Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 8 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3. Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 3 session and Family Sprouts sessions.

Susan Gannon

Participant

5 words for music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3 – independence, self-control, emotions, intentional, active

5 words for music experiences in Family Sprouts – joyful, wide range, cooperation, making connections, individuality

Plan for Sprouting Melodies 3:
      1) Gathering/greeting – As the children come in, I currently use a song that begins “Come and join my circle” it repeats, and then I sing “Sit right down” or “It’s round like a ball” and make up other things that a circle is like. The children love this song and it gets them ready to listen. 2)Gathering/greeting – I then use a hello song such as Hello Everybody. 3) Now that the children are a little older and more able to make friends, I think the song “My Brand New Friend” will work really well to encourage bonding with those they know and making new friends. 4) Songs about Me – I have several songs about me already, but I am definitely going to try the song titled “Where is the Music?” I think I will then try to fit in a book that I can set to music. So many books for young ones are so simple and repetitive that it should be easy to make up a tune. 5) Instrument Songs – There are so many songs to use for playing instruments that this is one place where I won’t be too repetitive. I have songs about playing rhythm sticks, shakers, drums, and more and there are songs that aren’t about any one instrument but have a steady beat and are just encouraging you to play along. I will try “I Like this Song” in the Sprouting Melodies literature. 6) Movement songs – I can’t wait until Fall to try “The Leaves Go Down” but now I use a song about flowers growing and bunnies hopping. 7) Goodbye – I use a very simple “Time to Go, Say Goodbye” chant.

Plan for Family Sprouts:
      1) I would set out a greater variety of instruments for the larger age range and play some cheery children’s music. 2) Gathering/greeting – A simple song like “Hey Everybody” would interest the older children but be tolerable to the infants. 3) Bonding Songs – Any of the bouncing, lap songs would be good because babies could be held and bounced and older children could sit on laps or legs and be able to get off and on by themselves. 4) I think “Can You See Me?” or “All of This is Me” would be great because older children would have fun showing babies about themselves. I also have some peek-a-boo songs that would work well getting older children to cooperate and have fun with younger siblings. 5) Instrument Songs – “I Like This Song” played with maracas. 6) Movement Songs – Again, a song like “Can You Follow?” would foster cooperation and have the siblings doing things together. 7) Goodbye – Most goodbye songs would work here as long as they weren’t too complicated.

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.
      Intentional, Push and Pull, Personality, Active, and Creative

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts.
      Cooperation, Individuality, Support, Bonding, and Joyful

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 3 session and Family Sprouts sessions.

Ok I think you want two session plans here…..

sprouting melodies 3 session plan:
      Begin with “Gather Around” and have children and parents pick the movements they wish to do in the song. 2. “My Brand New Friend”- use a scarf and model with a child first the song then have each child find a friend to do the song with. 3. “Where is the Music”-I like that the kids get louder as the song comes to a close for this song, it shows an understanding that they are musical for them personally and it shows the parents they their kids are connecting with the experience. 4. “Music is the Way”- allow for instrument exploration, for increased bonding between parent and child, and for a “slow down” of session. 5. “The Leaves go down”- an up tempo son but not too active to end wind the group down. 6.”Time to go.

Family Sprouts Session Plan
      1. “Come and Join the circle”- the chant is easy to pick up and also makes the parents a little more comfortable if they do not see themselves a musical 2. “Hold on Tight”- If sitting older child can sit on parent and younger child can sit on older sibling 3. “All of this is Me”- younger kids can point to their body parts and older siblings can help their younger siblings. The song can also be done fast to challenge the older children. 4. “I like this song”- Everyone can play an instrument on this song and older children will have more options for 2-handed instrument play 5. “I can move around” 6. “It’s Time to Say Goodbye”- siblings can share a scarf together for this song.

Julia Park

Participant

5 words to describe SM3: Active, Push and Pull, Personality, Emotions, Intentional

5 words to describe FS:Support, Sharing, BUSY, Helping, Connections

Plan for SM3:
      1. Gathering/Greeting: Place instruments in the middle of the room while everyone sits in the middle of the room. Encourage the children to go pick out their instruments. Therapist then sings the “Sit down with me” and encourage the children to return to their place where their caregivers are sitting. Parents pat their knees while children sing and play instruments.
      2. Bonding Song: Sing “Swimming Together” with everyone by swaying side by side.
      3. Songs about me: Start patting the knees and when everyone is doing it, start chanting “Where is the music”.
      4. Instrument Song: The therapist goes around the room and sing “You plan a little”.
      5. Movement Song: Give different colors of the scarfs to children as she sings and models the movement to song, “The leaves go down”.
      6. Good Bye: Sing “Music time is over” while doing the sign language “over”.

Plan for FS:
      1. Gathering/Greeting: Sing “Hey everybody” while patting the knees with everyone.
      2. Bonding Song: Sing “Hold on Tight”. Encourage the parents to have infants or toddlers on their laps or sit in front of them to hold them tight.
      3. Songs about Me: Sing “All of this is me” Sing slow the first time and then vary the speed for fun to entertain the older children.
      4. Instrument Song: The therapist plays the piano to accompany the children playing maracas and sing the song with the family.
      5. Movement Song: Encourage the children and parents grab maracas or drum to sing to “I can move around”.
      6. Goodbye Song: Give scarves to older children to wave while singing to “It’s time to say goodbye”.

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

Family Sprouts
      Five Words: Variety, relationships, inclusive, busy, adapt
      Session Plan:
      Gathering: “Here We Are Together” Sing each child’s name in the song to say hello.
      Bonding Song: “Horse and Buggy” Have each child sit on their caregiver’s lap. Bounce on lap and sway at appropriate times. Sing the song through twice (or more) so each child gets a turn with their caregiver.
      Songs About Me: “All of this is Me” Have children point to each body part mentioned in the song. Do a sped up version the second time for older children.
      Instrument Song: “Dancing in the Middle” Have children follow directions in the song. Offer a variety of instruments. Older children can play two handed instruments. Instruct parents on which instruments are more developmentally appropriate for their child.
      Movement Song: Offer children a choice between “I Can Move Around”, “Can You Follow?”, Will You Come?” Adjust musical elements for children at earlier developmental levels as necessary.
      Good-bye: “It’s Time to Say Good-bye” Have parents and children do scarf movement.
      Sprouting Melodies 3
      Five words: Active, moving, social, harmony, personality
      Session Plan:
      Gathering: “Here We Are Together” Sing each child’s name in the song to say hello.
      Bonding: “My Brand New Friend” Have two children hold opposite ends of a scarf. Change partners for finding a new friend. Parents can model this.
      Book: “Hand, hand, finger thumb” Before the book teach children that a book is something that you do not eat or bend. Show them the functional ability of a book. Pass out drums. Have children identify their thumb and play rhythm with caregivers during the chant.
      Instrument Song: “I Like this Song”. Have a variety of instruments for children to play. Especially have two handed instruments.
      Movement: “Do As I’m Doing” Have a child choose an action for the group to complete.
      Goodbye: “Thank-you very much” Have children shake hands as they say thank you.

Daniel Henry

Participant

5 words for Family Sprouts: inclusive, Flexible, Cooperative, Joyful, and Supportive

5 words for SM3: Accepting, Creative, Active, Enthusiastic, and Deliberate

SM3 Session Plan:
      1.Gather round 2. Where is the music? (Chants will make it easier for parents who feel uncomfortable with singing to participate) 3.Swimming together 4. My brand new friend (encourage parents to model by interacting with other adults in the class) 5.That all makes up me 6.You play a little 7.The leaves are falling 8.Time to go.

Family Sprouts:
      1.Hey Everybody 2. Row it faster 3. Wiggly Jiggly Car 4.Where is my face?(Parents can help younger participants while older ones can participate independently and with others) 5.That all makes up me 6.I like this song 7.I really gotta jump(Parents again help younger participants who need assistance) 7.Music time is over

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3. Control, Independence, Interactive, Push & Pull, Energetic

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts. Community, Diversity, Individuality, Supportive, Adaptable

Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 3 session and Family Sprouts sessions.

Sprouting Melodies 3 Plan Begin session with “Sit Down With Me”, then “Hey Everybody”, greeting each child individually; then move into bonding songs, “Hold On Tight” & “Row It Faster”, move into a song about me with, “My Eyes are on my face”; move into an instrument songs, “All Night!All Day!” & “You Play a Little”; Movement song, “The Leaves Are Falling” (I use this song a lot and have adapted it to the different seasons, ie., “The snow is falling, the rain is falling, etc.”; Goodbye Song, “Thank You Very Much”

Family Sprouts Plan 1.Come and Join the Circle, then into “Hey Everybody” greeting each child individually; Bonding song: “Row It Faster” & “Hold On Tight”; Song about me: “All Of This is Me”, older children can model for younger children; Instrument songs, “I Like This Song”, & “Dancing in the Middle”, you can reassure parents of younger children that even if they are not playing an instrument, they are benefiting from watching the other children play; Movement song, “Will You Come?” or you can give older children a choice of movement songs for increased sense of ownership; Goodbye song: “It’s Time to say Goodbye”

Alexis Ramagnano

Participant

Five words for SM3: energy, flexibility, expression, creativity, independence

SM 3 plan: Begin with “Sit Down With Me and Join My Circle” and allow the children to find a spot in the circle and encourage them to join in and encourage the others to join until everyone, who is willing to, has gathered together. Next, I would move onto “My Brand New Friend” and have the children begin where ever they are and then encourage moving to another group member and change the action ( shimmy shake, make a funny face, Etc.) Songs About Me I would Use “Where is The Music?” And encourage the group to tap on different parts of their body for each verse. For example the lyrics could include ” I make my music on my knee” ” I make my music on cheek” etc. I feel like I would incorporate a few Songs About Me because children in this age grouping tend to be focused on self. I really enjoyed “You Play A Little” for the Instrument Song selections because it encourages turn taking. Also, “Music Is The Way” is great for Instrument Songs but I can also see it being used as a Bonding Song. For Movement songs I would adapt the song “The Leaves Go Down” and have it fit the appropriate season “The Rain Falls Down” or ” The Snow Falls Down” or “We Fan Ourselves”. I like the idea of incorporating the scarves for this activity. Finally, I would end with a predictable Goodbye Song so everyone can prepare to leave music.

Family Sprouts five words: Bonding, Unique, Sharing, Relationships, Acceptance

Begin with “I’m Glad You’re Here Today” to greet everyone (make eye contact) and make everyone feel welcome and comfortable in the space. I feel that a few Bonding Songs might be needed in this grouping to allow each child the opportunity to bond individually with each person they came to the group with. Songs About Me, I enjoy the calm energy and focus required for ” All Of This Is Me”. I would encourage the children to assist their little ones with pointing to the body parts in the song and then do it for themselves. The Instrument Song ” Dancing In the Middle” would be great to give those older children the freedom to get moving in the group center and also allow the parents the opportunity to focus on their younger children. The “Can You Follow” movement song would incorporate instrument play or movement call and response. I would end with a goodbye song like “Thank You Very Much” because it is great to have the children shake hands with their loved ones and group members before they leave music.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Great work on these! Your detail is great and it will be so helpful to have these plans if you decide to start your own program!

Charniqua Snell

Participant

5 words for SM3: Intentional, Tantrums, Active, Control, and Transfer (to outside world)
      5 words for Family Sprouts: Interaction, Sharing, Joyful, Family support, and Consistent songs

SP3 Plan: Have music playing in the background and have instruments out for exploration.
      Gathering: “Sit down with me” with a strong rhythm. With this age, we can do different body parts to the rhythm (clapping hands, stomp feet) Bonding: “Brand New Friend” – this is the first song given in the videos that specifically asked for bonding with a peer. I love it and cannot wait to use it in my schools too. Movement: “Will you come” – marching, spinning, running, jumping, dancing… Instruments: “You Play a Little” to work on sharing with adults and/or peers Songs about Me: “Hand, hand, finger, thumb” book to practice body parts while playing instruments Cool Down: Sometimes I use the ocean drum as a novel sound and to practice sharing. I either go to each child or they can all come to the center and touch the ocean drum and a way to wind down. Goodbye: “Goodbye Everyone”- A song I use that allows for the MT and parent to say goodbye to the child by name. It also is very simple and repetitive so the parents can easily remember.

Family Sprouts Plan: Have music playing in the background and have instruments out for exploration. Gathering: “Gather Around” – but I would not get faster at the end if there were very young ones in the group. Bonding: “Swimming Together” – This allows the older ones to move from the caregivers lap so younger ones can be held. Movement: “The leaves are falling” would be perfect to structure for different ages. Not every child could throw the scarf, but they can hold on or have the parent move it for them. Also, could be a great cool down activity. Instruments: “Music is the Way” – Some children can use the mallets and the younger ones can watch and listen. Or they can even be given an easier instrument while the older ones have more stimulation. This would also be a great cool down song. Songs about Me: “Ding Dong” is a song by Brady Rymer that goes through each body part in a dance. Sometimes I use the recorded song or sing it on my own to customize it to the group. Goodbye: “It’s time to Say Goodbye”

Kate Potrykus

Participant

SM3 Words: Push and Pull, Active, Intentional , Creative, and Learning and Growing.

Due to not having a ton of experience using music with these age groups, I’m going to create a plan using the songs talked about in the videos.
      SM3 Plans: Start with Hello Everybody. Encourage clapping, and patting, and bring everyone together. Next, for a bonding song, use My Brand New Friend. At this stage we are encouraging exploration and independence, so help the child widen their social circle. The therapist should play with the child, and encourage play with other children. Repeat the song as many times as necessary for the children to have a chance to open up to other people in the group. That All Makes Up Me brings it back to the individual, identifying body parts and the self. For instrument songs, children can start to work on turn taking, sharing, and reciprocal playing in You Play a Little. This, again, goes along with making connections with other people. Will You Come lends itself well to more structured movement. Children can stand up if they are ready to march and move, they can beat on a drum, skip, dance, jump – it works for diverse movements. Finally, end with a familiar goodbye song and perhaps Thank You Very Much to reinforce the concept of connecting with others.

Family Sprouts Words: Diverse, Cooperation, Engaging, Inclusive, and Individuality.

FS Plan: Start off with just an instrumental of the Hello song and allow the group to explore the space, the instruments, and perhaps even their own voices. Work on self identification and identification of others (for the older kids) with All of This Is Me. Tempos can be varied throughout the song for the older kids while the familiarity and repetition will be good for the younger kids. For instrument songs, Dancing in the Middle could be used to promote exploration of both the space and the instruments. A gathering drum can be put in the center which would foster the connectedness aspect of Family Sprouts while not forcing any child to play that particular instrument. Movements and instrument playing can be paired in I Can Move Around. Allow the entire space to be used, encourage parent participation, and vary the movements so that both the little ones and the older ones get something out of it. Finally, a Goodbye song. As suggested in the lessons, instead of a more upbeat goodbye song (which I’m usually inclined to use), it may be in the best interest of the group to bring it down at the end. It brings the group back to a common place and is accessible by both the younger children and the older children in the group.

Elizabeth Carras

Participant

SM3: Personality, Choices, Musical contrasts, Imitation, Autonomy
      FS: Sharing, Cooperation, Scaffolding, Connections, Together

SM3:
      _Hello Song: Call and response structure “Hello everybody it’s good to see you. (x2) My name is _____ it’s good to see you, Hello ____, it’s good to see you.” _Since this age/stage is moving more into autonomy, instead of a lap bounce/bonding song, I might add a finger play song here, such as “The Itsy Bitsy Spider” or “Little Miss Muffet” or “Patty Cake.” Those who need some support can stay by mom, but those who are ready to move away can do that also. _Instruments: Pass out sandblocks, and have them tap them together while singing, “Somebody’s Knocking at my Door.” Repeat and this time rub the surface of the sandblocks together while singing, “Doggies are scratching at my door.” Repeat these two contrasting structures. _Group/cooperative activity: Parachute with “Mr Sun.” Walk in a circle on phrase 1 (“Oh Mr Sun, Sun, Mr Golden Sun”) and shake for phrase 2 (“Please shine down on me”). Repeat walking in a circle for phrase three, and have the group lift up the parachute and hide underneath on phrase 4 (“Hiding behind a tree”). Stay hidden until the word “OUT!” and pop out from underneath the parachute. Repeat the phrases the same ways as in the beginning to end the song. _Movement: “Will You Come?” _Goodbye: A predictable song that they can sing along with; I like to use this one to the tune of Twinkle Little Star: “Now the time for music is done, / I hope that you had lots of fun! / Thank you all for helping out, / That’s what music is all about. / Now the time for music is done, / I hope that you had lots of fun!”

FS:_ Hello Song: “Come Sit with Me and We Will Sing” followed by “Good morning” or “Hello to You!” _Lap Bounce / Bonding song: I’m actually not sure about this one: I’ve seen parent/child pairs sit facing one another holding hands and push/pull to rock forwards and backwards during Row Row Row your boat. The kids and parents both love it, and parents are careful not to pull too hard or too fast. I am wondering whether this could be an activity to do in sibling pairs? Or might the older sibs get too rough? _Instruments: Boomwhackers! “I Can Play” model different ways of playing individually, tapping it on different body parts, the floor, etc, and end with finding a partner to tap gently together. _Movement: “Just Like Me” and “The Sneaker Song” where smaller children can sit and tap their feet while older children can march, skip, jump, tiptoe etc as the lyrics cue. _Cool Down: “Music Is the Way.” _Goodbye: Now the Time for Music is Done.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies® 3…Active, energy, emotions, independent, accepting, personality
      Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies® 3 session…Gathering/Greeting: “Gather Round” I like how inviting this song is as well and strong and rhythmic to give a strong, predictable nature to the start of the group that will put them at ease. Bonding: “My Brand New Friend” provides an easy way and transition for the children to begin interacting more with other children and I love how a prop is integrated to make it even more inviting. Songs About Me: “Where is the Music?” Again, this song provides a strong rhythm to support a strong sense of self and confidence within the song. Instrument songs: “I Can Play With You” This song provides for an interchange between you and me as well as learning the meaning of these words. Incorporating this with instrument play is a very concrete way to assist a child in understanding this concept and is playful in nature so will appeal to this age. Movement Songs: “Will You Come?” Invite the children to move along and give ideas about moving. Goodbye: “Music Time is Over” This song provides a great transition into the next activity of the day to prepare the children for what comes next.
      Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts…joyful, engaged, bonding, spectrum of ages, range of responses
      Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in Family Sprouts sessions…Gathering/Greeting: Start with Hey Everybody to engage all the different ages and levels to engage. Bonding: invite everyone to get into their pretend car for “Wiggly Jiggly Car” as it appeals to all ages. Younger ones can ride on a lap while older children can sit on their own or even stand up and bounce along. Songs About Me: “Watch Me Go” is a playful song that will engage many ages of students, engage them more by asking for exaggeration. Instrument Songs: “One, One, Play the Drum” can be adjusted in multiple ways to fit the needs of the group. It can encourage simple playing along or be made into a game for older children and taking turns. Movement Songs: “I Can Move Around” allows for many varieties of movement and can also incorporate instrument play. Goodbye: “Thank You Very Much” would be a great song to end a Family Sprouts class and engage all of the children together as appropriate.

Christina Bass

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3: Independence, personality, creative, intentional, and self-control.

Greeting/Gathering: “Sit Down With Me” engage in movements as a group, clap, stomp, ect. Use social, functional language.
      Bonding: “Swimming Together” use swaying and patting on legs with aspects of starting and stopping anticipation, use jumping, encourage bonding with other children in the group.
      Songs about me: “That All Makes Up Me” encourage parents to model as well as let children independently identify.
      Instruments: “You Play A Little” sharing and reciprocal play, allow the child to start. Encourage using two hands to play.
      Movement: “The Leaves are Falling” use fall colored scarves to help facilitate moving within the different planes.
      Goodbye: Sing a goodbye song that will stay consistent throughout the sessions and different levels.

Family Sprouts: Support, helping, cooperation, joy, and sharing.

Gathering/greeting: “I’m Glad You’re Here Today” engage everyone in the group to participate.
      Bonding: “Wiggly Jiggly Car” include surprises, sways, and encourage physical bonding with parents and children as well as older sibs supporting younger.
      Songs About Me: “All of This is Me” older sibs can help younger sibs, move faster for older kids to show their skills.
      Instruments: “You and Me Makes… We” every child can explore instrument playing at their level.
      Movement: “I Can Move Around” supports older kids to move around independently and parents can support the younger kids. Include instrument playing.
      Goodbye: “Music Time is Over” Stay consistent with the song to support younger children, alow changes in lyrics and movements to support older kids.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content