What kind and brand of instruments are you using?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2022 Week 7 What kind and brand of instruments are you using?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Meghan Hanley

Participant

I’m not currently leading any groups with this developmental level. But, in the past, I have used Remo sound shape circle drums which are different sizes and are very lightweight. I have also used Remo Babies Make Music Maracas.

Diandra Doble

Participant

I am not currently using instruments because of the strict rules in place at the site I do work at right now due to COVID. When I did use instruments, I used a frame drum, ocean drum, scarves and different colored maracas. Right now, I encourage the children in the group to find something in the classroom to use as an instrument to make music.

Meghan Hanley

Participant

My children groups love the ocean drum! I also like the suggestion of finding common items in the area to make music with.

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

I work with individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities, so I tend to choose instruments very carefully. For maracas, I like the Basic Beat Toddler Maracas as opposed to the chiquita shakers. In my experience, chiquita shakers will eventually crack and when they break they go everywhere. The Basic Beat Toddler Maracas seem to be more durable plastic, and they don’t scream “I’m for a child” which is nice. I’m also a big fan of Remo drums. They can be more on the expensive side, but they are very well built and durable. I love their paddle drums over the lollipop drums for durability – but the lollipop drums are more eye-catching and the price point is about half as much.

Another thing I look for in instruments besides durability is how easily can I clean it. Wood instruments, though sealed, can still be porous and the sealing will eventually chip off, so I usually opt for plastic versions (they usually don’t sound as nice, but they don’t not sound nice, if that makes sense). I use plastic rhythm sticks, plastic kokoriko, and plastic castinets. You can also just dunk them into the sink and bulk wash them if that’s easier.

Holly Jurca

Participant

I am not necessarily attached to a specific brand, although my workplace generally has high quality instruments like Remo. I use egg shakers, tambourines, ocean drums, and gathering drums. I use scarves as well, having children choose the colors (similar as with egg shakers).

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content