What value do music therapists bring to families of young children?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – June 2016 Week 5 What value do music therapists bring to families of young children?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What value do music therapists bring to families of young children? Post your thoughts and comments to the board. Reply to the contributions of the group.

Elizabeth Ferguson

Participant

As music therapists we bring a lot to the table! Our training helps us to better understand the development of children on so many levels, especially musically! We also are more aware of social cues and “reading” the groups participants and tend to be more intune with groups members feelings as a result of our training. We are also great musicians and know how to use music to support growth and bonding and social interactions. Music therapists rock and I am so proud to be one and be apart of such a stellar community!

Rachel Lighty

Participant

I think the most important thing that music therapists bring to these families is knowledge. We have a unique compilation of knowledge that includes developmental knowledge, specific music knowledge, and how to use elements in music to help with developmental goals or any other goal we wish to work on.

Another important aspect is the word “therapy”. In our training we have learned how to think on our feet, be flexible, and provide opportunities for success as therapists. This training not only allows us to be client focused, but to pass on this information and these techniques to parents or caregivers to help them build the best relationship they can with their children.

It is also simply a fun experience to be a part of where you can still understand the reasoning behind the song or instrument, but once again continue to build a relationship that is positive and fun.

Alice Sorensen

Participant

I definitely agree with the thoughts that have been posted already, and I’ll add to it by saying we can offer more tailored experiences to more families. For example, if a family with young children of varying developmental levels is looking for early childhood experiences, they might choose Music Together or some other non-music therapist based Mommy & Me sort of program, all of which are great. But because music therapists are especially trained, we’re offering therapeutic interventions to support child development, not necessarily music development (although it can also blossom). Other early childhood classes that I’m aware of offer music development or early child development, but none that offer child development with music as the primary conduit. I think that makes us very unique.

Anonymous

Inactive

Wonderful insights! I love to read the answers to this question and to see how each participant highlights the unique training, skills, and offerings music therapists bring. Thank you all for your contributions!

Tracy Schoenberg

Participant

I completely agree with all the above statements. A music therapist has to be a good musician and a good therapist. Our main goal isn’t to educate kids about music although I believe that can happen naturally within sessions, but rather to address the developmental needs of all different kinds of children based on where they are developmentally. Children develop differently and a good music therapy program can be tailored to those needs of the individual, groups, and their parents, friends, and siblings. Personally i love the fact that I can be flexible without a certain script or detailed lesson plan that might not engage kids. I can provide a personalized approach to music based on the needs of kids and their parents to enable growth in child development and encourage parental and child attachement. From a parental point of veiw, I love gaining more knowledge where my child is developing and how I can encourage more development in certain areas. It is especially crucial when there is some sort of delay or challenge the kid is facing that needs to be addressed early on. I also enjoy the social aspect of music for parents and their kids. Most importantly I hope music therapy can be fun experience for everyone while incorporating musical play, listening, and movement.

Gwendolyn Van Baalen

Participant

In my experience, connection and rapport are the first step in helping families with young children. I have found that music interventions foster rapport between those sharing them and provide opportunities for connection between caregivers and their children. The structure of the music provides a safe container in which for caregivers to explore their connection with their children while providing a multi-sensory experience through which a child can experience this connection with the caregiver.

The knowledgeable structuring of music interventions also provides an accessible medium for caregivers to intentionally engage in their child’s development. For example, a song can become a means by which to help a child build the muscle control needed to sit independently and meet subsequent motor milestones.

Beth McLaughlin

Participant

In the interview video, that mother who was questioned made some good points. I would definitely include them here in my response to this question. The qualities she pointed out were enthusiasm, passion, engagement and sincere caring for the children and their families. In addition, I think music therapists bring a unique skill set that includes the ability to include children of varying developmental levels in the music experience, full personal engagement in the process of music making, patience that translates to an understanding of the importance of waiting for the child to process the information they are getting thru the music environment then responding when ready. Finally, I would include our ability to articulate what we are doing within the music session and why, which was pointed out by Meredith as an important component of our role as a provider of music for young children.

In reading others’ posts, I agree with Gwendolyn regarding the rapport that’s built between the provider and those engaging in the music. It fosters an inclusive environment for both children and adults that promotes trust and encourages communication. And of course, musicianship is key as well!

Flora Whitmore

Participant

I think one of the biggest things music therapists bring to the table with parents who are seeking enriching experiences for their children is the voice of experience and knowledge around how to address their children’s specific developmental needs through music making. A lot of the parents I have spoken to have been very excited that music is the vehicle for the delivery of these skills for their children, but appear even more reassured and engaged when able to see that there is theory and practice and education behind the music. Our ability to take music and tailor it specifically to the developmental needs of children is what sets us apart. Any teacher can pop in a CD of children’s songs, but it takes a music therapist to develop songs with melodic structure, rhythm, movement and expectations that are engaging, realistic and appealing to a child, while also meeting them in the development stage that they are in.

Jessica Triana

Participant

Music therapists have invaluable knowledge about the role and implications of music in a therapeutic context at all levels of human development. We blend our understanding of the multidimensionality of music, child development, and family dynamics to create unique interventions of therapeutic benefit to our young clients and their families. Each early intervention clinician, regardless of speciality, maintains a scope of practice. I feel that our wide scope of practice allows us as music therapists to respectfully expand upon the work of our fellow therapist counterparts (eg. Occupational therapy) to provide rather comprehensive, motivating, non-threatening, interactive and fun interventions.

Marchele Gilman

Participant

I think Flora spoke it beautifully. We as music therapists bring our skills in how to create musical interventions to work on nonmusical behaviors. We are trained to assess and bring in therapeutic interventions that support child development. We bring our developmental knowledge and our abilities to create and change interventions in real time as group dynamics change. We bring our abilities to create developmentally appropriate music tailored to a specific child or children.

Alison Albino

Participant

Music is such a fun way to have children connect with one another and with their families/caregivers! As music therapists, we understand not only the music, but the psychology behind early childhood. We use music to provide educational opportunities and we really are able to see when children are successful and why. Since we have this information, like Rachel said, we can pass that information on to families and caregivers.

RaeAnna Zinniel

Participant

I agree with with everyone’s statements. Music therapists truly are unique, in their abilities and skill set. We have the opportunity to not only engage parents and children in a fun and inviting way but we also are able to teach them about such a wide range of topics. We have an understanding of more then just music and we are easily share this with those we come into contact with.

Ayelet Weiss

Participant

I agree with everyone above. Some qualities of music therapists that I think make us stand out from others when working with children and families are: unconditional acceptance of the child and the caregiver, the knowledge and training that enable us to support each group member where they are, the ability to support and promote development within the music, the ability to be flexible and respond in the moment, the knowledge and tools which enable us to carefully and purposefully choose appropriate musical activities. As stated above, we can also share our knowledge about development and our musical choices with caregivers to help support the child at home as well.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content