What kind and brand of instruments are you using?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2021 Week 7 What kind and brand of instruments are you using?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Be sure to come back and respond to others as well.

Samantha Springer

Participant

I currently do not have any groups with children at this developmental level. However, I serve children 1:1 at this developmental level and use instruments that are easy to hold independently (maracas). As mentioned in the video, I stay away from tambourines, bells, or other instruments with a bright timbre or that have parts that may break and be ingested since mouthing can occur. I also try to stay away from smaller instruments that could cause choking. I like to sometimes use brightly colored instruments as well to provide visual stimulation.

I order all of my instruments from West Music, but don’t have any specific brands that I love. In my full time job, we have a plethora of instruments to choose from that are provided by the site so I make sure to choose sturdy instruments. However, in my part time job (running my own business), I order instruments that would be appropriate for that person after I complete the assessment with them.

I typically use small maracas or chiquitas, large frame drums, and gathering drums with children in this developmental level. I usually stay away from anything that can be put into the mouth and swallowed, and stay away from tambourines and bells with bright timbres. I gravitate towards instruments that are sturdily built and easy to clean. I typically buy Remo drums as I like how they are built and how they sound/feel. I do not use anything with a mallet as fine motor skills are typically not ready and instead encourage gross motor movements with my instrument choices.

Maria Ramey

Participant

For this developmental level I like to use large textured egg shakers (can’t fit in the mouth!), drum shakers and sometimes the maracas from Luminote. I do gravitate to Remo instruments for drums etc. and especially love the new Health Rhythm line that have gentler sounds and are easy to clean.

Favor Chujor

Participant

For children in this age range, I’ve used small maracas, chiquitas, and frame drums. I generally use try and utilize instruments that are a bit bigger than a child’s mouth, in the instance that the child puts the instrument in their mouth during the session. The color and texture of the instruments are also important to keep in mind, as you can embed color identification into presented songs.

Amy Berggren

Participant

I usually use small maracas, wrist bells, frame drums, and sound shapes. I lean towards instruments that are slightly larger with a handle they can easily hold and ones that are sturdy and strong. I also have wrist bells for those that might have difficulty holding an instrument.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content