Where will you go from here?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2014 Week 10 Where will you go from here?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Where will you go from here? How will this training impact your work as a music therapist?

Lauren Roberts

Participant

Honestly, I am not sure where I am going to go from here! I would love to offer a Sprouting Melodies program through my private practice, but am not confident yet that the timing is right. I am currently working on proposals to two other facilities that would likely generate greater revenue; however, those projects may take longer to complete an implement than would a Sprouting Melodies program. These two programs are NICU and the special education department of a local private school. When looking at age level, Sprouting Melodies would be a great “bridge” between these two populations! So I am wondering if it is wise to build the “bridge” first, or to establish a program on either side of it first?

If all of these plans manage to work out, Sprouting Melodies will have a gigantic impact on my work as a music therapist! As I just mentioned, I imagine it being the “bridge” between two other populations that I am passionate about. This would allow me to potentially make connections with families for YEARS, from birth throughout the child’s schooling. There would be no way to possibly put a true value on that; it would be an invaluable and indispensable part of my private practice if it truly helps build those types relationships.

Barb Blackburn

Participant

Well, to be 100% honest I was going to be a Sprouting Melodies provider through the facility that I am working for, my supervisor took this training and became a provider earlier this year. We were going to begin offering classes in the fall. I have recently accepted another position somewhere else and will be leaving that facility at the end of July (bittersweet). I’m still giving some thought to becoming a provider myself and offering some Sprouting Melodies classes on Saturday mornings at our local library. It all depends on my financial situation since I’m making a career change at the moment.

I learned a great deal of information throughout this training and I hope to be able to put it to good use in the future!!

Ann Dardis

Participant

While I am not intending to start a Sprouting Melodies program, I am going to incorporate my new found knowledge in my current early childhood classes. I’m especially pleased with the information provided about children ages 0 – 18 months. Most of the children in my class have been 18 months or older and so my classes have been geared towards that age range. Currently I have some younger children (8 -12 months) that will be attending this fall. It’s partly because I am now able to confidently answer parent questions about “Is my child too young for class?” And, I can be more sensitive to the younger children’s needs during class as well.

Lauren Caso

Participant

Having run Music and Movement groups for 0-3 yrs old in Boston, and having taught general music in public Elementary schools, it would be exciting to run a Sprouting Melodies group. Since it is an open source model, it would be easy for me to use songs and activities from my own repertoire, and incorporate them into the existing sprouting melodies framework. Also, being exposed to new songs from Beth’s CD has been invaluable. She has a huge repertoire of songs having to do with everything a little one will go through! So there’s something for everyone; More tricks to add to a Music Therapist’s toolbag, and more opportunities to provide developmentally appropriate activities to the children and families we serve! 🙂

Kristen Crouch

Participant

I answered this somewhat in the other question as to how I will use the info I’ve learned as a music therapist. As to whether or not I will be add a SM program to my business is undecided. I love the program and that all the business work is done and packaged together nicely. I’m just trying to determine if this is the right time for me and my business. If I do add it I will recommend other therapists working with me to do the training as well.

Amy Dunlap

Participant

In August, I will go back to school full-time for my master’s in music therapy, so my SM development plans will slowly evolve over the next few years. It is my hope that the company I work for will continue to develop SM programs in the communities where we work. When I am finished with school, I plan to help to build a SM program in my community. Hopefully, the other therapists I work with will have some experience in doing so and we can move forward in a new community.

In my Week 9 post, I mentioned how the training has already impacted my work as a clinician in terms of intentional, musical thought. I notice myself being more dynamic, if you will, in my musical choices in therapy sessions. In my work with adults with severe developmental disabilities, I find the developmental level thinking sneaking in, especially as I evaluate my clients’ responses to sound (or lack of sound). Through the training, I have also learned a whole bunch of great songs that fill in some holes in my repertory. Finally, I have a new appreciation for community programs and all of the work that goes into being a leader and a music therapist in a community, which is a responsibility I agree that we have as providers of a community-based service.

Brandy Jenkins

Participant

**Late Entry as I am Catching Up on Posting**

I have a lot of processing to do! I think the first thing I want to do is articulate how this program is a perfect fit for where I am completing my graduate practicum. I really want to be able to sell this program and the importance of having a music therapist facilitate the early childhood program. I believe your program provided the tools to do that…hence the processing time! 😀

Caitlin Kauffman

Participant

Let me start by saying that I found this entire training incredibly interesting and valuable. As a clinician whose primary professional experience has been with adult hospice patients, this course has really expanded my knowledge base and my ability to provide appropriate services to young children. I do believe every music therapist who works (or hopes to work) with young children should take this course. As for my future Sprouting Melodies plans, I am preparing to move from Ohio to North Carolina in a couple of weeks. A friend and colleague of mine has started a business in the area and I think we hope to start some SM classes in the area. I anticipate that the focus on development will continue to impact my work as a music therapist in any setting, honestly. I can see that it has made me more aware in general, and I hope that will carry over no matter what the population may be.

One of the most valuable takeaways for me has been to “know your value.” From the very first time that was mentioned, I remember sitting there for some time brainstorming what I found valuable in myself and what value I could bring to others. I can absolutely say that is a struggle (probably for many of us), and I have really come to appreciate the skill and drive that it takes for a person to start and build their own business. That may never be the path that I take, but I hope to continue working toward embracing my own value and contribution to the field. When self-doubt creeps in, as it inevitably will, I hope I reflect on that moment several weeks ago – a moment where I was really able to recognize its presence.

Bernadette Skodack

Participant

I’m already seeing how the training impacts my work with adults. Even though the music may not be age appropriate, some of the activities can be tailored to be so. Many of my adults were injured at young ages, so developmentally they fall in this range. As for SM itself, I’m kinda in a holding pattern right now. I just started grad school and don’t want to take on too much in addition to that. I’m also (somewhat patiently) waiting for the camp building for the program I’d like to be a part of to be built. I have regular contact with my clinical director and other upper administrators in my company, so I gently remind them that I’d like to start a program for families at the camp.

Sarah Gagnon

Participant

This work has already impacted my work by giving me confidence in the framework that using the music in such a way can provide. I’m looking forward to developing my skills and writing songs carefully and with intention.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content