What value do music therapists bring to families of young children?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2016 Week 5 What value do music therapists bring to families of young children?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What value do music therapists bring to families of young children? Post your thoughts and comments to the board. Reply to the contributions of the group.

Julia Park

Participant

Music therapists use music as a “tool” to accomplish non-musical goals. When music therapists engage with young children, their focus is not only on children learning music but much more. Sprouting Melodies seems to emphasize on the relationships between the children and their peers, parents, and families through music. Music therapists can also help new parents understand the developmental level of the children in both non-musical and musical formats. I can understand why Sprouting Melodies provided by music therapists can be such a great asset to the community because it brings children, families, and communities together.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

You got it, Julia, exactly with the much more! Other early childhood programs seem to focus more on the music rather than the relationship and developmental skills.

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Not only do we bring direct music therapy services to their children (which means a lot to the family) but we also provide education, validation, and fun to the family members/loved one’s that come with the child. In regards to Sprouting Melodies, one big thing I noticed was that the group was a social group for the parents as well-which is pretty great. It’s like group “inception”-you have a group within a group within a group. You have the Children being in a group, the parents being in group with the children, and then the parents in group with the parents. Not only does the music therapist help in the development of the child-but also in the development in the relationship with the child and with the surrounding families. Not to mention, MT-BC’s provide tools to the parents to use at hope with their kids!

Julia Park

Participant

I definitely agree with Nicole. Parents need to have safe places to socialize where they are welcomed to bring their babies yet also educational and fun.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

I like your realization of the group within a group within a group. That is so true! It is like 3 groups in one, what a great benefit!

Kristina Rio

Participant

Nicole, I love how you put that! Group “inception” is such a great way to think about the layers of benefit the families are getting!

Susan Gannon

Participant

I think Julia hit the nail on the head when she said that music therapists use music as a tool to accomplish non-musical goals. Other music educators follow “scripts” and either supplied, pre-recorded music or music provided by a proprietary entity. These other young childhood educators have used research to see what ‘average’ needs are met by the music they supply. It’s only music therapists who can determine the individual needs of each child, no matter where they are on the developmental time-line, and use music as “tools” to help with development. Even if a parent doesn’t have a special needs child, wouldn’t that parent want the best for their children?

Shelly Peterson

Participant

Yes, Susan, we are changing our interventions to meet the needs of the individual child, parent and group, not following a “recipe” of sorts.

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

Music therapists are not only highly trained musicians but have also been trained in development and psychology. We understand music, what music is developmentally appropriate, and how to interpret one’s response to music. We are able to use music to accomplish non-musical goals and use our psychological training to influence behaviors in a healthy and research proven way. I like to think of us as the whole package. I also love that sprouting melodies focuses on giving the parents education as well. As we educate parents about what is developmentally appropriate and teach them skills (reinforcement, replacement, etc.) for them to use at home, we can reduce some of the stress and anxiety that parents feel.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

I like how Rebecca talks about MTs providing the whole package – this is something that is valuable about music therapists in any population or setting, we look at a broader picture of an individual.

Rebecca Woodruff

Participant

I agree with what both Nicole and Julia said about music therapy, and Sprouting Melodies in particular, focuses on the relationship of parent and child. I feel like that is so important and another facets of the whole music therapy package.

Shelly Peterson

Participant

Thank you for really having us take a look at the value of what we know and do as music therapists. It is not something that everyone inherently know and if we don’t share it with them, they won’t know!
      What is the value we bring as music therapists to young children and their families?
      Quality live music
      Music that is developmentally appropriate
      Music that can be adapted to fit the needs of individuals and groups
      Provides a broader picture of benefits for the child in music AND development
      Provides a broader picture of benefits parent and child in music AND development
      Provides a support and way of connecting with other children and parents
      Engaging and fun for all
      Rationale and tools to take the skills home with them

Nicole Drozd

Participant

Just to add to this conversation, I just got a referral for a kiddo who had participated in a “Zumbini” class in my area. “Zumbini” is a zumba class for kids ages 0 to 3 years old. It appears that they use some kid-friendly pop music, simplified dance moves, and instruments. Obviously they are not calling it therapy (I realize as I am writing this it sounds like I am concerned about this program-I am not) but they are marketing it as both a zumba class and a child-development class. Aside from dancing and moving instruments-I didn’t see too much about how the kids “develop through participating in the class”. I never payed any attention to these classes until I started Sprouting Melodies Training and now I wonder how doing that class really benefits the child and their caregivers more than perhaps one our groups-which is a great thought as I begin to considering ways of marketing my music therapy services again. What I love about getting this most recent referral is that it brought my attention to other programs in my community and made me see the worth in what I hope to do in the future.

Kate Potrykus

Participant

I’ve found myself noticing a lot of other child-development classes through music and the arts as well, Nicole. I’m sure they can be as equally beneficial as the Sprouting Melodies classes, but it would be interesting to see what kind of credentials/training/background knowledge the people who offer those courses have. There is some inherent developmental benefit to engaging in social activities with other children, but a course like this (and perhaps some that we’ve seen advertised) is truly geared toward specific developmental milestones.

Kate Potrykus

Participant

Music therapists bring a lot of different things to the table when working with children and families. They have a strong awareness of diversity among individuals and use that to provide the best service they can for each different individual. One of the most poignant things I learned while earning my degree is that everyone is different, but people are people and should be treated as such. This reminds me, as a therapist, to be patient with those that I work with. It also goes hand in hand with what has been reiterated in this training course – there are developmental milestones that children are expected to reach, but every child takes their own time getting there and some don’t always reach it the same way others do.

A music therapist is also a good communicator – which is important when working with families. I think most of us would say we’re pretty used to having to communicate the therapeutic process and any progress made toward goals to parents. I have many parents who sit in on my work with their children, so I have a lot of practice explaining what I’m doing and what I’m seeing from their child in response. I’ve also been a sounding board for concerns regarding their children. So beyond knowledge of development, musical talent, and an inclusive environment through which to explore music for young children and their families, music therapists can also bring a sense of security and reassurance through their work.

Great points made by everyone. I agree that the value of this program and of it being delivered by music therapists lies not only in the musical and psychological training that we have, but also in our ability to be flexible in the moment so that we are really meeting each child’s and parent’s needs. We all have a “toolbox” of songs, activities and interventions, and are able to use these in a way that is developmentally appropriate for each child that we work with, and fosters not only their own development, but also their relationships with their peers and parents/caregivers.

Johanna Horn

Participant

What value do music therapists bring to families of young children? Post your thoughts and comments to the board. Reply to the contributions of the group.

I think music therapists have such a different take on early childhood development. Not only do we have the skills and understanding of developmental milestones, but we can incorporate that into session planning and music making. We support non musical goals and build upon those milestones. Also, the fact that a music therapist is a credentialed/board certified individual is a plus, as there are many early childhood music programs that do not require any musical license/credentials.
      Music education is a wonderful thing, but I feel that that is one tiny piece to the whole musical puzzle. A music teacher can teach a child how to do something, but a music therapist can cater and individualize a lesson and teach a child how to do something while considering several different domains.

Alexis Ramagnano

Participant

I have had the opportunity to observe the “Music Man” who offers monthly classes at our children’s daycare center. He was very entertaining for the children but the children basically observed a “show” with drawings, jokes, magic, and a touch of music. I believe that was the moment I realized that our community needed more opportunities for their children to engage in meaningful music therapy driven experiences. We board certified music therapists are required to maintain our credentials, which ensures that we are a group of educated, knowledge driven, believers in the services we were trained to provide. This is something that performers are lacking and therefore most children are not being exposed to. Music therapists are able to use their music appropriately, observe responses, and communicate progress or make recommendations. This is what sets us apart.

Daniel Henry

Participant

– Sprouting Melodies/ Music therapy provides:
      – Fun for their child!
      – Tools for healthy development for the child and parents
      – Opportunity for bonding
      – Opportunity for socialization with other children
      – Opportunity for socialization with other parents
      Parent’s can trust the leadership of music therapist. They’re not just paying for a music class, but they are paying to have a skilled professional work with and observe their child and give them tools to continue that work at home.The music therapist is equipped to see the needs of a child and also to develop goals and strategies that are going to best meet that child’s needs.

Anonymous

Inactive

Nicole in my experience offering Sprouting Melodies, I had quite a few families that had tried a variety of other parent/child classes, including some that were music and movement based. Some enjoyed these other programs and others had negative experiences. But almost all of them could see that the music therapy, early childhood music development, and Sprouting Melodies training really made Sprouting Melodies unique. Many shared how they felt like they got individualized attention even though it was a group and they not only learned what was happening developmentally, but also ways they could use the music at home on an everyday basis. As Kate said, I’m sure other classes are also beneficial, but music therapists definitely have a uniqueness to offer because of our specialized training.

Kristina Rio

Participant

I really enjoyed reading everyone’s responses!we don’t always realize our value, so I love this question. We truly have such a unique skill set!

Charniqua Snell

Participant

Music therapists bring different levels of support to the families that come to the groups. It is definitely more than giving the children something fun to do for half an hour. It allows the parents to not only bond with their child in the group (which can happen to any other group) but they can use the songs and tools when they go home!
      Also, music therapists can bring knowledge in how their children are developing (or not). Especially if the child is not developing as they should, MTs can adapt and improvise so everyone in the group is successful and can learn and grow!

Elizabeth Carras

Participant

Music therapists bring a perspective of using and working through music to ‘get at’ the development of the whole child, the physical, emotional, social, behavioral, and spiritual aspects of the growing child. Kid music programs that are facilitated by a music educator or a parent may hit on these developmental goals, as music intrinsically facilitates development, but a music therapist is trained in and looks for these goals.

Susan Gannon

Participant

In response to what some of the others have said about other music programs in their towns, such as the “Music Man” I think how to define what they do is that they are entertainers; we are therapists and educators.

Christina Bass

Participant

I really enjoyed reading everyone’s responses, such a great question! I think another point that is so great about having an early childhood program provided by board certified music therapist is our continuing education. We strive to keep up with the latest research and take courses to further our knowledge. This adds so much more than a set program to follow. And of course, our diverse clinical training and experiences help shape our insight in providing the best service for each individual child.

Flora Whitmore

Participant

I feel that the benefit of having a music therapist providing an early childhood program is their ability to read the dynamics of a group, understand clients needs in a clinically informed manner and provide interventions that can be tailored to the members of the group (both adults and kids.) the educational background and clinical experience prepares us for a whole range of musical and behavioral curveballs. I agree with the points around many music hours/ acts being more of a show. The ability to appropriately engage families and meet them where they are at, but also help troubleshoot any obstacles (developmental delays) or otherwise is something that music educators and entertainers are just not generally equipped to do.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content