Where will you go from here?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – September 2015 Week 10 Where will you go from here?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Where will you go from here? How will this training impact your work as a music therapist?

Gina Greeson

Participant

Well, I have a few ideas about where to go from here. My first plan is to reach out to a music therapist in private practice in maryland (about 40 minutes away) and she if she would like to add the program to her practice. I also want to reach out to a local storeowner and offer classes in her store. She has lots of room. This training really helped me with what type of music I will use and what behaviors/milestones to look for during the sessions. It also has helped me find more effective ways to communicate with parents.

Kristina Rio

Participant

Gina, those are some great ideas! I’m so glad to see your excitement and eagerness to move forward with the program!

Lauren Klimek

Participant

Since starting the Sprouting melodies training, I’ve reached out to a sensory gym run by 2 occupational therapists to see if they’d like to offer music therapy groups for the children they provide services to and for their community. I met with them about a month a go and this past Saturday, I actually ran two trial groups for 3-5 y/o and 6-8 y/o. I also promoted an infant and toddler group and will be running trials for them next Saturday. The OT’s really get what music therapy is and are very interested in incorporating it into their existing business so we’re hoping to start scheduling groups as early as the beginning of December. I’ve also been speaking with a mother from one of my other groups who is the president of SEPTA in my school district and told her about how I would like to offer groups at our local library and she said that she has already spoken to the director of the library and they are in the process of writing grants to fund classes as there isn’t much offered for the children. She said she had already kept me in mind for running these groups and will invite me to their next meeting! She also encouraged me to attend the SEPTA meeting at the high school scheduled for this week and I plan on going this Thursday night. She would also like for me to run SEPTA funded groups as part of their respite programs. Some other mothers from the group overheard our conversation and were wondering if these services could be provided in their communities and SEPTA organizations. I’m really trying my best to network within the circles I’m already a part of as some of these women have known me and my work for a few years. I’m also trying to find facilities and organizations that don’t offer music therapy but are willing to have me come in and run a free trial to see what the interest is. In my personal experience, I find that everyone is willing to help and spread the word about music therapy (like Meredith said) and sometimes you just have to go out on a limb and ask. I think private practice is a very long limb to go out on but there is such a need for music therapy advocacy and promotion of services and there are so many opportunities, it’s all about what you make of them.

Anonymous

Inactive

Great ideas everyone! Lauren you have done some great leg work. You are making great connections in your community and that will do a lot for your practice. Best of luck.

Lauren Klimek

Participant

Thanks! Fingers crossed it all goes as planned!

Joanna Calahan

Participant

Through this training I have learned new ways to and ideas to approach group music therapy, new ways to explain what’s happening in the kid’s reaction in music with parents, and have gained new points of view for music therapy in the community verses just as clinical practice. At this point, I am not 100% sure if I am ready to begin Sprouting Melodies yet, but am considering it, and know I can apply my new knowledge just mentioned no matter what. I’ve really enjoyed learning about the musical development stages with this age group. If/When I am ready to begin I will most likely reach out to local after school, church groups, childcare, and library programs to get feelers out, as well as look into other service providers in my area. I actually just moved to Texas, and am trying to get settled in here before I start any major projects.

Megan Calabro

Participant

Hi, everyone

This is quite a loaded question, and one that I’ve been seriously praying and thinking about for a few months now. We still do not have any update on my funding at work, so I think it would really be in my best interest to file for an LLC, and offer private practice MT services that are centered around both wellness and early childhood/parenting. I’ve also strongly been considering a second masters degree in social work to sort of “beef up” clinical opportunities. So, we shall see. In the meantime, I’ve been successful in reaching out to our child development center at work, and started facilitating some demo groups/session/interactions/whatever-you-want-to-call-them. Thus far, it’s been pretty well received! If nothing else, it’s networking and an opportunity to further explore the territory.

A couple of things I think I’ve gained most from taking this training is a better understanding and appreciation of both music in early childhood, and how providing opportunities like these can help to grow a private practice. All in all, I really enjoyed my time in this course, and am looking forward to what comes next!

Dina Breaux

Participant

Honestly, I have been wrestling with this question since this training began! I have not been a practicing music therapist since 2010, due to my time spent caring for both my ailing father and father-in-law during their end-of-life journeys. Sadly, my father-in-law passed away in 2013 and my father last December. After the privilege of caring for those two wonderful men, my daughter gave birth to my first grandchild last July and I helped care for her that first amazing year. It was truly a magical time that I enjoyed with my beautiful granddaughter and will be forever grateful I was there for my daughter.
      But as a result of being away from the profession so long, I had forgotten most my music therapy skills. During much of the time I spent with my father, father-in-law and granddaughter, I did call on my MT training, but it wasn’t the same as when I worked with clients. This has become apparent to me as I’ve spent time at my granddaughter’s daycare, trying to remember the little tricks I once had up my sleeve to keep kids engaged. It’s not as easy as I remember! ha ha ha
      For this reason I plan to volunteer with a local music therapy clinic owned by a colleague of mine. It will hopefully be the transition I need to gain my confidence and dust off my MT chops. The support out there in our profession is what has encouraged me to keep going so I look forward to giving back with my time and energy. I feel truly blessed to be a music therapist!

Dina Breaux

Participant

I also believe it will enhance my knowledge base as a music therapist. It has been awhile since I have practiced in the field so my plan is to volunteer at a local music therapy clinic to regain my skill set and hopefully bring a new program to an established agency. The majority of my previous clinical work was 1:1 sessions with children with autism. My hope is that the training I’ve received through Sprouting Melodies will not only give me the tools to effectively work in a group setting, but also help to identify developmental milestones, thus informing my goal planning for future clients.

Anonymous

Inactive

I wish you all the best in your endeavors!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content