Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2014 Week 8 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3. Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 3 session and Family Sprouts sessions.

Caroline Gillott

Participant

5 Words for SM3–
      Intentional,
      Active,
      Creative,
      Strong,
      Push and pull

SM3 Plan:
      • Gathering Greeting—“sit down with me” this song will gather all the kids together in one place whether they are moving around the room or already in their parent’s lap. The strong beat with gain their attention for receptive participation and the functional use of language will physically prepare them to begin
      • Bonding songs—Brand New Friend—This song will bring social awareness to the child and provides the opportunity to do something with someone else other than the parent. The use of a scarf or other prop (maybe a parachute to do it as a group first) can be used as a visual connection. MT will be the first partner of the child and then allow the child to move on to others in the room as they feel comfortable.
      • Songs About Me—Where is the Music- this song will eventually allow the parents to step back and allow the child to have control and independence when exclaiming the lyrics of this chant.
      • Instrument Songs—both of the songs presented really spoke to me. In SM3 the children are ready to use 2 handed instruments such as drum w/ mallet, finger cymbals, rhythm sticks
      • You Play a Little—this song will help the child understand the use of pronounce (I and You). MT will provide a safe boundary with the instrument by presented it to the kid (MT will sustain a hold on the instrument). Eventually MT will open up the environment hy setting instrument on the floor in a mutual area.
      • Music Is The Way—Usually the parents will sustain the melody on the pitched instrument whlle the child explores
      • Movement Songs- don’t always have to consist of being up and about
      • Leaves Go Down—use scarves as a visual of something falling down. Encourage child to let go of the scarf as it is falling down so that they can watch it.
      • Will You Come?—By at least 3 yrs of age children should be able to march jump and run (no skipping yet). To help child jump apply pressure on shoulders as they are stooping to give them a feeling of compression.
      • Goodbye

5 words For Family Sprouts–
      o Support
      o Individuality
      o Joyful
      o Sharing
      o Helping

Plan for Family Sprouts:
      • Gathering Greeting—Hey Everybody Come and Join Me—with the strong steady rhythm, the child will all gather together to participate in music.
      • Bonding songs—positioning is key for these songs in this group. Have older child close to parent with young child in arms or on lap or parent (?—not really sure—hard to picture)
      • Hold On Tight—this song supports the older child while giving them a chance to sit and hold on tight with/to their younger sibling. It supports the younger child through surprise, simple movement and minimal dynamic changes.
      • Songs About Me
      • All of this is Me—provide an opportunity for every child to feel individual while still sharing meaning. Older children will point out body parts of younger sibling. For the older children—can add a faster version to give them a chance to show what they can do.
      • Instrument Songs
      • I Like This Song—this song is an open invitation for all to participate however they want. It is a safe choice for all levels. Even though each child will be exploring instruments at a different level they are all engaging in music together
      • Movement Songs—the challenge is finding movement that everyone can participate
      • I Can Move Around—Everyone can move to an extent whether it is running, jumping, turning heads, moving hands, etc.
      • Goodbye—bring the energy level down. Can use props such as scarves.

Elyse Suhay

Participant

Family Sprouts:

5 words: cooperation, helping, connections, individuality, sharing

Session Plan: -Gathering: Hello everyone. Remember to point to younger kids with an open hand. -Bonding song: Hold on Tight. Can suggest to parents that the older child can sit next to the parent and the younger child in front of their sibling, then they can help hold on to their younger sibling. -Song about me: Try using a song in a minor key to get everyones’ attention, such as All of Me. Can sing it through fast for big kids. -Instruments: Can do any song, just be mindful not to make too many changes in timbre or volume. Remind parents that they can all participate as they are able. -Movement: Choose activity with movement that is appropriate for younger babies. Try singing goodbye while dancing with scarves.

Sprouting Melodies 3

5 words: active, deliberate, personality, emotions, accepting

Session Plan: -Gathering: Gather Round. Ask children for creative ideas for what they should do next. -Bonding song: My Brand New Friend. Ask caregivers to model finding a new person to share the scarf. Remind caregivers that bonding looks different at this age, and even if they’re in the middle of the circle they’re still bonding with them. -Song About Me: Can introduce books at this age (did you know it was Right to Read Week at my school?). Make sure to model how to handle the book, and point to the words while you read! -Instruments: You Play a Little. The kids are starting to learn to take turns, so introduce them to a short turn-taking song. -Movement: Will You Come? Another way to share creative ideas and follow how others are modeling movement. -Goodbye: hands Ready. Can introduce signs for children who are not ready for speech yet.

Cassandra Mulcahy

Participant

Family Sprouts: Transform, Together, Bond, Explore, Play

Plan:
      Greeting- My hello song ( to maintain consistency in all of my early childhood groups) or ‘Hey everybody”. Help develop a group pulse.

Bonding Songs- Row Row Row- Older children love to row with each other or their siblings and parents. THis can be a fun group bonding experience. Hold on tight- whole family fun & participation. Positioning of older child between parent & younger child.

Songs about me- “All of this is me”- I love the minor key transition here to grab attention.

Instrument Song- ‘lets play some music together’ – gives space for instrument exploration and vocal improvisation based on the moment. Great song for multiple instruments and abilities.

Movement songs- “I can move around” or “oh don’t you wish”- one of my songs about moving around like animals, could be a great cognitive challenge to older children with ‘fill in the blank spaces’. OR “shake my sillies out” for a stopping & starting/surprise song. OR a scarf song ‘wind is blowing’ to sing about children’s movements.

Goodbye- I will still use my goodbye song and alter it based on group energy.

Sprouting Melodies 3: Learn, Grow, Intention, Identity, Feelings,

Greeting: My Hello Song (for consistency) Sit down with me- I like this as an embedded song

Bonding: Swimming Together (I love this for development of lumbar strentgth. I see 2-3 year olds in a pre-school, and initially they have a very difficult time sitting up). My Brand New Friend- Love this for my pre-school group again, great for group development 🙂

Songs about ME: Where is the Music? (I love this for awareness of a steady beat and incorporating more chants in my practice) Head to Toe- I JUST ordered this from amazon! What a fun recommendation.

Instrument songs: “You Play a little”- Turn taking and sharing. ‘Zip, Zip, Zip” – a rhythm stick song about cold weather.

Movement song: “animal boogie’ by barefoot books. Children LOVE identifying animals and replicating the movements. Snow is falling- scarf songs. “Will you come?” Love the melody of the old folk tune, great chance for suspended gross motor work.

Goodbye-I will still use my goodbye song and alter it based on group energy.

-I apologize that I used mostly songs in the videos again. I think that creating plans centering around them will help me to implement and remember them 🙂

Kristina Rio

Participant

Cassandra, don’t be sorry for using the songs in the videos for you plans! They are building blocks for you to take and use and make your own. It is a great place to start, and will give you the tools you need to work off of when creating your own sessions and writing new songs!

Kate St. John

Participant

SM3 5 words: active, deliberate, intentional, emotions, push and pull

Family Sprouts 5 words: busy, helping, sharing, individuality, joyful

Session Plan:
      Instrument Exploration: instruments are around the room to explore during check-in.
      Greeting: “Hello Everybody” and greet each person.
      Bonding: “Hold On Tight”. Parents can sit with legs open and position the older child closest to them, while the youngest is in front so that the older child feels like they are helping.
      Songs About Me: “All of This is Me”. Parents can point to the youngest child’s body parts while the older child can do it independently.
      Instrument Songs: “I Like This Song”. I love the rhythm of this song and it provides a great structure for any improv instrument play and dance. Two-handed instruments can be used in SM3 and Family Sprouts.
      Movement Songs: “Will You Come”. Older children can hold instruments and play while they move.
      Good-bye: “Good-bye” and transition out the door with “Thank You Very Much”.

Dany Orozco

Participant

SM3: Intentional, active, push and pull, creative, emotions

SM3 plan: Gathering – “Estamos aqui” to welcome everybody and get warmed up to music. Bonding song – “El barco chiquito” while doing the rocking side to side. Instrument songs – “Los elefantes” sharing the song in the middle of the room. Everyone can take turns playing it and go back to their parents. Leave mallets around the room and model to give the children the opportunity to choose if they want to use a mallet or their hands to play the drum. Movement songs – “La bamba” with scarves to start to bring the energy level down by also bringing down the energy of the song and the movement with the scarves. Goodbye – “Hasta manana” to keep consistency of the goodbye songs that are used in groups.

Family sprouts: Connections, sharing, fun, individuality, connections.

Family sprouts plan: Gathering – “Estamos aqui” to start the group and bring everyone into the music. Bonding songs – “Tu y yo” to show their space and their parent’s space, and the older kids can also help the younger ones in this song. Instrument songs – “El tambor” sharing the drum with their peers, the older kids can find a younger kid who will be assisted by their parents. Movement songs – “Simon dice” while asking the older kids to do a movement for the group to follow. Goodbye – “Hasta manana” to bring the energy back and end the group.

Katie Maurer

Participant

SM3 Words: social/connecting, music making, active, deliberate, variety

Family Sprouts Words: bonding, joyful, complex (keeping it all going and including everyone), cooperative, busy

SM3 Plan: Gathering Song: “Sit Down With Me;” Bonding Song “My Brand New Friend” and “Swimming Together;” Songs About Me: “Where is the Music;” Instrument Song: “Music is the Way” and “You Play a Little.” Movement Song: “The Leaves Go Down” or “Jumping Up and Jumping Down;” Cool Down: book “From Head to Toe;” Goodbye Song: simple goodbye song and “Thank You Very Much.”

Family Sprouts Plan: Gathering Song: “Come and Join the Circle;” Bonding Song: “Hold on Tight” and “Wiggly Jiggle Car;” Songs About Me: “Can You See Me;” Instrument Song: “I Like This Song” and “Music is the Way;” Movement Song: “I Can Move Around;” Cool Down: scarf or book; Goodbye: simple goodbye song and “Thank You Very Much.”

Nancy Bair

Participant

Sprouting Melodies 3: Fun, Energetic, Active, Explore, Play
      Family Sprouts: Busy, Bonding Connections, Cooperation, Sharing, FUN!

Create a Plan
      1-Gathering: Welcome/Hello song- pick 1-2 songs to sing consistently. I love the “Hey Hey, come and play” song!!! Add a hand wave or some simple motion that the kids can participate in (Family Sprouts: Have siblings wave to each other).
      2-Bonding Songs: Create an environment with the song selections to provide the children and their parents the opportunity to “let go” and “reconnect” (Family Sprouts: If possible, have siblings connect or Mom and siblings connect). Use scarve songs to help “connect” kids/parent

3-Songs About Me–A fun song to explore similarities between each of the children and their parents. Same for Family Sprouts

4-Instrument Songs—Provide rhythmic music to give a strong beat pattern and model how to play instruments or use clapping, foot stomping, etc. Watch for over stimulation, bring tempo down if too much or too crazy. I love the sit with me and shake song with the “stop!” to provide them the opportunity to listen to the musical cues and keep them “on-task” and not over-whelmed. Same for Family Sprouts

5-Movement Songs-Fun songs where kids can roam around the room. I love the marching song presented in the video with the drum. Songs where caregivers and children can move together. Family Sprouts: Cater songs to include older kids who can move a lot more and younger kids who don’t move as much. Push and Pull songs.

6-Goodbye-Consistent 1-2 songs. 1st song would be a transition song from higher energy movement songs and 2nd would be a slower paced song where we would wave good bye to each person there, and maybe wave goodbye to the instruments, and the guitar, and whatever else we can think of…. Same for Family Sprouts

Sarah jane Mason

Participant

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.<br /><br />
      Deliberate, creative independence, intentional, emotional, push and pull</p><br />
      <p>Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts.<br /><br />
      Connections, supporting, helping, working together, sharing</p><br />
      <p><br>Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Family Sprouts session:<br /><br />
      <br>Gathering/Greeting: Sit Down with Me with knee patting, but softer dynamic, and slower tempo.<br /><br />
      <br>Bonding: Wiggly jiggly Car because it seems like a favorite that works for SM1, but also is still fun for SM3.<br /><br />
      <br>Songs about me: All of This is Me. It provides an opportunity for parents and toddlers to point out body parts for little littles. It also has the quick part at the end to encourage SM3’s rhythmically, but still quieter for littles.<br /><br />
      <br>Instrument: I like this song is a great selection. It uses simple language but has cool color chords.<br /><br />
      <br>Movement: I Can Move Around, acapella but more percussive. Now that we’ve moved into the middle of the class it seems more appropriate to add in a stronger beat here. Also can be a continuation of instrument exploration.<br /><br />
      <br>Goodbye: I like the idea of keepign the goodbye song the same for consistency, but also really liked It’s Time to Say Goodbye. With this minor key and calming finish you please the SM2-3’s with their independent use of scarves and the SM1’s by the parent using the scarf for their infants. </p><br />
      <p><br>Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 3 class:<br /><br />
      <br>Gathering/Greeting: I have a song I do called “It’s Music Time”. I didn’t write it, but it fits well with this age group. “It’s music time and it’s time to say hello. It’s music time and it’s time to say hello. Say hello, say hello, say hello.” And then “Johnny’s here and it’s time to say hello. Rachel’s here and it’s time to say hello. Say hello say hello say hello.” I like the individual attention it brings to each child and and I encourage the other kids to wave or greet the child we are singing about.<br /><br />
      <br>Bonding: As we move into more sharing and reciprocal communication I like “My Brand New Friend” for SM3’s. Holding the scarf together with parents helping by modeling.<br /><br />
      Songs about Me: Where is the Music? A great way to bring out the toddler’s voices at the end and let them know it’s ok to use a bigger voice in class sometimes.<br /><br />
      <br>Instrument: I picked up a wonderful song from my professor Julie Berghoffer at CSUN. “What are we doing? What are we doing: What are we doing today? We’re taking turns on the tambourine, taking turns today. Julie can play, Sarah can play, and Joseph can plaaaaaaaay. We’re taking turns on the tambourine. 1-2-3.” It allows for taking turns with an individual session or a group, but also encouraging waiting your turn.<br /><br />
      <br>Movement: Scarves are a great way to get the kids moving! The Leaves are Down is great, and I also have a few other scarf songs I use depending on the season.<br /><br />
      <br>Goodbye: Again I like the consistency of using the same goodbye song, whatever it is, through the progression of classes SM1-SM3.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content