What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2021 Week 5 What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What value do music therapists provide to young families?  Contribute on the forum.

Maria Ramey

Participant

As I noted before, we can help young families identify and embrace “normal” developmental stages they might not have otherwise realized is “normal.” This week’s reading and videos emphasized this further and made me realize that as a trained professional, this can be especially helpful because I present as a voice of authority for parents who really don’t know what they’re doing the first time around. How could they? There is SOO much to learn SOO fast when you first become a parent and it feels like nobody tells you enough of what to expect, much less how to be flexible and adapt!

Very good points! I was a professional music therapist specializing in pediatrics for 6 years before I had my first child. I still felt like I didn’t know what I was doing! I felt even more lost when I added a second child with different needs from the first. Parenting is difficult and so having people who are knowledgeable about childhood development outside of yourself is incredibly helpful especially when that child is not developing typically.

Erika Svolos

Thank you for your insights!

Music therapists are able to develop a safe place for parents to ask questions and experience their child’s developmental abilities without judgement. Music therapy groups for young children are a wonderful way for families to connect with others. Often times, parents with young children feel isolated and need to reach out to develop bonds with other parents. We have that ability to create those safe spaces for them.

Samantha Springer

Participant

Music therapists can provide insight to different developmental stages and allow for the parents to ask questions. Music therapy can be a place for the parents/family to bond and the parents can take music home with them that they have learned in music therapy to practice a variety of skills and/or bond during every day activities.

Mikelia Wallace

Participant

I think music therapist can see development milestones in action through music, a medium that is fun and motivating for kiddos. The value for young families is that they get to see and truly understand these milestones in a different environment, one that is social and highly-motivating, and also be able to ask questions. Another value is the bonding and social component of music, bonding and trust building with the parent, while the kiddo is also discovering how to socialize with peers and where they fit in that social dynamic.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content