What are the needs of the families you work with?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2016 Week 5 What are the needs of the families you work with?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What are the needs of the families you work with? What are the needs of your community? Share with the board how your families and communities might be unique.

Noelle Larson

Participant

I just had my last pre-baby day of work last week so I’m currently in a season without specific clients or families; however, I think it’s very likely that I will return to that setting to offer early childhood music programming in the future and so I’ll share my thoughts about this general grouping of children and families now. The center that I worked for was a preschool for children ages 2-5 years, many of whom go on to complete elementary school at the connected K-6th grade private school. Many parents both worked outside the home at least a few days a week, so at least a third of the children were regularly picked up by a nanny, grandparent, or other caregiver, and several stayed for extended days. This tells me that this particular community would probably really value Saturday music programming, so that one or both parents would be able to attend. I also noticed that many mothers who brought one child in to preschool also had an infant that they continued to provide care for during the day; this tells me that they find great social and academic value in the education they were seeking for their older child, beyond just finding childcare for part of the day. I believe that these families would be quick to see the value in a music therapy-based early childhood music program and would probably share the resource with friends in their other circles. I’m excited for the possibility of pioneering a program in this community, perhaps over the summer when families are seeking new opportunities to foster their child’s growth and development.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

I echo Noelle that Saturday and early evening groups are a need for the community I serve. However, because of the large number of dance classes that occur during those hours, room space is limited at my agency. I do what I can and meet a large number of families during the day-time hours, but even more children could be served if I was able to broaden the days/times that groups are offered. We are looking at an expansion in the relatively near future. I am hoping at that time we will be able to serve a larger number of families.

Another need of my community are groups that are able to include siblings. I know it is emphasized that children should be placed in developmentally appropriate age-groupings. I absolutely understand the purpose in doing so and used to keep all ages separated. There is a high number of Catholic mothers in my community and attending multiple music groups is just not possible for these moms. I have needed to find ways of meeting the developmental needs of all children in attendance even when there is a range of ages in a group. I offer age specific groups as well, but based on the need of a large amount of moms and requests by those families to include siblings (that are often close in age), I include two groups where children ranging in age are in one class. I have had success in making that work, though it was challenging to navigate at first.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

I wanted to add a bit more to my response since I am still thinking about the needs of my community. Early childhood programming in general is a HUGE need, which is why I began offering classes. I took a music class with my own daughter years ago and was disappointed, because it wasn’t what I needed to bond with her and have a memorable experience. So, I wanted to provide that opportunity to those around me. When I meet a new family in one if my classes, they almost always say that they were excited to find an early childhood music class, because there are not many offerings in my community. The agency that I work for has done a wonderful job building more of an early childhood emphasis and most recently added age-appropriate infant and toddler art classes.

Kristina Rowles

Participant

I find that most of my families are wanting support and education. They are looking to know that everything is okay. Most of my work with early childhood is on an individual basis or in a preschool classroom. I see the community needing opportunities for families to come together for a group. I see the need for children to make music with a parent or caregiver. I provide music therapy services over a very wide area. I see each community possibility needing something a little different. It’s hard working for a private practice that covers a large portion of the state (CT) and getting to know all of the communities that you work in. Sometimes I only see one family in a town, but I know they could benefit from a Sprouting Melodies class and I am sure they are not alone. Other times I go to a large amount of preschool classes in a town and I get a better understanding of the community. I look forward to being able to use these skills to bring families together because most of my experience now is just with the children. I think the summer is a great time for these classes as sometimes parents are looking for things to do with their children while school is not in session.

Kristen McSorley

Participant

The other day, I expressed that I was grateful everyone braved the weather for group. One mom replied by saying this is the only time she leaves the house with her child and she would never miss it! I think parents are looking for ways to bond with their children through various mediums. Additionally, I’ve gathered that many parents are excited to meet other parents with same-aged children. Many are first-time parents and looking for some peer support and companionship in the parenting process. Early childhood groups don’t only help parents bond with their children, but also provide a support network in the community!

I also wanted to comment and say I loved the part of the video where Meredith implied that we can help music become a greater part of the community. By helping parents to generalize music making and bring it home with them, that can have a larger community impact. We are helping to build musical communities. 🙂

Anonymous

Inactive

I really enjoyed reading how each of you is seeing what your community needs and how you can better service them. Ann Marie Sprouting Melodies does have ages specific classes, but we also have a mixed age class for families with siblings called Family Sprouts. This will be covered in the training in Week 8.

Ann Marie Raddell

Participant

Thanks for sharing that, Erika! Glad to know that I am not off-base in offering a class for families with multiple children!

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

Levine is a community music school, and I think the music therapy program itself is a response to community needs. The school has been around for 40 years and can take a kid from Twinkle to collegiate level on any instrument, but it’s been important to the organisation to emphasize “community” as well as “school.” With this perspective, the early childhood offerings expanded, as did adult education and performance, and the MT program was born. It is an ongoing thought what the needs of the community are. My supervisor is frequently exploring new avenues for the music therapy program. One new possible partnership to explore is the integrative preschool just two blocks from one of our campuses. I started a small group just 2 weeks ago, and aside from the parent who got the ball rolling, no parent was aware of music therapy. I think it is a community need to inform and offer music therapy to these kids. Together with my supervisor, we plan to do a presentation at the preschool, and ideally begin groups within the school.

Sarah Szymanowski

Participant

A quick well wish to Noelle and congrats to making it to your last pre-baby work day 🙂 When are you due?

Tiffany Lee

Participant

Many of the families I work with are in desperate need of resources and support, especially in early childhood and kids with special needs. Since I live in a rural area, our resources are very limited and there is very little offered for children under 5 years old. With limited resources, everything is booked very quickly and has long waiting lists. Even daycares in our area are constantly full. There was home schooling co-op that we were interested, only to find that the waiting list was 4 years long, meaning, you had to sign your child up when they were born in order for them to join in kindergarten! I’ve mentioned it before, but even with many young families in the community, you have to drive over an hour away to have access for many programs. Young moms and dads feel isolated in this setting. The only consistent bonding program I know of in our community is a mommy and me gymnastics class (which I enrolled my daughter in). Some parents I have talked to enrolled simply for the bonding experience with no interest in gymnastics, however, there are no other bonding classes offered within 50 miles.
      I have also found many of the professionals I work a long side are hungry for more education and team support/ communication. I have had conversations with teachers and coaches who feel lost and are looking for ways to better include and educate their kiddos with special needs. The special education teachers I work with are amazing, but often overloaded because of faculty cut-backs. My sister is one of the only child psychiatrists in the state and said she spends a lot of the time calling schools, doctors, counselors, and families in rural areas who are in desperate need of education and suffering from lack of resources (special therapies, family support groups, proper diagnosis/ consultation…etc). This is something very dear to my heart and what attracts me to sprouting melodies. My community and parents desperately need the support and education!

Katy Hutchings

Participant

At my work, the children have music multiple times a day but the parents aren’t present. Parents are often asking me about what songs we are doing or certain lyrics that their children come home singing. Through their questions, I can tell how much they wish they could be present in these music classes! We’ve started to create videos to show parents our favorite songs we use every month so that they can bring the music home with them. But I would really love to offer family classes outside of the school day as an additional way to create community and to help parents connect with their children. I find that so many parents are constantly anxious about their children, and I would love to be able to make music with them and to be able to show and explain to them how amazing their children are!

In my community outside of work, I want to be able to offer an affordable music experience that is open to everyone. A lot of young parents that I know don’t feel like they have the time or money to sign up for such a class, but I believe that once a program started and using the networks that I already have in my community, I could quickly create a viable program in my area. So many people in my community are so intrigued and interested in my work as a music therapist that with a little self-promotion and education (and affordable prices) I feel that a Sprouting Melodies program would quickly become popular.

Tracy Wanamaker

Participant

I live in a small rural community and like Tiffany – we basically need everything!! There are very few activities for preschoolers and most of those are provided by the local university so they only happen when the college is in session. This means that groups probably happen only 20 – 25 weeks per year. They also are only offered during the school day, and many parents would like evening and Saturday morning classes. Classes also need to be offered in several locations in the surrounding area. The towns are all spread out, so many parents find themselves traveling 20 – 30 miles for an activity, which is never easy with a toddler!

I also agree with Katy that affordable options are also important. We are one of the poorest counties in NY State, so parents really need to know that their money and time will be well spent. One of the first questions I always get from many parents that participate in my other programs is if there are scholarships available. Money is certainly on their minds, so it’s important to think about how to address this.

The last thing my parents and families need is knowledge. Again – there aren’t many support groups or activities for children and parents of this age group in the area, so many parents don’t know if what their children is doing is typical. While we have lots of very educated parents in our area (due to 4 universities is a 15 mile radius!), as Meredith said – this doesn’t mean that they know much about child development. Many of these parents also don’t have much support, because they move to the area for an academic position and have no family and few friends with small children, so support groups become critical for them. A class like Sprouting Melodies may be just what they need to fill this need!

Anonymous

Inactive

I love that so many of you are seeing how you feel a void and bring meaningful services to your community.

Kelsy Gati

Participant

I find that the families, particularly parents, need support, understanding and a feeling of community. In early childhood groups parents are often looking to use that music experience as a way to connect with their children. I think there is also great enjoyment in seeing the socialization opportunities that music groups present. The parent gets an opportunity to see their child interact with other children, the parent and their child have opportunities to connect on a deeper level with one another, parents are able to connect with other parents.

I also think there is a certain level of leading by example that is needed. There are techniques and skills that music therapist and other therapeutic disciplines are trained to use. These techniques cannot be copied by a parent but they can certainly learn new ways to interact with their child and learn new tools that help to engage their child! That is something I run into often! Parents are looking for suggestions for what they can do with their kids with music once the session has ended. That engagement and active participation, that level of connection and presence is so craved by some of the parents that I work with that they are always looking for tips to maintain those qualities.

Laetitia Brundage

Participant

I have a great EI group that I work with on Saturday mornings. One of the most apparent needs that I have observed in my families is to have the opportunity to feel comfortable and relaxed with their child or children. I still remember the look of relief that overcame their faces when I said that our group was a safe place where their kids could just be themselves and engage in the music in ways that are unique to them as individuals. In a way, it almost feels like they are looking for permission to just enjoy engaging in music with their child. As the weeks progressed, and the kids became acclimated to the routine of the session, they naturally engaged more with the group. Yes, they are looking to us for education and expertise on how to help their children, but many times we can remind them that relaxing and bonding with their child is as equally important and valid as working on other goals.

Belinda Adams

Participant

Wow… what a big question… the needs of the families. First of all, I want to say that I don’t have a ton of experience working with young children and families in my current music therapist role (I work at a school). However, to provide an avenue for my own child and others I have taken on teaching a ‘music class’ at a local Y.

I believe that one of the largest needs in my families and in my community is just a knowledge of MUSIC THERAPY in general!!!! I have worked in my current job for 5 years and I have spent every waking hour advocating for music therapy, engaging in ‘action research’ surrounding it, networking with local agencies all to the response of ‘we don’t have the money for this.’ I’m rather disappointed in many of my surrounding community members for this response but I have decided that this is my GOAL for myself–getting the word out.

As far as families of young children I found that all of the music classes were not music therapy based. They were essentially a ‘CD that could be played in the car’ for the large price of $250. Many of the community members who are working at local colleges and universities can afford this and are willing to pay for it clearly but I was not able to do this and as a new mom I wanted friends! I wanted support… I wanted to know that my baby was normal — and lets not forget, I wanted to know my own confusion was ok. This set me on course to find a way to provide something for families — something affordable. I have used a variety of locations and I’ve met a variety of people. Unfortunately then I didn’t have all the thorough information that this course has provided. I think that families needed the information about early childhood development to know that their child was interacting and I needed this information to remind me how important the family interaction is and how much repetition is really needed.

Overall…. my community and families just need to know what music therapy is… and I want to provide it. IF only there was more time in the day!

Belinda Adams

Participant

Tracy – I’m so glad you have a picture here…. It made me realize that I was a participant at a presentation you did in the Ithaca area earlier this year. 🙂

Kristina Rio

Participant

I love how many of you talked about the importance of the different relationships that form in these community groups. Kristen, you talked about how parents are seeking peer relationships with other parents and I see that a lot in my Sprouting Melodies classes. I also have a lot of nannies that talk to each other about places to go to play and explore with the little ones in their care. For this reason, I always make name tags each week for the kids and for the adults. It creates a sense of community where everyone knows each other’s name instead of just the kids. It’s easier for a parent to approach another parent if they know their name first! It’s also great for early literacy skills and learning that letters form words and words have meaning such as your name!

Noelle Larson

Participant

Thank you, Sarah! I’m due March 11th and feeling very excited. I’ll change my picture if the little lady decides to come while we’re still in session. 🙂

Tiffany, what an awesome opportunity you have to make a difference and meet social and emotional needs in your community! I just had an image flash in my mind of a sign reading “Pioneers Wanted,” like for the Old West. It sounds like beginning programs in your area could be extremely meaningful as well as have some learning opportunities built in.

I really love what everyone is saying about how interested and involved their parents are, from asking about the music used during the day to really seeking new ways to bond with their children. I have worked in settings in which places like nursing stations or lunch tables become avenues for complaining about client families, and it breaks my heart to see it. There are surely many challenges that come with working alongside families and some people are certainly very challenging to work with, so it’s really refreshing to hear you all “bragging” on the positive ways your families want to be involved in their child’s development! Yay team Music Therapy!

Stephanie Harris

Participant

We aren’t currently providing early childhood music therapy at our facility, but have had the request many times because our owner is a clinical psychologist that does evaluations for the state early intervention program. Many times the children she evaluates are not diagnosed but have delays, and unfortunately do not qualify for therapy services through funding sources. I think we could provide that additional support they need while providing support to the parents and at an affordable private rate. </p>
      <p>Another area that there is a need is providing a positive experience for the siblings of the children coming into our practice for intensive therapy. The parents could benefit from 1:1 time with the neurotypical child, and the family could benefit from a positive experience together as well. </p>
      <p>We have had families express to us that they love having their child with special needs in an inclusive group but the leaders don’t often know how to adapt or include their child in a successful way. We as music therapists certainly have the skills to bring all of those needs together.

Ashley Carroll

Participant

I currently living in one of the largest Naval communities in the country (Norfolk, VA) so there are lots of young military families with children, with little resources. As a military spouse and mother myself I have come to realize there is not much in ways of music programming for military families. It is also often a struggle financially for many families, so that is another area that I would need to look into. (possibly grant-writing opportunity!) I am involved in Mom-centered workout community and a lot of the moms were interested in the possibility of a new music program. The existing music programs offered leave much to be desired. When Meredith mentioned the performances for young children it was like she was reading my mind. I have been searching for something EXACTLY like that for my own child, but have come up empty handed. The phrase, “if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself” comes to mind! These videos have really lit a fire in my belly about getting out in my community.

Anonymous

Inactive

Ashley we have had several military spouses in previous trainings and each has made similar observations as yourself. If I am not mistaken, Beth’s husband was also in the military. You have a lot to offer these families and your services would be a wonderful resource.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

Right now my company does not have early childhood classes. However, once we do I think it will grow quickly. I live in an area that seems to be continuously growing in the opportunities for women and young children. And maybe that really isn’t the case, but maybe my awareness has grown, either way I like to think it is growing!<br />
      There are other Early Childhood programs close by. Many of them seem to be on waiting lists. Geographically there seems to be a small gap in the location of these classes. so I am hopeful to be able to provide services in that gap. We actually live in that gap and I have already used a nearby church for groups with DD/ID in the past. So this will help add more opportunities for individuals in my local community.<br />
      I feel like these families would benefit from being able to meet more like minded families and caregivers. As a mon, I feel like this is important to me. I want to create a nonjudgmental environment that allows children the opportunity to explore and grow. And also gives the family the opportunity to ask questions and visit with other members. I am already involved in many local opportunities for moms and babies. I will continue doing that, so families will see that I am interested in many aspects of parenting and child development.

Anonymous

Inactive

Jennifer the fact that there have been many music programs in the area that families are signing up for is actually great for business. It means that families are interested and looking for programs. Meredith has always reminded me of this, especially since I live in the state where the Music Together headquarters is located and the state is saturated with every kind of early childhood music and movement program out there. My program has steadily grown since I started it in 2014.

Jennifer Whitlow

Participant

Thank you, Erika. I agree that is will be great for business. In Indianapolis, we have the headquarters for DCI and Band of America. I feel like music education is mostly supported, so I really hope this helps the growth of my program!

Vanessa Quirarte

Participant

Although I do not work with many families of young children, the experiences that I have had with these families is that they want support and answers. They know that their child is not typical development and want to know what is ok and what is not. I also see a need for parent to parent support. I manage to catch conversations between clients parents/caregivers describing similar situations or behaviors to each other. They need self- assurance that it will be tough sometimes, but everything will ok.

I think that an early childhood program that is safe, fun, and educational would be a great opportunity for children of typical and atypical development to share experiences and motivate each other.

Within the community, as I stated before, there is not much support or programming for early childhood. Especially programming like sprouting melodies led by trained, professional music therapist. Children develope and take in so much in so little time during this age range (0-5). The stages of child development and music development presented in this course opened my eyes to the rapid change of levels.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content