Where will you go from here? How will this training impact your work as a music therapist?

Home Forums Sprouting Melodies Training – April 2013 Week Ten Where will you go from here? How will this training impact your work as a music therapist?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Meredith Pizzi

Keymaster

Lisa Klostermann

Participant

I want to first thank you both for sharing this information in such a concise package.  It has been years since I officially studied childhood development, and it was wonderful to have that review alongside of the stages of musical development.

I will most definitely be incorporating this knowledge into my existing business providing early childhood family music as well as preschool music programs.

Kristen Macleod

Participant

I think that this work will really help expand my business. As I have said before there is a lack of activities for young children and parents in the highlands of scotland and many areas are pretty remote. I would love to be able to offer early childhood music groups in different areas in the highlands of Scotland where children and parents could come together and socialize and feel support within the music group environment.  I think its going to take a lot of work on my part to get it started and to advocate and get people involved, but I think it will be so worth it.

I think this training has helped me understand childhood development a lot better and I can already see it impacting my work with clients in that I have a better understanding of where they might be at developmentally and how I can musically support them and meet their needs.  thank you for sharing your music and knowledge and thank you everyone for sharing your ideas.

Emily Seymour

Participant

What a big question!  This training increased my repertoire and also taught me what is musically appropriate for each stage of childhood development.  I don’t feel quite ready to go off on my own just yet-  especially since I don’t have my own private practice.  From here, I am looking forward to practicing what I’ve learned from this course with the young children in the Early Intervention System.  With some clinical time under my belt, I am hoping to get to the point where I feel comfortable saying that I am an expert in this field and population.  Thank you all for the great information over these past ten weeks.

Anonymous

Inactive

I am so glad I took this training. It could not have come a better time for me. I am jumping head first into the private practice “pool” and I am so glad that I can add Sprouting Melodies to the practice! This training has given me a significantly deeper understanding of child development, music development, and how to provide effective services to childhood populations. The information I have gained will definitely guide the work I do with children and I feel more confident in moving forward! Thank you Elizabeth and Meredith!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

And a heartfelt thank you to all of you!

Lauren Bevilacqua

Participant

I am late to the game this week!

I have really enjoyed this course. It has helped my understanding of early childhood development and music. My view of creating songs and experiences for young children has changed drastically. Its not *just* a song… it is a carefully crafted intervention and I think now I am putting that level of care and therapeutic intent back into the music for these young ones.
      The nuts and bolts of the business and the structure of sessions frees me to be a facilitator and fulfill needs presented in my community. I thank everyone for their perspectives and contributions throughout the last 10 weeks. It really flew by quickly!
      Thanks again,

Lauren

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Thanks!

Megan Goddu

Participant

A big thank you for providing this online training. It really had a lot of useful and relevant information. I learned a lot, espeically new songs. =)
      Moving on from here, since I just completed my first year as a music therapist, I am not quite ready to start my own private practice. However, I will be using the knowledge gained here in my current placements as a way to practice and gain my personal, first-hand experience to hopefully later build upon my practice.

Michelle Muth

Participant

I have signed on to become a licensed provider and plan on starting Sprouting Melodies programs in the Pittsburgh area and north in the next couple of months.  I am already seeing the training content influence my work with clients.  In an intergenerational drum circle at the local library a mom got all concerned that her daughter was starting to put her mallet in her mouth.  I asked the age and then explained that this was part of how she explores the world at this point and gave a tip on redirection.  During the same circle another young boy suddenly became very sullen, clearly something had upset him but he was not able or willing to articulate what.  I modeled for the parent continuing the group and letting him have his space.  As the music became more interesting he started showing interest again and I was able to draw him back into the group.  This was a clear example of how a music therapist understands how to work with a group.  Previously, I would not have thought I was modeling anything for the parent, but afterwards the parent talked with me that she is never sure how to work with her son when he gets like that and I simply explained what I was doing and that because he really seemed to need space I gave it to him.  Prior to SM, I’m not sure I would have been able to articulate that or felt it was my place but she was asking for help.  Thanks SM Training!

Elizabeth Schwartz

Keymaster

Great illustration, Michelle.

Courtney Fanello

Participant

I am excited to put all this new repertoire to use and to start providing early childhood music classes. This was the perfect jump start for me to start my own small private practice.I have been very inspired by the emphasis on functional language in the music and have begun to write my own songs as well. I love Beth’s example of using jazzy songs, modes, and various song types. It really creates variety and exposes children to a whole new world of music and fun, creativity and exploration. This has been a great resource and now I am not as intimidated to begin!

Carla Carnegie

Participant

so glad to have this review of the early development stages, and the appropriate music for each, to support healthy growing.  I especially liked the flow of the course, saving the business questions and things that could “hang” us up and steer us off track for the last, after we have had weeks to assimilate, process, and even practice  what we have learned.  Being in my own private practice for  just 1 year now, I am ready to grow myself to the next level—-another step towards building a thriving music therapy practice where I will be hiring other mt’s to work for me to serve and meet needs! I have wanted to grow my practice to incorporate more young ones, and this seems to me to be the best way to do this.  It is the whole package—-just like we work with clients holistically, the SM program is a “whole package” too—-parents, children, siblings, MT, community—all for support and growth, “note by note.”  Thanks to Meredith and Elizabeth for a wonderfully put together program.  I am so glad I now don’t have to come up with logo, etc. but can concentrate on being a stellar facilitator/provider—definitely more my strength, than trying to get the business nuts and bolts off the ground.  I like the emphasis on functional language, and the use of many styles, modes, tempos of songs used.  I too, am a composer, and often find myself composing in the moment as I respond to what I am observing in the moment.   I feel inspired and encouraged to do more formal song writing with mindfulness and intention based on what I have learned about early childhood development, and music development.

Vanessa Talbott

Participant

This training will reinforce my current understanding of early childhood music development and increase my intention behind the use of music with families.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to content