Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 8 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3. Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 3 session and Family Sprouts sessions.

Kristen McSorley

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3:
      Action, Emotion, Play, Independence, Friendship

Session Plan: *Gathering: Gather Round, incorporates body percussion and provides structure to bring everyone to a shared musical space; Hello song, spending time to greet each individual. *Bonding song: Row it Faster, a familiar song from earlier classes, but can now engage with more independence/possibly sing the words to the song; *Songs about me: Today I Think I Won’t Be Me, playing with imagination and imitating animals; *Instrument songs: Shake, shake, shake with egg shakers and directional movement (high/low); You play a little, this is one of my favorites to encourage sharing with friends and referencing others in the room. It also begins to cool the session down as part of it is passive (watching others play). *Movement Songs: You are my sunshine, simple movements to provide a soothing cool-down; *Goodbye: goodbye song saying goodbye to each group member; *Show Me You’re Ready: transition song to move to the next activity

Family Sprouts:
      Helping, Collaboration, Understanding, Supportive, Growth

Session Plan: *Gathering: hello song greeting each individual; Find a Beat: body percussion song to further engage older ones while providing for some body awareness for little ones. *Bonding song: Hold On Tight, has surprises and changes to interest the older ones while incorporating the little ones with bonding with parents. *Songs about me: Just Like Me, soothing song that fits the comfort of the younger ones, older children can help assist by pointing out their own body and their sibling’s body (when relevant). *Instrument songs: I Can Move Around, safe exploration of instruments, can introduce directional cues within the song to suit the older children; *Singing: I Like This Song, yet another soothing song that encourages being in the music, can practice vocalization with older children. *Goodbye songs: singing goodbye to each individual, practicing “thank you” through sign or singing.

Kelsy Gati

Participant

Sprouting melodies 3: deliberate, independent, creative, playful, social

Hello song: I’m glad you’re here today!: greet all kids by name, provide opportunities for everyone to meet and know each other
      I’d like to Ride a Bike: an activity that allows for movement with instructions through movement to allow opportunities for independence.
      My eyes are on my face: body awareness! (Perhaps do another body awareness song here like head shoulders knees and toes)
      I like this song: free instrument exploration, create social and listening opportunities through turn taking?
      Movement: a simple marching song that incorporates moving fast and slowing down to prepare for the end of group
      Goodbye: closure and transition out of music

Family sprouts: busy, supportive, teamwork, cooperation, sharing

Hello: come on let’s make some music!: introduce all kids by name and perhaps acknowledge show is siblings with whom?
      Wiggly jiggly car: allows for independent movement and group movement for those kids who still need assistance
      That all makes me: individual body awareness
      Just like me: social connectedness and opportunity for peer interaction
      I really gotta jump: independent jumping and jumping with caregivers
      Shaker song: up/down and fast/slow directions.
      Can you follow?: more peers interaction opportunity
      Goodbye

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3: active, deliberate, creative, strong, intentional.

“Let’s Sing Hello Together” – gathering song; greet each child by name.
      “Oh Gather Round” – additional gathering song.
      “Swimming Together” – bonding song.
      “Bean Bag Dance” – songs about me.
      “You Play A Little” – instrument play.
      “Will You Come” – movement.
      Pete the Cat: Wheels on the Bus – book to cool down.
      “Goodbye Song” – closure; sing goodbye to each child.

Family Sprouts: adaptive, supportive, joyful, sharing, individualized.

“Let’s Sing Hello Together” – hello song to greet each child.
      “Sit Down With Me and Sing This Song” – additional gathering song.
      “Wiggly Jiggly” – bonding song.
      “Put Your Finger On” – songs about me.
      “I Like This Song” – instrument play for everyone!
      “I Can Move Around” – movement.
      “Row Your Boat” – familiar song that can be adapted with additional movements to fit the needs of children of different ages/abilities.
      “Goodbye Song” – sing goodbye to each child.

Ashley Carroll

Participant

5 Words for SM 3
      Personality, Emotional Growth, Interactive, Discovering Boundaries,
      Independent

5 words Family Sprouts
      Bonding, Helpful, Sharing, Transformative, Individual

Sprouting Melodies 3 Session Plan
      Gathering/Greeting – “Hello Everybody”- familiar song, possibly used at every session to give predictability to start of session and bring focus into music time.
      Songs About Me- “Where is the Music?”- gives music ownership to children. Builds confidence within music play and great transition to active musical play
      Instrument Song- “You Play a Little”- Beginnings of turn-taking skills and possible peer-peer interaction. Transition to Bonding- “My Brand New Friend”- encourages peer to peer interaction and independence from parent/caregiver
      Movement-“Will you Come?”- offer opportunity for choices (run, march). Again focusing on ownership and independence.
      (Instrument)“Music is the Way”- setup with dyad to bring the bonding to parent and child within instrument playing. Musically slowing down to transition to ending session.
      Goodbye- “Thank you Very Much” Provides closure to group but also supports the theme of ownership for thanking each child for participating in the group.

Family Sprouts Session Plan
      Gathering/Greeting- “Hello Everybody”- setting tone of being engaging for older children, yet tolerable for younger children/babies.
      Bonding Songs- “Hold On Tight”- If both children want to be on parents lap, encourage parent to have the oldest child closest, if possible.
      Songs About Me- “All of This Is Me” Body awareness, older children can show off here, pointing to their own or their siblings different body parts.
      Movement- “I Can Move Around”- provides opportunity for older child to experience some independence, instruments could be used (best judgement based on age range in group).
      Instrument Songs- “I Like the Song”- Provides structure with a lot of freedom for each family unit to engage in their own way, with each other. Could create another opportunity for bonding within the family unit.
      Goodbye – “Music Time Is Over” – brings closure to group and transition to next activity.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

SM3: Energetic, playful, explorative, independent, choice-filled

Session Plan: “Let’s make some music”: gathering song/instrument exploration. “Hello, Hello!”:greeting song to welcome each person. “Row it faster” bonding/lap song. “Who’s that?” song about me/bonding. Use scarves for a peek-a-boo game.”All Night! All Day!” Instrument play using drums, maracas, and bells “Show me how you can move!” gross motor movement. Take cues from class for dance moves. “Goodbye for Now” farewell, identify each group member

Family Sprouts: siblings, inclusive, adaptable, playful, love.

Session plan: “Hello, Hello.” greeting song, welcome each group member. “Roll Over” lap/bonding song. “The leaves are falling” song about my world. Use scarves so older kids can dance with scarves and caregivers can move the scarf over baby’s head/face. “I like this song.” instrument play with various instruments for different skill levels. ” will you come?” movement song/ little ones can be held by caregivers while we move about the room. “Here is a beehive” bonding/cool down. “Goodbye Goodbye” Farewell, dress each individual.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Great job on these! I love how you are already thinking about why you are using each song and how the children can participate at their own level!

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3
      Creativity, independence, interactions, intentional, ideas

Gathering: Sit Down With Me and Sing This Song – I’ve added this into frequent practice since learning it here!
      Hello: Oh Golly Golly Golly Good Morning – Song I learned at a conference years ago — by Marcia Humpal? Continue with strong knee patting, introduce each child.
      Bonding: Do You Want To Be My Friend? – Also introduced into my practice since learning it here
      Song About Me: Song in My Belly – Laurie Berkner
      Instruments/Book: Quiet/Loud by Leslie Patricelli together with the gathering drum
      Instruments: Music is the Way To Say – I love this. Add harmonic content.
      Movement: Move Your Body – add different motions
      Goodbye: Music Time Is Over

Family Sprouts
      Shared, balanced, multi-level, challenging, rewarding

Hello: Let’s All Sing – sing for each child
      Bonding: Hold on Tight – another song I love and have added to my repertoire. I can see this working well with all ages as mentioned.
      Song About Me: All of This is Me – have older children model and support younger siblings.
      Instruments: Looby Loo – allow each child to play/explore at developmental level. Offer directions for the older children to engage in.
      Movement: Let’s Go Fly a Kite – with scarves, older children can be quite active, younger children can be visually stimulated by scarves flying in the air and touching them
      Goodbye: Swing Low/Goodbye – calming down, combine traditional soothing song and swaying with goodbye lyrics

Note to moderators: Something funny happened with my computer logging out but keeping the video screen, and a link took me astray — and I posted in the November 2012 training! Sorry!

Belinda Adams

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3 words inventive, thoughtful, emotion centered, choice driven, energizing

Gathering: “Come Have A…” Hello: “I wanna say Hello…” Bonding: “Shake a Friend’s Hand” Song about me: “That’s Me” Instruments: “We are Great Musicians” Betsy King Movement: We are the Dinasours — Laurie Berkner Goodbye: “Goodbye, Goodbye” to Louie, Louie

Family Sprouts Words: bonding, inclusive, multi-level, adaptable, safe

Hello: “Everybody’s here” Bonding: “We’re all together” Song About Me: “These are my…” Instruments: “Let’s Make Some Music” NR Movement: “Dancing is what I feel like doing” Scarves/streamers: “Shiny ribbons” Goodbye: “NA,NA,Na,NA Goodbye”

Katy Hutchings

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3

5 Words: Moving, Character, Flexible, Supporting, Opinionated

Session Plan: Gathering – Sit Down with Me (encourage focus on the circle and to bring the children into a group with the parents), Bonding – Swimming Together (especially as the weather is getting warmer!), Songs About Me – My Eyes are on my face (children love pointing out body parts and interacting with parents), Instrument Song – You play a little (introducing the concept of taking turns), Movement Song – Will You Come (combine with instruments to encourage moving about the room), Goodbye Song

Family Sprouts

5 Words: Together, Modeling, Active, Accommodating, Fun

Session Plan: Gathering – Hey Everybody (inviting and welcoming to all ages), Bonding – Wiggly Jiggly Car (parent can “drive” more than one child at once), Songs About Me – All of This is Me (older child can show off body awareness and engage with younger child), Instrument Song – Dancing in the Middle (get everyone up on their feet moving together with instruments), Movement Song – Can You follow me? (engage and control large movements), Goodbye

Kristina Rowles

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3

Active, Strong, Personality, Creative, Intentional

Session Plan: Sit Down With Me (Gathering) – This invites the group together with a strong rhythmic beat, Swimming Together (bonding) – This is a great song to use for the warm weather that is coming and a great bonding song, Where is the Music (Songs about Me) – this is a great way to help with caregivers who do not normally sing. It is important to help them feel comfortable with their voice as well as with their kids, Music is the Way (Instrument Song) – this is a great way to introduce two hand instruments and harmonic instruments as opposed to the rhythmic instruments mostly used in previous groups, Will You Come? (movement), this is a great song to provide very structured movement for kids, Music time is over (goodbye) – this song provides closer and uses simple sign language

Family Sprouts

Support, Joyful, Busy, Sharing, Connections

Session Plan: Come and Join the Circle (Gathering) – this song provides a strong rhythmic beat to gather the group, Hold on Tight (bonding song)- this song is great with appropriate language for the older kids and simple music components for the younger kids, All of this is me (songs about me) – this song can allow the older kids to assist the younger kids in identifying body parts and making connections, I like this song (instrument song) – this song is musically simple to allow both older and younger children to play instruments and provides the opportunity for older kids to play more complex instruments, I can move around (movement), this song allows everyone to participate in their own way, It’s time to say goodbye (goodbye) – this is a song that is very quite and simple and brings it back down for the younger kids in the group.

Tiffany Lee

Participant

Family Sprouts: support, sharing, individuality, connecting, cooperation
      Session: “Hey Everybody”- Gathering song, Row it Faster – Bonding Song (can be exciting for all ages and there may be a wide range of how the children participate ie sitting on mommy, jumping with a friend, independently bouncing), Can you See me? – Songs About Me, I like this song- instrument song (gives children an opportunity to explore instruments on their own in their own way), Will you come – movement song (get the energy up!), Goodbye followed by Thank You Very Much (cool down and acknowledge each person in the group).

Sprouting Melodies 3: Active, Creative, emotions, intentional, Push & Pull
      Session: Hello Everybody – Gathering song, Hold on tight- bonding song (opportunity for closeness for the younger ones and high energy for the older ones), Where is the music? – Songs about me (great bridge into an instrument song & to get the parents involved in the chant), You play a little – Instrument Song, The leaves are falling -movement song (great sensory song and cool down before goodbye), Goodbye & Thank you very much!

Noelle Larson

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3: Flexible, exploratory, momentum, emotions, engaging

Session Plan: *Gather Round: Gathering song. Welcome families and children, give invitation to begin music and engage children wherever they are in the room and emotions. Invites full body engagement. *My Brand New Friend: Group bonding, social growth opportunity, encourages safe and friendly interactions with other children and parents. *Where is the Music: Song about me. Chant with body rhythm promotes group identity and reinforces that the children have music “in them.” *Will You Come: Movement song. Opportunity for expressive movement of all varieties. *You Play a Little: instrument song. Reciprocal play opportunity, parents can re-create at home, helps children learn the difference between the self and the music partner. *Music is the Way: instrument song. Provides a cool-down, centering for the group before completion. *Thank You Very Much: Goodbye song. Acknowledge each group member, physical interaction, transition out of music and into rest of child’s day.

Family Sprouts: Adaptable, leadership opportunities, variety, joyful, cooperation

Session Plan: *Come and Join the Circle: Gathering song. Engaging contour and body rhythm calls families into the music. *Row it Faster: Bonding song. Gives older sibling opportunity to be a leader with younger sibling. *Just Like Me: Songs about me. Older siblings can help younger sibling find their various body parts and “be the teacher.” *I Can Move Around: Instrument and Movement song. Accessible to many developmental levels; older children and play more complex instruments, younger children can participate and engage to their abilities, as well. *Music Time is Over: A transition song from music to the rest of the child’s day. Opportunity to make connections with what other group members are doing.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3:

Active, deliberate, fun, educational, strong

GATHERING: Sit Down with Me, BONDING: My Brand New Friend, SONGS ABOUT ME: Where is the Music, INSTRUMENT SONG: I Can Move Around, MOVEMENT SONG: Will You Come, GOODBYE: Thank You Very Much

Family Sprouts

Fun, sharing, encouraging, joyful, variety

GATHERING: Come and Join the Circle, BONDING SONG: Wiggly Jiggly Car, SONGS ABOUT ME: That All Makes Up Me, INSTRUMENT SONG: Dancing in the Middle, MOVEMENT SONG: I Can Move Around. GOODBYE: Thank You Very Much

Stephanie Harris

Participant

SM3

Personality, Creative, Deliberate, Strong, Active

Gathering: Sit Down with Me, Bonding: Swimming Together, Songs About Me: Where is the Music?, Instrument Song: You Play a Little, Movement Song: Will You Come?, Goodbye: Time to Go

Family Sprouts

Joyful, Cooperation, Helping, Magical, Busy

Gathering: Come and Join the Circle, Bonding: Hold On Tight, Songs About Me: All of This is Me, Instrument Songs: I like this Song, Movement Song: I Really Gotta Jump, GoodBye: Music Time is Over

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3 – Active, Intentional, Creative, Self-Determining, Creative

Gathering: Shake Hands with Me – encourages everyone to come to the circle and interact with others
      Bonding: My Brand New Friend – encourages interaction with others and independence from parent.
      Songs About Me: All of the is Me – encourages children to identify self vs. everyone else.
      Instrument Song: You Play A little – encourages turn taking.
      Movement Song: Can You Follow? – encourages children to pay attention and do what others are doing.
      Goodbye: Goodbye /Thank You Very Much – acknowledges everyone and brings everything to a close.

Family Sprouts – Flexible, Inclusive, Sharing, Busy, Challenging
      Gathering: Hey! Hey! Come and Play! – Is very flexible and accessible to all ages while encouraging interaction and community.
      Bonding: Hold On Tight – it can be a bonding family experience with everyone on Mom’s lap.
      Songs About Me: Just Like Me – Can make comparisons between older/younger children and older students can be the “teacher”
      Instrument Song: You Play A little – encourages interaction and the opportunity for older children to demonstrate and encourage younger children.
      Movement Song: I Feel the Beat – the beat can be tapped with younger children, while older children can walk, jump and move around.
      Goodbye: Goodbye /Thank You Very Much – acknowledges everyone and brings everything to a close.

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

SM3

Accepting, active, emotion, purposeful, creative

Plan- Greeting: I’m glad you are here today. Gathers everyone and supports child’s creativity
      Bonding: Swimming Together. Moves child towards independence.
      Songs about me: My eye are on my face. Give child response time.
      Instruments: I can move around. It is ok for the child to leave their parent’s side.
      Goodbye: Thank you very much. Allow for socialization between children.

FS

Joyful, busy, sharing, support, together

Plan-
      Gather: Come lets make some music. Inviting and brings everyone together.
      Bonding: Hold on tight
      Songs about me: Can you see me. Encourage interaction between siblings. Give older child a sense of leadership.
      Instruments: You and me makes we. Older child can be a model to younger child.
      Movement: I can move around. Older child can move about independently.
      Goodbye: Familiar goodbye song and Thank you

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content