Where will you go from here?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2014 Week 10 Where will you go from here?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Where will you go from here? How will this training impact your work as a music therapist?

BJ Waelz

Participant

I would like to become an official sprouting melodies provider so that I can bring this fantastic program to my area. Currently there are limited opportunities for early intervention / educational music programs in my county. There are more opportunities in Charlotte which is not far from here, however, it makes it difficult for folks in my area to access choices. I currently have 1 class provided through my church that has about 10 – 12 participants. I would like to expand the program to offer SM1, SM2 and SM3 classes. I feel like this is an outstanding way to expand my practice and with the opportunity for space through my church it will be a realistic possibility. I am currently in contact with local agencies providing early intervention programs so that I can also help provide referrals if necessary. I liked the idea offered about becoming the “one” sought out for my expertise in my local area. I feel like this is an opportunity to expand my practice and bring more awareness to the music therapy profession. I would like to incorporate sharing research and news of music therapy through handouts to my current students and during other events. I am pleased to find an early childhood music program within the Music Therapy Community (I have been a former kindermusik provider, but found the program restricting).

Shonda Malik

Participant

As I mentioned in a previous post I have tried forming classes for preschool ages where I thought there would already be established advertising and foot traffic. I tried a YMCA, a community recreation center and a community arts center. Unfortunately there was never enough sign-ups to run a class. So my first step will need to be approaching my library to offer free monthly groups to build an interest in order to find enough sign-ups.

I have already begun to incorporate the music knowledge I learned from this course into my clinical work. Particular ideas I have been thinking about are how repeating a song multiple times in one session is useful for young ages and that repeating songs with clients across sessions can build skills. In the past I was concerned that such repetition would be boring and lose the client’s interest.

Laura Myers

Participant

I am seriously Thinking of being a SM provider. As I’ve mentioned before I’ve been wanting to start working with children. I currently work part time and after daycare costs I don’t bring in much income. I could begin a SM practice and focus my work on days my husband has off from work and can watch our girls.
      I think focusing my work in the county I live in just outside of St. Louis might be best. There are lots of programs for children in st. Louis county but none that I can find in Jefferson county.
      But, before I can work on any of that I feel I must become more familiar and comfortable with leading childrens songs. I need to learn the music I will be leading.

I think this training will add to my current practice by giving me another set of skills I didn’t previously have. I feel knowledgeable in the development of children, where I had no formal education on it before.

Also, my apologies for not being on the conference call. Monday night’s are my handbell choir rehearsals of which I am the director.

Ian Crawford

Participant

Although I may change my mind down the road, I do not currently plan to become a Sprouting Melodies provider. I started a job working in early childhood about 5 months ago and plan to stay put for a while. That said, the information in this course is already impacting my work in a positive way. So far, what’s helped me the most is all the information on the developmental levels. It’s helping me speak more articulately to parents and other professionals about music therapy, and I feel more confident in my approach to the classrooms I see each week. I’m looking forward to going over all of my notes and re-reading the book so all of this great info will really sink in!

Ericha Rupp

Participant

I am interested in becoming a SM provider once I can figure out how to incorporate it within the facility that I work in. The current community that I work in definitely needs more opportunities for young children and families to get together. I think SM would be ideal and valuable.

Kristina Rio

Participant

I’m so glad to hear the training had such a great impact on all of you!

Lysa Wright

Participant

This knowledge will help me in my current practice at daycares and the early childhood scene. Becoming a SM provider is very appealing to me. It would be nice to incorporate this into the business I work for and fill the void of family music making in this area.

Adrienne Salmon

Participant

Becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider will open up the opportunity for me to get SM groups added to my caseload, and then the knowledge that I have gleamed from this program will really come to light. I also will be incorporating the knowledge into my preschool groups, into my young individual client sessions, and into my groups of kiddos ages 0-5. Additionally, as I had mentioned in the other post from this week, I think that there is a lot of untapped potential in the immediate area around my apartment, that I think is marketable and would be very receptive to SM practices.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content