What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – January 2022 Week 5 What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What value do music therapists provide to young families?  Contribute on the forum.

Anne Reed

Participant

I spoke with a new mother recently and she shared how unsure she felt about taking care of her child. I think this feeling is more common than not. This opens the doors for us music therapists to offer encouragement, education, and engagement. The Music Therapist who understand child development has a unique opportunity to set families at ease through music. Music experiences are fun, engaging, bonding, and provide opportunities for both parent and child (siblings) to grow together and learn about each other. It is a great way to help families be at ease with each other and appreciate each other for who they are and who they are together.

Amy Brownell

Participant

It’s so important for us to be there to support these new families!

Amy Brownell

Participant

Music therapists use research-based knowledge about childhood development paired with musical skills to help children and adults engage with music in meaningful ways. We are able to structure the music in a way that is both beneficial and enjoyable to the child, and it is able to be reproduced by the adult to continue to use at home. We sing, dance, move, and listen to music through a different, creative lens, and we are able to share that information with adults to help them become more aware of every small achievement their child makes on a daily basis.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Hi Amy, I really love that point that you bring up about being able to educate parents about even the smallest achievements through music. It is so nice to be able to see the joy on parents faces when you highlight the child’s strengths, and how we can build upon those strengths as music therapists.

Amy Brownell

Participant

Yes! I get so excited about small achievements, and I love helping them get excited too!

Aliza Llovet

Participant

First time families or even young parents benefit from music therapy as being a evidenced-based practice and as I joke with families is presented in an engaging way where the child/family doesn’t even know they’re working. Music Therapists can present information to the family about the observations they are making and why they are using music in the way they are in an individualized manner. Music is a multi-sensory experience that is able to support and strengthen any developmental level.

Amy Brownell

Participant

It is great to be able to show that children are demonstrating skills without realizing it is ‘work’ since they are having fun with the music!

Emily Fabian

Participant

The value music therapists bring to young families is the use of skilled practice that is research based. Not only do we bring the knowledge of that evidence, but we present the information in an engaging way to both the child and the parents that allows for transfer at home. Parents are not only able to observe the interventions we use, but actively participate with their child, making the experience unique and creative; helping to nurture that bond even more through the use of music.

Amy Brownell

Participant

This is so important – we not only plan great sessions for when the children are with us, but we can plan ahead and create interventions for parents to do at home too!

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

I work with a lot of new parents within my community. I think one of the most valuable things we can provide as music therapists, is being able to bring in instruments or interventions that set the child up for success, so that the parent can see how their child is responding in a positive way to the music. Even if their child is not meeting “developmental milestones” based on their chronological age, they can still respond to music. Parents can still see their children explore through music, and they may even see their child accomplish goals and milestones they may not reach in other forms of therapy. Another value that music therapists provide to families is that we get to encourage parent child bonding. One of my favorite things to do is show parents and caregivers how they can be silly and playful with their children to strengthen their bond with them. It is so true that children do not want to hear our voices- they want to hear their parents voices. Being able to educate parents that just because they do not have “musical training”, does not mean they cannot still sing with their child.

Aliza Llovet

Participant

Really great points Jessica! No musical training needed for our families

Amy Brownell

Participant

I feel like having little experience with singing is something that may deter families from coming to music groups because they are uncomfortable and may even feel like they are performing in front of others. We need to find good ways to encourage them that everybody can sing! My own parents have very little musical experience and are not the greatest at matching pitch, but I am grateful they put that aside to sing with me constantly as a child!

Erika Svolos

Thank you all for your insights. Again, this question really highlights the unique skills you have to support the children and families you work with.

Thank you to all who came back and responded to each other. What great conversations!

Hannah Floyd

Participant

As music therapists we have obtained a board certification, doing to school for years to gain information on how to observe, support, and cause slow changes through the use of music. For me, I try to talk to all my individual client’s parents and keep up the communication of what is going on with their child. Whether it be my 3 year old client, letting the mother know his steps of development, or another client where the family has had a trauma response at the loss of the father of the family. Through music I try to create a safe space for my client to grieve, process, and create healthy coping skills. Music is a safe space, where even if the words aren’t used expression can occur

Amy Brownell

Participant

Creating a safe space through the music is key to having families engage with us!

Maggie Murphy

Participant

Music Therapists have advanced training (and opportunities for continuing ed.) that many early music teachers may not have. This training includes education in human development, as well as extensive musical training that can be used to support the child’s development. Because of this, Music Therapists can educate caregivers about the overall development and musical development of the child (and how to support that development outside of classes).

For families with children who have special needs, Music Therapists offer a space where their family can feel included and welcome. Our training as Music Therapists prepares us to work with child and families who have unique needs. This programming can help decrease isolation among special needs parents, since parents come together to attend and participate in classes/programming with their child/children.

Jessica Gelineau

Participant

Hi Maggie, I loved your point about how important our job is as music therapists to offer a space for parents of children with special needs. Many parents often tell myself as well as other clinicians that the groups we offer at our center are just as valuable (if not more valuable) for them , as well as their children! I love being able to provide support for families and using the power of music to do that.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content