that they are making music independently!

Gathering/welcoming: Can you see me (EKS), Instrument: Sit with me and Shake (MRP)..love this tune! , Movement: March With My Baby (MRP)- looking forward to trying this one! I like the transition from the instrument song and keeping the instrument for the movement song. Goodbye: Thank You Very Much (EKS) – Love the social aspect of this one.

Keeley St Clair

Participant

5 words: Playful, trust, anticipation, rhythmic, active
      Sharing with parents:It’s wonderful to keep your baby close to you; if they start to fuss they may need to sit facing away from you so they can see what is going on in the circle. It’s ok if your baby isn’t doing everything we do; they are watching and learning – they may do them later for you at home or in the car ride home. Because we are focusing on developing trust and independence, its fun to let children experiment with sitting with their friends, on another adults lap or on the Music Therapist’s lap. Your child knows you are their safe and secure zone and that you are there to come back to.
      Plan: Greeting – Good morning and Hello hello
      Bonding – Wiggly Jiggly
      Instrument – Shake, shake shake (directional movements and start/stop opportunities)
      Movement (keep instruments) – Climb aboard the music train
      Goodbye – we had a lot of fun, thank you very much and music time is over

Kehlen Bushatz

Participant

5 words: Liberating, reactive, explorative, engaging, active.

5 Sentences-
      1. Let your kids go… they need to move!
      2. Change up which way your child faces, especially if they get fussy!
      3. Make sure your child’s feet are planted firmly on the ground while moving them up and down… it will help them feel more secure!
      Make sure parents know instruments get washed between classes…
      4. It’s okay if your child puts an instrument in their mouth. They are exploring and often mouth things at this age.
      5. Your child may not participate in every song… they will go back and forth between observer and participant during a session.

Plan
      1. Hello (name), Hi How ya doing?- Greeting
      2. Wiggly, Jiggly Car- Bonding
      3. Just Like Me- Songs About Me
      4. Play Your Instruments With My Music… Can incorporate fast/slow and start/stop easily.
      5. March With My Baby- Movement
      6. Strum my Guitar (name) to say goodbye.
      7. Goodbye, Goodbye… similar tune to “Goodnight Sweetheart” song.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Hope we can get together sometime for a song swap!

Coleen Shanagher

Participant

Words: Freedom, exploration, observation, variety, anticipation
      To caregivers: 1. Mouthing instruments is okay because it shows us that they are growing and exploring their world while finding new sensations. 2. Don’t worry because all of our instruments are cleaned after every use! 3. We can look at different ways to hold/support your child so that they can face you or their friends. 4. Sometimes children will sit and watch, or feel and instrument rather than playing it the way we are showing them but this is how they are becoming familiar with the instrument. 5. Give your child the space and encouragement to explore the room/group on their own and trust that they will come back to you, at which point you can give them a big hug.
      Plan: 1. Hello (mine) 2.Hold on tight 3. Can you see me 4. Peek-a-boo (mine, with scarves) 5.March with my baby 6. Music time is over.

Toni

Participant

5 words: Exploration, play, engaging, surprise, observant

5 Things to tell parents/caregivers: 1) It’s ok to let your child explore the environment and the instruments – it’s all part of their development 2) We clean our instruments before they are used again, and we make sure that the instruments we provide have no small parts and are non-toxic; Don’t worry if your child needs to mouth the instruments. 3) Each child will progress at his/her own pace. It’s ok if your child is not always doing the activity, sometimes they need to watch, and later will surprise you by doing the activity spontaneously! 4) This class offers a safe environment for the little ones to explore, making new friends and knowing that you are close by to go back to. 5) Help your child to plant feet firmly on the ground while moving them up and down to provide more stability and security.

Session: Hello song – Good Morning; Bonding – Trot Old Joe; Songs about Me- Just Like Me; Instrument Experience – Shake Your Instruments; Movement Experience – March with My Baby; Goodbye Song

Andrea U

Participant

5 words: Exploration, identity, understanding, independence, playful

5 things to tell parents/caregivers: 1) Let’s drum together to engage the children in the music 2) If your child wants to walk around the room, that’s okay! 3) Let your child play the way they want – they are just exploring their independence (and musical instruments!) 4) Don’t worry if your child isn’t playing they way you want them to – they are engaging in the music in their own way. 5) If your child begins to get fussy, change the direction of the way they are facing! Maybe they want to see their friends!

1) Come on in to Music Time 2) Hey! Hey! Come and Play! 3) Wiggly Jiggly Car 4) Can You See Me? 5) Sit With Me and Shake 6) I Can Move Around 7) Music time is Over

Sarah Tree

Participant

5 words: exploring, engaging, exciting, anticipation, Independence

It’s okay if your child doesn’t stop and go, or even play at all. They’re still processing the music.
      If your child is ready to jump or stomp, you can press their feet into the floor for them or simply tap the bottoms of their feet.
      Getting to midline can be difficult for babies at this age, so as you’re sitting, scoop your arms underneath theirs when we’re clapping. They may just watch, or they’ll clap along with you.
      Feel free to let your child explore the room! They’ll come back to you when they’re ready.
      Don’t be afraid if your child explores the instruments with their mouths. Developmentally, that’s what we expect. All of our instruments are cleaned in between every session.

It’s time for music, hello everybody, ride the big red fire truck, Head hands knees and feet, sit with me and shake, come and play with me, bye-bye music time is done.

(Sorry if the formatting/capitalization is weird. I had to use my phone for this today)

Erin Spring

Participant

5 Words: Exploration, Free Movement, Playful, Spontaneous, Timbre Variety

5 Phrases for Parents: Vary the directions in which your child faces; Allow your child to explore playing different instruments in varying ways- including using their mouth; Encourage movement by allowing the child to move freely and support their movements; Each child progresses at their own pace; Encourage Independence

Sprouting 2 Song Plan: Sit With Me, Hey Hey Come and Play, Horsey Carry Me, Just Like Me, In My Little Hand, I Can Move Around, Music Time Is Over

Shannon Kiley

Participant

Excitement, Energy, Independence, Motion, Growth

1) Feel free to let them roam the room! 2) It’s OK if your child wants to just watch; they are absorbing as much as those who are roaming. 3) Children at this age love to know that they can do it themselves; give them the opportunity to do that! 4) If you hear your child vocalizing in response to the music, they are singing! 5) You child will likely want to explore many ways to play the instrument– there is no wrong way!

Hello: Hello Everybody!, Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car (EKS), Song About Me: Just Like Me (EKS), Instrument Song: Shake It Up Baby, Movement Song: Move Your Feet (SK), Goodbye: It’s Time To Say Goodbye

Kathryn Opher

Participant

Exploring, joy, excitment, laughter, energy, independence.

It’s ok to let him leave the circle. It’s fine not to sing–they are listening and absorbing for later. I love how you found a new way to play that instrument. What great sound we are making together. All our voices sound great to our kids.

Hello, Clap your hand (Hap Palmer) silly sound song (KHO) shake the sillies out, left right drum song (KHO) rainbow scarves in freeze dance. Good bye

Petra Paukova

Participant

5 words: Playful, independent, energetic, rhythmic, active
      5 sentences: Even if you child does not participate right now, he is still getting a lot just by observing others. Allow your children to explore all the instruments and let them make a choice which one THEY want to play. Try to repeat that line your child just made up! He will like when you follow HIS lead sometimes. He is getting independent at this age.
      Plan: Hello song; Clap clap clap your hands; Shoo Fly with scarves; Come on let’s make some music with movement; Like a lion, like a lamb body play; One one play the drum; Good bye song

Jennifer Sokira

Participant

5 Words: Mover, Independent, exploration, instruments, playful

1) Isn’t it fun to watch your child anticipate the “surprise” in this song!
      2) It’s okay for your child to explore the room- they will come back!
      3) If your child is on your lap, try turning them around to look at the group too!
      4) You might begin to hear your child “practice” their songs at home- even if they are quiet here sometimes-that’s great!
      5) There are many ways to play instruments!

Session Plan:
      Gathering: Hello Everybody
      Bonding and Instrument: Jingle Up Jingle Down (EKS)
      Song about Me: Just Like Me (EKS)
      Movement: Feel the Beat: JMS
      Goodbye: Thank You (NR)

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content