Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2014 Week 8 Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Sprouting Melodies 3. Use 5 words to describe the music experiences in Family Sprouts. Create a plan for songs and music experiences to use in a Sprouting Melodies 3 session and Family Sprouts sessions.

Laura Myers

Participant

SM3 5 words- Free, independent, social, purposeful and active
      Family Sprouts 5 words- Active, cooperative, engaging, Helpful, supportive

SM3 Session:
      I would begin by making sure the room was set for the group. Instruments out on the floor and music playing while the participants are coming in and getting settled.
      I would move to a gathering song (Sit Down with Me) to get everyone ready to make music! Next I would use Brand New Friend for a bonding song, to encourage the children to interact with me as the teacher and then branch out to their parent and/ or classmate! The Song about Me would be My eyes are on my face, for body identification. then the instrument song of You play a Little. I feel it goes along with brand new friend in helping to encourage the children to play together. Next will be the movement song of Will You Come, and the the Good Bye song Time to Go.

Family Sprouts Session:
      As always the room would be set and ready for group, with music playing while everyone enters and gets ready to make music! I would begin with the gathering song of I’m Glad You’re Here Today, mvoing to the Bonding Song of Row it Faster. I think with mixed ages this would be a fun song to do. The Song About Me would be Can You See Me, to the Instrument Song of I Like This Song. (SIDENOTE: Thanks for the advice of not handing the kids a mallet!) The Movement Song would be Will you come, followed by the Goodbye song: It’s time to Say Goodbye!

I look forward to learning more of these songs as I further my involvement with SM. Its going to be a fun challenge to start working with a new population!

Ericha Rupp

Participant

5 words for SM3: accepting, creative, strong, emotional, and active.
      5 words for FS: supportive, individuality, connection, peaceful, and sharing.

Plan for songs and activities for both SM3 and FS would be the same general prep for the other sprouting melody groups. Set up the room in a way to best support the group and their needs. Provide structure within the songs and activities to enhance the 5 words as described above. For the FS class I definitely would provide more variety to the songs, activities, and instruments in order to provide every interested party the opportunity to participate. Where as SM3 I feel a little more structure in a way where I can focus on a few instruments/songs/activities.

Side note: I love the “I like this song” instrument song. Liz, do you have piano accompaniment written out in your songbook?

Kristina Rio

Participant

Hi Ericha. Beth’s book does have the piano accompaniment written out in it. It is a really fun song!

Shonda Malik

Participant

Five words SM3; deliberate, emotional, active, strong, intentional
      Five words SM Family; sharing, cooperative, joyful, varied, together

Sprouting Melody 3 plan; Gathering song=”Oh Gather Round”. Bonding=”Swimming Together”. Songs About Me=’Music in Me’ chant. Instrument song=”Music is the Way”. Movement=”The leaves are falling”. Goodbye=”Time to Go”. Approach notes; The kids are able to contribute ideas so I would offer opportunities for them to think of a movement or a way to play their instrument on multiple verses of the songs.

Sprouting Melody Family plan; Gathering song=”Sit Down with Me”; Bonding=”Hold on Tight”; Songs About Me=”All of this is me”; Instrument Song; “I like this song”; Movement=”I can move around”; Goodbye=”Its time to say goodbye” Approach notes; The older kids will enjoy opportunities to help the younger kids and they will enjoy showcasing their skills, such as going fast. The music will need to be sensitive to the needs of the youngest participants so as not to startle them.

Anonymous

Inactive

Remember, when creating a plan, to include a song for each part of the session structure. For example, Hello Song: “Good Morning” / Lapride/Bonding: Wiggly Jiggly Car. The music you choose can be from Beth’s songbook, the videos you have been watching, something you have written yourself, and/or other music you have used in your work. As Kristina mentioned in Week 7 this planning is a great template to help you get started with, in your work now and if you become a Sprouting Melodies Provider.

Lysa Wright

Participant

SM3: creative, active, personality, accepting, strong.
      Family Sprouts: helping, cooperation, support, connections, sharing.

SM3 session plan: hello/gathering- Sit Down With Me. Bonding song- My Brand New Friend with scarves to share with peers. Songs about me- Where is the Music. Instrument song- You Play A Little with drums to take turns playing with parent/caregiver. Movement song- Will You Come marching, jumping, spinning to drum beat. Goodbye song.

Family Sprouts session plan: Hello- Come And Join the Circle. Bonding Song- Hold on Tight, encourage parent to have older sibling closer to the parent’s body and younger sibling in front of older, so the older one can help provide support. Songs about me- All of this is Me. Instrument Songs- I Like This Song. Movement song- I Can Move Around. Goodbye Song.

Ian Crawford

Participant

Somehow this post slipped through the cracks last week! I think I wrote it and then closed the browser before clicking ‘submit.’ Sorry it’s so late!

SM3 5 words: Playful, focused, empowering, accepting, active

FM 5 words: Adaptable, playful, engaging, spontaneous, fun!

SM3 session: Set up the room with instruments ready to be played. Depending on the atmosphere, maybe using embedded music, following by the usual sequence of gathering song, bonding song, songs about me, instrument song, and movement song, incorporating opportunities for individual responses and ideas during each song. I might use a large gathering drum to share for the instrument song and ask for ideas for how to play the drum. The movement song would incorporate marching while playing instruments (or just marching). The goodbye would use functional social language and be interactive between peers to support social development.

Family sprouts would be very similar, with even more room for adaptation. I would provide more opportunities for older children to be leaders and have responsibilities such as handing out instruments or leading movements.

BJ Waelz

Participant

The music in SM2 again is engaging, fun, interactive, interesting and age appropriate. It was easy to see this music was for an older crowd of children with growing independence. It allows opportunities for surprise, response, interaction and musical growth. I liked the originality of the music, yet melodies were simple enough for families to learn and reproduce at home.

My Session Plan might look like this:
      Welcome Song
      Lap Song
      Instrument / movement song
      Dance or out of seat type song (with scarves etc)
      Listening Song
      Then I would determine the direction needed to work towards the end of the session.
      Closing Song

Adrienne Salmon

Participant

5 Words to describe the music experiences in SM3: Active, Deliberate, Independence, Accepting, Intentional
      5 Words to describe Family Sprouts experiences: Cooperative, Personal Growth, Supportive, Spontaneous, Enjoyable

Session Plan for SM3 may be: I would make sure that the instruments are spread strategically around the group for easy use and that aligns best with the group’s abilities and needs Gathering song (Sit Down With Me), A Hello Song, Instrumental songs such as Me Makes We and/or You Play A Little, followed by some guided improvisation, Movement activities which may include a pre-recorded song, and/or Will You Come, followed by Songs About Me using All of This Makes Me and Where Is The Music, and then draw it to a close with a Goodbye Song. My FM3 session plan would look very similar, with adding in a section of Bonding songs (such as Hold On Tight), and be more cooperative between kiddo and parent/family member

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content