What kind and brand of instruments are you using?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – March 2023 Week 7 What kind and brand of instruments are you using?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Julie Palmieri

Participant

What kind and brand of instruments are you using in your groups with children of this developmental level?

Kimberly Werner

Participant

For this age group, I often use:

– Remo Rhythm, Breath, Lullaby ocean disc (it’s a little less loud & jarring than the regular ocean discs)
      – Remo Radiant series tambourine
      – Remo buffalo drum
      – Remo sound shapes
      – Latin Percussion cabasa
      – Hohner clatterpillar
      – Nino egg shakers
      – Wooden frog rasp guiro

Katelyn Caruso

Participant

I don’t currently work with children so I would love recommendations! I suppose the things that are most important to consider are safety, sound quality, and instruments that are the correct size for small hands/bodies. Many instruments I currently use that might be appropriate are my small Remo ocean drum, sound shapes, and the last two weeks I have been using an easycussion pentatonic glockenspiel that I saw in one of the videos this week! My clients have really been enjoying that one! It seems like a bunch of different timbres could be important to incorporate, but not any instruments that would be too brash or sound scary to little ones.

Kimberly Werner

Participant

Kids will totally surprise ya! I have a 2 y/o right now that is absolutely TERRIFIED of the ocean drum – even the not so loud/NICU one. I’ve started wrapping the not so loud ocean drum in layers of towels to dampen the sound to hopefully increase tolerance. All that is to say – totally worth trying out lots of different things!

Melissa Neitzel

Participant

Small honer rain sticks, scarves from west music, remo gathering drum, remo ocean disk, remo gato box, hohner tactile egg shakers

Erika (TeamRH)

Keymaster

If you wanted support in choosing instruments in starting a program. Meredith is always available to help you pick instruments based on your budget.

Leslie Aldrich

Participant

The kinds of instruments I have and can see myself using with this age group are Remo egg shakers, West Music small maracas, West Music scarves, and small hand-held instruments like plastic bells, rattles, mini rain sticks that I got from West Music, again.

Kimberly Werner

Participant

I’m always curious about how folks are using scarves. They’re something that I don’t have the opportunity to use in the medical setting (our infection control has denied them). I have a few song/activity ideas, but they’re probably the prop that I feel least equipped to incorporate. I’m also curious about how you navigate disinfecting/cleaning – do you take them home to wash? Do you send one home with each family and request for them to bring them back to each session?

Christine Wick

Participant

I haven’t brought any instruments in with me during my home visits yet except for my guitar. I’ve been trying to utilize what is already there in their home to create the comfort and transition of easily being able to recreate these musical experiences when I’m not there. I also work with a lot of families where it might be uncomfortable to bring in many instruments to their space due to economic hardship. I’m mindful about using what the child is already loving to play with in their home along with body percussion/ and music/movement experiences to facilitate connection and bonding experiences.

Maggie Johnson

Participant

I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration. This would be a difficult decision for me because I would want my participants/client to experience a wide range of timbres even if it’s only in sessions. I really wish I could remember the name right now, but there is a non-profit that sources ukuleles for participants of music therapy. I wonder if there is something you can do in the way of grants to provide instruments. Thanks for sharing!

Maggie Johnson

Participant

The instruments I’ve used include: Remo Gathering drum, Kala ukulele, Green Tones wooden sparrow shaker (this one is super cute!), basic beat jumbo egg shaker (a bit spendy for egg shakers, but really satisfying for all ages), Remo baby maraca, juggling/movement scarves (west music or similar), Nino percussion 2 bell jingle stick. I also like the 8 resonator bell sets that come in rainbow colors in a clear green case, but I don’t recall the brand.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content