What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies – June 2022 Week 5 What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous

Inactive

What value do music therapists provide to young families?

Erika Svolos

We find this question is a great reminder to identify the unique qualities you have to support young children and their families.

Meghan Hanley

Participant

Music therapists can provide opportunities for families to practice motor and speech goals with the non-threatening form of music. Some young families may be unfamiliar or uncomfortable with using live music playing or singing. Music therapists can encourage bonding and interaction with children through exciting and fun music and encouragement.

Holly Jurca

Participant

Meaghan, I like your use of the word non-threatening. Time and time again I see MT exhibit this aspect of doing a task. Just today I witnessed my colleague help to lead a child into the classroom by encouraging him to play the drum back to class.

Holly Jurca

Participant

Music therapists can provide a great number of complex, but also simple things. For example, a music therapist might be able to educate the parents in relation to how music can be used to not only see their child’s developmental level, but also to improve and work on it. Additionally, music therapy can support bonding and connection between family members such as (but not limited to): siblings, parents, and grandparents. Music therapy can also facilitate one of the most important things: joy!

Elizabeth Bentz

Participant

I feel like music therapists provide the opportunity to grow together for young families. Bonding is so important and crucial, and having music therapy as part of early intervention or any type of child-parent class can create an environment for that bond to grow. We are also giving families tools they can use at home to foster development, bonding, and learning in a fun, non-invasive way.

Diandra Doble

Participant

Music therapists can provide so much for parents and their children. Through music, MTs can create a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere for children to engage and for parents to learn about how their child is developing. I love that us music therapists can provide a fun but also educational experience to families. This is so valuable. Parents gain a deeper connection to their child through these musical experiences while also creating a deeper understanding of their child through the education they are absorbing from the MTs. Also, giving parents the ability to take home what they’ve learned and apply it outside of the music room is so beneficial.

Meghan Hanley

Participant

I really agree with what you say about parents being able to apply what they experience and learn outside of music therapy sessions!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content