What was your most valuable takeaway from this weeks’ content?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2015 Week 2 What was your most valuable takeaway from this weeks’ content?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Please reflect on your takeaway from this week’s material.

Lauren Klimek

Participant

My most valuable takeaway from this week’s content would have to be learning about childhood development and how it shapes what musical content and activities I would bring into my groups. It made me think about songs that I have used in the past and had me thinking about how to make them more effective per each age group/parent I work with. I also found it valuable to know how to identify what is “appropriate” and perhaps “red flag” interaction or behavior by a child because sometimes some children just develop at a slower rate than others and sometimes there is a developmental issue that needs to be further examined (i.e. child calling a blue maraca a truck or child calling a blue maraca, red) . I also liked how it was discussed how to talk to a parent when they are concerned or worried about their own child’s growth and development.

Joanna Calahan

Participant

The developmental stages outlined in the module are helping me recognize where some of my preschool clients may or may not have deficits with their development. For example, one of the little guys in the preschool program I work with is delayed with supporting himself, and will often lean to the side when sitting up, so we have to sit with him and provide hand-over-hand assistance to play instruments and feeding himself. While most of the preschoolers in his class are 3-4 years old and able to run, walk, crawl, and sit independently, this little guy is only able to walk and barely prop himself up. It’s been interesting to observe, compare, and reflect on each of my preschool clients’s developmental progress now that I’ve watched and reviewed this module.

Gina Greeson

Participant

Learning about the developmental stages outlined in the module and some brief music examples were very helpful for me. I want to start a group in my area so recognizing these signs and being aware of safety is extremely helpful. I also liked how the module provided helpful hints as to how to interact with the parents. Being aware of the red flags was also helpful. Learning about the developmental stages with help to chose appropriate music for groups.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am glad to hear you all had some great takeaways this week! As you continue the training and posting to the forum, make sure to check back frequently to see what other’s have written. It will add to your experience with this training.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Lauren, I’m glad you mentioned that you thought of some songs you have used in the past. We would all benefit from you sharing any ideas you have! Feel free to use this forum to express ideas and learn new ideas from other participants! Sprouting Melodies is all about taking the framework and making it your own, so any original ideas are welcome!

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, all

When I asked myself this question, two responses immediately came to mind. First, I am extremely grateful for the review of the various developmental stages. I was recently given the green light to actually initiate some conversations with the manager of our child development center regarding offering MT (either in groups or as individual sessions) as part of our NICU follow-up clinic. Having this knowledge, and being able to reference current literature, is unbelievably valuable. The second point may not be considered a traditional “takeaway”, but is something I am equally grateful for: the overall confidence with which the information was presented. I think I remember reading someone’s introductory post, in which they shared having come freom a hospital facility. Maybe it’s just the culture of my facility, but I’ve noticed how every discipline has their “thing”, and unfortunately (especially since I am the only MT in peds) I’ve been viewed as being “the baby whisperer” or as “the one who covers for child life, the art therapist, etc”. This was just a very good reminder that our discipline does have a very unique perspective to offer, and one that truly does have value. Thank you!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

I am glad that the discussion of red flags is helpful. You might be interested in this podcast on the topic of when and how to talk to families about developmental concerns that I recorded for imagine, the early childhood music therapy on-line magazine. The link is below.
      http://imagine.musictherapy.biz/Imagine/podcasts/Entries/2014/9/15_stopping_the_music__why,_when,_and_how_to_discuss_developmental_concerns_with_families.html

Dina Breaux

Participant

My biggest takeaway is the support and encouragement we can give parents and caregivers as they navigate through the world of a young child. It offers them a different perspective on parenting, especially when they feel overwhelmed or have anxiety regarding possible developmental delays when their child does not hit certain milestones. As music therapists, we get to gently suggest and encourage healthy interactions for parents with their children in a non-threatening way through music and play. I believe that’s what really sets us apart from other early childhood providers and makes what we do so unique and special!

Lauren Klimek

Participant

Thanks for the link Beth!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content