what I will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2013 Week 2 what I will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Carla Carnegie

Participant

what I will bring to early childhood music therapy based programs is: My years of experience as a parent of 4, and now a grandmother of 2.  I also was a day-care provider for several years when my children were small.  I learned and experienced the very different and unique personalities and development of each child.  I had in my own family the confident, the timid, the quiet introspective, the boisterous, the music maker, the strong-willed, the leader, the follower and more.  I learned patience as I interacted and journeyed with each of these children through their own development markers.  It is exciting to think about a group of all manner of children coming for a Sprouting Melodies class, and interacting with each of them and their  parents/caregivers in music making. Just like we create the safety of the music circle for our music therapy sessions, it seems it will be for early childhood development,  where we can establish an environment where the children can explore themselves through music, and the aspects of music.  I also am a piano teacher, and it will be much different from that—for 1, the ages of the early childhood 0-5.  My real concern is my own physical ability—-I cannot get up and down off the floor readily, due to severe injuries years ago in a drunk-driver/pedestrian accident.  I hope this will not be an issue for parents, or kids.  I did work with typically functioning preschool kids in practicum, and I used a stool.  We adapted and got on just fine.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thank you for sharing your concerns about being able to move with the young children, Carla. I find that music can create the feeling of movement as well as the sense of containment in a way that can compensate for actual physical movement.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content