Where will you go from here?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – March 2015 Week 10 Where will you go from here?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Where will you go from here? How will this training impact your work as a music therapist?

Well as I am not from USA this could be challenging experience to offer Sprouting Melodies program in my town Belgrade/Serbia/Europe for the first time . So that is why I need more information’s how to do that? All that I know as a Music therapist BC (there are just 6 in my country and region) is that I would love to bring that Sprout here.
      But firstly I need to find Serbian songs and nursery rhymes and to adapt them and I need some time for that. Also I have to know what else I should have to adapt for my community. Do you have experience with that? Any extra suggestion and help would be great. THANK YOU

Megan Dewing

Participant

This training has given me much more knowledge of early childhood development, and at what developmental stages I can expect different musical behavior from. This is will, and already has, impacted how I plan for sessions with my younger clients (and even some of my older adult clients in some of the same musical stages). I am also looking forward to sharing this knowledge with my clients parents. I find that sometimes, the parents come in with expectations that their child is just not quite ready to achieve. This knowledge is something that I am excited to share with them, so they can also use music to aid in their child’s development.

Darcy Lipscomb

Participant

I feel like my early childhood practice was in need of some direction, and the Sprouting Melodies training has helped to rejuvenate it! I am excited to continue to lead early childhood groups and practice these skills and interventions. Communication with parents/caregivers is key, and I feel that the training has provided a strong framework of knowledge to draw from and reference when having casual as well as difficult conversations with families.

Anonymous

Inactive

Hi Nana,

I do not believe we have any providers in Europe. So, you would most likely be the first. Meredith and Beth are a wonderful support and I am confident they, along with the Sprouting Melodies Provider network, will be able to help you implement a program in your country. Kristina has passed all of your questions on to Meredith and Beth and they will be getting back to you shortly. Megan and Darcy I look forward to welcoming you to the provider network!

Michelle Russell

Participant

I hope to become a sprouting melodies provider and make it part of my practice. I’m looking forward to provide this service in my community.

Christine Czuhajewski

Participant

From here, I hope to become a provider and be able to offer these experiences to the community. I’m looking forward to working with younger children and getting first hand experience seeing children move through the developmental levels. The training makes me feel more confidant working with younger children. The information shared in the course was really helpful in answering a lot of questions that I’ve had about this age group and also makes me feel better prepared to answer similar questions that parents may have.

Katie Whipple

Participant

I’m very excited to have participated in this training! I will be offering two different classes very soon… one for 6-18 months with an emphasis on sign language and another 18 month-3 years. I will be working on my session plans and will be developing my own names for the classes, etc. It is my hope that offering inclusive, early childhood music programs will help our teaching clinic grow and gain more clients!

Thank you Erika!

Jaycie Voorhees

Participant

The biggest change for me will be my added focus on early childhood in the community–not just a focus on special needs. I love the idea of becoming a strong resource on early childhood and EC music in my area and really want to help families develop a better understanding of childhood development and how music fits into all of it. I’m grateful to have my notes on overall development as well as musical development as I will definitely need to reference them in order to really integrate the information and be able to articulate it independently. It is such valuable information and while I would love to say that I am currently an “expert”, I feel like I need to do more studying, memorization, and have hands on experience to really see and integrate these valuable concepts. So…I plan to pull out my notes from time to time and review them. I also believe that putting together presentations will push me to really integrate the information as I will need to be able to articulate concepts that are newer to me than those that I cover in my typical presentations.

Kayla Lyles

Participant

This training has given me the extra confidence boost that I need when it comes to early childhood and the additional information that I didn’t necessarily learn about in school with regards to children and development. I’ve been able to apply everything I’ve been learning immediately in both group and individual sessions and can’t wait to start my first Family Sprouts group in a week and a half!

Jacquelyn Blankinship

Participant

I feel like I definitely have another edge to my skill-set as a music therapist now that I hope to use moving forward. I also feel like I have some great resources and options for how to use this information. I agree with Jaycie that I don’t yet feel like I’m an expert, but I’m looking forward to marinating in the information, learning the songs even more, and starting to think about the best way to use this information going forward.

Amanda Braden

Participant

Well, I would like to become a Sprouting Melodies provider and begin providing services when I’m able, which won’t be for a while yet. My supervisor and I’s hope is to work together to begin providing Sprouting Melodies through the agency we work for once my supervisor has completed the training herself. She would like for me to take the lead and role of managing the program under her supervision, which is exciting for me as I feel ready to move into a different role at our agency. So, that will definitely impact my work as a music therapist. Aside from that, I have already been able to utilize much of the knowledge gained regarding development and even some of Beth’s great songs in sessions with my current caseload of adults and adolescents with developmental and intellectual disabilities who are developmentally at a young level. My clients have responded with smiles to the new songs I’ve brought into sessions and when I throw more elements of “surprise” into our music-making together. I plan on continuing to utilize the knowledge I’ve received through this training with my current clients before I’m able to provide Sprouting Melodies classes to our community. Thank you to Meredith and Beth for sharing all of this great knowledge and advice with us!

Mary Withington

Participant

I really liked the part about becoming visible in the community, and the list of ways to do that. I have a good relationship with several children’s librarians and have done early childhood music hours to sub for them when they went on vacation. There is a Partnership for Children organization, and I’ve done a few play dates for them with EC music programming. I’d like to investigate partnering with them and offering a music class for lower income families or in the large Hispanic community in my town. ( and put the 2 past years of weekly Spanish lessons to use)! I have already started since beginning this training to use self composed embedded and transition songs, with very good success and I used several of the songs we learned in my general music preschool groups at the church. I will have to give serious thought about giving up the Kindermusik classes I do and switching over to the Sprouting melodies model. I have some questions about this that I need to talk to someone about. Certainly this training has validated what I have been doing and has given me many more tools and knowledge which will only make me a better MT-BC. thank you, PS, If the MT in Serbia starts her Sprouting Melodies group we can all visit and observe her and deduct the trip from taxes!

Anonymous

Inactive

Mary I am so glad you enjoyed the training and are considering becoming a Sprouting Melodies provider. Meredith and Beth will be able to answer all of your questions and help you as you decide how to move forward. Feel free to email or call them! Best of luck!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content