Where will you go from here?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – July 2014 Week 10 Where will you go from here?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Where will you go from here? How will this training impact your work as a music therapist?

Kerry Cornelius

Participant

Moving forward, the private practice I work for is gearing up to begin offering Sprouting Melodies classes! Our goal is to begin hosting these classes in 2015, which will give us some time to find out interest in our community, decide which of our 2 clinic spaces should host the class, and advertise! Over the next few months, we plan to offer some free early childhood music classes at our local library branches–we were inspired by Meredith’s discussion about how SM came to be, and want to do the same in our community! We have been corresponding with the librarian in charge of programming in our county and hope to offer our first community library class in the next two months. Even though we won’t officially be offering SM classes for some time, this training has already impacted my knowledge, activity repertoire and confidence for working with this population.

Christina Wensveen

Participant

I will continue to be working in early learning programs in our city school board. At this time, I don’t plan on beginning a sprouting melodies program but may eventually. This course has given me a great knowledge of developmental levels which will most certainly impact my work with children who are developmentally delayed. I also appreciated the tips in Week 9 on drawing children back to the circle and dealing with any issues that arise in the group. That is definitely transferrable to my groups at preschools.

Katie Romano

Participant

At this point I cannot become a Sprouting Melodies provider, but Im from a big city (Chicago) and there may be someone who has classes. So I might contact them. Yet the information and songs I learned are very applicable to a variety of settings with children!

Katherine Sestrick

Participant

I do not have any immediate plans to become a Sprouting Melodies provider, but rather I will use the information and resources in my current work as an Early Intervention Special Instructor. The songs fit right in with my work with home-based teaching. In addition, we follow a coaching model, which also fits perfectly with the information learned from Sprouting Melodies. I already had a good foundation in child development, but now I have concrete information about musical development that I can share with the families. I think that if I were to become a provider, I would first try to form partnerships with child care facilities in my area. I see some kiddos in day care centers and therefore I see the need for a high quality early childhood music program in most of the centers I work in, not only for the children, but also for the staff. The staff needs training on musical development and a wider breadth of songs to share with the children. In my mind, Sprouting Melodies would be the perfect program to fulfill this need.

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

I’m planning on becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider with NeuroRhythm Music Therapy Services, and I couldn’t be more excited! NeuroRhythm works specifically with individuals who have developmental disabilities, and primarily children, so the concept of music as part of development in every child is a natural way to reach out into the community and show what music therapy can do outside of clinical therapy. I personally have a great passion for music in development and how that relates to how our brains grow and develop, and Sprouting Melodies is the perfect foundation for pursuing that passion in both the clinic and, eventually, research. Also, the musical resources and thought put into the needs of young children has altered the perspective from which I view my practice of music therapy.

Kathryn Costanza

Participant

Also, I work occasionally with Adam’s Camp (an intensive, week-long, therapy camp), specifically with young children with developmental delays. All of this information regarding developmental stages, milestones, and the musical levels of development will be invaluable for something that intensive and brief.

Katie Bagley

Participant

I plan to be a practicing Sprouting Melodies provider with my agency. In the meantime, I am already using valuable songs and knowledge from this course to benefit my work with current clients on a pediatric palliative program. Some of these children have varying diagnoses of Autism, and I have found songs including “Gather Round” and many Bonding/Songs About My World to be very beneficial including in our sessions. Having the general SM format of a session to work off of has made me feel more confident in structuring my sessions.

As much as I would love to be a SM provider, I do not currently work with very young children as a music therapist. However, I feel that I have learned a great about early childhood development and in particular, how very young children develop musically. This was my primary reason for taking this course. Taking this course has made me more aware of the subtle ways in which very young children respond to music and I’m sure this skill will transfer to my own work in mental health. I may even write some songs for learning skills development after hearing all your wonderful, original tunes which have inspired me!

Jonni Fogerty

Participant

I plan to continue establishing early childhood groups in my community through my music therapy agency. This training has provided a nice review of developmental milestones and a refresher for considerations when working with young children. However, the information discussed was also a helpful reminder for focusing on developmental sequences when working with older individuals with developmental disabilities, which make up a large part of my practice.

Kasey Sollenberger

Participant

This training will really take my private practice to the next level. I’ve always worked with children but did not have the extensive knowledge that I have now about childhood development. I really enjoyed these last few videos because of the information on the business side of our programs. So much of that information was helpful to me.

Nicole Sanabria

Participant

The Sprouting Melodies training has been invaluable to me as a music therapist. It has encouraged me to review my work and understand how I can provide musical interventions with a measureable outcome that are developmentally appropriate for a young child individually and in a group setting. With the training experience from Sprouting Melodies, I feel more confident in my clinical rationale in my personal work. I’m hopeful that CTMTS will be able to begin Spouting Melodies classes soon, where I can share this experience and information with caregivers and children alike.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content