What was your most valuable takeaway from this weeks' content?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2017 Week 2 What was your most valuable takeaway from this weeks' content?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Please reflect on your takeaway from this week’s material.

This week I really loved having a review of the developmental levels and the added knowledge and experiences that Beth brought to the training. I am someone who learns through doing, and so the use of the scarf, although it felt silly, will most likely prove to be significant in my retention of the material. I also appreciated the occasional ‘red flags” that Beth pointed out as possible signs of developmental delays.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am so glad you found the developmental levels and Beth’s knowledge and experience useful and valuable. I also found this information to valuable and informative in my work.

Elana Dietz-Weinstein

Participant

I found the information on developmental levels incredibly interesting and informative! It is amazing to me how much development occurs in early childhood in such a short amount of time.

Mabel Ortiz

Participant

I am very grateful that we went over the developmental stages (like others have said!). It was very refreshing to me to be reminded and learn about them, since I have not experience them first hand, since I am not a parent myself.I am glad that I have a point of reference.

Carolyn Keenan

Participant

It was really helpful to have a thorough review of the developmental levels. Although I have a 1 year old and I primarily work with ages 3-5, it can be easy to forget what these little ones are capable of! It is so important to have appropriate expectations.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am so glad you are all finding this information informative and helpful in your work. Carolyn you make a great point about how much information is in development it it is difficult to remember all of it. Beth created the Music, Therapy, and Early Childhood: A Developmental Approach book as a working reference for this very reason. It specifically is laid out so you can easily reference things as you are working. I’ve personally found it invaluable when I am working with ages birth to 5 and with older children with developmental disorders.

Laura Pruett

Participant

Oh whoops. I posted my takeaway in the last post. I’ll reiterate a little bit here. My biggest takeaway from week 2’s content was the fact that reality and fantasy/imagination is blurred for early childhood. This has helped me understand squabbles between the preschoolers I work with, and how to better interact with them. I can hopefully use this knowledge to clear up what is real and what is not, and use that to help clear up hurt feelings. I also found reading through the developmental levels incredibly helpful and interesting, and I also appreciated the red flags that Beth pointed out throughout the videos.

Alison Barrington

Participant

I also posted my takeaway in the wrong place – sorry! I found it very useful to have all this information clearly laid out. It is something that I will be able to look at over and over again. It’s also information that can be shared with parents. I was very lucky to go to a presentation by Dr. Patricia Kuhl yesterday and she reiterated all that was included in this week’s material – so there’s lots to learn! Thank you

Jen Hinton

Participant

The developmental information was great to review. I especially appreciated the concrete examples of bending over to pick things up while standing. The red flags were helpful and I think too the reminder to reassure parents of typical development. I currently work with only children but hope to expand my services to include family. I appreciate that we have the reference book. I am hoping to better ground myself in these stages.

Claudia Eliaza

Participant

My apologies… I posted my most valuable takeaway in the reflection section. Here’s what I wrote:
      For a person like me who is not a parent, understanding these milestones that happen at various stages of development is key. This weeks videos and slides helped me to better understand this. It will also help me create more effective musical interventions for my families and kids. As I watched the videos and learned about the birth-3, 3-6mos, 6-9mos, etc, I instinctively began writing songs and creating sort of mock goals and objectives that I might have for some of my classes along. Another thing that I’m looking forward to is proving more education to parents/caretakers about what is happening to the child in music. I find parents are hungry for this kind of knowledge. I have physically seen some parents shrink in posture and in disposition when their child finally gains the independence to freely roam about the room. It’s almost as though some adults use the child as their own personal prop and when that prop gets up and walks (or crawls) away, they’re left feeling uncomfortable and will sometimes even chase down the child out of their own discomfort. But after reading about 24-36 month year olds, I learned that the emotional/social elements of these children really shift and they yearn for a greater sense of independence. This is a great educational moment for parents/character.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content