What value do music therapists bring to families of young children?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – January 2015 Week 5 What value do music therapists bring to families of young children?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

What value do music therapists bring to families of young children? Post your thoughts and comments to the board. Reply to the contributions of the group.

Leigh Ann Walberg

Participant

We have the training that many do not, we have information to share on their children’s development. We are a fun way to spend time with and learn about their children.

Jessica Bogacik

Participant

Music therapists are uniquely positioned in communities to bring huge benefits to young children and their families. Because of our specialized training, we know how to really utilize music as a TOOL – and not just present music in the same way for each child/group as a music teacher might do. Our training and special skills allow us to know how to elicit and promote responses to music using certain harmonic, rhythmic, or melodic structures. This is how we are unique as compared to music teachers or other professionals using music with young children. We’re also trained to work with a large variety of individuals, which is beneficial in that we can feel prepared to meet the needs of children with delays or disabilities within the framework of a group with typically developing children. Also, we may be more sensitive or prepared to interact with parents who may be anxious, frustrated, or uncertain about their child’s behavior/development. What I love most about the Sprouting Melodies program is the emphasis on sharing tools and skills with the parents. Like the mom in the interview said, this program means that her daughter has music in her life more than just one day per week – it’s at home, it’s with grandparents, it’s with her cousins and friends, and she uses it all the time in her life. The music has really become a part of her life. And what an awesome opportunity for mom and daughter to bond, learn new skills together, and get to know each other in a positive environment. Moms and dads don’t get to go to school or educational classes with their kids all the time, so being able to see their child in that learning environment, and also to learn methods of positive parenting is such a HUGE benefit for Sprouting Melodies parents.
      Obviously, I’m really excited about this program! 🙂

Mikhala Majeau

Participant

Like what Jessica has said, we know how to use music as a Tool!! Music therapists are trained to work with so many different age groups, that we have the unique ability to support not only the child’s growth but also the parent’s growth, and the growth of the relationship between child and parent. Music therapists are especially unique because we are able to tailor interventions to fit the child and the situation at hand. We are not taught to use a curriculum or pre-set plan, we are taught to be flexible and work with the child and circumstance. Unlike a music teacher, we use music as a tool, not to learn how to make music. A music therapist can provide the support and environment through music to foster a child’s development as well as build a relationship with the child, the caregiver, and the overall community. I think music therapists can also bring the joy of music to families of young children. We can show our families how a child can BE in the music, can grow in the music, and can truly live in the music. Even better yet, we can show the caregivers how to foster the love of music and bring that music home creating a more positive environment for both the child and the parent.

Amanda Goff

Participant

The value that Music Therapist’s bring to families of young children is the opportunity for both the child and family to express themselves creatively and in a way that might be new to both the child and family. The Music Therapist is also a great connection between the child and their family. The Music Therapist keeps the line of communication between the two, keeping communication both open and honest. As mentioned in this past weeks power point, it is extremely important to keep parents and families in the loop and to share what is being done within sessions and why these interventions have been chosen. I personally believe that keeping communication open with the parents and family is so important and a major factor of the Music Therapy practice.

I completely agree with the ladies above, that Music Therapist’s are trained in a way that others are not and that we are trained to use music as a tool!!!

Natalie Condon

Participant

I want to echo what Amanda, Mikhala, and Jessica have said and add to the discussion that we are a huge resource and the Sprouting Melodies group can serve as a sound board for parent’s concerns and inquiries. With the education and knowledge-base we have as music therapists we have a unique and diverse way of looking at situations and finding different angles to help families grow and connect with their children regardless of developmental abilities. Where others see challenges and obstructions we often see opportunities for parents and caregivers to learn and use the music as a tool. Jessica mentioned our openness and our line of communication that we offer to inform parents so that they can in-turn use that information to inform other people in their child’s life. And just to further Mikhala’s point that we have the ability to be spontaneous and flexible so that the children can just be in the music. Most parent’s probably don’t know what that is or what it looks like, but by having a music therapist there to tell them and show them, they can learn it’s benefits. Just by listening to the parent in the video explain that when her child wake’s up she sings “hello everybody”, the child is clearly taking away from this and the content is generalizing into the child’s everyday life. The music isn’t just an hour of entertainment, with a music therapist it’s a tool that fosters growth and development that goes beyond the music space we provide and goes home with the families into the community.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Wow! What great reflections! I can feel your passion and excitement. I encourage you to print your answers to all of the questions, this one in particular. Your answers are so inspiring especially when you are just diving into your first Sprouting Melodies groups and need a reminder for why we do what we do!

Steven Clarke

Participant

As Music Therapists, we have a unique ability to provide music experiences that meet the needs of children in fun/engaging/purposeful ways. We are different from other professionals who work with young children and their families, because we use the music to facilitate growth/learning/reinforcement that carries over into other meaningful life experiences. Music Therapists foster awareness, trust, control, responsibility, creativity and other opportunities through music between young children and caregivers. We can also draw upon or skill sets developed through working with multiple populations to best meet the needs of those we serve through the music.

I agree with Leigh that we have the ability to provide parents fun ways to learn about/spend time with their children, and as Jessica and Natalie mention, these experiences will carry over into their daily lives and the relationships they develop with others. Mikhala’s point that Music Therapists are flexible and able to adapt to the child in the moment is important , and I agree with Amanda’s thought about Music Therapy providing a medium through which the child and family can express themselves creatively.

Jamie Sacca

Participant

Great answers everyone! Again, I would reiterate that our training sets us apart- we are not only trained to work specifically with music as a tool, but we also have the psychotherapy and counseling background that makes our way of engaging and working with, and really communicating with families effective, especially for those parents who may feel anxious or unsure about their child’s development. We have the ability to be flexible and adapt our work not only for different developmental levels but for each client we specifically are working with. Our command of music and music making has been, from my experience, one of the biggest draws to community based work I’ve done. We know how to make music interesting and engaging and that can set us apart.

Melissa Hentges

Participant

Music therapists bring a unique combination of skills. We can assess development and implement interventions to encourage development in young children, but what is uniquely valuable is that we purposefully use music as a tool. Rather than just singing to sing, we make choices about the melody, rhythm, tempo, etc. in order to successfully reach the goals of our clients. Because young children are naturally so engaged in music, this puts us at a distinct advantage when it comes to working with this population. We can tap into that love of singing, moving, and playing and use our skills as therapists to create an experience for young children that is about so much more than making music. Also, because we are trained to work with a wide variety of individuals, we know how to engage the parents/caregivers of the children so they are able to recognize the value in the experience.

Melissa Hentges

Participant

I really liked Mikhala’s point about supporting the child’s growth, the parent’s growth, but also the growth of the relationship between child and parent. In our society, so many people think that music is something you can only do if you are “good” at it. That it is only about performing or watching a performance. I love that with these classes, music becomes part of the everyday activities of these families. We know as music therapists, how beneficial music can be to other areas of development and the more accessible we can make music for the parents, the more music will become part of their relationship with their child.

Michelle Nettle

Participant

As music therapists we bring not only our musicianship, but more importantly our training in working with a variety of populations, which allows us to be flexible and adaptable in both the music we choose and in how we respond to the children and parents in our sessions. Our training of using music as a “tool” to elicit responses and work on targeted goals also positions us in a unique way to provide the most appropriate music experiences for the specific needs of the age group we are working with. In addition, our training has given us skills to be able to council parents, being in tune with their needs, and the ability to comfort, advise, and educate them about the development of their child and how best to use music in promoting healthy relationships between them, their child, and their entire family.

Linda Madler

Participant

Twenty-five years ago I became a music therapist; ten years ago I became an early childhood music educator. I can’t separate the two sides of myself, and I feel the families I work with benefit from both aspects. I always prepare a lesson plan in advance, but I have never followed it exactly because I teach in the moment, following the needs of the individuals present–it’s essential at these ages. I absolutely agree that we as music therapists have the ability to use music functionally to facilitate/elicit a desired response and that our training that makes us unique, however; we can also learn from other professionals.

Robyn Rutland-Coleman

Participant

There have been so many great ideas shared here! This question brings to mind the multifaceted understanding of music we have available to us as music therapists. We are aware not only of the enjoyment music can give, but also of the ways it can help us relate to one another and understand ourselves. As music therapists, we are trained to look at clients from a goal-directed perspective, and then to use our skills and expertise to support the client in meeting those goals through music. With a knowledge of early childhood development and musical behaviors, we can be a resource for caregivers, providing a unique perspective on their child’s stage of development and the child’s observed behavior in class. In other words, we can convey to them that their child might look like he is just sitting there, but here’s what’s really going on, and it’s great! I think it is important to acknowledge that as music therapists, we assess throughout our sessions and adapt (or scrap!) our plan if that is what is best for the client that day. This flexibility and desire to meet children and families where they are at a given moment is a great model for caregivers. Finally, music therapists are knowledgeable about how the different elements of music can be manipulated towards a therapeutic end. We have experience with supporting clients’ growth and development through music, and we can use this expertise to provide a developmentally appropriate and supportive music experience that takes into account both the child and their caregiver, and how the music can enhance their relationship.

Lauren Servos

Participant

I just recently had a conversation with the director of a Kindermusik company I used to work for while I was a student, and I was reminded of the vast difference between the education and experience it takes to be a Kindermusik teacher vs. a MT-BC. I think the Kindermusik curriculum is fantastic in many ways, and there are wonderful Kindermusik teachers out there, but when it comes down to it they just don’t have the training that a music therapist does to respond in the moment to each child’s needs. Music therapists can come into a group with a plan and change it completely on the fly because of the needs of the group. Music therapists can also provide more in depth support to the family unit. I don’t mean to talk badly about Kindermusik at all – it’s just very different from an early childhood group run by a music therapist.

Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s responses. Each training that I moderate, I am reminded of the wonderful work we do as music therapists by reading each participant’s responses. I am glad to see each one of you identifying the value you have to offer to young children and their families.

Kayla Hamilton

Participant

As music therapists, we have the opportunity to create a successful, flexible, and fun environment for everyone participating. Our specialized training allows for us to respond to children and parents in a unique and personal way. We also have the expertise to understand what is developmentally appropriate; we also notice possible musical aptitude and possible developmental deficits. I feel that we truly have the gifting to create a personal caregiver/child experience that is creative and so special. We also have the research and knowledge to support what we are doing. It is amazing to see the families benefit so much! It is truly rewarding!

Kathy Odenkirk

Participant

Music therapists bring a whole different level of training to families of young children! We are trained in a variety of areas including child development and behavioral interventions AND we continue to learn and stay updated in the CMTE opportunities. We have the ability to work with and along side of other professionals. As musicians we can be creative in our approach making it easier to meet the child (and family) where they are currently at (developmentally, etc) and journey on together from that point.

Amanda Barnett

Participant

Not to sound like a broken record but I too believe that we are beneficial to the setting as we are able to utilize music as a tool and not only something fun to do. I believe that our training and experience makes us more valuable to this setting than your run of the mill music teacher because we have education ranging from young children all of the way to hospice patients and that we are trained to interact with all age groups and populations. We have a unique set of skills that lead us to be able to better explain things to individuals in broader terms that can be more useful in every day life.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content