What are the needs of the families and communities that you work with?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – Sept 2021 Week 5 What are the needs of the families and communities that you work with?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What are the needs of the families that you work with?  What are the needs of your community?  How can music meet the unique needs of your families and community?  Share on the forum.

Be sure to come back and respond to others as well.

Rachel Sedmak

Participant

In-home caregivers may need opportunities for their children to be with other kids so they can learn how to interact appropriately with other children. Music is an enjoyable and structured experience that children can have fun while learning how to take turns and respect others. Music therapy also provides a way for parents to meet and build relationships with other parents. I think parents in general in my community want their kids to succeed in school and life. Participating in music therapy in early childhood can help children develop skills that will increase their chances of being successful in school.

Erika Svolos

This question is a wonderful way to look at your community and see how your unique services can be utilized to fill their needs. Don’t forget to save your post and come back to read your fellow participants responses.

Mikelia Wallace

Participant

The families that I work with are mostly IDD pre-teens and teens, most with an ASD diagnosis. A lot of these parents are incredibly overwhelmed with how many therapies they see on any given day, along with the regular duties of daily activities, working and raising other siblings. The needs of the kids themselves are usually expressive and receptive communication skills.

In my community, there is not a lot of knowledge regarding ASD and what services are available to families other than ABA therapy, I think there is a large need, there is also not a ton of services aimed at parent and child connection, like “Mommy (Daddy or Caregiver) and Me,” most services here are “drop your kid off and go.”

Music can address the first concern with families by helping encourage expressive communication through creative music making, while addressing receptive communication through songs with strict structure and built in prompts as discussed in the modules. The second issue can be addressed through the creation of a early learning music center as discussed in the module, and advocating for more music within our community.

Favor Chujor

Participant

I think, just because of the world we live in now and also because of COVID, the families that I interact with are in need of togetherness and certainty. There are so many aspects of life that are unpredictable, but music provides a safe space and predictability for families. In this safe space, young children can learn how to interact appropriately with each other and parents can find a support system within each other.

Erika Svolos

Thank you Favor for these important points about the era we are living in with COVID.

Amy Berggren

Participant

Most of the clients I work with are either children and teens with developmental disabilities as well as adults in an addiction recovery program and their children. For the families in the addiction recovery programs, the parents often need help finding meaningful ways to engage with their children while also maintaining their dedication to their recovery program. Music has the ability to give them opportunities to connect with their kids as well as develop the tools to continue with the lifestyle changes they have made.

Sophia Paravalos

Participant

The needs of many of the families currently I’ve noticed is a need for connection and community. Covid has brought a lot of isolation and has not allowed young kids to develop alongside peers, something very crucial to their development! I think another need is for drop-off programs. Caregivers have often been home 24/7 with their young kids trying to work and take care of them during times of lockdown. The ability to give parents a break or a different setting other than their home to experience time with their child is so important.

Erik Hylan

Participant

I resonate with the idea of “togetherness” and “Community” during these uncertain times. The families and communities that I work with are keeping up with the everchanging new “Normal”. So providing them with an avenue to come together and allow everyone to express themselves in a creative way is vital. Giving space for children to play and explore at their development alongside the people in their lives is something that that is needed to help support social/emotional skills. I have one client in particular that was born with developmental delays and spent most of her first year in the hospital and her entire life has been during COVID. So the importance of normal social exposure is of high importance for this family.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content