What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2013 Week 7 What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Lauren Stoner

Participant

I like what you were saying about having ideas on the website that would be appropriate for this age group. I prefer Remo as I feel they are sturdy and still have a good quality sound.

Coleen Shanagher

Participant

hmm I don’t know the brand off hand but I see a lot of what we use in your videos. I liked the suggestions about the balance of weight in the shakers. We use the mini maracas and eggs a lot. And the gathering drum often.

Stacy Reno

Participant

I buy most everything from West Muisc. I use the Remo gathering drums, Hohner kids baby shaker (jingle bell encased with handle) and chiquitas to name a few. I would love a one stop shop for recommended, tried and true instruments for this age. I usually buy one of something and then see how it sounds and works and then decided if I am going to buy more!

Keeley St Clair

Participant

I’m a big fan of Mino instruments. They are designed for children and have pleasing tone and quality.
      I also like Remo for drums. I haven’t used the jumbo chiquitas before but like what Meredith and Elizabeth were saying about the balance and lightness of the instrument.

Kehlen Bushatz

Participant

I also get most of my instruments from West. I will look into Mino though too! I use Remo drums, the mini rain sticks, mini animal-shaped bells, and mini maracas with my youngest kids. I haven’t used the jumbo chiquitas either. I do sometimes find it hard to find high quality instruments for the babies.

Meredith Pizzi

Thanks for the recommendation on Mino, Keeley. I will look into those.
      Stacey, I have also tried to purchase one at a time, but I find you can’t really see how the kids will respond to using them in the group if you only have one or two. And Yes, I love being able to recommend tried and true solutions! We have done custom orders for a couple of our Sprouting Melodies Providers to be sure that they get exactly the instruments that they need to get their programs up and running with the instruments they need to have.

Toni

Participant

Hi everyone. I also shop West Music and use primarily Remo instruments. I have the Remo Kids drums, mini rain sticks, cage bells, scarves, a couple of bigger egg shakers with the handle like a ring, and a bunch of other stuff mostly for kids 3 years old and up. I’ll be updating my inventory to get more stuff for the little sprouts under 3 years old 🙂 I haven’t heard of Mino. Time to do more shopping!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Most of my kids love jingle bells and I use them all year long. I usually get them from Woodstock Instrument company since they are heavier and give a full, rich sound. The kids always seem to want these also!

Andrea U

Participant

I have been looking for instruments to get my own private practice started. Thank you kindly for all the suggestions – I just need to find some affordable stores to purchase them from!

Sarah Tree

Participant

I also really love Remo. I’ve also used music is elementary at musiciselementary.com. They have a section for early childhood instruments, as well as a music therapy category.

Erin Spring

Participant

I like finding real instruments that are easy to sanitize, but are colorful and sound good. There are so many cheap sounding children’s toy instruments out there I hate to use.

Shannon Kiley

Participant

Remo is pretty reliable. Otherwise I am just testing the instruments in the store to see how they sound! I like the other suggestions for a one-stop-shop for this stuff, and it would be great if there was a place for music therapists to review the instruments and talk a bit about how their different clients respond to them.

Shannon Kiley

Participant

Remo is pretty reliable. Otherwise I am just testing the instruments in the store to see how they sound! I like the other suggestions for a one-stop-shop for this stuff, and it would be great if there was a place for music therapists to review the instruments and talk a bit about how their different clients respond to them.

Kathryn Opher

Participant

I mainly use West and Remo. I like the low gathering drums as kids can sit on them and feel the vibrations.

Jennifer Sokira

Participant

We usually order all of our instruments from West. I’ve had good luck with the LP egg shakers, American Drum mallets, Basic Beat and most of Remo’s equipment (although not so much with their Sound Shapes- I noticed paint chipping on a set that I had and needed to toss them:-/)

Petra Paukova

Participant

I am also using Remo and West Music, plus I have some Orff instruments from Europe (claves, wooden blocks etc). I am making my own instruments sometimes. Shakers are easy to make, just fill an empty sturdy coconut water can from Sprouts with dry lentils and cover with colorful duck tape, and there you go…..I do not like most of the toy instruments from Target etc. They do not produce pleasant sound at all. I bought some shakers in Guitar Store, but they are expensive there.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content