What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2013 Week 7 What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Megan Goddu

Participant

While I am not currently working with children of this developmental level, I do have some small maracas, rhythm sticks and a drums that doesn’t stand too tall. I would use those if I was working with this population. I like the rhythm sticks, because they are good ones for hand over hand help between parent/caregiver and child. If a child is sitting on the parent’s lap, the parent is able to help support the bottom of the rhythm stick while the child either puts their hands right on top of the parents or right above the parents’ hands on the rhythm stick. I have gotten most of the instruments I use for my music therapy work from WestMusic.com … they have reasonable prices and have some decent sales every now and again.

Emily Seymour

Participant

When working with this developmental level I would use jumbo chiquitas, mini maracas, and drums.  I think it would be neat to try using a floor piano mat with this developmental level to give some sensory input to the feet.  Personally, I would use the guitar, ukulele, and piano with these children.  I have never purchased instruments before so I’m not sure what the best brands are.  I’m looking forward to learning from other members of the group about brand names.

Kristen Macleod

Participant

Like Emily I would be interested in what brands others are using. I’m looking to invest in some new instruments for my practice.

For my younger clients I use mini maracas and drums but because I havent been working with early years children much I dont really have a large variety that would be specific for them. So I’m interested  to learn what others are using!

Anonymous

Inactive

I am going to jump on the same topic to find out what others are using.  In the past I have used Remo, Hohner, Nino Percussion, and a few others.

I’ve always tried to have a variety of large and small instruments from maracas, egg shakers, to drums, and guitar.  I would also love to know what

cleaning supplies others use.  I am always nervous about toxicity, but also really getting the germs cleaned!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

One thing I can never be without is a good quality, good sounding hand drum that I use to set a steady beat. I like ones with a deep, rich sound that is not overwhelming.

Lauren Bevilacqua

Participant

I have some remo sound shapes that I like to use and basic beat jumbo chiquitas. Everything is easily cleaned.  But I’m always looking for new and additional instruments to bring to my preschoolers. 

Michelle Muth

Participant

I do not have groups of children at this developmental level.  Instruments I do have are cluster bells, wrist bells, egg shakers, paddle, hand drums and an ocean drum (with mallets).  Of those items  I would not use the egg shakers (hazard), or the the cluster bells (see note below).  The paddle drums might work as they could work with an adult while one holds the drum.  I have 3 sizes of hand drums all still might be a bit big for this age group.  The ocean drum could be a nice soothing component and great tool for setting up a surprise.  For small hand percussion really just the wrist bells would work and they are adult size.

All that to say I need to stock up on some age-appropriate instruments that have longevity.  The cluster bells I am least impressed as I bought them in January, they have been used about once a week in classes with 3-21 year-olds with severe development/physical challenges and at least half of them the plastic is breaking.  Needless to say I need to contact the vendor.

Lisa Klostermann

Participant

I use Norwex cloths to clean my instruments. So handy since you just need water & the cloth, and totally non-toxic.

Remo drums for sure.   I have these http://www.westmusic.com/1002405-kids/k5020-kids-drums/remo-rhythm-club-frame-drums.htm  The set of 5 is nicer, but more expensive.  Love my buffalo drum.
      Hohner Kids MT608 Toddler Tambourine  http://www.westmusic.com/1002405-kids/k5050-under-age-3/k5050a-bells-shakers/hohner-kids-mt608-toddler-tambourine.htm.  I also have some Basic Beat Jelly Bean tambourines.  Inexpensive, and decent, but not as nice as the hohner!
      Hohner rainmakers
      Basic Beat Chiquitas, I just have the smaller ones
      LP mini cabas
      They LOVE the basic beat stir xylophone. I take the handle off. This is probably better for older kids.  http://www.westmusic.com/1002409-drums-percussion/p2020-hand-mounted-percussion/p2020i-sound-effects/p2020i24-stir-xylophones/basic-beat-bb39-stir-xylophone-w-mallet.htm
      They love my Tenor Ukulele.  It’s just their size!

Lisa Klostermann

Participant

The Hohner Kids Mini Orchestra is also awesome.    I also have a bunch of the West Music Castanets  (Can you tell that I live where there is a West music in town?) 😉

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks for all the specific resources, Lisa!

Jillian Brown

Participant

I use ocean drums, maracas, the ukulele, djembe drums and wrist bells. I bought a lot of the items off Amazon and some are remo brand and some are brands that I can’t remember. I also have a floor piano but I’m working on how I want to utilize it in a way that can be therapeutic as opposed to the kids just running all over it.

Carla Carnegie

Participant

most of my instruments came from West Music.  I am ordering soon the small tom-tom floor drum. I have wrist bells, ukelele, small shakers with handles for maracas, small frame drums, paddle drums and mallets.

Carla Carnegie

Participant

I forgot—-additionally, I have rhythm sticks, West castanets, and a buffalo drum.  Remo is a good brand.  I am planning on adding an ocean drum soon as well.

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Has anyone else ever used a floor piano? I would love to hear some ideas.

Courtney Fanello

Participant

I also have sound shapes and love how easy they are to clean. I have jingle sticks and rhythm sticks, a frog guiro, an ocean drum, and a large djembe, but I hope to get a gathering drum and some scarves and looking for a good set of resonator bells. I have some that are color coded and can be split up individually that I got through another childhood program, Lets Play Music.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content